(Topic ID: 329610)

Twilight Zone remake? CGC or other company…

By Richard-NBA-SF2

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 852 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by dtmail209
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4564 (resized).png
IMG_20231130_132631.gif
Pinside_forum_7482342_0.gif
giphy.gif
IMG_5945 (resized).jpeg
7_0918_1200x (resized).jpg
1_0920_1200x (resized).jpg
IMG_5932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5915 (resized).jpeg
8cd40893eeeb9561ce8fe6414cb9f6cc (resized).jpg
158A3C79-913A-482B-8AB3-C804FA1CCF5F.gif
neil-hamburger-3 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
AVvXsEhyBYr2WQF1SRq_2cEZL_eXNUwTaJHge1L19HaOUnPDLHlzC9n6c7KujdzQX1lgeOjHzdFY5Bk0t6dQL6s1ITM4PVwfwo_wLvprcsKLnj4BuzMY7FHKYb1VA7I2
IMG_0933 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3679 (resized).jpeg
There are 852 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 18.
#251 1 year ago

Count me in 100% on a TZr! I hope this is happening for real!

#252 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I will freely admit that I do not understand the contracts in this area, but I am assuming that Brian Eddy gets some sort of check for every Attack From Mars and Medieval Madness sold. I do not think CGC has actually built a run of his games since he moved to Stern. I would assume that Pat Lawlor would get some sort of royalty check for Twilight Zone, although I have no idea how much that would be. He may or may not be able to sign off on whether an outside company remakes those old games.
Disclaimer: This is speculation, and I don't know any of the above for sure.

Big difference between "Getting royalties per unit as part of my compensation package" and "Getting royalties because I own the IP and get paid via a licensing deal"

Designers would be more of the first category. Getting bonuses based on the success of their projects -- not because they individually own the IP. As part of the design team at WMS they were employees - the company owns all their work. They weren't licensing their own work to the company - they were employees or contractors working for the company.

If they were owed money on future runs after they left the company, or how licensed remakes work would really boil down to what their contract was with the company.. but I highly doubt they had anything that rock-solid.

#253 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Nah. Have code 2.0 available as a choice at start, color display, upgraded sound (which is almost a given now that ram is so cheap you don't have to worry about compression) and it will sell like hotcakes.
Added: LED out of the box one would assume.

2.0?
more like maybe an 10.0
that is most of 9.4H + coin play
9.2 is good and 9.4H added an few things / fixes.

or just use 9.4HC like they did for monster bash.

#254 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

especially when other lower-hanging fruit like ToTAN and TOM are still around and able to be done.

That's my point. And TOTAN and ToM, despite not being everyone's cup of tea are likely more "accessible" to reproduce--especially given neither has any licensing associated with it.

#255 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

There is a reason 'geneva switch' is part of our brain's list of familiar words...
But yeah, most of the areas that are problematic in TZ have already been enhanced since the early 90s and in CGC's wheelhouse
Proximity Sensors
Clock Design
MF switches
GI limitations
Display Tech
I think points against a TZ remake are 1) sheer BOM scale and 2) a high expectation of mods/enhancements.
TZ is *THE* original mod machine. Games everywhere are loaded up with all kinds of figurines, extra displays, etc.. all the kind of stuff that is expensive to try to reproduce yourself at small volume. And many are of the licensed material variety too. A CGC game would be compared to a heavily mod'd TZ when talking about 'value'.
Looking at the game, something like the Gumball machine is probably the scariest part. It has like a dozen custom plastic pieces alone. I know many of those were around for a long time, but to produce 2,000 pieces is not something you do from raiding the old parts pin
TZ with new sound
new wide display and art
new GI effects
Modernized Clock and Proximity
Modernized mini PF switches and lighting
New mods to update the piano, slot machine, camera, robbie
Bring in the 3rd magnet
Re-engineered ramp diverter
Re-engineered Gumball machine
I think you would have a compelling offer. But it's a game that represents so much development cost to produce.. and thats before you even broach the whole 3rd party IP topic and how that can impact time and cost.
Still seems like a stretch... especially when other lower-hanging fruit like ToTAN and TOM are still around and able to be done.

Excellent summary. I would guess that Rod Serling's daughters are managing the estate now that his wife died a couple of years ago, probably pretty easy to reboot that. So many of us have really nice examples that CGC/PPS can't really count on prior owners. But the number of new collectors has gone through the roof, so the demand will no doubt be there no matter what they make.

#256 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I will freely admit that I do not understand the contracts in this area, but I am assuming that Brian Eddy gets some sort of check for every Attack From Mars and Medieval Madness sold.

You’re assuming wrong. The original people who made the games don’t get anything or have anything to do with the remakes. I met Brian Eddy at Expo 2014…he had no idea that MM was being remade. I brought him over to the Planetary booth to check it out.

#257 1 year ago

So, the rumor is based off a ramps order. What about the rest of the parts? Surely they aren't making all the other parts in house? Like the gumball machine for instance. Or what about the power balls? I don't imagine any company is selling thousands of those a year.

#258 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So, the rumor is based off a ramps order. What about the rest of the parts? Surely they aren't making all the other parts in house? Like the gumball machine for instance. Or what about the power balls? I don't imagine any company is selling thousands of those a year.

True, but I'm guessing those items can be sourced from other companies that don't normally deal with pinball folks. Especially the powerballs.

#259 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Stern was able to source powerballs for Avatar LE and Rolling Stones LE. I doubt it will be an issue.

#260 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Stern was able to source powerballs for Avatar LE and Rolling Stones LE. I doubt it will be an issue.

I'm not saying it's an issue to get them. I'm saying if CGC is in the process of procuring parts, there's probably a record of it because these things aren't flying off the shelves and are probably low in quantity by those that do have them (powerballs was just an example). In other words probably need to be made to order for such a large order and we're talking lots of custom models. (also was not aware these were used in Avatar or RS).

#261 1 year ago

Powerballs are literally just ceramic ball bearings. They aren't cheap, but you can buy them on Amazon right now. I'm sure CGC would have the economies of scale on their side, and would just purchase a bulk order from any ball bearing supplier.

#262 1 year ago

You guys are getting a little too caught up in the 'powerball' aspect of the comment. That was just one of the parts I thought of that this game uses.

#263 1 year ago

I love my TZ but the game had high production numbers and is still easily purchased for under 10k now. To me, it doesn't make sense for CGC to do TZ at this time. The extra razzle dazzle might sway me but I am thinking I'll be happy just keeping my original.

#264 1 year ago

Anyone know the original price when it first came out?

#265 1 year ago
Quoted from waletboy:

Anyone know the original price when it first came out?

I think MSRP was $3395

#266 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I hate to break it to you guys, but I was ordering a TZ ramp a month or so back and my cat must have walked across the keyboard as I was getting a beer. I didn't realize I had ordered 1500 until now. So this thread is all due to a curious feline.

#267 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

this thread is all due to a curious feline.

I hear the next remake is “Bad Cats” …

#268 1 year ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

2.0?
more like maybe an 10.0
that is most of 9.4H + coin play
9.2 is good and 9.4H added an few things / fixes.
or just use 9.4HC like they did for monster bash.

Normies can't grasp that nuance.

Original code <--> New 2.0 code!

#269 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

I hate to break it to you guys, but I was ordering a TZ ramp a month or so back and my cat must have walked across the keyboard as I was getting a beer. I didn't realize I had ordered 1500 until now. So this thread is all due to a curious feline.

Pics of the cat or it didn't happen.

#270 1 year ago

I respectfully disagree about the TZ age thing you mentioned…I’m 34 and TZ is one of my favorite tv shows along with many other people around my age range! I completely agree that TAF is probably more popular, but I wouldn’t say it’s so much more popular. TAF does have the upper hand as popularity goes because the movie released while we were growing up and like you mentioned it’s even more popular now with an even younger audience because of the new Wednesday show.

Although, I really do think a TZ remake will have the upper hand sales wise and especially if they release a limited B&W version like the one Great American Pinball made!

Quoted from pinballaddicted:

We have had a TZ in our collection for the last few years. The younger generation (40 or less) do not go anywhere near it. It is no where near as popular as TAF. Since Wednesday has come out, the younger generation is asking to come over to play TAF.

#271 1 year ago
Quoted from spidey:

images (3) (resized).jpegimages (3) (resized).jpeg
#272 1 year ago
Quoted from Maverick222:

I respectfully disagree about the TZ age thing you mentioned…I’m 34 and TZ is one of my favorite tv shows along with many other people around my age range! I completely agree that TAF is probably more popular, but I wouldn’t say it’s so much more popular. TAF does have the upper hand as popularity goes because the movie released while we were growing up and like you mentioned it’s even more popular now with an even younger audience because of the new Wednesday show.
Although, I really do think a TZ remake will have the upper hand sales wise and especially if they release a limited B&W version like the one Great American Pinball made!

That is awesome.. I am only explaining what happens with us and our home collection. If the younger generation love TZ, I think that is great for pinball and its future. My wife and I are pinheads and we like all pinball machines from every era.

#273 1 year ago
Quoted from spidey:

Here he is. The one responsible for this mistaken rumor. He is "Mr Binx".

Draw some red horns on him like Angus. He's a dick.

IMG_20230123_190409094 (resized).jpgIMG_20230123_190409094 (resized).jpg
#274 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Here he is. The one responsible for this mistaken rumor

Luckily he has 9 lives ...

#275 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

[quoted image]

Haha!

#276 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Beautiful cat.

#277 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pat doesn’t code so I doubt having him “on board” would sell any extra TZ remakes.

It’s Pinside…have Pat slap a signature on a hundred of them and call it some special limited name and someone will pay more for it…

The above aside, I agree fully with you.

#278 1 year ago

Same here! Just like you I’m basing it off my own personal experiences so who really knows haha! I do hope my generation and the generations below me continue to love pinball and of course twilight zone! Also thanks for being kind about my response!

Quoted from pinballaddicted:That is awesome.. I am only explaining what happens with us and our home collection. If the younger generation love TZ, I think that is great for pinball and its future. My wife and I are pinheads and we like all pinball machines from every era.

#279 1 year ago

DAMN CAT !

Quoted from Beechwood:

[quoted image]

#280 1 year ago
Quoted from Maverick222:

Same here! Just like you I’m basing it off my own personal experiences so who really knows haha! I do hope my generation and the generations below me continue to love pinball and of course twilight zone! Also thanks for being kind about my response!

All good. We are all her because we love pinball!

#281 1 year ago

I'll go ahead and place a bet:

If TZr is going to happen, in order to really set it apart as a "new" game, I'll be they make the clock a full LCD screen. They could use something like this to make it happen. ebay.com link: itm

It'd be cool as all get out, sure, but I'd imagine it'd be a lot to do, programming and interface-wise. Still a decent possibility, though. I'd be impressed if they did it...

#282 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I'll be they make the clock a full LCD screen.

Cool and customizable, and honestly the perfect place to put something like that, no doubt.

For me, however, the whole point of pinball is that it's one giant mechanical rube goldberg machine, and more than anything, that's what makes TZ so damn special. It's the pinnacle of rube.

Sterilizing the "mechanical-ness" with LCD screens is one of the reasons I'm so put off by new games. Like, I get it, an LCD is technically superior, but I'll be damned if a little motorized mechanical clock run solely on clever cogs, motors, and optos isn't infinitely cooler.

#283 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Re-engineered ramp diverter

I must have missed something. What's wrong with the ramp diverter?

#284 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Kind of strange. There are three holes for the back leg brackets. Even in the lower holes and the legs cranked all the way up, it's only stock pitch on my game.

There are three holes for the front legs too. That was Jim Patla's clever (patented!) idea for not having to ship games with shorter legs for markets that wanted the games to sit lower. Obviously the game should be set up with all legs bolted into the lower two holes for normal US height, or all legs bolted into the upper two holes if you want the game to sit lower; the holes shouldn't be mixed to alter the pitch of the game.

https://image-ppubs.uspto.gov/dirsearch-public/print/downloadPdf/5465963

#285 1 year ago
Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

I must have missed something. What's wrong with the ramp diverter?

Probably the fact the ball bounced off it unless you put a magnet on the other side of it

#286 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

but I'll be damned if a little motorized mechanical clock run solely on clever cogs, motors, and optos isn't infinitely cooler.

Rush Premium also has a mechanical clock, right? But that doesn't seem to have gotten much notice, when was the last time we heard anyone talking about that?

#287 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I'll go ahead and place a bet:
If TZr is going to happen, in order to really set it apart as a "new" game, I'll be they make the clock a full LCD screen. They could use something like this to make it happen. ebay.com link: itm
It'd be cool as all get out, sure, but I'd imagine it'd be a lot to do, programming and interface-wise. Still a decent possibility, though. I'd be impressed if they did it...

No, you got that all wrong.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#288 1 year ago

Because none of us can play our Rush pins because of fried node 10 boards

Quoted from vikingerik:

Rush Premium also has a mechanical clock, right? But that doesn't seem to have gotten much notice, when was the last time we heard anyone talking about that?

#289 1 year ago

you would have to relocate the inside threaded corners before the legs

can be bolted in the upper hole set, at least on my TZ anyway . . .

Quoted from frobozz:

There are three holes for the front legs too. That was Jim Patla's clever (patented!) idea for not having to ship games with shorter legs for markets that wanted the games to sit lower. Obviously the game should be set up with all legs bolted into the lower two holes for normal US height, or all legs bolted into the upper two holes if you want the game to sit lower; the holes shouldn't be mixed to alter the pitch of the game.

#290 1 year ago
Quoted from fast_in_muskoka:

you would have to relocate the inside threaded corners before the legs
can be bolted in the upper hole set, at least on my TZ anyway . . .

Then someone has replaced the nut plates with standard (more easily obtainable!) ones.

#291 1 year ago
Quoted from frobozz:

Ahh I wondered why it was like this! Thank you for that tidbit!

#292 1 year ago

That's what I guessed, these are full metal corners which are screwed in,

although look fairly original to the cabinet . . .

Quoted from frobozz:

Then someone has replaced the nut plates with standard (more easily obtainable!) ones.

#293 1 year ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Probably the fact the ball bounced off it unless you put a magnet on the other side of it

Ohhh, the bridge diverter. For some reason I was thinking of the right ramp diverter and wondering who was having trouble with that.

Fair point.

#294 1 year ago

Im in!

#295 1 year ago
Quoted from OSUBuckeye98:

I play mine. This issue isn’t happening for everyone.

#296 1 year ago
Quoted from OSUBuckeye98:

Unless you have the more reliable Rush Pro model.

#297 1 year ago

Already reached out to a distributor and I’m now #1 on the list once this is officially announced!

#298 1 year ago
Quoted from waletboy:

Already reached out to a distributor and I’m now #1 on the list once this is officially announced!

Nice!!

#299 1 year ago
Quoted from waletboy:

Wait this was announced?????

#300 1 year ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Wait this was announced?????

No

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 29.95
$ 12.95
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 852 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-twilight-zone-remake-/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.