(Topic ID: 329610)

Twilight Zone remake? CGC or other company…

By Richard-NBA-SF2

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 852 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 days ago by dtmail209
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4564 (resized).png
IMG_20231130_132631.gif
Pinside_forum_7482342_0.gif
giphy.gif
IMG_5945 (resized).jpeg
7_0918_1200x (resized).jpg
1_0920_1200x (resized).jpg
IMG_5932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5915 (resized).jpeg
8cd40893eeeb9561ce8fe6414cb9f6cc (resized).jpg
158A3C79-913A-482B-8AB3-C804FA1CCF5F.gif
neil-hamburger-3 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
AVvXsEhyBYr2WQF1SRq_2cEZL_eXNUwTaJHge1L19HaOUnPDLHlzC9n6c7KujdzQX1lgeOjHzdFY5Bk0t6dQL6s1ITM4PVwfwo_wLvprcsKLnj4BuzMY7FHKYb1VA7I2
IMG_0933 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3679 (resized).jpeg
There are 852 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 18.
#151 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

It’s the opposite- with a 5th movie coming out they will want all of the attention on the newer releases.
It is very likely the reason why we got a Toy Story 4 pin

Also… we are not sure who owns all of the licenses…. There are no guarantees that all of stakeholders in the 5th film are the same as the first 3.

#152 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

If the rumors are true, this would be the first remake that has me truly baffled. The most complex/expensive build, a multi-tiered license to wrangle, high original production numbers, and it's already owned by the most pinsiders of any game out there. There are always people who just want a new build, but NIB sales would also be competing with the hundreds of discounted original TZs from people who want to upgrade.

Give me your old discounted restored over a new remake anyday

#153 1 year ago

It's a beast of a game to redo...congrats to CGC if they do it

#154 1 year ago

Regarding an IJ IPA remake. There's lots of money to be made if it happens, based on IJ TPA aftermarket sales. That's pretty solid reasoning for CGC looking into a remake.

#155 1 year ago
Quoted from dts:

If a single part on the CCr topper can shut down the production, imagine what could happen here.

Come on, that’s a cheap shot. That could happen to any manufacturer with any custom part if a subcontractor screws up.

#156 1 year ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

It's a beast of a game to redo...congrats to CGC if they do it

They are struggling with Cactus Canyon… TZ is in a different league

#157 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Come on, that’s a cheap shot. That could happen to any manufacturer with any custom part if a subcontractor screws up.

See ford bronco roof issues. Perfect example of this

#158 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The bond movies are 60 years old and by all accounts the licensing process is a total ongoing nightmare, so that’s not really how it works.

To be fair, only one Bond movie is 60 years old.

#159 1 year ago

IJ for the steal! TZ is a great theme and pretty game , but a clunky shooter. IJPOTA all the way!!!

#160 1 year ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Give me your old discounted restored over a new remake anyday

Ha! Not me, personally. I'd never say never, but part of the reason I love B/W games is because they are B/W games. Accept no substitutes.

#161 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Not a cheap shot, I'm a fan of Doug Duba and CGC in general. Just a numbers game, the number of parts in TZ and complexity exceed the prior games, so more issues can occur.

#162 1 year ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Just curious so no way trying to be an ass, but how do you have this insider knowledge on next game. In the end I am excited to see it come out if they do create it I am just surprised it will sell that well and will also be cost effective to make.

Conversation with someone I know with Ryan at CGC.

#163 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

or wanna downvote me for saying I don’t like it?

DV because you said it's overrated (I disagree) and your claim it's a grindfest (I disagree).

#164 1 year ago
Quoted from dts:

Not a cheap shot, I'm a fan of Doug Duba and CGC in general. Just a numbers game, the number of parts in TZ and complexity exceed the prior games, so more issues can occur.

I've restored TZ and MB and I thought they were equally a bitch to rebuild. I hate the monster table more than anything on TZ that I can think of. So I think they can handle the build since they did MB.

What i don't get is there are 4x-15x more TZs than any other game CGC has done so far or why anyone thinks TZs rules are shallow. I think the nuances of that game would be longer than a stern rulesheet.

#165 1 year ago
Quoted from KJL:

I've restored TZ and MB and I thought they were equally a bitch to rebuild. I hate the monster table more than anything on TZ that I can think of. So I think they can handle the build since they did MB.
What i don't get is there are 4x-15x more TZs than any other game CGC has done so far or why anyone thinks TZs rules are shallow. I think the nuances of that game would be longer than a stern rulesheet.

After I posted that, I was thinking about Monster Bash remake, agree that is a really complex game. I also think the remake is just exceptional. I'd love to see what they would do with a TZ remake, a special theme for me. But since so many TZs are available, and other games like ToTAN super expensive, that would be my preference. An updated ToTAN with more code, a topper, rgb would be amazing.

#166 1 year ago

I've redone two TZ's and its actually pretty straightforward. The sub-mechanisms are not too bad including the clock and gumball machine. I actually had more time into redoing a Taxi than a TZ...those interlocking ramps would be a nightmare on an assembly line IMHO.

As for CGC struggling to CCr out, its not the pinball machine....its the topper which is a totally new device.

As a current TZ owner, if the pricing was reasonable, I would be in for a TZr. I think CGC does a great job and TZ is an epic title with a ton of appeal. To be honest with you, CGC could keep building any of these "A"-list Bally Williams titles (AFM, MB, TZ, CC) and they will most likely sell them all without issue. The demand is out there.

#167 1 year ago
Quoted from KJL:

or why anyone thinks TZs rules are shallow. I think the nuances of that game would be longer than a stern rulesheet.

Yeah TZ is probably the deepest Bally/Williams game. I haven't played them all - but there is a lot to do on TZ

#168 1 year ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I've redone two TZ's and its actually pretty straightforward. The sub-mechanisms are not too bad including the clock and gumball machine. I actually had more time into redoing a Taxi than a TZ...those interlocking ramps would be a nightmare on an assembly line IMHO.
As for CGC struggling to CCr out, its not the pinball machine....its the topper which is a totally new device.
As a current TZ owner, if the pricing was reasonable, I would be in for a TZr. I think CGC does a great job and TZ is an epic title with a ton of appeal. To be honest with you, CGC could keep building any of these "A"-list Bally Williams titles (AFM, MB, TZ, CC) and they will most likely sell them all without issue. The demand is out there.

Interesting to hear from you guys that have taken them apart completely. I guess I'll eat my words on that and look forward to seeing a remake.

#169 1 year ago
Quoted from dts:

But since so many TZs are available, and other games like ToTAN super expensive, that would be my preference. An updated ToTAN with more code, a topper, rgb would be amazing.

Same here, ToTAN would be my choice out of all the old Bally/Williams games to redo next. Just gotta wait and see what they do.

#170 1 year ago

It just doesn't make much sense for me for all the reasons stated, unless they've decided to go all-in on the widebodies (TZ/IJ) in the next 5 years.

The prices would be well into the five figures, so they'd basically be changing their current model from selling a lot for less to selling fewer for much more.

#171 1 year ago

Sure, there are "lots of TZ machines available", and even some at decent ($8-9K) prices.

But when was the last time you saw a NIB TZ available? And even if you found one, what would its price be?

And yes, you can get a "high-end" restored one that is as good as NIB, but you'll be paying big bucks for that...

As long as CGC can sell them for a reasonable price (and these days I'm not sure what that even means), they will sell as many as they want to make.

#172 1 year ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Sure, there are "lots of TZ machines available", and even some at decent ($8-9K) prices.
But when was the last time you saw a NIB TZ available? And even if you found one, what would its price be?
And yes, you can get a "high-end" restored one that is as good as NIB, but you'll be paying big bucks for that...
As long as CGC can sell them for a reasonable price (and these days I'm not sure what that even means), they will sell as many as they want to make.

I would argue even a nicely restored TZ would blow a remake away. Doesn’t have to be a zillion HEP restoration

#173 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

IJ is a licensing nightmare. Pinball Arcade tried forever for a virtual remake but never got close. CBS/Paramount were the opposite, very easy to deal with for TZ and STTNG.

I think Farsight just sucked at licensing? Zen Pinball remade IJ

#174 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It just doesn't make much sense for me for all the reasons stated, unless they've decided to go all-in on the widebodies (TZ/IJ) in the next 5 years.
The prices would be well into the five figures, so they'd basically be changing their current model from selling a lot for less to selling fewer for much more.

Why does everyone assume widebodies are so much more costly to build than standard bodies? I doubt TZ's BOM is even $500 more than CC's. Spooky is pricing a Scooby Doo widebody under $10k, and I'm sure TZr will be about the same price. $10k LE, $9k SE is a modest jump over CC prices - and a welcome option over current Stern/JJP pricing.

#175 1 year ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Is it my imagination or is the pitch of a TZ less than most games. I love TZ it’s one of my forever in collection game but I find it plays slower than most games. For full disclosure my TZ is in the pipeline to be restored also wondering if a clear coat will speed that up too

Depends which holes on the back the legs are bolted to.

I have mine set to 6 1/2 degrees.

LTG : )

#176 1 year ago
Quoted from jackd104:

I still find TZr an odd choice. I like the game (I have one) but it doesn’t have broad appeal. Not in the same way as the other CGC remakes. The prior ones are games that all do well with a more general audience, and on location. TZ is popular with the die hard pin heads (for good reason). If I were a company trying to sell games, I’d be concerned about the relatively small market and especially that operators will pass. Anyway, if it happens it will be fun to watch and I’d be happy for the pin heads that get to have a shiny new TZ.

I keep seeing similar arguments, but do all of the people with similar sentiments feel like Cactus Canyon was really a better choice with more broad appeal? TZ makes perfect sense, just like MMr, AFMr, and MBr did... Its a desirable game that sells for a lot of money. It doesn't really matter if there is a lot of them, theres more demand than the available supply. Some people just like the idea of a shiny new version of an all time classic. There is a lot going on with the game but theres really not that many items that aren't standard pinball parts such as custom sculpts (the gumball machine maybe? Seems easy to recreate compared to other things). I don't know...it makes sense to me.

They haven't done a wide body yet either but that doesn't seem to be a stretch either. Plenty easy for them to get their hands on widebody spec parts such as cabinets, lockdown bars, ect. Other companies are doing it or have done it recently.

#177 1 year ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

I would argue even a nicely restored TZ would blow a remake away. Doesn’t have to be a zillion HEP restoration

Why would you think this? A "nicely restored" MB does not "blow away" an MBr. Sure, there are some people that "only want originals", but most everyone agrees that CGC's build quality is excellent.

And CGC's larger color displays, color-changing LEDs, and enhanced sound are distinct improvements over the originals. Yes, you could add ColorDMD and Pinsound into your original, but then you are adding even more cost to your "nicely restored" version.

#178 1 year ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Why would you think this? A "nicely restored" MB does not "blow away" an MBr. Sure, there are some people that "only want originals", but most everyone agrees that CGC's build quality is excellent.
And CGC's larger color displays, color-changing LEDs, and enhanced sound are distinct improvements over the originals. Yes, you could add ColorDMD and Pinsound into your original, but then you are adding even more cost to your "nicely restored" version.

Because it’s a b/w game instead of some random company that remakes games.

#179 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah... although there is a lot of smoke on this one. It is a bit of a head scratcher.

#180 1 year ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Because it’s a b/w game instead of some random company that remakes games.

Not totally random. CGC did make TZ playfields and cabinets for Williams.

#181 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Why does everyone assume widebodies are so much more costly to build than standard bodies?

Yeah, it's not a scary word. It's just another CAD file for the playfield, another for the cabinet, different size glass. You use slightly more wood.

Absolutely none of this is a big deal, or a huge expense. So long as your equipment to handle things, press to dimple, conveyer belts, whatever, aren't constrained such that they can't handle a few more inches of width there's just no difference.

#182 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not totally random. CGC did make TZ playfields and cabinets for Williams.

It’s the same company that made the blanks. Seen CGC stamped on sides of playfields

#183 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Why does everyone assume widebodies are so much more costly to build than standard bodies? I doubt TZ's BOM is even $500 more than CC's. Spooky is pricing a Scooby Doo widebody under $10k, and I'm sure TZr will be about the same price. $10k LE, $9k SE is a modest jump over CC prices - and a welcome option over current Stern/JJP pricing.

It's not just the added cost in materials of going wide.

They may have to reconfigure their production line to accomodate widebodies. It's more R&D, plus, games like TZ and IJ are just a shitload more loaded than they stuff they've reproed already. Don't need to rehash what's been discussed for 4 pages, I just think doing IJ and TZ is a lot more complicated and expensive than the stuff they've been doing or could do, and it really would represent a real shift in their business model. I think you are dreaming if you think a "modest jump over CC prices" is what we'd see if they actually produced these games. Would be more like TS4 pricing.

It's not just the added cost of materials and production. Why would you bother with all of this if you weren't going to try to greatly improve your profit per unit?

#184 1 year ago

Widebody...

- different parts to stock and inventory
- more material in the cab and pf (not huge, but not zero)
- potentially more bits in the BOM (you need to fill that space..)
- making sure all your production facilities can handle the cabinet and PF. Notice all those little dollies, roller coveyors and jigs all over the factory? Not everyone built to handle both cabinets. If you didn't, this is a significant adjustment

Biggest point is it's different.. and differences cost in production. If you are looking at returns... it's usually better to just filter out those risks.

#185 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Widebody...
- making sure all your production facilities can handle the cabinet and PF. Notice all those little dollies, roller coveyors and jigs all over the factory? Not everyone built to handle both cabinets. If you didn't, this is a significant adjustment
Biggest point is it's different.. and differences cost in production. If you are looking at returns... it's usually better to just filter out those risks.

I would think the #1 difference would be the expense to ship overseas. It could seriously change the number of pins that may fit in a container. That could hit the customer base with prices already pushing limits.

#186 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Widebody...

When Williams entered the widebody market in the late 70s, they built an entire new line dedicated to these games. I'm sure that wasn't cheap.

If you are willing to accept that going wide is going to incur significant expenses/investment (which not everybody is, some think it's just that the cabinet will cost a little more) it really doesn't make much sense. TZ and IJ...that's it. Are people clamoring for Roadshow and Demo Man repros?

#187 1 year ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

It’s the same company that made the blanks. Seen CGC stamped on sides of playfields

The stamp is CCC. Churchhill Cabinet Company.

#188 1 year ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

The stamp is CCC. Churchhill Cabinet Company.

which is now CGC

#189 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

IJ for the steal! TZ is a great theme and pretty game , but a clunky shooter. IJPOTA all the way!!!

I went through some weird collecting trends. At one time I collected proto type stuff. Then I collected all the Williams double level games. Next thing I collected was all the Bally/Williams DMD wide body games and that switched to having all the B/W DMD games. Out of all the B/W wide body games, I hated IJ the most followed by Roadshow. TZ lasted the longest in my collection along with STTNG.

#190 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

which is now CGC

Yes. But the playfields and cabinets in the Bally/Williams days were never stamped CGC. Actually in 1996 Churchill moved into the Lenc-Smith building so all those LS stamped B/W stuff was also made in the old LS/CCC building that CGC (Chicago Gaming) has now.

#191 1 year ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I went through some weird collecting trends. At one time I collected proto type stuff. Then I collected all the Williams double level games. Next thing I collected was all the Bally/Williams DMD wide body games and that switched to having all the B/W DMD games. Out of all the B/W wide body games, I hated IJ the most followed by Roadshow. TZ lasted the longest in my collection along with STTNG.

Hated IJ? Strong word...any particular reason?

#192 1 year ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

MBr is gorgeous. I almost bought one to replace my original MB, but then I played one. If you’re used to a real one - they just feel different. I opted to keep my original, it just feels right. I had an MMr for about 7 years and enjoyed it, but I never had an original. If I get MM again, I’m going original.

#193 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think you are dreaming if you think a "modest jump over CC prices" is what we'd see if they actually produced these games. Would be more like TS4 pricing.

So Spooky can make a brand new widebody for under $10k, but CGC can't make a remake widebody for the same price?

Not every manufacturer is stupid enough to follow JJP over the cliff...most of us passed on TS4 because of the cost alone - it's why several distribs still have TS4CEs in stock.

#194 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

So Spooky can make a brand new widebody for under $10k, but CGC can't make a remake widebody for the same price?

Not many people would buy a brand new Spooky widebody for over $10K. Scooby isn't even sold out at under $10K, which I wouldn't think relevant but I'll bring up since you've crowbarred TS4 into the discussion.

Plenty would buy a brand new TZ or IJ for over $10K.

Why bother going through all the trouble to invest in this project if you aren't going to maximize your profits?

#195 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not many people would buy a brand new Spooky widebody for over $10K. Scooby isn't even sold out at under $10K, which I wouldn't think relevant but I'll bring up since you've crowbarred TS4 into the discussion.
Why bother going through all the trouble to invest in this project if you aren't going to maximize your profits?

If they are only making 1,500, do they really use an "assembly line" per se, or just have them set up in a room like spooky does. Sounds as if they aren't planning on making 15,000 + like the original run.

Fun fact, look at the top 100, and what has been remade by CGC. Seems TZ is next in line.

I personally think they should do TAF next. Even with all the units out in the wild, seems like it's never enough to meet demand. That title would kill in sales. I know I would buy one.

#196 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Not every manufacturer is stupid enough to follow JJP over the cliff...most of us passed on TS4 because of the cost alone - it's why several distribs still have TS4CEs in stock.

CCr SE is what - $8000 or little more? Not only is TZ widebody, but has upper pf, subways, 4 flippers, lots of magnets, and plenty more mech. I would be absolutely shocked if you can produce TZ for less than $10000. Even a basic Stern pro is now $7000. Maybe it can be done but what's the point if you don't make any money doing it?

#197 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Fun fact, look at the top 100, and what has been remade by CGC. Seems TZ is next in line.

But CC was ranked around #58 before the recent inflated reviews by remake buyers. The common denominator to date has been that the games had no more than a few thousand units produced originally.

#198 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

MBr is gorgeous. I almost bought one to replace my original MB, but then I played one. If you’re used to a real one - they just feel different. I opted to keep my original, it just feels right. I had an MMr for about 7 years and enjoyed it, but I never had an original. If I get MM again, I’m going original.

Hence my comment that "some people only want originals", and that's fine. But it is not a true statement that "a restored original will blow away a NIB remake".

Some will prefer the original, others will prefer an improved (big color display, changing LEDs, etc.) remake.

As to how the two "feel", I won't claim to tell you what you feel, but to me...every original MM feels different from every other original MM, and the remakes feel well within the range of differences between them all.

Besides, I haven't played a NIB original MM in a very long time, so I can't say how that might feel nowadays.

My EBD-LE feels very different from my brother's one, even though they are both original. If EBD gets remade, odds are it will feel different from both of ours.

#199 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You brought up "TS4 pricing" - not me, so not sure how I'm "crowbarring" it into the conversation.

But you just made my point for me - "Spooky isn't even sold out at under $10k" is exactly why CGC wouldn't be stupid enough to price TZr at TS4 levels. "Plenty of people would buy a brand new TZ for over $10k" is not 1500 LEs and 1500 SEs. If they price it attractively (ie $9k SE/ $10k LE), they will sell 3k of them (or more).

Quoted from jawjaw:

CCr SE is what - $8000 or little more? Not only is TZ widebody, but has upper pf, subways, 4 flippers, lots of magnets, and plenty more mech. I would be absolutely shocked if you can produce TZ for less than $10000. Even a basic Stern pro is now $7000. Maybe it can be done but what's the point if you don't make any money doing it?

CCr SE is $8k, correct. So a $9k TZr SE would make you more money per unit as the difference in CC BOM vs TZ BOM is highly likely to be less than $1k.

#200 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

You brought up "TS4 pricing" - not me, so not sure how I'm "crowbarring" it into the conversation.

Errr....

Quoted from Damonator:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 12.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 852 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-twilight-zone-remake-/page/4?hl=norcalpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.