(Topic ID: 329610)

Twilight Zone remake? CGC or other company…

By Richard-NBA-SF2

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 852 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by dtmail209
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4564 (resized).png
IMG_20231130_132631.gif
Pinside_forum_7482342_0.gif
giphy.gif
IMG_5945 (resized).jpeg
7_0918_1200x (resized).jpg
1_0920_1200x (resized).jpg
IMG_5932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5915 (resized).jpeg
8cd40893eeeb9561ce8fe6414cb9f6cc (resized).jpg
158A3C79-913A-482B-8AB3-C804FA1CCF5F.gif
neil-hamburger-3 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
AVvXsEhyBYr2WQF1SRq_2cEZL_eXNUwTaJHge1L19HaOUnPDLHlzC9n6c7KujdzQX1lgeOjHzdFY5Bk0t6dQL6s1ITM4PVwfwo_wLvprcsKLnj4BuzMY7FHKYb1VA7I2
IMG_0933 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3679 (resized).jpeg
There are 852 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 18.
#101 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Not a chance. $12,500 standard. $15,000 LE.

I agree. Those $9k days are gone.

#102 1 year ago
Quoted from FalconDriver:

I agree. Those $9k days are gone.

agree ... if its CGC the terrible communication and delays are forever!

#103 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

We’re in the era of the NIBNEWB. Haven’t you seen gameroom pics over the past few years? Zero classics. 100% Stern lineups, sometimes sprinkled with a CGC Remake or JJP. There are lots of pin buyers who won’t even entertain the idea of a used pin.

More for us then!!!! They will pay for a HEP restoration though or something equivalent

#104 1 year ago
Quoted from Skatewake:

Heck no. Ive had mine since the mid 90's

Not a chance

#105 1 year ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Put me on the list for TOTAN, TOM, MMr, and Scared Stiff before a TZ is made.

I'd like to see TOTAN as well if the code were extended/tweaked.

But I have it on very good authority that the TOTAN license is currently unavailable. Not sure if it's due to the Mirco TOTAN kit or what - I just know that they couldn't do TOTAN right now even if they wanted to.

#106 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

But I have it on very good authority that the TOTAN license is currently unavailable. Not sure if it's due to the Mirco TOTAN kit or what - I just know that they couldn't do TOTAN right now even if they wanted to.

Interesting.

#107 1 year ago

Agree. Very.

#108 1 year ago

I feel like I first heard this rumor a couple months ago and mostly dismissed it. I still mostly dismiss it.

I think they could sell them, but I think there are better games to do first. I also think Twilight Zone is one of the most overrated pins... Impressive for its time, but it's kinda shallow and boring to me? Granted, I'm a millennial with zero nostalgia for playing this game on location at the time. I've played it a lot in a modern setting, and I like the shots and some of the mechs are neat. But I'd only be interested if there was a full rules re-write and scoring rebalance. It needs a lot more to make me wanna buy one vs a typical modern game (or a used contemporary game)

#109 1 year ago
Quoted from JSC:

A lot of people are commenting a well maintained old machine will be as easy to maintain as a new one…makes sense, but the problem for someone like myself is I do not have the knowledge or expertise to look at a machine and know if that is the case. A NIB CGC just feels safer for me.

None of us were borne out of our mother's womb with A to Z knowledge of the older B/W games. The only way to learn is to get a solid working game, play it until something breaks, and then start learning with the help of others either in person or on here.

If you aren't willing to do that, a LOT of your wishlist games ain't ever coming home to your place.

#110 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I've played it a lot in a modern setting, and I like the shots and some of the mechs are neat. But I'd only be interested if there was a full rules re-write and scoring rebalance.

What's wrong with the scoring balance? Everything in TZ scores pretty flat, 5-15 million for most mode shots (greed targets, super slots, fast lock, spiral, etc) and ~50m for both types of multiball jackpots. The wizard mode is worth 300M, which matches a good run of the other multiball modes and isn't way out of line at all. The only lumpy scoring comes from the camera Collect Bonus when you already have a lot pending, and even that you get told is coming and can work towards it.

#111 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

What's wrong with the scoring balance? Everything in TZ scores pretty flat, 5-15 million for most mode shots (greed targets, super slots, fast lock, spiral, etc) and ~50m for both types of multiball jackpots. The wizard mode is worth 300M, which matches a good run of the other multiball modes and isn't way out of line at all. The only lumpy scoring comes from the camera Collect Bonus when you already have a lot pending, and even that you get told is coming and can work towards it.

Because the game is just grind out multiballs. Or to take a TAF like approach and just run through the modes without playing them to get to the wizard mode.

To me, there's not many interesting choices to make while you play the game or a lot of strategy. Is there some? Sure. But it pails in comparison to the sort of games I like to play when I play something "modern"

#112 1 year ago

One question I have is how popular is the theme to newer/younger players?

For most people these days their only experience with Twilight Zone is the Tower of Terror ride at Disney and even that may disappear in the next few years.

#113 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

For most people these days their only experience with Twilight Zone is the Tower of Terror ride at Disney and even that may disappear in the next few years.

We have had a TZ in our collection for the last few years. The younger generation (40 or less) do not go anywhere near it. It is no where near as popular as TAF. Since Wednesday has come out, the younger generation is asking to come over to play TAF.

#114 1 year ago
Quoted from Norcalpin:

How many of you current TZ owners would ditch your original machine for a remake?

I’d definitely be keeping mine

#115 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I wish they would do whitewater

#116 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

I’d definitely be keeping mine

Me too. As much as I love the remakes, it is not worth it to me to swap over.

#117 1 year ago

This is a proper TZ remake, featuring the man himself, Rod Sterling. Nothing beats Chris Granner's music so that remains, but in virtual pinball there are no limits, so we can switch to black and white textures in an instant. And turn back time....

#118 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

I think it’s gone already

#119 1 year ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

I think it’s gone already

Gone at Disneyland, still there at Disneyworld (Hollywood Studios).

#120 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Because the game is just grind out multiballs. Or to take a TAF like approach and just run through the modes without playing them to get to the wizard mode.

No offense, but don't most new Stern's have like 13 different multiball modes? I know GZ is way up there. Seems like every shot in modern Sterns has its own multiball mode. I think TZ has four total, different multiballs. And talk about grinding, some of the Stern games that are just simple fan layouts make you shoot the same five or six shots 40 or 50 times on your way to said multiballs. That's why I don't automatically love every new pin that comes out. The older B/W games are shallower rulesets, and are therefore shorter games, sure. But all the newer games do is layer modes under more shots and deeper rulesets. Same number and types of shots as the older games, you just have to rinse and repeat more. That's just not my cup of tea. Finishing a TAF is like a 30 minute process, finishing a GZ is like an hour and a half. Don't get me wrong, either, I love GZ, hope to own a premium someday.

There are lots of games, old and new, that most people love that I don't, and vice versa. I'm sure you can say the same, too.

#121 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

No offense, but don't most new Stern's have like 13 different multiball modes? I know GZ is way up there. Seems like every shot in modern Sterns has its own multiball mode. I think TZ has four total, different multiballs. And talk about grinding, some of the Stern games that are just simple fan layouts make you shoot the same five or six shots 40 or 50 times on your way to said multiballs. That's why I don't automatically love every new pin that comes out. The older B/W games are shallower rulesets, and are therefore shorter games, sure. But all the newer games do is layer modes under more shots and deeper rulesets. Same number and types of shots as the older games, you just have to rinse and repeat more. That's just not my cup of tea. Finishing a TAF is like a 30 minute process, finishing a GZ is like an hour and a half. Don't get me wrong, either, I love GZ, hope to own a premium someday.
There are lots of games, old and new, that most people love that I don't, and vice versa. I'm sure you can say the same, too.

Yeah, but I totally agree a lot of modern Sterns are grindfests. Not all but a lot. Like Stranger Things puts me to sleep playing it.

I think TZ, as is, is grindy. It’s cool if people like it (or wanna downvote me for saying I don’t like it?). I like the shots. It just needs a lot more risk reward elements to the rules for my tastes

#122 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I think TZ, as is, is grindy.

Maybe we have different definitions of grindy. What I like about TZ is the variety of shots and how, depending upon the mode, those shots are either very important or irrelevant.

For example, in most modes the clock target is irrelevant (and a drain threat), but in either of the clock modes it becomes important (and valuable). The Camera shot and the Dead End shots work similarly.

And as for deepness of rules, TZ is plenty deep for me. While I like GZ, the rules are so complex (and unintuitive) that I can't even understand it, much less complete it.

#123 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Impressive for its time, but it's kinda shallow and boring to me?

I guess it just depends on how you want to play the game. In almost every pinball machine I feel like most home players judge rules based on how they'd want to play them in a tournament, and immediately go for low hanging fruit to advance through rules. In doing so, players miss all the fun nuance and fun bits:

Like I absolutely love building up my town square bonus and nailing dead ends. Risky for sure with that left outlane, but a quality shot can be easily worth more than a jackpot, and it builds towards robot awards/extra balls. Plus, shooting through pops is bliss.

When the powerball appears, instead of immediately loading it back into the gum ball machine, I like to lock that sucker and use it in multiball. Nailing an unassisted piano jackpot with the powerball doubles the jackpot. Crazy satisfying. It's also fun to stack the powerball with the spiral mode, and rip through all 3 for an immediate breakthrough.

#124 1 year ago
Quoted from Norcalpin:

How many of you current TZ owners would ditch your original machine for a remake?

No, got mine in 2003 (20 years ago!), I know everything that makes different. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Green lock, white clock and all.

#125 1 year ago

I feel like any true pinball fan has to own a Twilight Zone at least once. I've always wanted one, even when I was a kid and I still haven't been able to cross that game off my list. Probably my most wanted B/W game. I know this is silly but I'm actually kind of ashamed I don't have/never have a twilight zone in my collection. A remake would definitely make it very high on my want list...

#126 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I guess it just depends on how you want to play the game. In almost every pinball machine I feel like most home players judge rules based on how they'd want to play them in a tournament, and immediately go for low hanging fruit to advance through rules. In doing so, players miss all the fun nuance and fun bits:
Like I absolutely love building up my town square bonus and nailing dead ends. Risky for sure with that left outlane, but a quality shot can be easily worth more than a jackpot, and it builds towards robot awards/extra balls. Plus, shooting through pops is bliss.
When the powerball appears, instead of immediately loading it back into the gum ball machine, I like to lock that sucker and use it in multiball. Nailing an unassisted piano jackpot with the powerball doubles the jackpot. Crazy satisfying. It's also fun to stack the powerball with the spiral mode, and rip through all 3 for an immediate breakthrough.

TZ is so incredible when it comes to those little details. I've owned mine for years now and still constantly learning new things. It's amazing how much this game is packed with features and code. This was done in the early 90's when most other games were pretty basic. I really like how all the modes are simple and quick. You can stack as many as you want, finish them or not. Modes get so complicated in modern games and can easily become a long grind.

#127 1 year ago

This is 100% happening. I posted something back on the forum 2-3 months ago when I got confirmation that this would be their next remake. I can't wait to see what they do with it (topper) etc. Should be a GREAT seller.

#128 1 year ago

Is it my imagination or is the pitch of a TZ less than most games. I love TZ it’s one of my forever in collection game but I find it plays slower than most games. For full disclosure my TZ is in the pipeline to be restored also wondering if a clear coat will speed that up too

#130 1 year ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

This is 100% happening. I posted something back on the forum 2-3 months ago when I got confirmation that this would be their next remake. I can't wait to see what they do with it (topper) etc. Should be a GREAT seller.

Nice! Still hard to believe!

#131 1 year ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Just curious so no way trying to be an ass, but how do you have this insider knowledge on next game. In the end I am excited to see it come out if they do create it I am just surprised it will sell that well and will also be cost effective to make.

#132 1 year ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Just curious so no way trying to be an ass, but how do you have this insider knowledge on next game. In the end I am excited to see it come out if they do create it I am just surprised it will sell that well and will also be cost effective to make.

I would guess if he answers how or who he got the information from it will be the last time he gets any information, lol.

#133 1 year ago

If so, a remake of TZ, what are the chances then of an IJ TPA remake?

#134 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

I would guess if he answers how or who he got the information from it will be the last time he gets any information, lol.

Ha I Wasn’t asking exact source but get it if he can’t say anything that will get him in trouble

#135 1 year ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

If so, a remake of TZ, what are the chances then of an IJ TPA remake?

IJ is a licensing nightmare. Pinball Arcade tried forever for a virtual remake but never got close. CBS/Paramount were the opposite, very easy to deal with for TZ and STTNG.

#136 1 year ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Is it my imagination or is the pitch of a TZ less than most games. I love TZ it’s one of my forever in collection game but I find it plays slower than most games. For full disclosure my TZ is in the pipeline to be restored also wondering if a clear coat will speed that up too

Kind of strange. There are three holes for the back leg brackets. Even in the lower holes and the legs cranked all the way up, it's only stock pitch on my game.

#137 1 year ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Ha I Wasn’t asking exact source but get it if he can’t say anything that will get him in trouble

Theres a lot of people who know things that aren't exactly posted publicly. Its pretty common for people to know a lot of the upcoming games

#138 1 year ago

I still find TZr an odd choice. I like the game (I have one) but it doesn’t have broad appeal. Not in the same way as the other CGC remakes. The prior ones are games that all do well with a more general audience, and on location. TZ is popular with the die hard pin heads (for good reason). If I were a company trying to sell games, I’d be concerned about the relatively small market and especially that operators will pass. Anyway, if it happens it will be fun to watch and I’d be happy for the pin heads that get to have a shiny new TZ.

#139 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

IJ is a licensing nightmare. Pinball Arcade tried forever for a virtual remake but never got close. CBS/Paramount were the opposite, very easy to deal with for TZ and STTNG.

IJ TPA is based on the first 3 Indy movies only, 3rd movie was done in 1989 I think. I know nothing of the licensing process, but I would think extracting revenue from old movies would be a bonus for any movie producer.

#140 1 year ago

IJ TPA is based on the first 3 Indy movies only, 3rd movie was done in 1989 I think. I know nothing of the licensing process, but I would think extracting revenue from old movies would be a bonus for any movie producer.

Except that Indiana Jones is a very "active" license, with a new movie on the way. Even if you could get the re-approvals of all the actors and such, Disney will be wanting to promote the new movie, not the old ones. And you can be sure that the "Indiana Jones" license will be a lot more expensive than the "Twilight Zone" license (which is certainly not "active").

#141 1 year ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:IJ TPA is based on the first 3 Indy movies only, 3rd movie was done in 1989 I think. I know nothing of the licensing process, but I would think extracting revenue from old movies would be a bonus for any movie producer.

The bond movies are 60 years old and by all accounts the licensing process is a total ongoing nightmare, so that’s not really how it works.

#142 1 year ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Except that Indiana Jones is a very "active" license, with a new movie on the way. Even if you could get the re-approvals of all the actors and such, Disney will be wanting to promote the new movie, not the old ones. And you can be sure that the "Indiana Jones" license will be a lot more expensive than the "Twilight Zone" license (which is certainly not "active").

I'll be waiting on reports of a 1500 IJ TPA ramp order.

#143 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The bond movies are 60 years old and by all accounts the licensing process is a total ongoing nightmare, so that’s not really how it works.

A lot of times it comes down to who owns the rights to stuff.

For example, if you get the Mission:Impossible rights from Paramount, that doesn't come with the rights to Tom Cruise's likeness. That would have to be negotiated separately with Tom Cruise.

Sometimes though, the rights to stuff like that comes with the property. In the case of Bond, did they have to negotiate with each actor (or their estate) separately for each of the Bond Villains, Women, and Henchmen? I don't know, but I sort of doubt it - since that would have taken forever and would have probably been excessively costly.

#144 1 year ago

I'll be waiting on reports of a 1500 IJ TPA ramp order.

Did we ever figure out WHO that order was (supposedly) placed with?
Who made the ramps for MMr?

#145 1 year ago

I know nothing of the licensing process, but I would think extracting revenue from old movies would be a bonus for any movie producer.

It's not really a bonus, it's a business. All these companies have licensing departments who handle squeezing the juice.

Films are complicated to license though, because they have so many parts. You might have the rights to use X movies, but not Y and Z actors from it, because the Y actors are British and were covered under a different contract, and the Z actor is a big star and gets special treatment.

For example.

Every situation has it's own moving parts.

#146 1 year ago

If the rumors are true, this would be the first remake that has me truly baffled. The most complex/expensive build, a multi-tiered license to wrangle, high original production numbers, and it's already owned by the most pinsiders of any game out there. There are always people who just want a new build, but NIB sales would also be competing with the hundreds of discounted original TZs from people who want to upgrade.

#147 1 year ago

Is it just me, or am I right in thinking this will, by far, be the remake with the largest current working & good condition ownership?

I would've figured that anyone that had enough cash to buy a NIB remake and had enough interest to own a TZ could pretty easily have a nice or restored original. I don't believe that was the case for the prior four.

Maybe with everything new and a great big color display there will be enough increased demand to warrant the remake.

For the record: I bought a decent one recently at NIB remake prices...maybe feeling a bit like J Geils

#148 1 year ago

Years ago, when MMr production was starting, I asked Rick about TZ and he said, too complicated, too many, not on the list. He has mentioned other games in the past, such as TOM, ToTAN, etc. which would be much easier to build. I ended up buying a Bryan Kelly restored TZ that is excellent, and am happy with it. Not sure why I'd get a remake. Colordmd lcd is fantastic on this game, mods are great such as the tv showing clips, 86pixels lcd backboard, pyramid topper, and so forth. The level of complexity is so huge on this game: 5 magnets, ceramic ball sensors, optos all over, complex subway system, raised playfield, gumball mech, widebody extra real estate. If a single part on the CCr topper can shut down the production, imagine what could happen here.

#149 1 year ago

It’s the opposite- with a 5th movie coming out they will want all of the attention on the newer releases.

It is very likely the reason why we got a Toy Story 4 pin

#150 1 year ago
Quoted from curban:

I would've figured that anyone that had enough cash to buy a NIB remake and had enough interest to own a TZ could pretty easily have a nice or restored original. I don't believe that was the case for the prior four.

There's a new breed of collector that only buys NIB games.

Given that TZ is the most wishlisted game on Pinside (last I saw at least) there's clearly some level of demand. For all we know they look at that wishlist stuff when deciding what to do next.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 79.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

There are 852 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-twilight-zone-remake-/page/3?hl=curban and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.