(Topic ID: 329610)

Twilight Zone remake? CGC or other company…

By Richard-NBA-SF2

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 821 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 69 days ago by SimplePin
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4564 (resized).png
IMG_20231130_132631.gif
Pinside_forum_7482342_0.gif
giphy.gif
IMG_5945 (resized).jpeg
7_0918_1200x (resized).jpg
1_0920_1200x (resized).jpg
IMG_5932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5915 (resized).jpeg
8cd40893eeeb9561ce8fe6414cb9f6cc (resized).jpg
158A3C79-913A-482B-8AB3-C804FA1CCF5F.gif
neil-hamburger-3 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
AVvXsEhyBYr2WQF1SRq_2cEZL_eXNUwTaJHge1L19HaOUnPDLHlzC9n6c7KujdzQX1lgeOjHzdFY5Bk0t6dQL6s1ITM4PVwfwo_wLvprcsKLnj4BuzMY7FHKYb1VA7I2
IMG_0933 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3679 (resized).jpeg

There are 821 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 17.
#51 1 year ago

The person was being intentionally vague, or at least acted as though that was the case. My interpretation is that they were implying with Planetary Pinball perhaps?

I always tell the truth, but that doesn't mean that people are always truthful with me. Something about this particular rumor struck me as possibly being true, so I passed it along. At the very least, it served as fodder for conversation about the recent rumblings that Twilight Zone is being remade. I've never thought that redoing TZ before TOTAN or TOM made sense, but there is a lot of smoke here, so maybe there's some fire?

#52 1 year ago

A freind of mine who told me about CCr and the interactive topper months before announcement advised of the same, TZr is the next remake. Kind of wish it was Adams.

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from jkashani:

A freind of mine who told me about CCr and the interactive topper months before announcement advised of the same, TZr is the next remake. Kind of wish it was Adams.

I could see TZ being remade sooner just because the number of licenses to deal with is fewer in number.

#54 1 year ago

Are people really going to shell out £12K for a TZ? and an LE at 13-14k?

I find it hard to believe given there are still other games that could be done much cheaper that would sell way more like any of the clown pins TOM, TOTAN and CV...

Cheers,
Neil.

#55 1 year ago

With the other unsubstantiated BBB rumor, it seems Knapp could be pulling a Kaneda style PR technique to drive traffic to his site. He seems like a good dude, but why would anyone send legit info to him as a first choice? It is probably a troll playing around or someone trying to drive down value on games he wants. It just seems like a little too much rumor stuff in a couple days.

#56 1 year ago

Part of me wants it to happen. Another part doesn't.

If they're redoing, or adding/removing featured, I seriously hope they get Ted involved. I likely won't get one, since .. well, I have mine. But would love to play it.

For the record, no, the 3rd magnet wasn't removed because "it wasn't needed", but because the bean-counters needed to cut costs on the game.

#57 1 year ago
Quoted from Knapp_Arcade:

The person was being intentionally vague, or at least acted as though that was the case. My interpretation is that they were implying with Planetary Pinball perhaps?
I always tell the truth, but that doesn't mean that people are always truthful with me. Something about this particular rumor struck me as possibly being true, so I passed it along. At the very least, it served as fodder for conversation about the recent rumblings that Twilight Zone is being remade. I've never thought that redoing TZ before TOTAN or TOM made sense, but there is a lot of smoke here, so maybe there's some fire?

It's all good. I wasn't calling you out with the question or even expressing doubt. I just didn't / don't know who makes these ramps.

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

With the other unsubstantiated BBB rumor, it seems Knapp could be pulling a Kaneda style PR technique to drive traffic to his site.

As I said, these are people who reached out to me. I passed the information along but did not make it up. I write about things that I find interesting and I enjoy it. I do not enjoy being called a liar and I REALLY don't enjoy being compared to that individual. Why would I compromise my values and lie to generate traffic for a website that actually costs me money to run rather than generating income? I do this because I love the hobby and accusations like this suck the joy out of it.

Someone sent over the first rumor about BBB. I mentioned that people can send in information if they want to, hence the second one so closely behind.

I don't care if you believe the rumors. I described exactly how they came in and they're supposed to be fun to talk about, but do not imply that I am a liar.

#59 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Are people really going to shell out £12K for a TZ? and an LE at 13-14k?
I find it hard to believe given there are still other games that could be done much cheaper that would sell way more like any of the clown pins TOM, TOTAN and CV...
Cheers,
Neil.

It seems like an odd rumor. TZ is an expensive game to make, a wide body, difficult license, and not incredibly expensive on the aftermarket.

That and CGC isn’t even close to finishing the CCr remakes.

#60 1 year ago

As I said, these are people who reached out to me. I passed the information along but did not make it up. I write about things that I find interesting and I enjoy it. I do not enjoy being called a liar and I REALLY don't enjoy being compared to that individual. Why would I compromise my values and lie to generate traffic for a website that actually costs me money to run rather than generating income? I do this because I love the hobby and accusations like this suck the joy out of it.
Someone sent over the first rumor about BBB. I mentioned that people can send in information if they want to, hence the second one so closely behind.
I don't care if you believe the rumors. I described exactly how they came in and they're supposed to be fun to talk about, but do not imply that I am a liar.

Yo, I never said you flat made it up, I probably could have rephrased it a little better. No offense meant, I wasn't calling you a liar or Kaneda either. Honestly, if I was in your shoes I would have done the same thing. I've just seen so many rumors and promises over the years it's hard so believe or hope much anymore. Can you blame me for saying it looks funny that 2 big rumors came in like that?

#61 1 year ago

with 20,000 twilight zones produced, this is head scratcher. If you want a TZ you could for surely find one today.

#62 1 year ago
Quoted from Knapp_Arcade:As I said, these are people who reached out to me. I passed the information along but did not make it up. I write about things that I find interesting and I enjoy it. I do not enjoy being called a liar and I REALLY don't enjoy being compared to that individual. Why would I compromise my values and lie to generate traffic for a website that actually costs me money to run rather than generating income? I do this because I love the hobby and accusations like this suck the joy out of it.

Ate passing around unverifiable rumors and lying really two different things?

#63 1 year ago

We're good. I just hold myself to a higher moral standard than the person who you were comparing me to so it rubbed me the wrong way. He harassed me literally for months on his page and on his podcast (regardless of the deletions and revisionist history) getting people all fired up and saying yeah F that guy and sent me threatening messages while I was spending time with my family all because I jokingly said that a podcast I was on was "FREE." Then he preaches how we all should learn to lighten up and take a joke. Being compared to that really rubbed me the wrong way.

Anyhow, back to TZ. Yeah I don't know if it's going to get remade. I just found the details of the tip (that was not anonymous) to be somewhat believable and there's been a lot of chatter about it lately so I decided to write about it. I've consistently said that It makes absolutely zero sense to me that TZ would get remade before a lot of other low-hanging fruit. At least it's fun to talk about .

#64 1 year ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

It would be after I assume. Pulp is next.

Unless Pulp is being made by Raw Thrills

I hate to tell you guys who reported this CGC TZ rumor months ago....

Jason, your page and the info you put out is great. Don't take any negative comments seriously. I appreciate what you do and I know the overwhelming majority of others do as well!

#65 1 year ago

Licensing most likely isn't a problem for this at all. Pinball Arcade did its virtual remake of TZ with no trouble. Reports are that the CBS/Paramount corporate entity is pretty easy to deal with in general. Pinball Arcade also did STTNG which is the same corporate parent. And CGC did do a license already, with the Universal monsters on Monster Bash.

Pinball Arcade was also able to do Addams Family, minus only Christopher Lloyd who wanted more money than they would pay, so they just redid Fester's artwork instead.

#66 1 year ago

Put me on the list for TOTAN, TOM, MMr, and Scared Stiff before a TZ is made.

#67 1 year ago

Really hope this is true, been holding off on buying a used one hoping they’de remake it. I don’t think twilight zone is that crazy of a license to pay for and prices have risen a lot since Cactus canyon so they have some room to go up to cover any additional cost.

#68 1 year ago

Hard to believe. TZ comes with added licensing and a lot of new dev being widebody and loaded pf. CGC seems to struggle getting normal games out the door. Be cool if true, though. TZ would look amazing with updated features. Still, rather see TAF be remade. Bet you could sell more of those than all other remakes combined.

#69 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

with 20,000 twilight zones produced, this is head scratcher. If you want a TZ you could for surely find one today.

We’re in the era of the NIBNEWB. Haven’t you seen gameroom pics over the past few years? Zero classics. 100% Stern lineups, sometimes sprinkled with a CGC Remake or JJP. There are lots of pin buyers who won’t even entertain the idea of a used pin.

#70 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

We’re in the era of the NIBNEWB. Haven’t you seen gameroom pics over the past few years? Zero classics. 100% Stern lineups, sometimes sprinkled with a CGC Remake or JJP. There are lots of pin buyers who won’t even entertain the idea of a used pin.

So true. So sad.

#71 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

As someone somewhat newer to hobby, I honestly just don’t think I have the technical skill to maintain the older ones.

#72 1 year ago
Quoted from JSC:

As someone somewhat newer to hobby, I honestly just don’t think I have the technical skill to maintain the older ones.

The skills needed are the same. Except repairing surface mount electronics on recent games takes skills (and equipment) most hobbyists don’t have.

#73 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

The skills needed are the same. Except repairing surface mount electronics on recent games takes skills (and equipment) most hobbyists don’t have.

Maybe I’m making an incorrect assumption, but part of my historic reasoning is a newer game made by CGC won’t need as much maintenance as a 30 year old one (at least in the short term).

#74 1 year ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

I called this some time ago when I had a buddy that got a CGC tour and opened the wrong door. The door lead to a room full of TZs.

Did the door look like this...

E19A3C50-259C-4F3A-A77E-52FBE77179D2 (resized).pngE19A3C50-259C-4F3A-A77E-52FBE77179D2 (resized).png
#75 1 year ago
Quoted from JSC:

Maybe I’m making an incorrect assumption, but part of my historic reasoning is a newer game made by CGC won’t need as much maintenance as a 30 year old one (at least in the short term).

Generally speaking, yes. Certainly in the short term. But older games in good shape to start with don’t need much to be fine in a home environment.

#76 1 year ago
Quoted from JSC:

As someone who’s been in the hobby forever, I’ve had to fix/tweak things on NIB games more often than a shopped out 90s B/W pin.

New games will still get dirty & break. They need the same amount of maintenance.

#77 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Not at all- How much is one in nice condition selling for? What they are selling for, not how many were made is the question.

And nice ones are selling for good coin.

#78 1 year ago
Quoted from JSC:

This is definitely a major plus for CGC remakes, but depends a lot on the condition and history of the original. If it is a well maintained HUO or well done restore then there is probably little or no difference in the risk of maintenance headaches. If anything, the remake could be harder to diagnose and cost more to repair if something goes wrong electronically. New plug & play boards for the original are readily available at a relatively low cost. And who knows what the spare parts supply chain will look like for remakes down the road. Even Stern supply could be problematic if they get bought by an investment firm or go public.

#79 1 year ago
Quoted from JSC:

An old machine that has been maintained properly is no more or less ongoing maintenance than a brand new machine. If you buy an old machine that needs a lot of work, well, it needs a lot of work, but after that it should be just as solid.

Also, a new machine needs a lot of tweaking and dialing in and repairs, too. On my new in box Godzilla lights were wired wrong and I had to do soldering. I had to add playfield alignment brackets. Align the flippers properly. Align the shooter rod. I had to add a mod just to make it shoot straight. The people at the factory roughly put it together but they will never dial it the way that is optimal and what it really should be.

#80 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Are people really going to shell out £12K for a TZ?

Why not? You're eager to shell out considerably more than that for the Bond 60th, is it really that hard to imagine someone would spend less than that for a brand new version of a beloved title that's packed with a lot more than what the Bond 60th offers?

#81 1 year ago
Quoted from jackd104:

An old machine that has been maintained properly is no more or less ongoing maintenance than a brand new machine. If you buy an old machine that needs a lot of work, well, it needs a lot of work, but after that it should be just as solid.
Also, a new machine needs a lot of tweaking and dialing in and repairs, too. On my new in box Godzilla lights were wired wrong and I had to do soldering. I had to add playfield alignment brackets. Align the flippers properly. Align the shooter rod. I had to add a mod just to make it shoot straight. The people at the factory roughly put it together but they will never dial it the way that is optimal and what it really should be.

I guess I’ve been lucky, but I’ve never had to do that much tweaking on a NIB…especially CGCs.

#82 1 year ago

Hoping its a new manufacturer and not CGC .

#83 1 year ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Not to mention Stern flipper stops beating themselves to dust in a few hundred plays. A new pin is no guarantee of a maintenance free life. I have had bad sockets, broken wiring harness, a broken drop target bracket, node board issues, etc. It just goes with the territory and some are better than others in certain areas.

#84 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There are lots of pin buyers who won’t even entertain the idea of a used pin.

Ha! True and good. I’ll take all the old games, please. I genuinely have no interest in the remakes from a buyers perspective. Give me an original any day. Remakes feel like a fake watch to me. Close enough, but never the same.

However! Remakes have made the originals actually attainable. I’d never own my AFM had it not been remade and brought the prices of the originals down.

Quoted from JSC:

but part of my historic reasoning is a newer game made by CGC won’t need as much maintenance as a 30 year old one (at least in the short term).

True, but everything breaks eventually. What’s nice about older games is that they come with decades of repair knowledge. Literally every problem has been documented. I can confidently say that there’s next to nothing that can’t be repaired on any B/W game from the 90s. I’m sure we’ll get to that point with the remake stuff, but I personally don’t want to be part of the testbed.

#85 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Licensing most likely isn't a problem for this at all. Pinball Arcade did its virtual remake of TZ with no trouble. Reports are that the CBS/Paramount corporate entity is pretty easy to deal with in general. Pinball Arcade also did STTNG which is the same corporate parent. And CGC did do a license already, with the Universal monsters on Monster Bash.
Pinball Arcade was also able to do Addams Family, minus only Christopher Lloyd who wanted more money than they would pay, so they just redid Fester's artwork instead.

The belief was that it was the licensing with Rod Serling estate which made it tricky

#86 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

As someone who’s been in the hobby forever, I’ve had to fix/tweak things on NIB games more often than a shopped out 90s B/W pin.
New games will still get dirty & break. They need the same amount of maintenance.

Every B/W game I have bought needed work. Some games need more work than others but every game needed something. I see nothing wrong with guys only buying newer games. You can just play them for hundreds of plays without any issues. They have more things to do and easier to buy. Finding a great classic for a decent price in good shape is not exactly easy.

#87 1 year ago
Quoted from Knapp_Arcade:As I said, these are people who reached out to me. I passed the information along but did not make it up. I write about things that I find interesting and I enjoy it. I do not enjoy being called a liar and I REALLY don't enjoy being compared to that individual. Why would I compromise my values and lie to generate traffic for a website that actually costs me money to run rather than generating income? I do this because I love the hobby and accusations like this suck the joy out of it.

That’s why I posted this thread, I trust your information. It is also very interesting. Thanks for all that you do for the hobby!

Richard

#88 1 year ago

As a relative newb to this hobby, TZ is one of my grail games that I’ve always wanted, but just couldn’t fathom getting myself to drop the $6-7k in 2019-2020, let alone the $8-11k nowadays. Granted, I absolutely love tinkering, shopping, rebuilding, soldering, and working on the 90’s B/W games. CGC seems to build absolutely beautiful games, combined with the newer displays and tech. I’ve never bought a NIB, but if this rumor comes to fruition, I’m 100% in.

#89 1 year ago

A lot of people are commenting a well maintained old machine will be as easy to maintain as a new one…makes sense, but the problem for someone like myself is I do not have the knowledge or expertise to look at a machine and know if that is the case. A NIB CGC just feels safer for me.

#90 1 year ago
Quoted from JSC:

A lot of people are commenting a well maintained old machine will be as easy to maintain as a new one…makes sense, but the problem for someone like myself is I do not have the knowledge or expertise to look at a machine and know if that is the case. A NIB CGC just feels safer for me.

Nothing wrong with that! You can find opportunities to learn when your pins need repairs and you will get there. You don’t HAVE to do that, but it is part of the hobby and enjoyment for many and also you won’t have to depend on others for most repairs.

#91 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Ha! True and good. I’ll take all the old games, please. I genuinely have no interest in the remakes from a buyers perspective. Give me an original any day. Remakes feel like a fake watch to me. Close enough, but never the same.
However! Remakes have made the originals actually attainable. I’d never own my AFM had it not been remade and brought the prices of the originals down.

True, but everything breaks eventually. What’s nice about older games is that they come with decades of repair knowledge. Literally every problem has been documented. I can confidently say that there’s next to nothing that can’t be repaired on any B/W game from the 90s. I’m sure we’ll get to that point with the remake stuff, but I personally don’t want to be part of the testbed.

100%

#92 1 year ago
Quoted from Knapp_Arcade:We're good. I just hold myself to a higher moral standard than the person who you were comparing me to so it rubbed me the wrong way. He harassed me literally for months on his page and on his podcast (regardless of the deletions and revisionist history) getting people all fired up and saying yeah F that guy and sent me threatening messages while I was spending time with my family all because I jokingly said that a podcast I was on was "FREE." Then he preaches how we all should learn to lighten up and take a joke. Being compared to that really rubbed me the wrong way.

Oof, sweet Jesus, sorry you had to deal with that, you don't deserve it. I had no idea and I don't blame you one bit. You're an asset to the community. Sorry for shooting my mouth off a bit

#93 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Remakes have made the originals actually attainable. I’d never own my AFM had it not been remade and brought the prices of the originals down.

The prices on the originals came down? When?

I sold mine for $7200 just before the remakes were announced and havent seen one for less than 6 grand since?

EDit: Quick look at the Pinside market shows some cheaper, but i still cant justify it in my brain when i paid $2600 for mine -

#94 1 year ago

Just so everyone is aware this Rumor about twilight zone has been mentioned elsewhere and prior. If you watch this video it is discussed in here as well:

#95 1 year ago

How many of you current TZ owners would ditch your original machine for a remake?

#96 1 year ago
Quoted from Norcalpin:

How many of you current TZ owners would ditch your original machine for a remake?

No, I can’t think of a reason to do so. Maybe if I had a poor example and loved the game but even then I would probably rather just fix/restore.

#97 1 year ago
Quoted from Norcalpin:

Eff no. Mine has a history, and it's with me through thick and thin.

#98 1 year ago

If this rumor turns out to be true, I really hope they improve the sound.

#99 1 year ago
Quoted from Norcalpin:

Heck no. Ive had mine since the mid 90's

#100 1 year ago
Quoted from Skatewake:

Heck no. Ive had mine since the mid 90's

Same here, had mine since 1999.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod
Decorations
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
There are 821 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-twilight-zone-remake-/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.