(Topic ID: 329610)

Twilight Zone remake? CGC or other company…

By Richard-NBA-SF2

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 852 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by dtmail209
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4564 (resized).png
IMG_20231130_132631.gif
Pinside_forum_7482342_0.gif
giphy.gif
IMG_5945 (resized).jpeg
7_0918_1200x (resized).jpg
1_0920_1200x (resized).jpg
IMG_5932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5915 (resized).jpeg
8cd40893eeeb9561ce8fe6414cb9f6cc (resized).jpg
158A3C79-913A-482B-8AB3-C804FA1CCF5F.gif
neil-hamburger-3 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
AVvXsEhyBYr2WQF1SRq_2cEZL_eXNUwTaJHge1L19HaOUnPDLHlzC9n6c7KujdzQX1lgeOjHzdFY5Bk0t6dQL6s1ITM4PVwfwo_wLvprcsKLnj4BuzMY7FHKYb1VA7I2
IMG_0933 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3679 (resized).jpeg
There are 852 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 18.
#451 1 year ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Remember when TZ remake was a done deal [quoted image]

No I don't remember that, but it probably still is a done deal. Everyone knew pulp fiction was coming first and that if it was indeed getting remade it would be further down the line. Or maybe its just a rumor that never comes true

#452 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohm:

Somewhat related, Centaur would be an awesome remake, it might be the best looking pin of all time (imo), anyone looking to do it eventually?

I believe that Centaur is on Haggis Pinball's list for a possible remake (though who knows when that will be).

As to how it looks...I hate the look of Centaur, though I love the layout and gameplay. If I ever had the time and money (and talent), I'd buy a Centaur and do a complete re-theme. It doesn't even matter what the new theme would be - anything else would be a vast improvement.

And yes, I realize that I have the minority opinion on this...

#453 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohm:

Somewhat related, Centaur would be an awesome remake, it might be the best looking pin of all time (imo), anyone looking to do it eventually?

Pretty sure it was on the list for Haggis to remake.

#454 1 year ago

Thanks guys

*searches Haggis thread*

#455 1 year ago

I would say TOTAN Would sell the best. No license and always in demand.

#456 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I would say TOTAN Would sell the best. No license and always in demand.

It or CV in my opinion. Beautiful, fun games... TOTAN is a little more unique so it has the upper hand but I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Also, no 3rd party license.

#457 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

I know it didn't come with a topper. But if they remake, I will bet the LE has a topper.

Oh, that's a guarantee. Toppers are basically free money for manufacturers.

#458 1 year ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I believe that Centaur is on Haggis Pinball's list for a possible remake (though who knows when that will be).

replace that mislabeled tilt warning setting (for now days) with real tilt warnings in an update

#459 1 year ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

replace that mislabeled tilt warning setting (for now days) with real tilt warnings in an update

I have no idea what this means...

#460 1 year ago

So for a classic BW that is loaded with toys/mechs and a widebody, any guess as to asking price from CGC if this remake will happen?

#461 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

So for a classic BW that is loaded with toys/mechs and a widebody, any guess as to asking price from CGC if this remake will happen?

Why would it not be $8k for an SE like CCSE?

Scooby Doo SE is a widebody LCD and sells for $7769.

#462 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Well, it's safe to say that the cost to produce a TZr would be higher than that of CCr, so it would be likely that a price increase would be needed.

I would think an extra $500 to $1000 would be reasonable...but that's just a guess.

#463 1 year ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Well, it's safe to say that the cost to produce a TZr would be higher than that of CCr, so it would be likely that a price increase would be needed.
I would think an extra $500 to $1000 would be reasonable...but that's just a guess.

I forgot to mention Alien SE which is a widebody lcd and costs $8595 (but has to be shipped from Italy).

It's just an extra 3" of playfield, but ok - let's go with $8500 SE/$9750 CE. Make it so.

#464 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

MMr SE was 9k and I doubt they will lower it for the next run.

#465 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

$13 k

And would sell like crazy...

#466 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Scooby is not a widebody. Just a standard playfield size in a wider cabinet.

Also your prices for MM AFM and MB are waaaay too low.

#467 1 year ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

You are incorrect - Scooby is a widebody playfield. At least the one sitting 5 feet away from me is.

70A99576-E45A-47F9-8B62-618D0161D139 (resized).jpeg70A99576-E45A-47F9-8B62-618D0161D139 (resized).jpeg

2 months later
#468 10 months ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

TZ - if it is indeed remade - will not be a penny less than $10,000…my guess is $12,500 for the LE with the topper…and it will sell.

#469 10 months ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

TZ - if it is indeed remade - will not be a penny less than $10,000…my guess is $12,500 for the LE with the topper…and it will sell.

Sign me up!

#470 10 months ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

Wrong. It’s a wide body

1 week later
#471 10 months ago

Not in my opinion.

2-3in of unused space to the Right. No? Making the usable playfield same as a standard game.

pasted_i (resized).pngpasted_i (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#472 10 months ago

This is what other widebody playfields look like.

Notice the shooter lane all the way over to the Right?

pasted_imag (resized).pngpasted_imag (resized).png
#473 10 months ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

Not in my opinion.
2-3in of unused space to the Right. No? Making the usable playfield same as a standard game.

[quoted image][quoted image]

Its literally a widebody and the playfield size (as you stated) is not standard size, its widebody size, regardless of if they left 2-3 inches unused (for ramp habitrail space) or not.

#474 10 months ago

As a lover of the widebody I am surprised so many struggle with the above facts. Yes you can call it that but the game certainly ain’t…

#475 10 months ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

As a lover of the widebody I am surprised so many struggle with the above facts. Yes you can call it that but the game certainly ain’t…

Do you condsider demo man to be a wide body or superpin?

#476 10 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Its literally a widebody and the playfield size (as you stated) is not standard size, its widebody size, regardless of if they left 2-3 inches unused (for ramp habitrail space) or not.

It's kinda like McDonalds. If you empty a large fries into a medium size container, they all fit. So, not really a large fry. They just charge you more for the illusion.

#477 10 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Do you condsider demo man to be a wide body or superpin?

I consider it a widebody. The accepted term for a wider than standard pinball machine. This is what SD is. But… For some bizarre reason they chose to design a standard sized playfield and put it into a wider cabinet. That’s what we should really be talking about.

You are factually correct that it is dimensionally a widebody. Turbo and I are both correct in that the game ain’t no widebody. I hope that helps…

#478 10 months ago

Is this still a Twilight Zone thread? Asking for a friend.

#479 10 months ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Is this still a Twilight Zone thread? Asking for a friend.

Funny, I was going to ask the same thing.

#480 10 months ago

Scooby is a widebody, only in the Twilight Zone.

#481 10 months ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

I consider it a widebody. The accepted term for a wider than standard pinball machine. But… For some bizarre reason they chose to design a standard sized playfield and put it into a wider cabinet.

They wanted it to play fast like a standard body game but they needed room for their habitrails, according to them themselves in their first few streams.

#482 10 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

They wanted it to play fast like a standard body game but they needed room for their habitrails, according to them themselves in their first few streams.

A very unique real estate solution for parts that already reside in their own plane. Thanks for the info.

#483 10 months ago

I really hope they remake Twilight Zone. I'd be down to rotate a second original Twilight Zone through my basement. Great game.

#484 10 months ago

If they can remake the castle for MM, that can definitely do all the toys for tz. To me, it is has the deepest and most interesting code of all the 90s machines.

- Door modes with 3 clever ways to start them
- Door mb with magnet help and powerball bonus
- The power battles
- powerball mania mb (coolest jackpot in all of pinball)
- Gumball (great for competition suspense)
- Camera with magnet help (genius)
- Spirals with powerball bonus
- Dead ends/town square
- Hitchhikers
- shot combo awards
- shot combo geometry, especially big upper flipper to little upper flipper to piano scoop combo.
- referencing to other 90s games (fast lock, clock chaos)

The powerball cycling just puts it over the top. Best game ever made.

If they remake it, it will sell like crazy. I find routed ones always play like shit, so a remake will allow everyone to play a fast, well-tuned copy.

#485 10 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Spirals with powerball bonus

Don’t forget about the ability to double the main multball jackpot with the powerball! I always thought that was a neat bonus, since there’s no magnet assist with it to nail the piano scoop.

#486 10 months ago

Scooby is clearly a widebody, and it's better off for not sticking a bunch of gimmicks in the bottom for the sake of having them like WOZ. A lot of widebodies feel floaty because designers open up the bottom area, but you can't really shoot for much on the lower 1/3 of the playfield. Scooby is better off for keeping a mostly standard layout, but then opening things up a bit towards the top. And then the upper PF is clearly widebody

Anyhow...TZ did some interesting stuff with its extra space. It has an extra shooter-lane/MB-lock-lane and an extra inlane, common on other Lawlor games and combined onto this one bottom. Then a pop bumper cluster to take up space on the lower side, which maybe wasn't the best idea since Williams included extra rubbers and posts to help make that area less drainy. Then it's got the powerfield and gumbball machine taking up space, but without spreading the shots out too much. It works to make Twilight Zone not feel super floaty like some other widebodies.

#487 10 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Scooby is clearly a widebody, and it's better off for not sticking a bunch of gimmicks in the bottom for the sake of having them like WOZ. A lot of widebodies feel floaty because designers open up the bottom area, but you can't really shoot for much on the lower 1/3 of the playfield. Scooby is better off for keeping a mostly standard layout, but then opening things up a bit towards the top. And then the upper PF is clearly widebody
Anyhow...TZ did some interesting stuff with its extra space. It has an extra shooter-lane/MB-lock-lane and an extra inlane, common on other Lawlor games and combined onto this one bottom. Then a pop bumper cluster to take up space on the lower side, which maybe wasn't the best idea since Williams included extra rubbers and posts to help make that area less drainy. Then it's got the powerfield and gumbball machine taking up space, but without spreading the shots out too much. It works to make Twilight Zone not feel super floaty like some other widebodies.

Widebody games can easily be fast players with the right setup. I Jack my games up steep and make the slings super sensitive. My sttng is crazy fast. Demo man is insanely fast, almost too fast. TZ is decently fast.

#488 10 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Widebody games can easily be fast players with the right setup. I Jack my games up steep and make the slings super sensitive. My sttng is crazy fast. Demo man is insanely fast, almost too fast. TZ is decently fast.

Floatiness isn't necessarily a speed thing and sure, you can make anything play fast.

But factory setup, which means a pitch of 6.5 or so, most widebodies tend to be floaty.

Demo Man is a great example of a game not using a lot of the extra space... just some captive ball toys you hardly shoot at on the left.

#489 10 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

If they remake it, it will sell like crazy. I find routed ones always play like shit, so a remake will allow everyone to play a fast, well-tuned copy.

It actually takes very little to really dial in a TZ and make it very fast. My first pin was a TZ that needed a lot of love and had some extremely unique problems that I've never heard of or seen since and I knew nothing about fixing pins then. But I got it done and my TZ plays super strong, reliable, and fast. I've got the playfield angle fairly high, too, to compensate. It's still fast.

#490 10 months ago

I'd be interested in a standard edition TZ remake for sure. who wouldn't at the prices the Bally TZs are selling at these days. The market is ready and willing. make the TZ remake; just like Cactus Canyon, it will sell volume and mass appeal is readily apparent af. everybody wins!!!!

#491 10 months ago

TZ would be way more popular than CC yeah? I guess it’s just a matter of getting the rights. Gary’s not secretly holding on to them is he?

I’d be in for the “Lost my Wallet in the Zone” edition for sure.

#492 10 months ago

Somewhere a while back (like a few years ago) a very official person (Doug or Rick?) posted an actual list of the 6 remakes Cgc was doing. As I recall tz was not on that list. I didn’t dream that up, did I? Can anyone back me up on this?

#493 10 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

a very official person (Doug or Rick?) posted an actual list of the 6 remakes Cgc was doing.

Wasn't Doug or Rick or anybody official.

Way back when there may have been a post of planning 10 remakes then reduced to six. Never any titles of what they were planning.

LTG : )

#494 10 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Somewhere a while back (like a few years ago) a very official person (Doug or Rick?) posted an actual list of the 6 remakes Cgc was doing. As I recall tz was not on that list. I didn’t dream that up, did I? Can anyone back me up on this?

You are probably thinking about Rick's post here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-remake-this-game-is-scary-good-chicago-gaming-company/page/2#post-4127913

So, as of 5 years ago, there were 7 remakes planned (3 more to go). The other 2 titles mentioned by Rick as possibilities were ToM and BBB. But as Rick also said - the potential list could change over time. If CGC thinks they could sell more TZr games than BBB or ToM, then it might actually happen.

#495 10 months ago
Quoted from Damonator:

You are probably thinking about Rick's post here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-remake-this-game-is-scary-good-chicago-gaming-company/page/2#post-4127913
So, as of 5 years ago, there were 7 remakes planned (3 more to go). The other 2 titles mentioned by Rick as possibilities were ToM and BBB. But as Rick also said - the potential list could change over time. If CGC thinks they could sell more TZr games than BBB or ToM, then it might actually happen.

You beat me to it.

Reviewing the post again, two of the four he mentions have been made. So does that mean Theatre of Magic or Bing Bang Bar is next?

#496 10 months ago

Yeah I think that’s the one. But I swear I saw something even more explicit. Basically a bullet point list where really the only question mark was the order. But this is great info.

Also I just bought an amazing Tom, so it’s very likely to be the next remake…hahaha. But I’m wanting totan myself. Bbb doesn’t do it for me.

The quote below is copy pasted from Ricks post just to put it here:

7 (MM, AFM, and at least 5 more) remakes coming, all are products of Chicago Gaming, and licensed thru Planetary Pinball. PPS is in constant contact with CGC on the games in development, we provide the approvals, as well as the blueprints, some parts, and review feature sets/pricing. But in general, the games are Chicago Gaming product (product support, warranty, etc), and of course we spend alot of time feeding them with input, highlighting any issues, etc - all to try to make the best game possible. PPS also happens to be one if not the largest remake game distributor. What I can tell you is that in the list of likely remakes are CC, MB, TOM, BBB ... that list may change as other games become more interesting to add in based on desirability, etc

#497 10 months ago

While I would love a TZ remake, I would think that (on top of the licensing issues) the re-tooling necessary to make wide-body machines might be costly/inconvenient. If they could spread that cost among multiple titles that would help a lot.

But, the only other wide-body remake candidates in the Pinside top 100 are Indiana Jones (#20) and Road Show (#87). Yes, the Pinside ranking is flawed, but it's still a decent list of what is popular or not.

IJ has its own licensing issues, and no one is clamoring for a RS remake (even though I think RS is underrated). Unless CGC is planning to release its own wide-body designs in the future, I doubt they would go this route.

#498 10 months ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

While I would love a TZ remake, I would think that (on top of the licensing issues) the re-tooling necessary to make wide-body machines might be costly/inconvenient. If they could spread that cost among multiple titles that would help a lot.
But, the only other wide-body remake candidates in the Pinside top 100 are Indiana Jones (#20) and Road Show (#87). Yes, the Pinside ranking is flawed, but it's still a decent list of what is popular or not.
IJ has its own licensing issues, and no one is clamoring for a RS remake (even though I think RS is underrated). Unless CGC is planning to release its own wide-body designs in the future, I doubt they would go this route.

I've heard others make this argument, but I don't quite understand it. Pinball machines are hand built by all manufacturers. Every single title requires retooling (ramps, toys, playfields, dimple press, wire harness looms, etc). I don't see how adding a couple of inches to a playfield requires extensive changes otherwise. Spooky just made their first widebody and I didn't hear anything about mass "re-tooling" efforts.

I'm not trying to refute what you are saying, just asking for your perspective.

#499 10 months ago

Wide body vs non-widebody is a moot point I think.

Demand and licensing are the main drivers when deciding what is next on the line I wager. There are additional costs going wide body, the main being cabinet, wider playfield blank and pf glass but not uncharted areas either.

Gary Stern himself stated licensing is a huge PITA now, anyone making pins is going to go after the low hanging fruit.

Conjecture; Easier to make a TZ pin than an Indy pin due to age of franchise and number of actors still alive with their hands out for money. Aliens could not use Ripley at all due to Weaver's agent demanding astronomical amounts of money. She is notably absent from Ghostbusters as well.

#500 10 months ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I've heard others make this argument, but I don't quite understand it. Pinball machines are hand built by all manufacturers. Every single title requires retooling (ramps, toys, playfields, dimple press, wire harness looms, etc). I don't see how adding a couple of inches to a playfield requires extensive changes otherwise. Spooky just made their first widebody and I didn't hear anything about mass "re-tooling" efforts.
I'm not trying to refute what you are saying, just asking for your perspective.

Sure, there are new items made for each title, but, the cabinets and playfields are not "hand built". I'm sure that having a standard cabinet size makes life a lot easier in many respects and the same goes for the playfield. I believe CGC is the only company still doing silk-screened playfields, who knows what additional costs/tooling would be required to do wide-body silk-screens?

The real question (and I've never heard a clear cut answer), does CGC still manufacture cabinets for any of the other pinball companies (they did at one point in time)? And if so, are any of THEM wide bodies?

And yes, the licensing is certainly a huge issue when it comes to TZ and IJ. If there were several popular non-licensed wide-body remakes to be be done, maybe it would be worth re-tooling for - but the only one is Road Show (which is unlikely to be a huge seller).

So, unless CGC really can get both the TZ and IJ licenses, it's probably not worth the effort.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 12.95
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
There are 852 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-twilight-zone-remake-/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.