Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jfh
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D5FE5D3D-0698-421C-B394-BCA2322D8083 (resized).png
    IMG_9324 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4980 (resized).JPG
    MBr_Under (resized).JPG
    MMR_Under_PinballNews (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 1 year ago

If you have an original and a remake side-by-side, will they feel different? YES

But...

If you have an original and another original side-by-side they will feel different too.

The build quality on the remakes is excellent, they play so close to an original as to not matter.

Furthermore, did anyone really expect that a brand new out of the box machine would play exactly the same as a 25 year old machine?

The remakes are done extremely well. You won't be disappointed with either a remake or a (well-cared for) original.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

The flippers are garbage on the remakes. I don't think throw is the issue, its just that they are weak and they fade super fast. If it wasn't for the crappy flippers the remake would easily be my choice. The problem isn't the throw, or delay, or any of that. It is how they are driven.

I don't know where you are getting this from, especially since you don't own a remake.

The only time I have felt any flipper fade was near the end of my best Monster Bash game (over 3 billion) which took over an hour (and it might have really been ME that was fading). My "original" WhiteWater machine can get some fade on very long games too.

And as for the flippers being weak, that's just silly. I've had to turn down the flipper power on my MBr just to keep the balls from flying off the ramp shots.
    If there is a complaint to be made about the remake flippers, it's that they are too strong...not too weak.

In my opinion, most of the people who complain about the remakes either haven't really spent any time with them, or are just pissed that they have brought down the prices of their originals.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wiggles:

While I would love an original MM, paying twice as much for one is almost out of the question. What motivated me to create this thread was I'd rather buy a 15k original that looks, sounds, and plays exactly like I've come to expect versus a remake that tries to emulate the experience, but noticeably falls short. Based on the great responses I've received so far it seems like this is definitely not the case and any differences in how they feel are negligible. You brought up a very good point to that very few older pins are 100% original given all the restorations, upgrades, third party parts, and mods many have received over the years. I'm sure every MM original I've played in my life probably felt slightly different than when it was brand new in the late 90s.
    But as long as I can be fooled into thinking I'm playing an original even though its a remake then I could really care less when it was made or what's under the hood.

Then you will NOT be disappointed by a remake. Of course, the best thing to do would be to find someone who has a remake and put a few games on it to see for yourself.

Will it play exactly the same as the "one you remember"...probably not. But then, my Eight Ball Deluxe does not play the same as my brother's Eight Ball Deluxe either, and they are both obviously originals.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from chad:

I finally had a chance to look under a Monster Bash playfield. Dread having to pull the large board because of a switch fail. Unplugging all the connections, and being careful not to ESD zap any major PIC chip.

Is that any different than any other "modern" machine (i.e. a current Stern)?

The remakes are "modern" versions of the original layouts, with all the pluses and minuses that come with that...

And for those that say the RGB lighting is "bad/ugly/annoying", you can set them to be a single color (i.e. white), if that's what you want.

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Yes, it is completely different.
    I get it. You give complete full throated support to CGC. But it sounds like you haven't looked under the playfield of many games.

How is it different? I admit that I am no expert on Sterns, but I hear lots of complaining about how node boards fail and can't be fixed.

As to "looking under playfields", I've owned my WhiteWater since 1996 and my EBD since 1984 - and I can assure you I've had to do lots of "looking".

You don't keep an EBD running for 38 years without knowing the underside of its playfield very well.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Whole game flashes red cause I hit Drac, then green because Creech. Its just insulting to be honest

Well, if that's your idea of an insult, better stay away from New Jersey....

#58 1 year ago

I agree that the one big board could have been split into 2 or 3 boards, but then you are adding more connectors (and connectors can be a big failure point too). Like I said above, there are pluses and minuses either way.

#76 1 year ago

Interestingly, I posted about this a while ago. This same issue has happened to me twice.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-out-on-mbr

Furthermore, I saw a MBr on location that had the same problem. Always the bottom LED also.

Fortunately, replacing that little PCB is a pretty easy task. It's the only real problem I've had with my MBr (other than some minor adjustments).

#81 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Duty cycle and flipper response delay are different things. Duty cycle has to do with the frequency of alternating power. Stern has used it to great effect to manage temperature rise while the flippers are in hold because their Spike hardware can do sub 1ms duty cycles while everyone else cannot.

I can't claim to be a Stern expert, but isn't the reason they do this is because they don't have a specific "hold" circuit like B/W (and remakes) flippers have?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-remakes-vs-originals?tu=mbeardsley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.