Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jfh
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D5FE5D3D-0698-421C-B394-BCA2322D8083 (resized).png
    IMG_9324 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4980 (resized).JPG
    MBr_Under (resized).JPG
    MMR_Under_PinballNews (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaveH.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 1 year ago

You will find people on both sides of this coin. Some will say "Original or nothing". Other will say "Remakes are the way". But in the end, it all comes down to you.

For my money, the best thing about the remakes is that they dropped the price of the originals a few years ago. AFMr came out, and I was able to scoop up a decent original AFM for short cash (compared to the prices before the remakes).

I know the original I have will last another 25 years without blinking. If a board goes bad, I can repair it. I have the parts and the schematics. The most likely failure points like batteries were removed immediately (yes, my Ruling of the Universe has the wrong date, oh well).

And finally, flippers. I'm not here to restart the war over flipper feel of the remake. I felt it was different. The remake feels just a tiny bit delayed to me. I'm sure I could have adjusted, but I don't need to. I guess that is just my preference. If I hadn't bought mine, I would have eventually bought a remake to just own it for a while.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from andre060:

Debunked a long time ago using an oscilloscope, they aren't more delayed.

You can measure it to the millisecond and tell me it isn't delayed. And I will say the exact same thing...

Quoted from DaveH:

The remake feels just a tiny bit delayed to me.

When I play it, it feels different to me. The key words there are "I", "feels", and "different". I'm always happy when people telling me what I think is wrong. But when I play AFMr, it feels different.

Quoted from mbeardsley:

In my opinion, most of the people who complain about the remakes either haven't really spent any time with them, or are just pissed that they have brought down the prices of their originals.

Your opinion is completely wrong. I don't actually think that, because it's just your opinion. I'm only discounting it because that is what you are doing to other peoples opinions. I've spent enough time with the remake to know it feels different. But I think the remakes were one of the best things to happen in pinball in the last 10 years. So many more people got to own these games than would have before the remakes. And more pinball is always awesome.

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

they seems to be built like a shit brick house (I still dont know what that means).

Brick shithouse.

A “shithouse,” or in Australia a dunny is an outhouse used for urinating and defecating. These buildings, used before indoor plumbing was common, covered one or more toilets which were usually nothing more than holes or “latrines” dug in the ground. The buildings were usually built cheaply out of odd bits of wood and were meant to be easy to move once the hole was filled with waste. An outhouse built out of brick, therefore, would be one that was much more well-built than usual, hence the allusion in the idiom.

And finally, I got to use the word "shithouse" in context on Pinside. This day had become better than I could have hoped for.

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Is that any different than any other "modern" machine (i.e. a current Stern)?

Yes, it is completely different.

I get it. You give complete full throated support to CGC. But it sounds like you haven't looked under the playfield of many games.

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

How is it different? I admit that I am no expert on Sterns, but I hear lots of complaining about how node boards fail and can't be fixed.

The CGC games use MUCH larger boards under most of the playfield. Basically they use one large uber board for most things.

I couldn't put my hands on the underside of MBr, so this is MMr (credit Pinball News at https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2016/02/10/medieval-madness-remake-in-depth-review/ for the pic).

MMR_Under_PinballNews (resized).jpgMMR_Under_PinballNews (resized).jpg

Monster Bash remake is similar, a couple of boards covering most of the underside of the playfield. The LEDs are soldered onto those boards.

Stern uses much smaller sections of light boards, which make them easier to work on (don't complain, it is my opinion, they get in the way less).

Your point about node boards is true. Stern went to them to save money for Stern. They are difficult to repair, difficult to get replacements, and sometimes if you pop one like the turntable node board in Batman66, you are in deep doodoo. I haven't heard much about the remake game boards going bad, but that is something that only time can tell. Or maybe I just don't hear about it because I don't work on them.

I just grabbed a clip from a video to show this a little bit under MBr. The issue that chad was pointing out was this:

MBr_Under (resized).JPGMBr_Under (resized).JPG

The video didn't show it well, because the board was too big and they were too close to it. But you get the idea.

The part NYP was pointing out was that if an LED goes on there, you are pulling and soldering. And the odds are the color won't match. When sockets were used, you might have to change a few LEDs to match them all. Heck, when I broke them in the pop caps of Tron, I'd just replace all 3, because there was no chance of color matching the once that were still good.

Quoted from mbeardsley:

You don't keep an EBD running for 38 years without knowing the underside of its playfield very well.

Nope, you don't. But it is worth the effort, because it is one of the greatest games ever made.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaveH.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-remakes-vs-originals?tu=DaveH and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.