Linked Games

Topic poll

“Have you had inconsistent scoop issues with CGC remakes?”

• Yes 29 votes
    73%
  • No 11 votes
    28%

(40 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider guymontag451.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

We own a pinball bar in portland and operate games around town. We have recently received two new Monster Bash remakes and also own two AFM remakes. ALL FOUR of our machines have an inconsistent scoop kickout. Meaning sometimes it hits the middle of the flipper like it should, sometimes it hits the very tip of the flipper making a slap save possible, and other times it just rockets down the center (this is happening way too often). It has elicited a ton of customer complaints, especially because those scoops are very necessary to hit throughout the game. We have tried everything we can think of, in the settings, testing to make sure the coil is getting consistent current, etc. Eventually we just sorts hand-bent the scoop on one of our AFMs to alter its directory. Works better now, still not 100%. Wondering if anyone else has experienced similar issues, and what have y'all done about it? Our MBs are really starting to get bad, it probably throws it down the drain 75% now (but feels like 100% to customers).

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I upped my scoop power on MBr, mine is also on location, I haven't received any complaints yet and in about 40-50 games I put on it I only had two balls go SDTM from the scoop.

Interesting. It's reassuring I guess to hear that not all remakes suffer from this. I will try and up the power on it again. Have done that before and it didn't have an effect. My problems aren't like a dribble out, or a slow kickout. It really feels like the trajectory of the ball is random, not like the kickout is weak and therefore the issue. But I will crank it up again and see how it goes. I was just wondering if anyone else has come across the same problems.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

MMR kickout is to the side behind the damsel ramp and has a rubber ring there so it never results in drains. So really the question is for AFMR and MBR?

Yes, we haven't had any issues with our MMr, although it doesn't have a true scoop on it.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:Oh, second fix I did was to shim the kickout plunger up a bit so it just about touched the ball in the bottom of the scoop when at rest (stock setup has about 3/16" gap between the tip of the plunger and the ball). I cut a 1/2" length of flipper rubber (a square), placed it on the bracket the plunger rests on and wrapped electrical tape around bracket and rubber tightly. This setup causes the plunger to push the ball out much more consistently than when the plunger strikes the ball on the way up.
This fix is more important than the first one but both are eventually necessary.
Note that being able to drop-catch the scoop consistently will make your MB much easier... open the outlanes to compensate

Thank you, this makes sense to me. Closing that gap will likely help. I will post after with an update.

#18 5 years ago

Ended up taking a super slow motion video of it in action on the iphone, and saw the top of the scoop was giving a ton of backspin and sort of dropping the ball as it was thrown out of the scoop. Looks like the way the scoops came were just a little too tall. Grabbed some pliers and manually bent the scoop lower. Seems to have corrected the majority of the issue. Time will tell.

But it looks like the new lower top of the scoop doesn't allow it to follow the path of the scoop so high off of the playfield and drop the ball out of the air. I am sure that a little bit of air is inevitable, but this seems much better having bent it to be quite a bit lower. More predictable. Just little bit strange that we have had four machines all with the exact same issue. Seems like something that would get looked at more closely during assembly on the line, but no big deal. Easy enough fix.

#19 5 years ago

Another UPDATE:

Still not fixed. Thought the bending of the scoop helped, still wildly inconsistent. It appears that when rolling a ball in manually with the glass off it tests really well. But when the ball is hit in off of a flipper, not so much. Not sure why, but it must not seat properly everytime it goes into the scoop. Still not sure exactly why. Hope to do the rubber shim approach that metallik suggested next.

#27 5 years ago

Ended up removing the scoop assembling and moving it about an 1/8th in and twisting it to the left and then remounting it. Got flipper rubber shim fix on it as well. Power to coil at max. Currently working much better. But again, time will tell. If it acts up again I will wax it like 22troy said. One I rotated and remounted the scoop like you said, it seems to have solved the problem for now.

#31 5 years ago

Still working after the remounting and shim fixes. Hopefully this does it long term. I love these CGC remakes, but here's to hoping the next one doesn't have a scoop!

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Did CGC send this?
My AFMLE shoots SDTM over 50% of the time. It is getting frustrating!!!

I know your pain! That's why I started this thread. It does seem like this is a far too common problem. Not everyone has experienced it, but too many in my opinion.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greeley, CO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.00
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 33.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider guymontag451.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-remake-scoop-problems?tu=guymontag451 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.