Topic Stats

• 1,559 posts
  • 240 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 days ago by ataritoday
  • Topic is favorited by 130 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 196 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

73e88997f61c990ac6bab5468d83bcef8b303cab (resized).png
IMG-9504 (resized).JPG
IMG_5099 (resized).JPG
IMG_5100 (resized).JPG
624FDB9C-BB85-45EA-B810-BCF205E7E28D (resized).jpeg
93A09089-DC9E-4FFC-9E6A-1AA5B564D06F (resized).jpeg
IMG_0050 (resized).jpg
IMG_0964 (resized).JPG
IMG_0963 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0280 (resized).JPG
IMG_0279 (resized).JPG
IMG_0276 (resized).JPG
IMG_0278 (resized).JPG
IMG_0274 (resized).JPG
raising_the_bar_feature (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #392 Report of AFMR SE delivery! Posted by sandersj (2 years ago)

Post #431 Update from CGC on latest shipping, and details on packaging changes Posted by CGC_DougS (2 years ago)

Post #522 Nifty LED information on cool white LED's for AFMR Posted by NiftyLED (2 years ago)

Post #613 Update from Doug on AFMR build status. LE's now in production. Posted by CGC_DougS (2 years ago)

Post #711 Production update Posted by CGC_DougS (2 years ago)

Post #777 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by CGC_DougS (2 years ago)

Post #820 AFM LE delivered! Posted by kidchrisso (2 years ago)

Post #1157 September 1st Update from CGC Posted by CGC_DougS (2 years ago)

Post #1175 Production update from CGC including game #3 launch targets! Posted by CGC_DougS (2 years ago)

Post #1214 Pre-Expo production update from Doug at CGC Posted by CGC_DougS (2 years ago)

Post #1348 update from CGC with regard to flipper power settings fix in the works Posted by CGC_DougS (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 2 years ago

Please install factory mylar on the pops and ball drops!
I hate having to remove everything to install must have protection that should have already been there.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

more saucer LED show, mirror blades, topper light show and two more saucer LED show up there too, and the big martian hopping up and down, and longer warranty.

So really only one choice...
The big martian sells it for me! (It gonna scare the hell out of the cat for a few days at least!)

1 week later
#85 2 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Hi CGC_DougS. Was just curious how things have been going regarding AFM since your last check in.
I can imagine you are all super busy but what do you think about the idea of sharing small updates with us maybe once per week (maybe Fridays or Mondays so that your normal week isn't intetupted)? It would be fun to be connected with CGC in some way throughout the process.

And please let us know that you are applying factory mylar between the pop bumpers and in the ball drop areas...

(eagerly holding my breath...)

#97 2 years ago
Quoted from CGC_DougS:

• Yes, even the very first AFM will be shipped with the mylar and metal hole guards installed.

Yay! Mylar AND backboard art?????? OMG you guys ROCK !

(I got my wish from the pinball fairies... and think I peed myself a little...)

#99 2 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

OT: would love to see the new large display offered on MMr!

From what I understand from Rick at PPS, the whole panel will be available as a drop in replacement for many games.
But not necessarily in color unless you already have it on your MMr.

What might be way cool would be to have colorDMD and PPS work together on the new big panels.
New Hi Res art for all the popular games would be a huge endeavor, but one could dream about it...

#158 2 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

Yeah I already have the color upgrade on MMr... the big display would be cool though if they do make a "kit".

They would also have to re-do the animations and video artwork to make it hi-res like the AFMr.
That would be EPIC!

#166 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Have you seen MMr color? It's more detailed, smaller dots. If you get an AFMr "Classic" Edition - you can upgrade to the color dots...they're the same dots that are on the big monitor. It's literally the same concept of watching something on a small TV or a big TV. Resolution can be the same on any size monitor.

For example. You can look at this MMR image on your phone - or on your computer - or on a projector screen. Same art, same resolution, different size display.

The new AFMr animations have been completely redrawn at 4X the pixel density.
They are completely new and very will done.

I dont know if MMr went thru the same treatment, if it did then thats awesome!

It is true that you could get away with a big dot display of the same old thing but, the way they handled AFMr with completely redrawing all the animations is just stunningi

http://www.chicago-gaming.com/afm.php

Take a look half way down the page you will see what I mean. There is a comparison there.

#178 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They did the SAME EXACT THING on MMR! lol ....srsly, believe me.

I love what they did with the color MMr! Thanks.

Seriously, after seeing this I want to sell my MM original and get a MMr with bigger screen and color.

#194 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Y is this? I played a few afmrs and mmrs at allentown and the callouts were lower than the music and sound effects? Im sure it can be adjusted tho.....

There are tons of adjustments for the audio on the AFMr.

#206 2 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

The MMr firmware is composed of a couple linux images that are loaded up onto the beaglebone. If you're crafty, you can extract the images from the firmware file, and mount them on to your filesystem. Once mounted, you can directly access the sample files. I ran them through a program that increases the volume of the callouts. You can also enable the profanity callout if you wanted to as well.

That doesnt seem too bad.
Hook us up?

1 week later
#297 2 years ago
Quoted from CGC_DougS:

The CGC line is up and running – the first four games are scheduled to ship tomorrow! We are initially building one hundred Special Edition games; Limited Edition games will then immediately follow.
We greatly appreciate your comments – many of your suggestions have been incorporated into AFMr. These improvements include:
1. CGC Stroke of Luck Hole Protector
2. Additional mylar has been added to further protect the playfield.
3. Blackout Feature – the game owner can now set the translite illumination to be turned off during Strobe Multiball.
4. Back Panel Art – The original AFM did not have back panel art. Doug Watson, created all new artwork for the backpanel.
5. Topper – Since we first debuted the topper at TPS, a great deal of time has been spent refining and further integrating it into game play.
6. SuzoHapp Door – The new coin door now features two slotted coin openings (with US quarter coin mechanisms) and will now accommodate a standard upstack bill acceptor (being highly requested by the operating community). For European customers, we will be using the single slot electronic coin mechanism opening (no mechanism included).
7. Customized Logo Display – Both the LE and SE now allow the game owner to customize the logo appearing on the speaker panel. Games will ship with the Bally logo appearing in the small Customized Logo Display area. Details on file requirements and installation procedures to be included in the manual.
By Friday of next week, we will be sharing a rough production schedule with our dealers. It’s up to the dealers to communicate to their customers where they fall in line, collect balances due, and ultimately arrange transportation on the games. We are ever so grateful for your input and the passion that so many show towards this industry. Please also follow us at https://www.facebook.com/chicagogamingcompany/. More information to soon come out of CGC.
Thank you.
Doug Skor

Thanks Doug for your input it means a lot to this community!

One last request:

Add a headphone jack to at least the LE version.
The new audio system supports it.

Maybe get in touch with pinnovators and see if they can rig something up like Jack did.
Or at the very least supply some info on how you guys would add one in, as an insert to the manual.

1 week later
#319 2 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Just emailed Pinnovators and they said no one from CGC or Planetary has approached them about a headphone jack system.
Is that something you guys may consider or is one already built in the new system that I have just not read about yet?
I have Pinnovators in all my games and would love one in this game as well some day.

From what I understand, the new beaglebone system has audio out support.
Headphones can be attached to it.

It would be great if CGC would help out with a sketch of a schematic to add headphones to the system.

2 weeks later
#542 2 years ago

To offer a protector the offers no protection is stupid. Come on guys you're better than this!

The protector is too shallow and doesnt lay flush with the surface of the playfield.

Are they installed incorrectly or is the part out of spec?

This mantis style protector must lay flush with the playfield surface, Or possibly just a hair above.

There must be a problem with the measurement of the thickness of the playfield that was sent to the metal fabricator. These are off 1/16" or more from what I have seen in the initial unboxings.

All clearcoated edges must be covered and protected. Otherwise you will absolutely get chipping and abnormal wear.

These will have to be recalled and redone.

Any word on this Doug? Rick?

#549 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Mantis style protectors traditionally would sit slightly below the playfield surface.. hence why they were preferred as interfering less with the hole/shot compared to cliffy style protectors that were 'over the edge'.
The scoop takes damage as the balls bounce off the back of the scoop and on games like AFM.. from balls coming in from the side angles and hitting the opposite edge of the hole. You don't need the protector above or flush with the PF. The thickness of the metal itself allows it to sit that dimension under the edge and still prevent a hit against the edge of the PF.

Still, it looks a little low, and some chipping had been reported.
I think it has to be like 1/32" below the playfield surface to be effective in all cases.
Higher than the playfield surface just nicks the ball up.

If the protector offered isnt adequate, a cliffy will do the job after the fact.

#556 2 years ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

This helps as well:
amazon.com link »

If the protector works well enough then there really is no concern at all.
Im just a nervous nelly when it comes to pinball I guess, and a fan of the cliffys.

A little square of mylar might be all that is needed there.

3 weeks later
#718 2 years ago

Doug-

I dont want a cabinet that splits easily. Can you hold on to mine or build it later when this issue is fixed?

#728 2 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

For what it's worth I had a nice conversation with Doug, who called me this afternoon after I opened a ticket earlier this morning.
He assured me the cabinets are not splitting. The isolated decal issues are due to the stretching of some of the decals as they were wrapped. I feel no signs of raised wood behind the VERY mild decal splits my AFMr SE has, which are only noticeable if you're 2 inches away with a camera and flash.
These guys stand by the quality of their products 100%, and I was more than satisfied with their response when I asked what happens should the cabinet start falling apart a couple years down the line or the decal gets progressively worse.
My AFMr played perfect out of the box, and continues to do so. Not a single adjustment was needed.
I think everybody should relax, and enjoy your LE's which will hopefully be getting to you very soon!
Oh, and *ahem* CGC, if you're reading this, I think it would be a REALLY cool idea to eventually release a mini-saucer upgrade kit to purchase for us humble SE and Classic owners

Thank you so much for the info. I feel a lot better about this now.

#741 2 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Green was a bit too much for me, I went black.

Once you go black... etc....
I also ordered black.

#743 2 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

This game is going to be a pride and joy in my collection. Black side rails are just so - stern pro -ish. I can't imagine such ordinary for such a unique and extraordinary game.
I mean the game will be awesome either way but why take away a feature so "special and limited"? Aren't black rails available anywhere including on every Stern pro

Artistically, I just think the black fits the over-all look better. Also Im color blind so the green just looks tan to me.
Im sure its stunning if you could see it!

Im also curious how a dark red would look, it might also be nice.

#766 2 years ago

Decal splitting:

Is it possible to not wrap the decals around the edges? Im sure there is a reason to do this but it seems to me that this is leading into a problem area.

#768 2 years ago
Quoted from Knx873:

Don't all the LEs have a number?

Yes, but f you have a MMRle you can request a number that matches it.

#782 2 years ago

Wow, great looking team! Awsome!

1 week later
#969 2 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

Just set up my AFMr #11.
I just inspected the SOL protector and it is be low the playfield level. Is this good?
Also major scuff in the very front of the big saucer!

That protector is way too low.
Open a ticket and get it resolved, I think there are replacement protectors that fit correctly.
Maybe put a piece of mylar over the area in the meantime to prevent damage?

1 week later
#1062 2 years ago
Quoted from hillbilly:

I have had my AMFrLE with black trim since Monday; however, I haven't been able to play it too much. I had a NIB problem I thought I would share with the community, especially those getting an LE. I would not get any semblance of GI, display or back box lighting. First, I want to be clear that the service was OUTSTANDING by CGC and PPS. I received a call within an hour of placing at ticket with CGC from Lloyd and when he couldn't help me Sean from CGC engineering contacted me through the portal and called me the very next day. Rick from PPS called me the same day as well, making sure that someone had been in touch with me at CGC. After a couple days of troubleshooting the problem was finally identified. The topper connector was shorting out and keeping the power supply from properly delivering 12V to the controller board. There was a small flaw with the topper board and the pin connector which was mentioned previously in this thread. I cut the pin on the board(3rd pin down)but did not remove the plug from the connector. This was keeping the plug from properly seating on the topper board which caused the problem. I would recommend removing the plug on the connector for the topper board (lower right) regardless if you cut the pin on the board. Just takes a paper clip to push the plug out from the back. Regardless of the delay, I am still enjoying my new pin. I was extremely happy with the prompt response from CGC and PPS. I had previously bought a MMrLE and won't hesitate to buy from them again.

So maybe break off a toothpick in the hole of the connector instead of the ill fitting plastic plug for safety maybe and still cut the pin off the board?
Shove the toothpick in so that it doesnt raise the connector off the board (old school repair...).

1 week later
#1106 2 years ago

The code in CC is no way finished at this point.
Re-writing it to address some new concepts is the way to go.

So, I'm thinking CC plus, other than just a remake.

So few CC games hit the market most people have never seen one.
I think it would be an immediate success due to not competing with the other successful 20 year old titles already on the street.
It just needs about 2 years of coding...

BBB would also greatly benefit from refreshing the code, IMHO its a bit shallow game-wise, a lot more can be done to finish or polish it up.

#1108 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

What isn't finished ?
According to the design teams fireside chat at Expo years ago. One rule on the rule card isn't in there. And they explained why it got left out. Everything else is done.
LTG : )

Finished might be too strong a word here as all of the features and inserts do work.
The title seems dated a bit and might not be competitive as it stands currently?
Polished? Maybe modernized a bit? There's definitely more to do with the story line IMO...( cowboys and aliens comes to mind...)

#1137 2 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Keith Elwin is posting on Facebook how he can't hit any of his shots on this remake.
Saying it "Plays like video pinball".
And that it's "Definite Latency"

I can make the 5 way combo fairly consistantly on my game. I dont feel any latency at all. It loops as smooth and fast as my TOM. Possibly smoother and faster, its really a joy to play!

1 week later
#1162 2 years ago

Doug

My game is near perfect in my opinion congrats the you and the team! A job super well done.
Incredibly fast, fun and brutal at times. I always want to come back for more!

Will there be any software updates to AFMr?

I can only find 3 things to address:

I would like to see the blink rate of the martian standup targets reduced to make the flashing more apparent.
I agree with others that this should be fixed in the code.

The strobe LED is amazing and super bright as it should be! I love it.
Maybe the aftermarket modders can come up with a lens or diffuser to compensate for the checkerboard reflection.
Its more apparent with higher brightness settings, noticeable but not terrible.

Have an engineer on your team write up a schematic and recommended parts list for headphone installation that we can download. This way any modified games will be similar and have parity in the field, a lot of us are good builders and can do the work.

I already started a thread for this and can document the installation.

These fixes would make a almost perfect game even more perfect in my opinion.

Thank you so much for this incredible game!

3 weeks later
#1206 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If you have the latest software in your game. In the CGC menu, you can turn the LED strobe brighter than the original.
LTG : )

I had it all the way up for one game only.

I thought i had burned my eyes and had thoughts that I was going to have a seizure during strobe MB.
I would say its plenty bright

I agree, much brighter than an original with a new xenon bulb, but without the plastic warping heat.

4 months later
#1458 1 year ago

I installed my pic 2 chip yesterday.

Turn off the game (you dont have to unplug it).

Unlock the backbox. The key is on a hook inside the coin door above one of the coin mechs.

Lift the translite assembly by the lift channel along its lower edge and pull out out of the game.
There is a wire that attaches it to a circuit board. You can unplug it or rest the translite assembly on a towel to keep it from slipping down the playfield glass.

Apply the chip pulling tool to chip labelled SOL 1.0 to the non-pinned sides of the chip.

Grip the puller way down close to the chip and squeeze it firmly.

Rock the chip left to right firmly until it loosens a bit, most likely its in pretty tight. Pull it out.
Take notice of the small hole or dimple in the chip in the upper right of the chip. This orients the chip correctly in the socket.
There is also a white dot or mark on the circuit board to denote where to orient the chip's dimple if you get confused.

Place the new chip into the socket making sure the hole or dimple in the corner of the chip is in the upper right corner.
Make sure that all of the pins on the chip are headed into their socket locations and mostly centered.

Do not trust that the label was installed the same as the original chip. Do not install the chip backwards.

Check with a flashlight that all the pins are in their correct locations in the socket. Check this carefully.

Press the chip fully into the socket, make sure no pins were left out or pushed up but fully in their socket locations.

Replace the translite assembly and plug it back into the circuit board if you had unplugged it.

Lock the backbox and return the key to its hook on the coin door.

Turn on the game.
Make any adjustments to the coil strengths via the CGC menu (press and hold the button to the very left on the 4 button assembly inside the coin door.

This job took me 10 minutes.

I left my flippers on the default setting. I tested settings from -4 all the way to default. I have an early production version and am not getting any balls flying off the wireforms as of yet.

The new default seems slightly weaker than the original and is perfect for me.

1 week later
#1469 1 year ago

I will absolutely buy a MMR with the new wide screen and lighted speakers.

1 month later
#1482 1 year ago

Doug is a great guy and didnt deserve the regular pinside bashing that happens here all the time.
He very much cares about CGC , the games and the customers. He only wants the best of all things.
It's kinda sad that some pinsiders dont value the great asset he is as much as others.

Im sure he will announce anything important if need be.

Dont worry.

#1492 1 year ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

just learn to ignore the idiots. This has to be part of any media outreach I’m guessing.

Mega corporations have teams dedicated to swaying the masses in their direction. They study habits and find that discrete postings here and there have a desirable effect.

I would rather CGC spent its resources on making a really good product.

Social media costs and manipultaion generally drive quality down but can make people happy by just participating or wearing your logo!

Im not falling for it. Just make a great product please, and forget about making friends in the ether-sphere.

Doug and many others may be right, forget pinside, too much BS.

#1497 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

what I don't give them a pass on is not addressing the issue in such a way that satisfies the customer.

Its impossible to satisfy 100% of ones customer base, most companies dont even try.

A small amount of consumers needs can be so specialized that they cannot be helped.
Large companies dont even try or care, just refund them and move on.

Im very pleased with the way the current pinball manufactureres are handling obscure events that occur 1 in 1000, or 3 in 1500 transactions.

Could they do better? Probably, but at some point you have to determine what is good enough and leave it there.

It may not be right for every single transaction but it works well enough over-all.

Again, Its important to note that the vast majority of transactions go off without a hitch.

Business is strictly a numbers game.

3 weeks later
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Columbia Station, OH
$ 87.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
€ 3.70
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 2,000.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 67.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
MicksPinball
$ 11.95
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
€ 9.10
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 125.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wood Dale, IL
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Atlanta, GA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside