(Topic ID: 211689)

CGC Game #3 is Monster Bash! Official Pics are HERE!!!

By Only_Pinball

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,078 posts
  • 475 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 85 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181201_155245_resized (resized).jpg
20181201_155211_resized (resized).jpg
20181201_155204_resized (resized).jpg
20181201_151950_resized (resized).jpg
20181201_151945_resized (resized).jpg
20181201_110533_resized (resized).jpg
20181201_105838_resized (resized).jpg
AE1E02DE-F019-4B2A-87AD-AD8FC28AD902 (resized).jpeg
9A3C7536-93DD-44D2-A1CA-EAE390A5831F (resized).jpeg
DA209719-F7FE-4FCB-94A9-CFD17B0F6CDD (resized).jpeg
tesla (resized).jpg
Tuco (resized).jpg
20181111_001859 (resized).jpg
20181111_002030 (resized).jpg
20181111_001853 (resized).jpg
AFM LE topper (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1792 First Monster Bash remake leaked pics Posted by Monsterbashbombs (5 years ago)

Post #1916 Monster Bash remake official topper pics Posted by CGC-Ryan (5 years ago)

Post #2448 Picture under the playfield of the Monster Bash remake. Posted by knockerlover (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinbaltz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

I like the speculation about MBr versus CCr. Lets have a bit of analysis (tech crap follows)!
1. The code for both games is in 6809 assembly. This is a very verbose "language" that new software engineers don't really know at all.
2. If they were to make Cactus Canyon, the gold standard is epthegeek 's Continued software. Reimplementing the same features in ASM6809 is borderline impossible using the original code alone. That means that the modifications have to take place downstream (in the emulator). CGC uses stock roms for most every bit of emulation.
3. When you're making improvements in emulation, you really can't change a lot of the original code's behavior, BUT you can jump around it. This is generally used for things like debadging the game of any Williams logos on the DMD, coloring the dots and timing adjustments. Even with the advantages emulation gives you, writing new game modes in this way takes a lot of time, and for half of the modes that EP implemented in Continued, that would have to happen on the original game code.
So given the above technical factors, and given the fact that the talent pool at CGC has changed, I'd put my money on the next remake NOT being Cactus Canyon since it requires quite a bit of legwork for the product to work on any gameplay feature set compared to what already exists out there.

Maybe the delay is due to them getting away from emulation and actually re-writing the code. Having a separate CGC menu always seemed like a hack to me anyway.

The emulation also limits what they can do with colorization. Since WPC games didn't have a separate display ROM, they have to intercept the DMD signal similar to how ColorDMD does it (ColorDMD does a better job). On the remakes, you can occassionally see frames in orange before it changes to color.

I hope that their "new technology" is them getting away from emulation.

#151 6 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Agreed on all points! So the CGC menu trick is a bit simple. Basically the emulator receives all of the switch matrix events on the game, you then intercept the coin button switch events, stop the CPU clock, overlay the SDL display and redirect all the switch events to the custom menu.
Plus the DMD coloration scheme is likely different as to not infringe upon any of Randy's IP, so it could likely use a bit of tweaking.
I really don't see them getting away from emulation for the remakes though as they just don't have the software talent in house anymore to do it... I hope I'm wrong though! Happy to eat crow on this one.

Oh, I don't see it happening either, but that is what I would like to see.

I would also like to see them move from their own hardware to a P3-ROC, but that definitely won't happen!

A benefit of the P3-ROC would be that Eric's P-ROC code could be relatively easily converted to work with the P3-ROC. That would allow remake owners to run either CGC's or Eric's code, but now I am just dreaming...

6 months later
#1868 5 years ago

I'm still hoping that they switched to a P3-ROC, and that's what caused the delay.

They mentioned "new technology", but I'm not seeing any new technology in the pictures.

#1870 5 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Great point. I totally forgot they had mentioned this.

Of course, it's also possible that they were planning something new and had to abandon it.

#1879 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I don't see that as being likely.
Now that they've developed their own system for the remakes, there'd be little incentive not to use it, at least for MBr. P3ROC would be more expensive, plus they'd need to train their team to use the new environment. Also, their beaglebones are way cheaper than the mini-PCs being used on TNA / ACNC / Houdini / Kingpin / presumably Oktoberfest. There's no reason to use the P3ROC if there isn't new code - which they stated there isn't.
Whether their system is suitable for games which will likely require a total rewrite or massive additions to code, like CC / BBB / ToM is another question. Also, presumably, they will graduate to original titles at some point, if they stay in the game.
MBr is the last 'easy' one.
At least on the software side, as remarked on by a few forum members, it does seem a bit basic, with some pretty rudimentary colour masking on the display (as distinct from the excellent art / colouring). So how much the system is capable of is somewhat open to question.

I agree. I don't think it's likely either, but that is still what I would like to see.

Also, my understanding is that they don't currently have much of a software team, so it seems very unlikely that they would switch platforms.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 33.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 210.00
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinbaltz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-game-3-delayed?tu=pinbaltz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.