Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20200730-181935 (resized).jpg
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

I get a purple eggplant thinking about a NIB High Speed, Pinbot, Taxi, Sorcerer, Space Station, etc.

Anyone else think it would be cool to have a fleet of the magical 80’s jams?

If I post about it on Pinside enough will it happen?

CGC bangs out a $6K AFM & MB which is so awesome. Perhaps they can crank out a $5K 80’s gem. Wishful thinking, make it so.

Tell me you agree when the Bobs are looking

#2 3 years ago

I wouldn't pay 5k for those titles, and I like them, but plenty would

#3 3 years ago

Sure, pump some more supply out there and drop the price of originals. I'm all for it. Worked for MM and AFM.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

CGC bangs out a $6K AFM & MB which is so awesome. Perhaps they can crank out a $5K 80’s gem

It’d cost the same to make a Taxi/Pinbot/HS as it does to make an AFM ....

Same cabinet cost
    Same playfield cost
    Same CGC boards cost
    Same labour cost ...

I do like the “purple eggplant” reference though.

rd

#5 3 years ago

They wouldn’t be any cheaper than AFM so you need to ask yourself if you’d pay 6,000-6,500 for one of them.

#6 3 years ago

The thought is nice, but the price is not...

#7 3 years ago

I could see a fairly simple game at 5k price point but anything with a bunch of unique toys and mechs and that number goes right out the window.

#8 3 years ago

The price of Fathom is bonkers. That title could possibly be remade at a $5k price point since the BOM probably wouldn't be too high.

#9 3 years ago

I think games are priced at what they sell for

I think BOM is to determine margin between cost of business vs market value

MMR classic is what $2K+ more than both AFM & MB?

Odds are there's some "market" in that price difference. Sure, BOM isn't identical but $2K delta is a lot.

I'm sure I sound like a contrarian internet know it all & probably projected the $5K price because thats the max I'd pay.

But I do think CGC could make classics for a good price & sell quite a few.

I would F'n LOVE to have a room of pristine NIB 80's classics!

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

But I do think CGC could make classics for a good price & sell quite a few.

But they aren’t going to do it. They are going to keep making games that will sell for the 6k plus price point. Best ones to pick are the games that are currently selling for that amount or more used.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

But they aren’t going to do it. They are going to keep making games that will sell for the 6k plus price point. Best ones to pick are the games that are currently selling for that amount or more used.

True. But if we argue enough on Pinside maybe I can will it into existence.

What's the next CGC rumored to be? Have you heard anything?

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

True. But if we argue enough on Pinside maybe I can will it into existence.
    What's the next CGC rumored to be? Have you heard anything?

I think it’s Cactus canyon.

We did a poll recently to see if people would buy a CGC getaway at their current pricing. It didn’t go well for Whodey. Haha

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-buy-a-cgc-remake-of-high-speed-the-getaway#post-5726613

Imo these remakes don’t work unless it’s for games that are already selling at those prices or more.

So maybe Fathom? Maybe Centaur? Maybe quicksilver? Maybe star gazer? But I think they’d still be a tough sell. These didn’t sell well when new and wouldn’t sell well now imo. Unless they were under 5k, which ain’t happening.

#13 3 years ago

Fathom & Centuar would be so tit

CGC, make it so

#14 3 years ago

Seawitch.

#15 3 years ago

Technically it's from 1979 but Hercules could be a good one.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from ctviss:

Technically it's from 1979 but Hercules could be a good one.

From what I've heard, Hercules wasn't even a 'good one' in 1979.

-Hans

#17 3 years ago

Personally, I'd rather see NEW original ideas in the same vein of those great sci fi and space themes from the late 70s and 80s. How about some demand for new classics? I wouldn't even mind if they did some unofficial sequels with some throwback artwork and sounds.

On a side note, I'd love to see a run of machines where atleast 1 of every back to back theme produced isnt some commercial crap.

How about we stop recycling themes and quit digging thru the rock band and movie bucket and start getting back to conjuring up some epic original shit, just like those classic solid states that have been mentioned.

#18 3 years ago

Gameplan LochNess

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I get a purple eggplant thinking about a NIB High Speed, Pinbot, Taxi, Sorcerer, Space Station, etc.
    Anyone else think it would be cool to have a fleet of the magical 80’s jams?
    If I post about it on Pinside enough will it happen?
    CGC bangs out a $6K AFM & MB which is so awesome. Perhaps they can crank out a $5K 80’s gem. Wishful thinking, make it so.
    Tell me you agree when the Bobs are looking

Fail to see why you think production costs would be 2-4K lower for one of these games than one of the 90s classics they remade. This model only works if you think people will lay out 6500 (or more, since there would doubtless be additional R/D costs to repro a different cab and whatever else is required to make a new early system 11 game) for a high speed.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Personally, I'd rather see NEW original ideas

It's been mentioned in the past. At some point we'll see original titles. Don't know if it will be during the remakes or after. But they are planned.

LTG : )

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Fail to see why you think production costs would be 2-4K lower for one of these games than one of the 90s classics they remade.

Agreed, but even so its still not worth it to CGC.

You need a game that is already worth about what you would sell a new one for. You also need a game that is going to sell numbers. Low production games worth 6k aren't going to sell in large volumes new for 6k.

For a system 11 that leaves banzai run, but its relatively low production. Its also sporting a unique upper cabinet which increases cost. It isn't worth it to remake nor are any of the other system 11s. They are great games, just not valued high enough to justify a remake.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

It's been mentioned in the past. At some point we'll see original titles. Don't know if it will be during the remakes or after. But they are planned.

I just hope they're smoking lots of weed.

#23 3 years ago

To be able to own the older titles, in brand new condition, and to have new parts available?

Sign me up.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Agreed, but even so its still not worth it to CGC.
    You need a game that is already worth about what you would sell a new one for. You also need a game that is going to sell numbers. Low production games worth 6k aren't going to sell in large volumes new for 6k.
    For a system 11 that leaves banzai run, but its relatively low production. Its also sporting a unique upper cabinet which increases cost. It isn't worth it to remake nor are any of the other system 11s. They are great games, just not valued high enough to justify a remake.

There would be a market for
    The top system 11 titles...banzai, wwind, Elvira....the question of course is why bother with those when there’s still plenty of WPC games?

The answer is there’s no good reason to do it.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Fail to see why you think production costs would be 2-4K lower for one of these games than one of the 90s classics they remade. This model only works if you think people will lay out 6500 (or more, since there would doubtless be additional R/D costs to repro a different cab and whatever else is required to make a new early system 11 game) for a high speed.

Swore I said $1K less not $4K less

AFM + MB are $6K right?

I said $5K would be cool I thought. Right?

Cold crab rangoon is better at 3 am when I'm in my underwear with the fridge door open.

Tell me I'm wrong

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Swore I said $1K less not $4K less
    AFM + MB are $6K right?
    I said $5K would be cool I thought. Right?
    Cold crab rangoon is better at 3 am when I'm in my underwear with the fridge door open.
    Tell me I'm wrong

WHy would it cost them $1000 less to make a High SPeed than Monster Bash?

Just doesn't make any sense.

You know they'd have to design/ build a new (larger and heavier) cabinet, right?

In addition, Lemme let ya in on a little secret: drop target banks on games like Centaur or the Stern classics or any other game cost more than ramps. Siren assemblies cost more than ramps. A mirrored backglass costs more than a ramp. 5 LED displays (a mix of numeric and alphanumeric) is gonna cost as much or more than a DMD-sized LCD screen in 2020. Also most mid 80s and on games like High Speed also have ramps.

Everybody always wants a "retro repro" for less money, but they don't want to explain where the savings are going to come from. A game isn't gonna magically cost less to produce and design simply because it's based on a 10-year older game, or has fewer ramps and more drop targets.

So the question you have to ask yourself isn't are you gonna be happy to $5k for a new High SPeed game, it's would you be happy to pay $6K (or realistically, more) for one.

Well would ya, punk?!

#27 3 years ago

OK dude

For fucks sake

OK

It should cost $10K

Plus shipping

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

From what I've heard, Hercules wasn't even a 'good one' in 1979.
    -Hans

I played one up in the cities, and apart from the novelty, it wasn't much fun to play at all. The skee-ball pinballs were ridiculous and it's crazy huge, but it wasn't very fun to flip whatsoever.

#29 3 years ago

Since I already found a nice Radical!, there is no way in hell they should remake that 1990 gem even if they only made a little over 1300 units and the price for a good one is steadily on the rise.

The way I see it, what collectors of the pinside top 20 list don't know, won't hurt them.

And IMO, this is a top System 11 game. For me, the top.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There would be a market for
    The top system 11 titles...banzai, wwind, Elvira....the question of course is why bother with those when there’s still plenty of WPC games?
    The answer is there’s no good reason to do it.

There is a market, but too few people will pay 5-6k for a new eatpm when a nice original can be had for less than 4. Same with the others. If there were more Banzai Runs it wouldn't be worth what it is. Part of its value is based on its rarity.

#31 3 years ago

Id rather buy a project and speed alot less and have the same thing. Majority of the parts are being remade plus you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Fathom & Centuar would be so tit
    CGC, make it so

These are the only two right now that could be done with a lower boom and sell enough in volume at $5k to do right now.

#33 3 years ago

I keep checking this thread to see if Levi wants to bicker. I need to get out more lol

Come back Levi. Come back.

So Fathom @ $4999 right guys?

#34 3 years ago

We know one in particular Punchy The Clown.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I keep checking this thread to see if Levi wants to bicker. I need to get out more lol
    Come back Levi. Come back.
    So Fathom @ $4999 right guys?

Fathom has more BOM than AFM. So it will be 7k. Still in?

#36 3 years ago

$4999 for a game these days is gonna get you Thunder birds period. Good ole days are over

#37 3 years ago

Thunderbirds...

That's the worst thing anyone has ever said to me on Pinside.

Lol

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Fathom has more BOM than AFM. So it will be 7k. Still in?

You must be mistaken. Afm has 2.5 ramps and we all know that costs way more than 4 giant drop target banks.

Nothing in the world costs more than ramps. Whole nations have gone broke trying to procure chintzy plastic pinball Ramps.

My gift to the OP.

#39 3 years ago
    Screenshot_20200730-181935 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200730-181935 (resized).jpg
    #40 3 years ago
    Quoted from kidchrisso:

$4999 for a game these days is gonna get you Thunder birds period. Good ole days are over

If Thunderbirds can be sold for $4999 then a considerably simpler pin like Fathom could be made at the same price point... or less.

And I would imagine the IP cost would be cheaper since you are not licensing some TV show.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

If Thunderbirds can be sold for $4999 then a considerably simpler pin like Fathom could be made at the same price point... or less.

Same quality ? As good as Thunderbirds ?

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

And I would imagine the IP cost would be cheaper since you are not licensing some TV show.

I think you are missing the point here.

That game is made out of mostly plastic and balsa wood, and nobody bought it. Maybe you should give it a whirl though it's currently going for about $83 at Big Lots and it's way more awesome and complicated than Fathom.

It's got ramps!!

The inline target bank in Fathom has a higher bill of materials than the entire thunderbirds playfield. And cabinet. And design budget. And license.

Calling it the Yugo of pinball machines insults the Yugo, and in fact all of Eastern Europe. And you don’t want to insult those guys.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

If Thunderbirds can be sold for $4999 then a considerably simpler pin like Fathom.....

Whaaaaa?

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The inline target bank in Fathom has a higher bill of materials than the entire thunderbirds playfield.

And just in case it doesn't, both of them for sure do.
    Or the other 3 bank...and 6 bank etc etc

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

What on earth are you talking about? Please explain why you think it would cost less to remake a fathom than thunderbirds?

The drop target banks alone would be more Th an thunderbirds. Haha

And nobody in todays market is paying 4999 for a thunderbirds.

#45 3 years ago

Thunderbirds might suck

But at least the playfields don't blister

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Thunderbirds might suck

I hope not. They made 5 of them. Pretty easy to QC those massive production numbers.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Thunderbirds might suck

Really shows you how insignificant playfield blistering is. Nobody actually cares about that stuff they just thing they do.

#48 3 years ago

Fun thoughts, but don’t start suggesting CGC go mono target vs drops to remake these classics!!!

#49 3 years ago

Wasn't the recent Star Wars home model well received? Seems it was around that price point. Do the older titles but downsize,

#50 3 years ago

So....how much for a new Haunted House or Black Hole....asking for a friend.

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-classics-of-the-80s/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.