13%

(204 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FEA69CBF-496C-4804-90A1-5EF4BF1DFC44 (resized).png
crop_large_Vitae-frontprofessor-is-in-poppins (resized).jpg
25ED9065-255F-4D28-902D-98027AEE711F (resized).jpeg
Who's Coming With Me.gif

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

Well folks, if one listens to the ground and prognosticates on what is coming from CGC for their next title, I would like to propose a revolt, a protest, if you will, to let CGC know just exactly how disappointed us CGC supporters and owners are at hearing Cactus Canyon is the next title from them.

In that vein, I have started this “me as well” thread to gauge what people really think about:

A. Does Cactus Canyon actually rise to the top of the remake pile due to it being a great title?
B. Was it really that much fun?
C. Is any other title on the list more worthy of a remake?
D. Would you buy one, why or why not?

From my experience as a person who has played way more CC than most, except maybe those who own one, I have to ask, what do people see in this title that makes them crave owning one? Is it the theme? Yo, boy, howdy cowboy? Or is it the rarity and the fact most have never flipped one in the wild? Of all the remakes done so far, I agreed with every choice up to this one. This is the worst 90’s B/W pin from the standpoint of depth, code completion, and it even spawned CCC, arguably the best code rewrite (and most extensive) of a B/W 90’s pin AND for a good reason... the original code is shallow, unfinished and pretty repetitive and boring. Why would anyone want to buy that?

For my money, of which CGC has the lions share of my $8000 for my MBrLE, ANY other title on their list would be more lucrative than this one. I would gladly drop another $8000 on TOM, TOTAN, BBB, TAF, FH, TZ, hell, any other pin than CC.

Who’s with me on this? Can I get a few “I’m with ya, Bublehead” and let CGC know just how much CC does not fit the remake paridigm and that sales of the title are going to be way colder than any other title they have done to date? I hate to say this guys, but if you have put your next egg in the CC basket, things are not going to go well in my opinion.

#2 4 years ago

CC is as deep as Monster Bash. I've played both hundreds of times over the years.
Its a fun game, somewhat witty, there are some fun toys and it handles the theme well.
I like it, bring it on CGC!

#3 4 years ago

You should enjoy your mbrle and spend less time writing novels and worrying about CGC
I've had both CC and CCC. Both are fun to play and yes, CCC has a lot more depth. How do you know what code will be on the game and extras it will have. So sorry, not with you.

#4 4 years ago

Protest with your wallet, not with long boring diatribes nobody is going to read.

#5 4 years ago
Who's Coming With Me.gifWho's Coming With Me.gif
#6 4 years ago

Given enough time, all of the games you list will be done. I know several people who are excited at the prospect of CCr. Aside from BBB, which one on that list has a higher price (and thus harder to obtain) than CC? CCr it is? Great, get them out in the wild so more people can play them.

#7 4 years ago

I think it's a perfect title to remake bc it's priced too high for many and this will allow more to play it. Isn't that one of the best things about these remakes? I'm not following....

I also think it's a fun game

#8 4 years ago

Was this announced or still speculation?

#9 4 years ago

Lock is lit, and this protest isn't

#10 4 years ago

You could at least make your poll agnostic.

#11 4 years ago

I hope the remakes come with numbered plastic plates that are not the same number as the machine

#12 4 years ago

I dont really care for CC that much, and yes I’ve put a lot of mileage on a real one. That said, I will vote with my wallet and shut up about it! Lol

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Protest with your wallet, not with long boring diatribes nobody is going to read.

Rofl

#14 4 years ago

Years ago, we took a family road trip out to St. Louis, MO. We stayed in a Holiday Inn, and in the activity room there were 2 pinball machines: A Cactus Canyon and a Hurricane sitting side by side. I remember playing the Cactus Canyon to death. I thought it was the coolest game at the time with the train toy, the gun fight drop targets, and I love(d) the music and humor. Just an all around cool package. Time marched on, and I always looked for the game again in arcades to play. Never found one. It wasn't until I started collecting that I realized how rare and prized the game was. So, if CGC wants to remake a rare gem that few people have ever played, then so be it! I'd love to own one someday. I wish them luck!

#15 4 years ago

Off topic - Robin needs to invoke a word limit on all posts. I take surveys and see that sometimes and the tracker ticks down as you type. A few need it on here. Beyond 4 lines I am skipping it.

On topic - I played CC at VFW show and really liked it a lot. Still hoping for BBBr but I will consider CCr.

#16 4 years ago

What were you expecting?

CC makes sense. It’s the most similar big $$ game to what they’ve already done, which is a WPC95 game.

Addams, TZ won’t happen because of licensing. TZ is also a widebody.

TOM and FH are older board sets and cabinet designs and are less expensive titles.

I’m sure BBB has a whole set of challenges not even being a Williams game.

CV and TOTAN actually feel like very real possibilities, although CV does have some cab/backbox challenges because of the display placement... they’d need to get clever to use the display they use now and no wide option for the non classic versions.

So hey, maybe TOTAN?

#17 4 years ago

More remakes the better! Bring em on!!!

Will wait patiently for BBB.

#18 4 years ago

Slightly OT but anyone else remember playing Cactus Canyon when it was new back in 1999 at the old Nathan's arcade on Central Ave in Yonkers?

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

CC is as deep as Monster Bash. I've played both hundreds of times over the years.
Its a fun game, somewhat witty, there are some fun toys and it handles the theme well.
I like it, bring it on CGC!

Couldn’t agree more. We’ve had CC for years and it’s outlasted many, many other games in the collection, including Monster Bash - which I honestly don’t think is half as fun to play.

#20 4 years ago

CC is super fun, charming, and has a lot of innovative features. They only made 900 or so, so those who want one can't easily get one. That's kinda been the point of remakes so far...cool games that are hard to find/too expensive.

Don't like it, don't buy it and pretend it doesn't exist. How does it affect your life if people who want one buy one? Do you see every movie that comes out? Of course not...watch what you want, ignore the others. Not everything has to exist FOR YOU.

#21 4 years ago

CC? No! CCC? Hell yes!!! It's an awesome game, but if you have to protest you can protest the rumor that the game is going to have CC code and not CCC which is a damn shame if it turns out to be true.

#22 4 years ago

#23 4 years ago

"I don't like this game"

the thread

#24 4 years ago

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Addams won’t happen because of licensing.

For years and years people said that about the playfields. Nowadays you can buy just about every single part for it.

#26 4 years ago

What !? Cc !? I thought there was a whole other thread about cgc remaking alien ?? They lied !

#27 4 years ago

Protest all you like... boo hoo.

I'm in. CC is a beautiful game.

#29 4 years ago

fun title, originals are overpriced, and if they fix up the software I think CC is the perfect candidate. I would rather have CC than TOM or TOTAN or TZ. The only other remakes I would want more is IJ and TAF.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

The only thing that was announced was that #4 was further out than #5. I speculate that #4 is CC and rumors have it that there is a team on it.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Not officially announced by CGC, but epthegeek said it is the next pin. He is the creator of cactus canyon continued and confirmed that the remake will NOT be using the CCC code that he created. He did say he was contacted by CGC and never had any further discussion. So either the game will be released with the original Bally/Williams code or possibly slightly updated by a new coder/programmer.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

For years and years people said that about the playfields. Nowadays you can buy just about every single part for it.

Hey, I’d love to see it happen, it just seems like a real long shot.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Not officially announced by CGC, but epthegeek said it is the next pin. He is the creator of cactus canyon continued and confirmed that the remake will NOT be using the CCC code that he created. He did say he was contacted by CGC and never had any further discussion. So either the game will be released with the original Bally/Williams code or possibly slightly updated by a new coder/programmer.

not sure why they would not just use epthegeek's code. Already done and tested and loved by the people who have played it.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

not sure why they would not just use epthegeek's code. Already done and tested and loved by the people who have played it.

http://poormanspinballpodcast.libsyn.com/episode-10-with-special-guest-eric-priepke-epthegeek

Edit: some of the assets he used are technically not his. He used parts from different Williams/Bally pins in continued code. I’m sure it would be licensing issues with officially releasing the code and royalties involved. You’d have to ask epthegeek for official clarification

#35 4 years ago

if they don't release it with the updated code, it will be a huge disappointment. Yes I know there are purists out there but to those people who want it to be as original as possible with new code, I respect your opinion but you're wrong and illogical.

MBR with new code was a stretch b/c who knew what that would be and how it would impact it but when a game already has updated code and it's an agreed upon hit and you don't release the remake with it, that's just dumb.

EDIT - COZ, if that's correct, then I understand why they didn't. Makes sense if so.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

He used code from different Williams/Bally

Slight correction: I used assets from other WMS games for Tribute Mode. Images and Audio. All the code is made from scratch.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Slight correction: I used assets from other WMS games for Tribute Mode. Images and Audio. All the code is made from scratch.

That’s cool. I definitely don’t want to speak for you. Thank you for the clarification. Your work on CCC is awesome. It’s a shame something couldn’t be worked out to allow the continued code.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I don't understand why they are not using it, there is one here local in Nashville I get to play and love the continued software. Even if assets got used from WMS games Rick owns the rights to that stuff, so he could easily give his blessing to allow it.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

You have my deepest respects for doing something I have always wanted to find the time to do. Back 20 years ago I had plenty of time to code Visual Pinball recreations, but that had no overhead costs at the time. But P-rocking a machine and completely rewriting the code is as hard core as it gets, and of all the machines that needed an overhaul, CC was definitely the one that deserved it. A CGC remake with the old code is a non-starter in my book, thus this thread. When they eventually release CCr, I hope it gets a facelift at least half as good as yours.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Rick owns the rights to that stuff, so he could easily give his blessing to allow it.

It's complicated to say the least.... That said, hope CGC allows for both original and enhanced versions. They should also go back with the original idea of the translucent gunfighters and saloon doors. Some extra video modes would also be nice!

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from hockeymag8:

Off topic - Robin needs to invoke a word limit on all posts. I take surveys and see that sometimes and the tracker ticks down as you type. A few need it on here. Beyond 4 lines I am skipping it.

Sounds like a personal problem with your attention span, not with Pinside.

#42 4 years ago

Could CGC upgrade and change the original CC code instead of using the CCC code? That could be cool.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Could CGC upgrade and change the original CC code instead of using the CCC code?

Word on the street is they started over on the CC code. Hence the delay...

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Word on the street is they started over on the CC code. Hence the delay...

Ah...in their defense didn’t I hear something about the original CC code being rushed and possibly not finished as wanted. A rushed job so they could move onto the system 2000? Not 100% on this but someone here will know.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Word on the street

It needs to be more than word on the street to start gaining buzz and traction, especially with the MBrLE delays, there are a lot of people who would be more enthused about CGC #4 if we had ANY indication it is really going to be CC and that it will have updated code. As it sits, there are a bunch on here who want it with the old code. This seems Pinside counter-intuitive to me. All people do on here is bitch about incomplete code, yet here is a perfect example of a machine that needs a code update, has actually had one done privately, and yet people are lining up to buy one, no update required. Go figure.

#46 4 years ago

I'd wait until CGC makes the announcement. So it's official, and what it is. Until then, only speculation on what will really be next. Still enough time to change their plans to something else.

And so far, they haven't disappointed. Each game they have made seems better than the one before it.

And while someone's favorite game might not come up. What ever it is. Will be great. Will sell. I can only hope the game you like, comes along someday.

LTG : )

#47 4 years ago

It's hard to answer the question since it is going to entirely depend upon the code used.

#48 4 years ago

I could give a shit about an upgraded code on this game, it's just a badass theme with great artwork. Build it now!

#49 4 years ago

All i want in the CCR is the Bionic Bart/Boss Bart modes and Cowboys VS Aliens no doubt

#50 4 years ago

Love CC, i hope it's next, i'll be in

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
16,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bullhead City, AZ
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1,139.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 49.99
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-4-protest-thread?hl=farfromheaven26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.