Topic poll

“Remake or Original?”

• Shiny Remake 21 votes
    60%
  • Well-Loved Original 14 votes
    40%

(35 votes)

#1 5 years ago

Sorry if this topic, or one like it, has already been posted.

Background: My favorite game of all time is TOTAN and I'm lucky enough to own one. It's a player's condition game with faded cabinet art and a little bit of playfield wear but it's the pride of my collection. I've often said that it will never leave my home until it's completely dead, in which case it will be replaced by another TOTAN in even better condition.

I believe that Chicago Gaming will eventually get around to a remake (probably not next or the one after that, but eventually it will happen), so I've asked myself well in advance: when CG comes out with TOTANr, would I sell my beloved machine to buy a flashy new one?

My questions to MMr, AFMr and MBr owners:

1. Practical questions: How's the quality? Have you had any issues with mechanics, parts, functionality, or quality of materials? Does CG clearcoat their games better than Williams did? I've played original and remake versions of all three released titles in the wild, but how does it hold up in the long run?

2. How are you finding CG's support? If I have a technical issue (say, a problem with the board) how difficult is it to fix? Are they making replacement parts? Do they publish manuals? If there's quality control problem, what's my recourse?

3. Philosophical questions: CG likes to add really cool bells and whistles to the Limited Editions (giant color screens, special lighting effects, custom mods, premium speakers, etc.) and they are gorgeous, but does it ever concern you that you're not getting the "original" experience that the Williams designers intended?

[Full disclosure: My TOTAN has mods including a ColorDMD and full LED's - certainly not what the designers originally intended. But it sure has been fun doting on and dressing up my favorite machine.]

4. Is there more caché in playing an original Williams (with all its history and reputation) vs. playing a reproduction by a newer, smaller company? Is there more caché in playing on original WMS95 technology vs. on the cutting-edge single-board design?

I'm curious to hear reports and opinions. Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

CGC has always had a "classic" edition of each the remakes, so you can get the most "original" copy. I say "most" because the tech is different and the DMD dots are emulated using an LCD but the DMD color unlocking chip can be left out to be original looking. Some say the flippers feel different from the original MM but I never played a NIB MM. The MMR and MBR does not have a Williams labelled speaker panel, Bally remakes do, like AFMR.

I have MMR, from back when Stern was assembling them. It is as rock solid as I could ever expect, but I've had to file down the side rails (they were delivered knife edge sharp), and put in my own coin mechs, back then (early production Stern made ones) the coin mechs were left out (not so the later CGC made ones). I installed the full range of cliffys and flipper button cab protectors and plastic protectors from Pinbits and installed a shaker motor as that was not standard on the non-LE. MMR had only 2 editions, now with AFMR and MBR there are 3 editions. Not many issues at all, except problems caused by the shaker. Had to put anti-rattle tape on the glass edges, and the left flipper solenoid bracket screws worked loose and the flipper bat was not functioning but that was a quick fix to find the screws in the cab and tighten it all back up. I put some mods on my machine too, a custom LED strip at the back of the playfield tied to the flashers in blue for a "lightning affect", the Merlin hole green LED light and Chroma colored lock nuts I got from Mezel Mods. I had to replace one post stud that was used for the damsel ramp as it broke when I was screwing the ramp lock nut in. I had to replace a troll head as there is a design issue from MM days, the head has 2 screw holes and the bottom hole is very close to the bottom edge of the troll and that margin of material is thin and breaks from ball hits.

Pinside is the best resource for tech questions for the CGC remakes as there are a lot of Pinsiders with experience with these machines remakes and originals. A hardcopy manual is delivered with the machine. Check out the long and winding MMR Pinside threads.

My MMR has been a blast, kept on top of the work that I had to do and had/having lots of fun with it.

#3 5 years ago

They do a beautiful Job on there games

I had a AFM restored cream puff and now
a AFMLE and love it

Just sold my original MB and have s MBRLE coming, I Pinball’s to play !

Hoping next game is BBBR ! Color screen
LEDs , topper ! Bring it

#4 5 years ago

Life's to short and pins come and go ...plus who knows when or if it will be remade. I say buy now and enjoy .

#5 5 years ago

The playfields on the remakes are made of softer wood and the clear coat chemical make up is different than the originals. Therefore, the PFs are more prone to dimpling. (they dimple/rib faster and deeper then the original PFs) This has called the PF quality into question in some threads. The other concern is the boards. They employ SMD (Surface Mount Devise) technology. SMD technology can be less serviceable with any failure that causes the board traces to be damaged. Components are more difficult to change and require special tools and skills. Because of this the boards IMHO are more of a throw away and replace then repair. (There are those that will disagree on this). Do the remakes play and feel like the originals? My experience: Yes That being said, in all honesty identical original games can play and feel different. I think the remake games are great for what they are. They are fantastic on location! They also give everyone a chance to own a copy of a great classic game.

#6 5 years ago

I have seen no more or less dimpling on remakes than the classics.

#7 5 years ago

MMr is one our most popular machines in our pizzeria. Never had a single issue. It plays great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 119.99
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cg-vs-player-s-condition-original and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.