Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

imagejpeg_3-286.jpg
imagejpeg_0_4.jpg
imagejpeg_3.jpg
imagejpeg_2.jpg
imagejpeg_1.jpg

#1 9 years ago

I have an opportunity to purchase a CFTBL and dont know a lot about the game.I do know to make sure hologram and motors are working.Is there any other things to look at beside the normal stuff?Any common wear spots or stuff like that?
Ive played it before and enjoyed it but only had about 6 or 8 games on it.
Any other advice or thoughts are appreciated.

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

I have an opportunity to purchase a CFTBL and dont know a lot about the game.I do know to make sure hologram and motors are working.Is there any other things to look at beside the normal stuff?Any common wear spots or stuff like that?
Ive played it before and enjoyed it but only had about 6 or 8 games on it.
Any other advice or thoughts are appreciated.

Not an expert on this table but wear at the snack bar and the film inserts but those are easily to identify

#3 9 years ago

Great game, grab it!! I'd just look at the usual stuff with any pinball. With this game almost everything that could be broken is available. New hologram is crazy expensive, but game still plays great if it's green or blue.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from hawkeye11:

Great game, grab it!! I'd just look at the usual stuff with any pinball. With this game almost everything that could be broken is available. New hologram is crazy expensive, but game still plays great if it's green or blue.

So the hologram will start to go to a blueish color if its getting ready to go out?

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

So the hologram will start to go to a blueish color if its getting ready to go out?

Yep. New they were green, eventually they all go blue.

#6 9 years ago

great game even without the hologram, I got a collectors translucent green creature figure and rigged him up underneath with a green led flasher and sweet.

usual wear is the snackbar hole but you can put a cliffy over that, film inserts, and the 20 million insert under the left ramp to return lane.

plastics, ramps are available as are cabinet decals - great pin - go for it.

#7 9 years ago

^^^What he said^^^^

Pinball Mike D makes an outstanding mod to replace the hologram. Swinks also has a pretty cool snack bar mod. If the price is right go for it most of the parts are available.

#8 9 years ago

Make sure the chase-light pcb's are on the ramps (seen quite some posts searching for those ..)

#9 9 years ago

Thanks for the info.The guy got called into work so it's set up for tomorrow morning now.
We will see what happens but I hope to get it.

#10 9 years ago

Keep it for a while and then sell it me when you're done with it. It's a great game and I've been looking for one for a while now. Good luck with it

#11 9 years ago

So I went and looked at the pin.I was told it was working.When he turned it on it had 4 switch errors,right flipper didn't work,1 jet sol. didn't work,sol. to lift ramp didn't work,hologram had a blueish tint to it,and when I went to do a flasher + lamp test it shut down the whole machine except the boards still had the leds lit on them.
It was dirty and in need of a major cleaning,rubbers,lamps...etc.
The cab was nice though,no fade,in pretty good shape.
Here's a few pics,not good ones though.
I didn't buy the machine yet.
What would I expect to pay in this condition...just ageneral price.imagejpeg_3.jpgimagejpeg_3.jpgimagejpeg_0_4.jpgimagejpeg_0_4.jpgimagejpeg_3.jpgimagejpeg_3.jpgimagejpeg_2.jpgimagejpeg_2.jpgimagejpeg_1.jpgimagejpeg_1.jpgr

#12 9 years ago

Also forgot a little more info.
Minor wear around snack bar,no cracked ramps or plastics

#13 9 years ago

it looks good, and if you know your way around the game it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

if anything definitely warrants some bargaining as it could be a small fix or a big fix (like a board repair) so maybe market value less board fix and if the problems are smaller that is your bonus. Also allow a little for the cleaning but that is pretty standard on a game purchase and good way to learn the machine inside and out.

sorry can't help with the price recommendation - need a US guy to recommend that.

#14 9 years ago

I dont mind the repairs and cleaning.He was at 3400.00 in this condition which seems high to me with the issues.Am I wrong?
Any opinions welcome.

#15 9 years ago

For $3400 I'd already have it in my truck.

#16 9 years ago

The front of the cabinet is faded (the reds). You mentioned quite a few issues, and the shutting down may be a short or board issue (bridge rectifier). Considering the problems - IMO $3K.

#17 9 years ago

$3400 is too high to me too. 2500-3k to buffer the issues you didn't notice yet. But it looks like a nice machine once you get issues ironed out.

#18 9 years ago

I was thinking around 2800 or 2900 to offset some of the repairs.
I'll see what I can do.
Thanks.

#19 9 years ago

yep, I agree with the quotes of $3K being the top value that you want to pay for it. most of the items sound like they should be easily fixable.

the lamp + flasher test shutting down the entire machine is the one that I would be most concerned with, but could be an old fuse on it's way out, idc connectors needing to be re-seated or a new connector.

another thing to check for is any dark or black marks on any of the idc connectors. where ever you have "burn" marks, current is being impeded. those connectors and the wiring should be looked at.

additionally, if the owner will let you, have him disconnect and remove the dmd display board and inspect it to see just how crispy it is on the back side (high voltage section, which is the lower, center section). those 3 cement resistors get awfully hot and can do a lot of damage to the board in that area over time (especially games that were routed for a long period of time and left on 24/7 or most of the day)

#20 9 years ago

Thanks JM,I'll take a look at that also when I go back and make an offer.

#21 9 years ago

Well, unfortunately the seller would not come down on his price,even with the various issues.

#22 9 years ago

I bought mine for $3800 but it was in excellent shape, recently shopped, leds, green hologram etc. If you can get it for $2800 -3k I would do it. Vids I'm somewhat good at but pins I haven't tackled yet so I would pay what I suggested and have a professional go through it and shop it out...add leds etc.

#23 9 years ago

He's stuck on 3400.00.That's too high for all the issues it has and it needs a complete shop job.
I passed on it.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

He's stuck on 3400.00.That's too high for all the issues it has and it needs a complete shop job.
I passed on it.

I don't think his price is all that out of line. I would try to get it for a couple of hundred less though.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

I passed on it.

Are you able to shop it out yourself or do you send it out? I agree with Don44, I don't think that price is so bad. I think those pins go for between $4500 and $5500 in great shape.

#26 9 years ago

I would jump on $3400

#27 9 years ago

3400 sounds fair to me. The list of "problems" it has are not bad or hard fixes at all...general WPC stuff. What would it be worth to you if those repairs were made? Couple hours of work and that game goes up in value pretty quick. Seems like a good deal to me...

#28 9 years ago

If you are looking for a CFTBL you might want to grab it. The price is not bad and the problems don't seem to be super tough to figure out. The pic look pretty good to me.

#29 9 years ago

Let me know where that machine is and I will go pick it up, I am not that far from St. Louis..

#30 9 years ago

Your gonna kick yourself later the time to buy is when your there.a little work and your gonna be happy they aren't all over for that price anymore go back and pay the piper lol I would try to negotiate couple hundred off but if he doesn't bite just pay it or someone else will!!!

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

Let me know where that machine is and I will go pick it up, I am not that far from St. Louis..

See lol

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms
Other
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Williamston, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Falls Church, VA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 11.95
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Boards
PinSound
Boards
€ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftblthoughts-and-what-to-look-for-before-purchase and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.