“CFTBL vs The Shadow vs Road Show vs Indianapolis 500”

• Creature from the Black Lagoon 42 votes
    34%
  • Shadow, The 61 votes
    50%
  • Road Show 19 votes
    16%

(122 votes)

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Hello,
One and only collection, all of them at almost the same price ($1800-2000) and in good shape, which one should i get?

CFTBL no hologram, but good condition overall.
Road Show all complete.
The Shadow no slingshots plastics, also good condition overall.
Indianapolis 500

I would like to know your opinions please
Regards

#2 9 years ago

Creature typically costs more than the others. It's also my favorite game, so...

#3 9 years ago

The shadow, all day, every day.

Also, tell me where these titles still go for that price!

#4 9 years ago

Creech, and if you pass on Creech and its in the midwest, let me know. Really can't go wrong with those pins at 2k.

#5 9 years ago

Shadow.

(look under playfield at the divertor assemblies. Make sure the metal brackets look good)

#6 9 years ago

Creech is one of my favorite games. A lot of people really like Shadow, though.

If you like mode based games with flowing shots, get Shadow. If you like System11-style games that are stop/go, get a Creech.

Creech has the better art, but Aurich's custom art package really helps Shaowd a lot.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Creech has the better art, but Aurich's custom art package really helps Shaowd a lot.

To be fair, The Shadow has great playfield and cab art. It'd the translate and speaker panel that people dislike. Ant the art on that is great as well, it's the subject matter that is kinda cringe worthy.

#8 9 years ago

For those prices you should snatch up all three

#9 9 years ago

CFTBL! Even if you find you do not like it you could easily trade it for either of the other 2. It has much better trade potential and a great game. Pass the other deals on to some pinsiders.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

To be fair, The Shadow has great playfield and cab art. It'd the translate and speaker panel that people dislike. Ant the art on that is great as well, it's the subject matter that is kinda cringe worthy.

Great? That may be, but it's not as good generally understood to be as good as Creature. That was my only point.

#11 9 years ago

CFTBL, Roadshow, Shadow in that order if it were me.

#12 9 years ago

He's not on the West Coast. Everyone out here thinks their pins are made of Gold. I wouldn't count out RoadShow. Great game with lots to do. The only drawback to RS is its linear and can get boring seeing pretty much the same animations on the dmd in the same order over and over. Awesome fun gameplay though.

#13 9 years ago

Pool Added, but i still appreciate all the opinions

CFTBL with no hologram, still that good?!
Because im going to have only one, im trying to pick a game not very shallow...

#14 9 years ago

CFTBL is the best deal as it generally fetches much more than TS and RS. The Shadow is by far the best player and the one I'd recommend if you're only after a good game and not looking to flip the games and make money. Road Show has plenty going on, but has a terrible theme and I found it obnoxious after a month or so. CFTBL is a gorgeous game all around but a 1 trick pony. It's a game you buy when you have a larger collection and want something pretty to look at, not something that is all that great to play. Shadow has a unique layout and great rules, sounds, dots and everything. It is definitely my pick of the 3

#15 9 years ago

Honestly if you want to avoid a shallow game go for Shadow. I have TS and CFTBL in my small collection and really like both.

Hologram can be upgraded with that LCD mod if you really wanted to. I'm not sure how Creature would hold up in a 1-pin collection. It's a beauty to look at though.

#16 9 years ago

You break!

#17 9 years ago

Shadow or CFTBL. They both blow RS out of the water, and both are generally worth much more than the prices you listed.

Honestly, get all 3, sell the ones you dont want.

#18 9 years ago

with only 1, RS is the clear choice and will give you something to shoot for.

For the $$$, Creech is the best bargin at that price point.

#19 9 years ago

Shadow is a very good game but Creature is simply fabulous. But at that price point you should buy both even if you have to take out a loan to do so.

#20 9 years ago

Buy the Creech......flip it and buy both the Shadow and RS.

Those really are fantastic prices on all though. If you can find any way to swing it and they really are in great shape (condition is everything) then you could really come out ahead here.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Pool Added, but i still appreciate all the opinions
CFTBL with no hologram, still that good?!
Because im going to have only one, im trying to pick a game not very shallow...

Doesn't affect gameplay. You can throw down a lot of coin for a replacement or get the mod. Shadow probably has lasting playability but CFTBL is pretty fun.

#22 9 years ago

CFTBL was my first game with the original intentions of only having one game.. oh on a side note, dont fool yourself saying you are going to only have one.. I said that a year or so ago and I am about to have 5.

But back to CFTBL, It will get old pretty quick if that is all you are playing. But if it cleans well and you get a nice Holo you can sell it for 5k. I would suggest Shadow, I am on my second one already and its just a great all around game.

I can't stand RS so I wont trash talk it.

#23 9 years ago

Everyone has their favorite games. Yours might not match theirs. Since you're talking about only having one game though I would really think hard about what's going to provide the best longevity.

I would personally recommend The Shadow. It was my first title, and was the only pin I had for a while before I started to build up a collection. I still have it, and it's not going anywhere. So I can tell you that as a "one game collection" it holds up very well.

And the reason for that is it's a hard game, you won't master it and get bored of it fast, and it has multiple ways to approach and play it, something CFTBL and Road Show don't really have. Those are titles that are better added when you have more games, and can rotate what you're playing.

Just my opinion of course!

#24 9 years ago

Depends on what you are looking for.

The Shadow is a player's game. Fast, furious, drainy if you aren't very good.

Road Show is probably the best of the bunch when it comes to the amount of things to do. Crazy amount of modes and loads of subtleties to each mode.

CFTBL is the shallowest of the bunch if you ask me. Great game, but it would be on the bottom of the list for me. It can be really fast though.

#25 9 years ago

In terms of overall playability, CFTBL will give you longer game times and more to do. RS IMHO isn't very much fun. I have spent a lot of time on that pin and could never find the flow you will experience with both TS and CFTBL.

I own a Shadow and love it, nothing matchs the flow IMO, but for the bang for the buck, you can't go wrong with a $2000 CFTBL.

#26 9 years ago

Creature was my first game and the only pin I had for over a year. I still have it and it's not going anywhere. It held up just fine as a "one game collection" for me. I like The Shadow (and Getaway, among others) a lot - just not enough to bump any of the games in my pinball room. (If you happen to look at my games list note that X-Files and Baywatch and Barb Wire aren't even in the room.)

#27 9 years ago

Had RoadShow and it is an amazing game. I miss it dearly. The shaker motor integration is unmatched. Currently own shadow and it consistently kicks my ass. I love it and hate it at the same time. It is such an immersive game. Never owned CFTBL but have played it on route and at my buddies house and I find it to be so dull. It is so shallow. It reminds me of a system 11 game with a DMD. Wash rinse repeat.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

with only 1, RS is the clear choice and will give you something to shoot for.
For the $$$, Creech is the best bargin at that price point.

This.

I think RS is the most fun of the bunch, but at the prices mentioned, CFTBL is the best deal.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

It reminds me of a system 11 game

Best selling point I have heard yet. Now I am interested in a CFTBL.

#31 9 years ago

Don't underestimate RoadShow by any means, it really is a great game with so much going on, I regret letting mine go, but I sold it to a friend so its not all bad, but with all the titles mentioned you cant really go wrong..

#32 9 years ago

I bought a well used creature with the intention of flipping it, but currently it is my only playable game (Congo being shopped) and not bored after a couple of years - cool sounds, great art and just fun to play. Had a few games come and go but the CFTBL still remains and not going anywhere. Wasn't a fan of Roadshow and in all honesty haven't played a Shadow.

#33 9 years ago

I really like the CFTBL, but im afraid in a one and only collection gets tired to fast... RS i like the game, but the theme... i think is not that great.... TS also like it, but never played one... thanks for all the advices

#34 9 years ago

I own all 3, Shadow would be my choice for a small collection, it simply has the most varied gameplay and will keep your interest longer.

#35 9 years ago

One more data point from me...

I've owned 40 machines. Shadow stayed the least amount of time.

#36 9 years ago

Honestly you can't go wrong with any of those titles. The newness will wear off with any of them and you'll be looking for more.

#37 9 years ago

I only have one pinball machine for over 8 years now CFTBL and I still enjoy it as much as the first time I played it. I am sure the other two are great machines also.

#38 9 years ago

Another pin to the dance.
An Indianapolis 500 ($2000) makes diference!? The Shadow still winning this pool. Sorry again

#39 9 years ago

Well if you decide on anything other than Shadow, I'd like the lead please!

#40 9 years ago

You have to by CFTBL at that price. You'd be crazy not to. It's a fantastic game and you could make a healthy profit if you decide to sell it down the road. I'd personally buy all three given the price points. It would also be great if you pass along the deal to a local pinsider for whichever machines you decide to pass on.

#41 9 years ago

buy all of these games at the prices you are being offered. you can easily get a pin for free out of this deal by selling off the others. you can even play and try them all out for a while before you cash in.

-c

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

An Indianapolis 500 ($2000) makes diference!?

Nice I500's are way harder to find than any of the other games you are considering. It's also a really fun pin. If the I500 is in nice shape, it's a steal at $2K.

#43 9 years ago

It is no suprise that Shadow is winning the poll, but I implore you to play all the possible games before making a decision. TS also changes hands pretty regularly so that should tell you something about the lastability.

RS is still the best selection for a 1 pin collection, but all that really matters is you play and THEN buy.

#44 9 years ago

I want to know how all the pins you find are $2k!

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

TS also changes hands pretty regularly so that should tell you something about the lastability.

Uh, what? I hunted for a long time to get mine, had to eventually ship it in from out of state because even though there are plenty in private collections in SoCal no one was willing to sell theirs.

I mean, buy whatever machine you want, I don't care. No skin off my nose if you love a different machine than me. But to try and claim that Shadow doesn't have lastability is just silly. So tamoore sold his fast, okay.

#46 9 years ago

I could be completely mistaken, but I think the OP is in South America, probably Argentina. I don't think pricing is the same there as it is in the US.

Those are all good games, and you really can't go wrong.

If I could add one of those games to my collection and they were all the same price, I'd take Creature just because they seem to always be too expensive otherwise. Around here, it would be easy to trade Creature for either of the other two, in the future.

I do think Creature and Shadow are both fun games. I enjoy Creature a little more at this point, but it's shallow. Shadow has grown on my quickly. I think Shadow would be the most fun to own long-term. Road Show has cool toys and the widebody is nice, but I've never really felt like I was accomplishing anything while playing it. I would gladly own that one so I could put serious time in on it, though.

I've never played Indy 500, but that's probably about as good a deal as Creature, and I usually hear good things about that one.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I want to know how all the pins you find are $2k!

Is at that range... a bit more a bit less... Something like that. Europe

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

TS also changes hands pretty regularly so that should tell you something about the lastability.

I think this has to do with the fact that it is the most difficult of the games listed. If you are a good player, this one will last the longest.

I definitely agree that you should play them all, if possible.

#49 9 years ago

How can i change the topic or add the Indi500 to the poll...!? I guess a lot of people is missing it because is not there...

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Who can i change the topic or add the Indi500 to the poll...!? I guess a lot of people is missing it because is not there...

Done

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 17.50
$ 27.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-vs-the-shadow-vs-road-show and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.