(Topic ID: 82470)

CFTBL vs GnR. which do you prefer and why?

By newtoit

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dothedoo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“GnR vs CFTBL”

• CFTBL 30 votes
    51%
  • GnR 29 votes
    49%

(59 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 5 years ago

Ive been on the fence about which to get. Have only payed GnR and I loved it but I have always wanted a Creature, mainly because of its looks and the ability to upgrade it. As far as I can tell they are about equal in price but very different in looks, sounds, and gameplay. Any advice on the prosmand cons of each, and what to look for when buying either one. Also a pricing estimate for original unmodded versions of each would be helpful.

#2 5 years ago

I have had them both and liked them a lot. My beautiful GNR lasted 4 months and Creature 6 months. GNR got a little old and I got an offer I could not refuse. I got an IJ with the money and pocked 1k also. My creature was rough and I traded it for NGG which was a mistake. I give the edge to Creature. I have never got a game back that I have sold (30) but I have thought about it with Creature. Good luck.

#3 5 years ago

I've had my GnR since 10/13 and it took me quite awhile to find it. GnR tends to have more of a rabid fan base. Almost 8,000 CFTBL's and only 3,000 GnR's, so it's not hard to see why GnR is harder to find.

I really like my GnR and never really had any interest in CFTBL, so I'd vote for GNR.

I do love PMD's CFTBL mod…might be a reason to own one in the future.

#4 5 years ago

Love Creech, it's a lot of fun. The art on it is pretty sweet. I agree the LCD mod on that is definitely something to think about. as far as price, condition is king, depending on the shape $3300-$3900.

#5 5 years ago

GNR, cause I just got one.

#6 5 years ago

Interesting choice. CFTBL looks great and has some nice shots, but I've never been able to get into it. At one point it was a high demand game, but it stagnated in price and demand a few years ago, so it's probably not difficult to find one at a decent price.

I enjoy GNR's art and game play much better, and as many say it's a bit tougher to find, rarer than MM... I've owned mine for so many years I've pondered selling it on more than one occasion simply for the purpose of rotation, but then I play it and decide to keep it a while longer

#7 5 years ago

enjoyed owning both games...GnR went away a couple years ago and Creech is still going strong. Great graphics...always love seeing the holo in all it's green glory...

#8 5 years ago

GNR has everything but the kitchen sink on it and it's a good game, but I think I prefer CFTBL in terms of game play.

#9 5 years ago

I've had both. GnR was my first pin and I still have it. I had a very nice Creech for awhile, but it didn't have staying power. It was fun and it has a great songs, but the quality of the actual recordings that they used is not good. The playfield is a little crowded, and It was pretty easy to play . GnR is a timeless classic, with a great layout that is not cookie cutter by any means. There is nothing about it that I don't like. It may be the perfect DMD pinball machine. It has just about every feature you could want, in just the right amounts.

#10 5 years ago

Gnr all the way. Creature looks good but I don't like the gameplay. Gnr looks cool and is lots of fun to play.

#11 5 years ago

CFTBL is a true classic and fun to play but GNR is more fun and has greater shots which I enjoy. Always see GNR priced high on here compared to Creature. I am curious for going rate on one as well. I enjoy the music and calls outs on GNR as it's not just all music and tunes mixed in great with game. 2 mutiball gets old on Creature and limited play field unlike GNR with multiple versions of 2 ball, 3 ball, and six ball multi ball versions to my memory. I always enjoy this game and wish ACDC had this many shots in it.

#12 5 years ago

GNR no contest

#13 5 years ago

Should add a poll- my vote would be GNR-

#15 5 years ago

GNR for gameplay. Fast and fun.

#16 5 years ago
#17 5 years ago

Creech has an awesome theme, great art and sounds, but the gameplay isn't up to the energy level created by GNR's.

GNR is not only a beautiful machine in its own right, but with great flow, lots of different scoring strategies, killer music, and just overall a premium pinball package that never gets old. In terms of a 90's pinball package, Creech falls flat compared to the magnet chaos and crazy multiball goodness found in GNR.

#18 5 years ago

Creature wins in my book as GNR is a bittersweet cross between a great guitarist and a big a-hole on a really cool pin,so it loses mass points on artwork where Creature holds it own.

#19 5 years ago

creature is pretty but gnr is by far the better player

#20 5 years ago

Not even a discussion IMO, CFTBL is a far better game, had a GNR, it was gone pretty quick.

#21 5 years ago

Put my vote down for creature if they're both the same price, GNR is good game but I think the music is horribly implemented in that game...compare it to Tommy and you'll see what I mean. And that drum solo pop bumper sound effect was driving me batty after 5 minutes, reminded me of the No fear skull laughing all the time.

#22 5 years ago

I love my creech. the one thing to consider is getting new or at the very least flame polishing the ramps when/if you choose it.

like others have stated, the playfield can look really crowded (especially when the ramps are cloudy or scratched up). having a set of crystal clear ramps on the game, really appears to open it up

#23 5 years ago

I own both... man that's a tough call for me. I'll need to sleep on it and get back to you when I wake up.

#24 5 years ago

They are both awesome games but hard to compare since they are so different. I used to own GnR but I sold it last year to buy an IJ. It's probably the best Data East game EVER and plays like a Williams game. The family loves the CFTBL so I doubt it's ever going anywhere. I personally don't think you could go wrong with either.

#25 5 years ago

Both are great games, but I find CFTBL to be the more satisfying one overall. I think that the Super Jackpot in CFTBL is one of the most awesome shots in pinball. It's not complicated to achieve, but it takes skill and a fun sequence of shots.

#26 5 years ago

They are both cool games. They are both quite fun. They cool artwork, music and sounds. They are both fairly interesting in terms of layout. GNR wins for three important reasons:

1) they put everything but the kitchen sink in GNR. So many cool features. A lot of bang for your buck.
2) seemingly more to do - deeper rules - on GNR. Might be wrong about that, as I just started playing mine
3) 6 ball Multiball versus 2 ball. Very big edge to. GNR here.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

2) seemingly more to do - deeper rules - on GNR. Might be wrong about that, as I just started playing mine

The rules on CFTBL are very shallow, you're right about that, but the game is geared more towards very deliberate shots to accomplish a small handful of goals rather than setting up stacks or progressing through a bunch of modes to a big end goal.

They're pretty hard to compare, honestly. They're very different in just about every comparable aspect. GnR might be the better standalone game and CFTBL might be the better "part of a collection" game.

#28 5 years ago

It seems pretty obvious that the opinions are pretty split down the middle. I would totally vote for CFTBL no contest, but I like GnR also. Note that CFTBL must be setup properly to have a certain level of difficulty, otherwise some shots may make the game seem easy as noted in some of the comments.

I think your best bet is to choose based on...

1) Which theme do you prefer
2) Which one you find a nicer example of within your price range

That way you should feel confident and happy with your choice, as they are both good games.

#29 5 years ago

CFTBL gets boring very fast and just not have as much cool stuff as GNR; CFTBL
has 1 mball that is all and GNR has like 4 or 5 different ones plus GNR has a wizard mode. I think CFTBL is a decent game but GNR is a KILLER GAME

#30 5 years ago

GNR all the way. Better music and better rules. CFTBL is very very shallow game with unbalanced scoring. it's always been a one trick pony if your playing for score.

#31 5 years ago

Here's some GNR footage to give you any idea of how the pin sounds/plays…

Pin has a lot "tude"

CFTBL is cool looking, but BORING...

#33 5 years ago

I'm not sure how difficult CFTBL is, but my one downfall for GnR is that it's a little too easy to get to the wizard mode if you're a decent player. I wanted one pretty bad until I had the opportunity to shop one out, it is undeniably one of the coolest games ever but I wish there were things in the programming/layout just slightly different (not starting on the same mode at the start of every game, not being to start a mode from the start of the game, harder to get to wizard mode, more than one shot from the upper left flipper).

#34 5 years ago

I don't know how your GNR was setup then because I had mine 5 years and made wizard mode once.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I don't know how your GNR was setup then because I had mine 5 years and made wizard mode once.

It's just 9 modes, one is an extra ball. So 3 balls + extra ball from mode + possible extra ball from mystery = 4 or 5 balls = 4 or 5 mode starts. So all you have to do is start 4 or 5 more modes to start riot. It's not that hard unless you want to make it hard by never selecting start mode ever. It's not a drain monster either like some games and it has a kickback. I think I made it to riot 4 times in 60 games, high score was like 4.2 billion I think (hard to remember 2 1/2 years ago), setup to factory specs.

#36 5 years ago

mine was a drain monster. I heard that michelle clip so much, I would sing it for any game I played where it drained on the right side. Plus that guitar feature shot was very tight on mine. Shadow mode start tight, where it was damn hard to hit. It's all how you have it setup I guess and what rubber you use on posts.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

It's just 9 modes, one is an extra ball. So 3 balls + extra ball from mode + possible extra ball from mystery = 4 or 5 balls = 4 or 5 mode starts. So all you have to do is start 4 or 5 more modes to start riot. It's not that hard unless you want to make it hard by never selecting start mode ever.

I prefer to add band members. It makes it harder to complete all modes. That and I like to hear Night Train and have those six balls flying around the playfield.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

It's just 9 modes, one is an extra ball. So 3 balls + extra ball from mode + possible extra ball from mystery = 4 or 5 balls = 4 or 5 mode starts. So all you have to do is start 4 or 5 more modes to start riot. It's not that hard unless you want to make it hard by never selecting start mode ever. It's not a drain monster either like some games and it has a kickback. I think I made it to riot 4 times in 60 games, high score was like 4.2 billion I think (hard to remember 2 1/2 years ago), setup to factory specs.

Yeah, I had similar experiences with my GnR. Once you can master a backhand into the mode start hole, you're away ...

It got to the point that I was getting RIOT every game. So I didn't play it for a year, and now it's fresh again

It's still one of the coolest pinball machines ever made, IMO.

Hard rock/metal and pinball just go together. Winner.

rd.

#39 5 years ago

I played GNR a bunch back in it's arcade days -- something I can't say about most DE games. That video brought back memories of what made the game great. I saw one a couple of years ago and had forgotten it was a widebody, because it sure doesn't play like one. It's fast, frenzied and has a lot to offer. Best DE game by far if you ask me.

Creech is a very cool game and the theme is awesome. Sounds and effects are top notch. It's very satisfying when you get it wound up.

I don't know. I could see where it would be tough to choose only one. But for me, it would probably be GNR.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Celina, TX
9,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hauppauge, NY
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 28.00
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 50.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
9,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 235.00
Boards
RS Technologies
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside