Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

heimlich (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I have had a Creech pinball for about 17 years. I love it. The music and hologram make it so appealing. Trouble is, I am a bit bored with it. I would really like a Star Trek Next Gen, because I am a bit of a trekie too.

Another pinball owner has offered to swap but I am unsure. Maybe the sentimental me is finding it hard to let go. However what are people's views on the two games head to head.

Views on Game play and £/$ value comparisons?

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Carl71:

I have had a Creech pinball for about 17 years. I love it. The music and hologram make it so appealing. Trouble is, I am a bit bored with it. I would really like a Star Trek Next Gen, because I am a bit of a trekie too.
Another pinball owner has offered to swap but I am unsure. Maybe the sentimental me is finding it hard to let go. However what are people's views on the two games head to head.
Views on Game play and £/$ value comparisons?

Creech is probably worth more but STTNG is the far superior game.

#3 3 years ago

STTNG pin is kinda an under rated early 90 player. Very fun, lots going on. Wide body game that uses all the space even though it looks like a wide open PF. Great light show. I am not a Star Trek fan, so the theme doesn’t do anything for me. In fact I kinda like the 50’s theme of the creature a little better. But...

When I had both a CFTBL and TNG set up I would play the TNG way more.

#4 3 years ago

STTNG is very deep for its time. Its quite hard IMO as well. They made a bunch of them so its a pretty common game so value wise I assume it would be a fair amount lower.

#5 3 years ago

STTNG is far superior IMO. If you are a trekie, you will love it.

#6 3 years ago

How about you ask your friend to do a trial swap for 6 months and then see if you want to swap back?

#7 3 years ago

STTNG - Easily. I had a lot of time on it this past winter in league play and absolutely love it. Definitely deserves more respect. Awesome pin. A lot of fun.

#8 3 years ago

I'll add my vote for ST:TNG. I've had mine since new and still enjoy the heck out of it.
One of the very best pins IMO.
Steve

#9 3 years ago

I'm probably in the minority in that I like CFTBL more, but let me ask, are you comfortable working on games (or have someone that can work on games)? ST:TNG has a reputation for being a bit of a maintenance nightmare. Obviously there's not guarantee either way, but just some food for thought. Do you like the game, or just the ST theme?

#10 3 years ago

You can get sick of any game in 17 years.

Value is close but creature is worth more.

STTNG breaks like it’s it’s job so be ready for that. STTNG used to be one of my favorite games but I grew tired of the repetitiveness of everything and the awful video mode 6 times a (good) game.

All things being equal I’d rather have creature but since you are sick of it you could do worse than STTNG. It’s a very good game but it’ll get old too and you’ll get tired of its “quirks”. God forbid an extra ball ends up in play sometime.

#11 3 years ago

I'm not surprised that you got bored with CFTBL. While I like the game, it isn't very deep - even for it's time. STTNG is likely to entertain you for a lot longer.

#12 3 years ago

I like Creature a little more than Star Trek Next Gen. And I do like Next Generation, but for me, Creature has:

Slightly better layout. (I'm a sucker for those side shot saucer/holes, ala Space Shuttle.)
Two great themes in one.
Plunger > trigger (always)
More than one true skill shot.
Better ramps.
Better video mode.
Just plays a lot smoother. Was never crazy about the cannons in Star Trek, either. But I know some people love 'em.

Star Trek does have more to shoot for, but keep in mind, many aspects of the Next Generation's layout can be found in other machines. If you're a Trekkie, I think Stern Star Trek is the better of the two. Plays a lot smoother with more features packed into a regular-body machine, plus less maintenance than you would have to deal with in Next Generation.

#13 3 years ago

I own both, a Creature and a STTNG. I love them equally for what they are and they will never leave my small collection. The STTNG is high maintenance while the Creature is not.

#14 3 years ago

Thanks all so far for the advice. Lots of food for thought. It's going to be a tough decision. I dont think I will do a straight swap until I get a better understanding of the value difference, but might suggest a temporary swap to see if I like it or it spends more time broken lol

#15 3 years ago

Two words Picard Maneuver

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:Two words Picard Maneuver

Is that something like this?

heimlich (resized).jpgheimlich (resized).jpg
#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Is that something like this?
[quoted image]

Think, "That's how we do things in San Francisco" and you will know the maneuver.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 63.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 15.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-v-stng and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.