• 422 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Manny65
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CFTBL Snackbar 3.0 kustom kit - Manual rev4.pdf (PDF preview)
french mod (resized).jpg
french kit (resized).jpg
screen-capture-28 (resized).png
20150518_165823_1600 (resized).jpg
99-010133-00_munchkin_land_assy_WOZ (resized).jpg
5xCustoms (resized).JPG
IMG_0815 (resized).jpg
Creature Plastics.pdf (PDF preview)
Creature Plastics Laser.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_2779 (resized).jpg
IMG_2776 (resized).jpg
IMG_2775 (resized).jpg
IMG_0827 (resized).JPG
IMG_0611 (resized).jpeg
There are 422 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
#1 6 years ago

Thought it was time to start a new dedicated thread for Version 3 (v3) of the Snackbar Mod due to quite a few people requesting a Snackbar Mod and since I have wanted to try something out (new feature). I do get bored so tend to do a run of about 100 and then stop for a breather and if enough requests occur I then develop another version to mix it up a little but also improve on the previous design - always aiming for a cleaner look, easier to install and more details but still look the part. But I am also open to constructive ideas and if cool, practical and within cost restrictions like add features suggested by Pinsiders.

Version 3 - Snackmod v3
- to be released soon
- limited to 40 units due to deadline commitment by those keen.

Desired features of v3:
- no bolts in the top through the decal
- one bolt quick release system at the back of the front face once the base plate is installed
- no acrylic light blades - to be replaced with a molded resin 12mm / 1/2" high front plate
- added decal to the molded front plate to enhance the neon and Snackbar look

Open for thoughts :
- on the top surface decal / dome flasher insert - yes/no / Starlight Design / or stars - possibly with some components that can be lit up

Current model design:
start of the design with open front and no bolts in the top and one at the back of the front face

top piece made transparent to show the locking features

The price:
- to be confirmed once the design is finalised and prototype made
- I only ask for payment when your mod is ready to post and getting on the wait list only secures you a spot for the mod in the order I get your enquiry.

Ordering:
All I ask is if you are keen, please send me a pm with the subject line being "Snackbar Mod v3" and issue me your
- full name
- email address
If you don't send me a pm I will not put you on the wait list, as posting in the thread that you are keen is cool and appreciated but it won't secure you a position on the wait list. Currently there are about 15 people on the wait list and I tend to build them in batches of about 10 every 4-6 weeks once the design is final and proven.

Updates:
- when I have an update I will post and encourage others to give your thoughts, ideas etc

History of this mod is:

Version 2 - Snackbar Mod v2
- released January 2016
- finished October 2017
- modeled off features of the building on the playfield with it's unique features but improved the number of bolts in the top from 5 to 2 and switched to laser cut acrylic light blades for improved brightness and lit by linking to the GI powering a led strip.
- downsides were some people felt that it lost a little of the classic rounded neon look, slightly improved assembly
thread can be found here

Version 1 - Snackbar Mod (v1)
- released September 2014
- finished September 2015
- modeled off features of the building on the playfield with it's unique features being it used elwire along with a inverter for a cool neon effect to the Snackbar mod.
- downsides were it was a little timing consuming to install and pulled 12vdc from a already heavily modded game.
thread can be found here

Update 28-12-18
It has taken longer than I had hoped but here is the manual for the released v3.0 Snackbar mod for those on the list which is limited to 40 people along with 3 people that wanted the prototypes. Prototypes are completed and parts are almost in for the production mods to roll out in early 2019. My apologies for the delays and your patience.

Update 23-1-19
V2.0 manual added (removed v1.0 manual)
CFTBL Snackbar Mod v3.0 - Manual rev2.pdfCFTBL Snackbar Mod v3.0 - Manual rev2.pdf

#2 6 years ago

a few people have asked what my experience is and I have reassured them that I design for fun and a mechanical engineer by trade and yes I earn a small commission off my designs made by Shapeways

I put alot of my designs up at Shapeways as these are made in the US and postage is affordable, some being mods, some being reproduction parts for those hard to get parts, and some are tools amongst other random things. I still have to update some designs with the appropriate search words.

all my designs - full catalogue
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinks&sort=newest

all CFTBL specific parts and mods
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinkscftbl&sort=newest

all pinball mods
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinksmod&sort=newest

all pinball reproduction parts
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinksreproduction&sort=newest

all pinball tools
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinkstools&sort=newest

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

a few people have asked what my experience is and I have reassured them that I design for fun ..."

FWIW - I bought this mod from Swinks a few years ago (v2, I believe) and it is worth every cent. It's a high quality, well engineered part and looks like it came straight from the WMS. As eBayer's would say, "buy with confidence."

#4 6 years ago

Oh yes!!! I can’t wait already looking amazing! And I’m In the process of restoring my creepch and installing a separate 12v power supply to run all my goodies like this one

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Oh yes!!! I can’t wait already looking amazing! And I’m In the process of restoring my creepch and installing a separate 12v power supply to run all my goodies like this one

this one is now hooked up to the GI socket under the mod so a simple to wire and lightup and not a power drain unlike v1.

#6 6 years ago

So in on this. Amazing looking creation and work. Can’t wait to see/own the final product!!

#7 6 years ago

Swinks, you know I'm a big fan of your work. If anyone has any doubts about Swinks' work toss them aside. The quality and craftmanship that goes into everything he does is crazy. Hours of work. Hours of thought. Hours of care.

Swinks, my only suggestion, and I don't know if this is even possible, is to synchronize the LED lighting on the Snack Bar with the callout. So when you hear "The snack bar is now open" and the DMD shows the sign flash a couple times and then light up have your v3 version do the exact same thing. Again, I don't know how you would trigger this but I think it would be awesome to see your mod finally interact with the game without being to standout-ish.

#8 6 years ago

Classy! you do top notch work Swinks I still love that PZ rocket flame man and I sold the game a while ago! lol

#9 6 years ago

thanks for the kind words guys, it's very much appreciated.

a few people have asked about postage whcih I can give a rough answer. I am in Australia but have sent most of the mods in the past to the US followed by Canada and Europe. Every parcel gets tracking to your door and basically I just charge for the box and postage and don't charge a packing fee. I don't want to quote postage costs just yet as Aus Post may raise prices but in the past there has been change from $30AUD to USA and Canada and change from $35AUD to Europe.

hope that helps

#10 6 years ago

Looking forward to seeing how v3 turns out.

I would love to see v3 return to the "neon look" that the elwire provided in v1, perhaps by molding a rounded tube that is backlit.

I love the look, but I've had a number of issues with it because of the power draw. Keeping the LED lighting from v2 with the neon look of v1 would be the best of both worlds.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Looking forward to seeing how v3 turns out.
I would love to see v3 return to the "neon look" that the elwire provided in v1, perhaps by molding a rounded tube that is backlit.
I love the look, but I've had a number of issues with it because of the power draw. Keeping the LED lighting from v2 with the neon look of v1 would be the best of both worlds.

that is my main goal with this version and what you are suggesting is what I had in mind.... lets see if I can get that look

#12 6 years ago

Swinks mods are absolutely worth it. I have v2 of this, and I installed it in about 20 minutes with no issues at all. If you can turn a screwdriver, you can install this mod, and it looks GREAT.

Quoted from Fifty:

Swinks, you know I'm a big fan of your work. If anyone has any doubts about Swinks' work toss them aside. The quality and craftmanship that goes into everything he does is crazy. Hours of work. Hours of thought. Hours of care.
Swinks, my only suggestion, and I don't know if this is even possible, is to synchronize the LED lighting on the Snack Bar with the callout. So when you hear "The snack bar is now open" and the DMD shows the sign flash a couple times and then light up have your v3 version do the exact same thing. Again, I don't know how you would trigger this but I think it would be awesome to see your mod finally interact with the game without being to standout-ish.

Heck yeah. If this happens, I might have to buy v3. That would just be too cool to pass up.

#13 5 years ago

thanks again guys and like in the past anyone that has purchased the snackbar mod directly from me in the past will get a discount as a thanks for your support:
- those that purchased v1 or v2 will get a 5% discount on v3
- those that purchased v1 and then v2 will get 10% discount on v3

if you have purchased in the past please remind me and I will cross check with my records and when the price is known & released you will get a discount as a thanks.

cheers

Jady

#14 5 years ago

this is my current concept that now the front will be one whole light lens with detailed embossed features and a black background as typically black is the background for neon - the clear light is the the 1st neon tube in which there will be 2 of these with a second up higher equally at the top
Snackbar v3 (r1)-4 (resized).pngSnackbar v3 (r1)-4 (resized).png

this will be the neon look profile that will extend out past the black front
Snackbar v3 (r1)-5 (resized).pngSnackbar v3 (r1)-5 (resized).png

the fitting of this mod is like the previous version, mount the plate but it will have 3 different posts that you drop on and slide 7.5mm to lock into place and then one bolt to fasten the lens and shroud also locks the mod into place so to service etc - loosen one screw and it will slide and lift off - easy.
Snackbar v3 (r1)-6 (resized).pngSnackbar v3 (r1)-6 (resized).png

concerns - the front panel may distort due to the slender cut outs.

thoughts -

#15 5 years ago

here is the next stage with the front now with 2 neon tubes, will start on the next feature for the top and see what you guys think

Snackbar v3 (r1)-7.pngSnackbar v3 (r1)-7.png

#16 5 years ago

Awesome! These are looking great, I’m liking the 2 tunes but man both are stellar

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Awesome! These are looking great, I’m liking the 2 tunes but man both are stellar

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Stunning, Jady!

thanks guys, still aiming to put an addition on the roof that will be an underlit lit, 3d interactive "Snackbar" logo like the playfield that will be lit using the red dome feature lit so interactive to flash and come on when the snackbar is open.

#19 5 years ago

I would be interested in getting one of these when they are ready.

#20 5 years ago

I’m in for this time around

#21 5 years ago

You would have enjoyed the Sci-Fi theater at Disney, Jady!

You sat in cars, like in a Drive in, waitresses in carhop uniforms, and a montage of old clicks including many snack bar ones.
Many fond memories..... Drive ins, were they a thing down under in the late 50s early 60s-70s?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#22 5 years ago

That is so cool Art,

I would loved that era and scene, maybe one day we can get to that place at Disney,

Yes they is still one drive in locally which we visit a few times a year but pretty bad snackbar, definitely no inspiration at the local one. They have a funny radio add that promotes that “if you don’t like the movie you can slash the seats”

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

That is so cool Art,
I would loved that era and scene, maybe one day we can get to that place at Disney,
Yes they is still one drive in locally which we visit a few times a year but pretty bad snackbar, definitely no inspiration at the local one. They have a funny radio add that promotes that “if you don’t like the movie you can slash the seats”

I guess they only show "slasher" films!

Sadly, they closed that restaurant.
We would go often, as my niece worked there, and we didnt have to wait in line.....

Thats great you still have a drive in!, I think there are only a couple left here...

Anyone never been to a drive in? Were they in Europe?

Saw the new snackbar, and trying to think if I have a different game I could use it in......So Sweet!

#24 5 years ago

slight detour but interesting all the same

I was curious of drive-in cinemas in Europe and could only find this which in Aus we call open air cinema's
https://travelaway.me/outdoor-cinemas-europe/

and found this one in Denmark, so they must of had them though would only be in the warmer months I imagine
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMHBGZ_LARGEST_Drive_In_Movie_Theatre_in_Europe_Lynge_Denmark

here is a bit of Australia's history
https://maas.museum/inside-the-collection/2016/02/09/remembering-australias-drive-ins/

and we only have 16 left in Aus - Heddon Greta is our local and years ago we had another 2 with one being within 5 kms away
http://www.driveinmovie.com/Australia

US has 348 Drive-ins left
https://qz.com/235155/there-are-barely-any-drive-in-movie-theaters-left-unless-you-live-in-south-dakota/

#25 5 years ago

I haven't been convinced that I would prefer this mod to the original back-lit Snack bar plastic, but this latest proposal has me intrigued.

BTW, I am a huge drive-in fan and we are fortunate to have a great one here in OKC.

IMG_0849 (resized).JPGIMG_0849 (resized).JPG

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

here is the next stage with the front now with 2 neon tubes, will start on the next feature for the top and see what you guys think

I So love the look of this Dual row tube design! You can't make these soon enough. So glad I am on the list and HOPE you are inspired to make them soon. Loving this and my creech is waiting to see your amazing work.

#27 5 years ago

this is still in the concept stage but I have tried to replicate the Snack Bar name like on the playfield and turn it into a 3d part. Because I don't want to create any floating pieces I have changed the "a" and the "B"

this is merely the start of a logo that will be housed and backlit from the back or underneath to glow and this will be connected to the light that flashes under the red dome on certain features and when the Snackbar is open.

I suppose before I go too far along am wondering what people are thinking of the slight change on a few of the letters and direction with this part???

the design housing will be more curved and stylized to flow with the letters and then located on the snackbar top towards the front point so scene

Snackbar v3 (r1)-8 (resized).pngSnackbar v3 (r1)-8 (resized).png

#28 5 years ago

Dig it!

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

the fitting of this mod is like the previous version, mount the plate but it will have 3 different posts that you drop on and slide 7.5mm to lock into place and then one bolt to fasten the lens and shroud also locks the mod into place so to service etc - loosen one screw and it will slide and lift off - easy.

concerns - the front panel may distort due to the slender cut outs.
thoughts -

jady, have you considered replacing the bolt to fasten the lens with something like this?
Black Stainless Steel Phillips Flat Head Machine Screws (resized).jpgBlack Stainless Steel Phillips Flat Head Machine Screws (resized).jpg

since the head is flat, it would not stick out and the black color would allow it to blend in seamlessly with your plate

even better would be to add a 90° tab (with a screw hole) at the top end of the plate so that it locks in at the bottom (leading edge), and then slides into place. the top end is still secured with a screw, but the screw is now positioned on the top (not visible) edge of the snack bar (see my hastily mock-up hack of your image below)
snack bar mod v3 plate mockup (resized).jpgsnack bar mod v3 plate mockup (resized).jpg

#30 5 years ago

thanks j_m_ , nice mockup

I had considered something like the countersunk bolt but you need the thickness as the plate at that end is only 2mm thick plastic which is not ideal for countersunk's if in the front face

I like the idea of the tab at the back, but the downside of the locking bolt at the back is that if the customer wants to service under the mod (change a globe etc) they have to remove the light board in the centre and then have limited hand room for hand and allen key. V1 had 5 bolts on top, v2 had 2 on top and v3 will have none on top but one on the front face which will be black and blended and makes for easy install and serviceability.

The bolt actually has a second feature which is to lock the top in place once it slides into position but could be doable from the back but would need to be longer and more unscrewing / screwing in a limited space.

#31 5 years ago

what about reversing my mock-up to locking the lens cover at the top and having the tab near the lower point of the snack bar and then putting the screw on the right side of the snack bar? (which would still be out of the line of sight, giving you a nice and clean look

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

what about reversing my mock-up to locking the lens cover at the top and having the tab near the lower point of the snack bar and then putting the screw on the right side of the snack bar? (which would still be out of the line of sight, giving you a nice and clean look

That is a fair point but there are brackets near the ramp as well on the right so turning a allen key might be a issue. Where the bolt is now is a dead area that can't be back lit due to hidden features so not to bad and black on black will keep it blended in. I will though consider where the sign gets fastened to the top front could be the locking bolt at the back of the sign giving it good access and not seen - so a win win.

Will continue on the design and look at options, but appreciate the ideas.

But with you other idea of the back locking tab gave me the idea to design midway tabs for the black face midway to strengthen up the thin sections and secure better, so thanks.

#33 5 years ago

didn't feel like working on the logo - still in the think tank but really wanted to do a neon version and a retro classic light globe version:
- neon with simulated pink lighting
- globe with simulated yellow lighting

Snackbar v3 (r1)-10 (resized).pngSnackbar v3 (r1)-10 (resized).png
Snackbar v3 (r1)-9 (resized).pngSnackbar v3 (r1)-9 (resized).png

#34 5 years ago

still love the neon version and think that's the way to go

if that screw has to go in the front, I would go with something like this instead:
Black Stainless Steel Flat Head Socket Cap Screws (resized).jpgBlack Stainless Steel Flat Head Socket Cap Screws (resized).jpg
https://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/Flat-Socket-Screw-1-4-20-Black-Oxide-Stainless-p/12270000.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4t7_3fPm2gIVBL7ACh3euwUZEAQYAiABEgIiO_D_BwE

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

really wanted to do a neon version and a retro classic light globe version:
- neon with simulated pink lighting
- globe with simulated yellow lighting

Would like to have the option to get both

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

Would like to have the option to get both

yes probably will make both available but be sold as neon and people can change it by purchasing the globed version from shapeways when ever it suits them

#37 5 years ago

Neon is such a classic look, I just can't see any other looking at home in the game.

#38 5 years ago

never had to wrap a logo so took a little experimenting but worked out a concept, so need a vote from people:

1. keep the logo on top like on the playfield and still need to cut down around text and then wrap a black housing around and back light

OR

2. have the Snackbar unlike the playfield on the same face as the neon and maybe a back lit "OPEN" on the top face with a logo so the top is flat.

Snackbar v3 (r1)-11.pngSnackbar v3 (r1)-11.png

#39 5 years ago

Swinks, can you bleed the light into the sign from underneath so it lights up? Kinda like lazoriffic toppers do?

I'm not sure I like the plate on the front. The mismatch colours are not appealing to me.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Swinks, can you bleed the light into the sign from underneath so it lights up? Kinda like lazoriffic toppers do?
I'm not sure I like the plate on the front. The mismatch colours are not appealing to me.

tough crowd ... lol

the image is merely a concept of showing "Snack Bar" in the playfield font and it curved and the rough location similar to the playfield. The colours are not true as not finished yet as will have a black casing and back lit like the neon will be.

laseriffic topper are edge lit as the acrylic is engrave and the engraving lits up, the snackbar piece will molded acrylic so will be cloudy but backlit.

if people are not really into it I can just park the project until a better solution comes up.

#41 5 years ago

I think this looks amazing! I also have worked with 3D applications a lot and color in these renders do not equate to the color it will be as swinks said. So I would not take color into account, more about the structure and features. I love this

#42 5 years ago

swinks Jady this is looking badass, when you said you where doing another revision of this mod I wasn’t sure how you could make it any better.

If you can backlit the Snack Bar signs like in your post above this thing will be insane!

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

tough crowd ... lol
the image is merely a concept of showing "Snack Bar" in the playfield font and it curved and the rough location similar to the playfield. The colours are not true as not finished yet as will have a black casing and back lit like the neon will be.
laseriffic topper are edge lit as the acrylic is engrave and the engraving lits up, the snackbar piece will molded acrylic so will be cloudy but backlit.
if people are not really into it I can just park the project until a better solution comes up.

Ha! Don't let me get you down. I just wanted to provide some criticism. If everyone comes in here and says, "It's perfect!", "It's awesome!", then they aren't pushing you to be the best Swink's you can be.

#44 5 years ago

I really like this new addition. The signage gives a new dimension and detail which would look great in this area. Possibly consider a semi-translucent colored film on the back of the translucent sign to further accent the illuminated lettering. Would look incredible.

#45 5 years ago

Looking Ace so far I’d better start saving

#46 5 years ago

I really like the concept that you show in your image. Back lit "Snack Bar" sign on top inside a black casing would be awesome.

#47 5 years ago

Maybe a black background on the Snack Bar, so that when lit it looks neon like the sides. Would you be housing it in something? As pictured, it looks like one air ball away from being broken.

#48 5 years ago

Liking the options in the design. Front facing snack bar signage is great if viewable from players perspective on the curve

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

tough crowd ... lol

Don't park it! I am ready for version 3, having bought ver 1 and 2 in the past. Can't wait to see how this comes out.

#50 5 years ago

Retiring my v2 for this. Do your thing Swinks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 9.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 422 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-snackbar-mod-v3-2018?hl=jodannar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.