Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Gort
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 19 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5609_(resized).jpeg
IMG_5608_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4242_(resized).JPG
IMG_4241_(resized).JPG
IMG_4226_(resized).JPG
IMG_4240_(resized).JPG
IMG_4238_(resized).JPG
IMG_4231_(resized).JPG
IMG_4230_(resized).JPG
IMG_4228_(resized).JPG
IMG_4225_(resized).JPG
IMG_4233_(resized).JPG
IMG_4232_(resized).JPG
IMG_4221_(resized).JPG
IMG_4220_(resized).JPG
IMG_4217_(resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

I was never fond of the boring old black side rails in the creature pinball and I was never a fan of the orange, purple, and black swamp rails that are out there - they really never fit the theme for me. So I gots to thinking.

I had this idea for quite sometime when a few years ago I was at the sci-fi dine-in theater restaurant in Disney Studios. All around the restaurant is a fence with science fiction movie posters. Ding Ding Ding - a lightbuld moment. Looking closely at the backboard there is a gray fence around the drive-in on the creech pin; I continued with this theme.

So a little paint (gray acrylic), some black permanent markers (one thin, the other medium), a few sheets of Water Proof Vinyl Laser Printer Labels, a color laser printer, MS Publisher, a small plastic ruler, scissors, and a few internet images and presto....

I started by applying the grey paint to the side rails and formed peaks in the process. Then using the medium marker and a ruler I drew lines to form the fence boards. Then with the thin marker, drew knots and groves. Next up I searched around for science fiction posters, copied and pasted them into Publisher and sized them differently. I took 1/2 sheets, inserts, full sheets, and some 3 sheets sizes of posters and fitted about 9 on each sheet of vinyl paper. Printed them, then snipped them out with a pair of scissors. I arranged the posters on the fences with some painters tape before I permanently mounted them. Once I was satisfied, I removed the backing of each poster label and affixed to the sides.

sci-fi-dine-in-theater-00_(resized).jpg
IMG_4218_(resized).JPG
IMG_4216_(resized).JPG
IMG_4217_(resized).JPG
IMG_4220_(resized).JPG
IMG_4221_(resized).JPG
IMG_4232_(resized).JPG
IMG_4233_(resized).JPG
IMG_4225_(resized).JPG
IMG_4228_(resized).JPG
IMG_4230_(resized).JPG
IMG_4231_(resized).JPG
IMG_4238_(resized).JPG
IMG_4240_(resized).JPG
IMG_4226_(resized).JPG

IMG_4241_(resized).JPG
IMG_4242_(resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

Wow!!! That is really awesome. Well done!

#4 3 years ago

Well done indeed! I have been begging for drive-in themed side panel artwork for quite a while. You should show your design to Pingraffix.

#5 3 years ago

nice work, looks the part.

also that very first image, has that ever been done, a diner movie cinema - looks so cool

#6 3 years ago

at first I thought what the hell is he doing as I was going 1 pic at a time....but then ....WOW!! great idea and great skill! CTBL is my favorite pin. You should have a decal made for sure. Great job.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

also that very first image, has that ever been done, a diner movie cinema - looks so cool

yes...this is from the actual restaurant in Disney World....pretty cool, you sit in the cars to eat and watch trailers from all the old science fiction movies of the 50's. The servers used to be on roller skates at one time but not any longer.

#8 3 years ago

that is so cool, thanks for the explanation - boy I am living in the wrong country.

#9 3 years ago

Holy shit! This is awesome! Nice work!

#10 3 years ago

One more reason I need to get a creech.

#11 3 years ago

Cool!

#12 3 years ago

This is brilliant! I'm going to have to steal this idea and change it out for movies that are our personal favorites to make it fun!

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Sci-Fi diner is very cool. Been there done that. It used to be at MGM Studios park but I think it has been renamed.

Quoted from alveolus:

Well done indeed! I have been begging for drive-in themed side panel artwork for quite a while. You should show your design to Pingraffix.

It would be cool, but has copyright material on in now. See "This Island Earth"? Ask the MST3K guys about the movie they did and then the rights afterwards.

#14 3 years ago

a mate did a similar poster mod to a unseen area on his creech just for something different - back of the backbox light board (photos during a resto)

IMG_5608_(resized).jpeg

IMG_5609_(resized).jpeg

#15 3 years ago

Very nice work indeed!

#16 3 years ago

Bravo, Artistic genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 3 years ago

At first when I read your idea I was thinking....Eh. But holy smokes, that turned out really cool! Excellent idea!

#18 3 years ago

Nice work! Love to have a set.

2 weeks later
#19 3 years ago

i love it!

#20 3 years ago

Very cool and creative. Well done!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
5,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cream Ridge, NJ
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside