8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1593_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

Howdy! My first post for my first machine with my first issue! Just picked up this Creature in great working order and am super excited to dive into this new addiction.

I've perused a number of relevant threads on this site, and have intentions of going down the PinWiki diagnostic checklist for this baby but I figured I would reach out to this awesome community of folks who actually know their stuff. I'm a fairly capable, yet still extremely terrified and wet behind the ears, dude.

So, began experiencing random reset issues. Research led to all signs pointing towards low voltage, most likely from the wall. Before I got around to testing, one evening it went totally dark while playing. No reset or anything. I powered down and powered back up. The boards are receiving power, yet no lights anywhere and the DMD displays nothing save for a line of dashes across the top row. Pic attached for reference there.

Again, I'm about to start the troubleshooting train but wanted to jump in to this rad community. If you have any thoughts or advice for a newbie, please feel free to chime in. Preemptive thanks for your time and cheers!

IMG_1593_(resized).JPGIMG_1593_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

I would start by checking ALL of the fuses, and when I say checking, I mean taking them out and verifying they are the correct value, and also do a continuity test. Also do a complete visual check, especially around the batteries on the CPU board. Check all the connectors (see if any look burnt or broken), inspect the power driver board, etc. If you get your DMD working, then go into diagnostics and see if there are any errors. I doubt the reset issue would be from low wall voltage, way more likely to be something else. Info here and other troubleshooting guides like on Pinwiki are a great resource to have!

Great choice on your machine! Good luck!

#3 8 years ago

I had a World Cup that did this after I switched it over to a long extension cord.

Check if there's something heavy like a space heater running on the same breaker.

Sounds crazy but it fixed my problem.
After taking it off the extension cord.
Then it happen to my Whitewater every time my son had his window air condition running WW would reset.

#4 8 years ago

Reseat all the gray ribbon cables in the head. Careful not to get the connectors shifted over one pin or row. Don't forget the little short one that goes from WPC board to driver board.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks everybody! I'll report any results for posterity.

#6 8 years ago

Reseat J101, J102, J114 on the driver board and J210 on the MPU first and look for any burnt pins on these connectors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 27.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
€ 24.00
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 9.95
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-power-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.