• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
CFTBL Matrix (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Started a game today and when booting up and starting a game, sounds like game wants to do a check ball sequence by firing solenoids. Game started fine and then when start button was pushed, lower right popper and upper right popper started firing one after another for 5-6 times with ball in shooter lane. Game seemed to play fine, but then when you hit ball into either popper, it didnt register and would only do a ball search again to eject.

Went into test mode and all switches test normal, 2 poppers are registered closed and open when a you block optics. Thought it might be a ball trough issue so checked the trough switches and they seemed fine, but did a small adjustment on the one closest to shooter lane as it didnt look like wire was moving down enough to trigger switch signifying ball was there.

Any other thoughts? electrical ? All wires appear in tact, just seems like a mechanical issue.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

Started a game today and when booting up and starting a game, sounds like game wants to do a check ball sequence by firing solenoids. Game started fine and then when start button was pushed, lower right popper and upper right popper started firing one after another for 5-6 times with ball in shooter lane. Game seemed to play fine, but then when you hit ball into either popper, it didnt register and would only do a ball search again to eject.
Went into test mode and all switches test normal, 2 poppers are registered closed and open when a you block optics. Thought it might be a ball trough issue so checked the trough switches and they seemed fine, but did a small adjustment on the one closest to shooter lane as it didnt look like wire was moving down enough to trigger switch signifying ball was there.
Any other thoughts? electrical ? All wires appear in tact, just seems like a mechanical issue.

What optics are you adjusting for the pops?? I would check the gap on all three pop switch blades to make sure they are gapped correctly.

#3 3 years ago

Still troubleshooting. So I noticed in switch test, you can see lower right popper fire, but when i activate switch #38 ramp up and down it double chimes and the right lower popper switch is activated immediately. Got to have a shorted wire somewhere I think. lower right popper is 37. Switch matrix shows #34 right popper, 37 lower right popper and 38 ramp up and down all in a row. I have always been told to look at the switch matrix but not sure where to go from there. they all use a green orange dedicated ground wire- is that where i start? Trace that ground wire and look for something? or does this suggest a problem on the board? Thanks for help- still learning.

#4 3 years ago

Also I guess I check connector J206 pin 3 for something as well?? After that when you get into transistors I am lost

#5 3 years ago

Switch matrix shows correct switches closed. optos test fine and the problem disappeared but i t will come back

#6 3 years ago

So still working on problem. I have been able to recreate the problem by pressing and opening the up down ramp switch. As soon as I do that the poppers start popping.

Don't see any loose wires. Suggestions on where and how to start?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

Suggestions on where and how to start?

Switch matrix problem ? Switch wired wrong, diode on backwards, a short to switch lugs or wiring. Could be at other switches, not just those.

LTG : )

#8 3 years ago

I have changed nothing and not worked on this machine in 5 years. Play it all the time. First time we have had an issue. So I have read about the switch matrix issues but don't know where to start in narrowing down. How do I isolate and locate the actual issue

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

How do I isolate and locate the actual issue

#10 3 years ago

Wow othis is gonna be complicated to decipher since the phantom switches are optos

#11 3 years ago

Okay, I removed pinballs from trough and closed coin door so I could see what the switch matrix showed. I have attached a picture to describe.

On startup, switches 37 and 34 fire ( poppers on VUK) and keep firing during intro.

Go into service menu and diagnostics and go to switch edges test T.1 See diagram- switches22( coin door) and 24 ( not used) show closed- marked in blue in pic.
Switch 38 ( ramp up and down) flashes irregularly between closed and open - red in diagram. if you push ramp down to open switch, on release switches 34 ( right popper) and switch 37 ( lower right popper) toggle closed.

In reading and trying to understand switch matrix, the issue could be a diode or bad switch from an area in relation to these, but i am having trouble seeing the rectangle I should be looking at. Also the flickering of switch 34 in the matrix confuses me- perhaps this switch or diode is just bad. But I want to learn and analytically figure it out.

I have a new DMM with a diode test coming tomorrow so I will start to test things better ( my old radio shack one doesnt have a diode test), but can someone help me understand a bit better the rectangle theory and which diodes and switches to check

Thanks

CFTBL Matrix (resized).pngCFTBL Matrix (resized).png
#12 3 years ago

Second test tonight shows only 22 and 24 closed. When I activate switch 38, 37 and 34 light closed, but nothing on the actual switch 38. ???

#13 3 years ago

I'm surprised on one else has asked this yet but post a good quality picture of the MPU board near / below the battery holder. Battery damage to the board can cause all sorts of odd switch matrix behavior.

#14 3 years ago

No batteries on board. Always have them removed. Have been fro 8 years since i refurbed machine

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

No batteries on board. Always have them removed. Have been fro 8 years since i refurbed machine

Good to hear. Not everyone agrees with me on this but when I see this kind of stuff I always isolate it to the playfield or the board first just to be sure I'm not chasing my tail. The other thing you can do is see if the behavior you are seeing changes if you block any of the involved optos involved and then repeat your test. Good luck bump!

#16 3 years ago

yes will do. Was going to first check mpu and jumper each pin to make sure switch matrix is correct. Then if so, I will need to test the diodes. I still am unsure of the rectangle to check as it talkas about you have to have a closed switch in the same column and the same row, and that gives you the three corners of the triangle and I dont have another closed switch in the column with switch 38.

#17 3 years ago

Does this happen when the playfield is pulled out and up also. Do you have a pic of the ramp switch?

#18 3 years ago

Yes it happens with playfield pulled out

#19 3 years ago

What happens if you unplug the optos from the opto board, do the coils still fire? also try re seating plugs j208 and j206 on the cpu a couple of times

#20 3 years ago

So O came back from the weekend and no go back to test. Previous;y as I stated on switch matrix switch 38 was flaky, bouncing. between open and closed. this is the ramp up and down which is NC switch. In switch test not registering as closed or open- doesnt respond. However if i manually open and then reclose , upon closure the two poppers 37 and 37 flash closed. removing the optos from the opto board, they beep once each and then when you activate the ramp switch 38 they do not trigger closed.

Should I start with replacing switch #38 which doesnt appear to work now? Perhaps in fiddling with the connectors I damaged something What does removing the opto board signify in the diagnosis.

Thanks

#21 3 years ago

sorry the two poppers are switches 37 and 34

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

Should I start with replacing switch #38 which doesnt appear to work now?

Do the optos have power to them ?

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Opto_Switches

#23 3 years ago

Will.check but they do work in switch test

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

they do work in switch test

Then replacing them won't cure anything.

#25 3 years ago

It is starting to sound like you may have a bad green/orange wire some place between switch 38 and the cpu. Do you have a DMM? if so you can test switch 38 to see if it is bad. Also to check the green/orange wire. clip one lead of meter on switch 38 green/orange and the other lead on the next switch in line with green/orange then wiggle the wire to see if you lose continuity.

#26 3 years ago

will check continuity. How do you check if switch is bad with DMM?

#27 3 years ago

So finally decided to start at MPU. Removed connectors 206,208. Jumper pin 1 208 and went down the line. pin 3 ( which is the affected column) nothing from MPU, checked 207 same. So I am assuming the MPU has an issue which would make sense since I havent done anything to the machine. Am I on the right track? And if I am repair MPU or new board. Dont see battery damage and batteries havent been on this board since I have owned it for 10 years

#28 3 years ago

Can you swap the board from your WH20 to see if the problem goes away?

#29 3 years ago

I assume you mean do the swap and then just check the switch test?

#30 3 years ago

If the problem is in the board and you swap with a known good working board your problem will go away and than you know its the board.

#31 3 years ago

got that but I assumed the jumper test with column failure shows its the board?

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

got that but I assumed the jumper test with column failure shows its the board?

Yes, it does. Is it the whole column out? If so trace continuity back to the driver chip U20 (I think but double check that) and that the pull up resistor is good, has continuity to the 12V supply, etc. If all of that checks out I believe you most likely have a bad ULN2803 at U20.

#33 3 years ago

Okay I tested continuity at pin 3 J206 to U 20. Not sure of pin number on U20-, but the bottom right toned as pin 1, next one as two and I assumed next was three ( no tone) , 4 five six all tested good continuity. Not sure which pull up resistor and 12 volt to check though- I see 12 volt on pins 6 and 7 of J210, but how to know which resistor

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

Okay I tested continuity at pin 3 J206 to U 20. Not sure of pin number on U20-, but the bottom right toned as pin 1, next one as two and I assumed next was three ( no tone) , 4 five six all tested good continuity. Not sure which pull up resistor and 12 volt to check though- I see 12 volt on pins 6 and 7 of J210, but how to know which resistor

You don't have a set of WPC Schematics? http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Misc/Williams%20WPC%20Schematic%20manual.pdf\

Should be R69 (1K) and pin 16 of U-20 according the ones I have printed off.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Oh yeah, check C13 too.

#35 3 years ago

Okay so checking continuity from pin 16 of U20 to both R69 and C13. the banded side of resistor no continuity, other side yes. the capacitor continuity on short leg, no continuity on long leg. That should be right as all pins of U20 and their corresponding resistor and capacitors measure same. Measuring resistance- all are right around 1K and not sure how capacitors are measured, but in same resistance mode all are same. So in my learning quest, sounds like the actual internal logic in the chip is bad?

#36 3 years ago

Or wait since their is continuity from U20 to rR69 and C13 and we lose continuity from these to J206 pin 3 is the issue that there ia trace ruptured between R69,C13 and J206 and U20 is fine?

#37 3 years ago

If you don't have continuity from J206 pin 3 and U20 pin 16 / R69 / C13 that is definitely your problem, assuming the schematics are correct of course. May just have a cracked solder joint on the connector header.

#38 3 years ago

so the flow is from U20 to R69 to C13 to J206 correct? If thats true I have lost it at the C13 to J206 connection. cannot see a trace , header pins are reflowed and good. do not see the connection from C13 to J206. Perhaps the cap is bad? How do I test that?

#39 3 years ago

Ah I see I cannot test unless under load. Now we are getting too tricky for me. Hopefully Chris Hibler to the rescue-lol
But ty I have learned a tone in trouble shooting.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

Ah I see I cannot test unless under load. Now we are getting too tricky for me. Hopefully Chris Hibler to the rescue-lol
But ty I have learned a tone in trouble shooting.

Continuity you can definitely test with the have off, it's the only way you should test it in fact. If the capacitor is sorted you probably would have seen that when you tested it before. It would be weird for a board with no battery or other damage to suddenly develop an open trace and those ULNs fail relatively frequently. I'm questioning how accurate the schematics are at this point. If U20 is socketed it would be pretty simple to swap it out with a good one from WH20.

#41 3 years ago

I looked at the board in my STTNG and U20 is not socketed so it sounds like you'll have to send it out unless you can do that kind of work yourself. The traces are pretty easy to see going from the connector up to the junction of the resistor and capacitor then to pin 16 of the IC.

#42 3 years ago

Thats what I thought- its not socketed. Ill get Chris to check it out and he will socket it for future issues. First time I have had an issue with an MPU in my 25 years.

So I am due. Thanks for al your help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 24.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 27.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-popper-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.