(Topic ID: 176429)

CFTBL or AFM, which to buy? Opinions please.

By gjm

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0364 (resized).JPG
100_0033 (resized).JPG
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Can only afford one of these 2 pins as of right now. I would like some opinions on these pins from past or present owners.
Thanks and have a great holiday season.

#2 7 years ago

I love my CFTBL, but AFM is #1 on my wish list

#3 7 years ago

Whichever you like more. Both are great games.

Do you want a fast, open layout or a crowded one with short and long shots?

#4 7 years ago

I have both and they are great. But they are very different play.

What kind of games do you like?

AFM is and open playfield with a difficult progression to get to Rule The Universe.

CFTBL is a bit more crowded. There is only a 2 ball multiball and when you get used to the game not as difficult to get to Rescue the Girl. But the Super Jackpots are difficult to collect. There are also a few other scoring options you can do but don't need to do (Move your car, Peeping Tom)

Both are great games done with humor.

#5 7 years ago

To me this is a silly question....

AFM wins by miles

As others have stated, all pinball comes down to personal preference.

#6 7 years ago

It would probably depend on price, as well. CFTBL is usually much less expensive. I love my CFTBL because it seems to have a unique layout and ruleset compared to the other games of this era. I had AFM on loan for a while, and it is also a great game, but like others have said, very different in game-play. However, AFM, in my opinion, is very similar in layout and rules to many other games, not only of this era, but the current layouts, as well.

#7 7 years ago

Afm is just amazing in every category imo flow, code, humor, fast and fun, neat features and great replay value.
Cftbl is fun pin but didn't last long in my collection bc it lacked depth , lots stop and go. only 2 ball mb and just wasn't fun after a few months. Great theme integration tho and cool game to have in a larger collection .

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

Can only afford one of these 2 pins as of right now. I would like some opinions on these pins from past or present owners.
Thanks and have a great holiday season.

Owned CFTBL for almost 20 years and over the years have had about 4 different AFMs.

Both great games. CFTBL is more unique. AFM has a layout very much like a bunch of other games.

If you love the theme of AFM, I actually ended up liking RFM more in the end. I say get a Creature and an RFM for close to the price of an AFM. Go that direction.

#9 7 years ago

I really like AFM but prices on even player condition ones higher than most pins. I see a couple listed at bottom of this thread for $7800. Way too much for old routed pins IMO. If anything, I would rather spend a little more for a brand new remake when the time comes. Creature is a little more reasonable and still a great game. In the end, I would just go for whichever one is in the best condition and/or the one you can get the best deal on.

#10 7 years ago

afm. not even close.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I really like AFM but prices on even player condition ones higher than most pins. I see a couple listed at bottom of this thread for $7800. Way too much for old routed pins IMO. If anything, I would rather spend a little more for a brand new remake when the time comes. Creature is a little more reasonable and still a great game. In the end, I would just go for whichever one is in the best condition and/or the one you can get the best deal on.

You can get a nice afm for 6-7 depending on mods . Most cftbl are 4500-6 now depending on mods so imo for a little more you can get afm which is a much better playing pin with probably the best code of the 90s.. Dont get me wrong creech is cool pin but theres not alot to do and rules/code really lack on it considerably.

#12 7 years ago

If you don't have any top fan layout games - then get the AFM as it's excellent.
If you do have other fans (MM, MB, MET, IM, etc.), especially if you have a few - then get Creature.

There are no other games out there that are "just like CFTBL", and it's excellent and unique.

Regarding the "lack of depth" - it has plenty of depth actually and more is not needed. The 2 ball multiball is awesome - the number of balls isn't the deciding fun factor. You just need to make sure the game is physically set up with enough difficulty to present a challenge. If it is setup too easy, it will get boring (just like any other game).

Here is a list of modes on CFTBL...
- Snack Bar mode
- Move Your Car
- Super Jets
- Millions (left ramp)
- 5 Million shots on both ramps
- Snack Attack
- Video Mode
- Super Scoring mode
- 2 Ball Multiball with stages...
-- find the girl
-- rescue the girl
-- Jackpot
-- Super Jackpot
---- Mulitball Score Multiplier - using the whirlpool bowl spins

and more....

#13 7 years ago

Agree about the fan layout games. If you already have one or more, get CFTBL. I had CFTBL first, had AFM prob 10 years but let it go after getting MET Premium. Also have had MB about 10 years. Love the theme/humor on AFM, fun game, but don't need 3 or 4 fan layouts. Got offered almost 3 times what I paid for it, couldn't say no.

#14 7 years ago
#15 7 years ago

I will always want an AFM. Although it's an easier shooting pin, it's incredible fun. SM is very similar and has a third flipper and deeper rules, but AFM has aliens, humor, 90s cheese. It's top on my list.

Creech is, well, unique. Rules are simple. Playfield is dark and crowded. Shots are repetitive. It plays damn tough too, which it should, to match the shallow rules. I hated after a month. There's a only so many times you can "spell k-i-s-s with 4 shots...shoot rollovers with 4 shots...shoot snackbar 4 times" Over and over and over.

#16 7 years ago

I currently own 2 pins, and they are these 2. Like others have said, they are very different games. I think both are great, but I personally like AFM better.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

I currently own 2 pins, and they are these 2. Like others have said, they are very different games. I think both are great, but I personally like AFM better.

Good 2 pins to own as they are total opposites. But man afm has great code and if set up correctly is very difficult to beat mars and rtu. I have ton of plays on mine and haven't beat it yet and it kicks my ass regularly.

#18 7 years ago
#19 7 years ago

I love my creech and would really love a AFM

#20 7 years ago

I own both and AFM wins by miles. Creature is not a bad game but can get boring because you always have to do the same. Go for multiball and get jackpots. AFM has very good flow and is more complex (but not too much). Has good humor, 4 different multibals and for me it's the best pin ever produced.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from OlDirty:

I own both and AFM wins by miles. Creature is not a bad game but can get boring because you always have to do the same. Go for multiball and get jackpots. AFM has very good flow and is more complex (but not too much). Has good humor, 4 different multibals and for me it's the best pin ever produced.

Actually 5 mb modes.

#22 7 years ago

Two prime examples of the best theme development ever done by BW. Gameplay overall IMO is much better on AFM. That said, CFTBL is a great example of hard, kick your butt, gotta play one more time multiball oriented pin.

Go AFM then get CFTBL later.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

You can get a nice afm for 6-7 depending on mods . Most cftbl are 4500-6 now depending on mods so imo for a little more you can get afm which is a much better playing pin with probably the best code of the 90s.. Dont get me wrong creech is cool pin but theres not alot to do and rules/code really lack on it considerably.

I don't recall ever seeing a AFM going for $6000. Ones I see that go for $7000+ are not that pristine. I just can't see spending that kind of money on any pin. Maybe someday when the kids are out of the house and it's a restored. Even then, I think I would rather have a brand new premium pin.

#24 7 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. These are VERY different games. I love my CFTBL. IT has great theme integration, is challenging, very unique layout, great music, callouts, etc...

I also love AFM and it's right at the top of my wishlist. It's really the ultimate fan layout.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I don't recall ever seeing a AFM going for $6000. Ones I see that go for $7000+ are not that pristine. I just can't see spending that kind of money on any pin. Maybe someday when the kids are out of the house and it's a restored. Even then, I think I would rather have a brand new premium pin.

They are out there i picked a nice one up for fair price and have a friend that just got one ..both very nice for under 7k with great upgrades. Patience is key.

#26 7 years ago

I'd say neither. I don't care for either one. CFTBL is cluttered and code is bland, and AFM has an empty playfield and feels cheaper than any other B/W title made.

#27 7 years ago

Op, I guess it boils down to what you want. AFM is deeper, and the rules have more substance to them, but the playfield is simple and somewhat uninspired. That isn't a bad thing, however, since sometimes simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Creature is a little cluttered, but it's complexity is what makes it really fun to shoot at. I think the art package on creature is among the best of any pin as well. Absolutely gorgeous.

If it were me deciding between the two, I think my decision would come down to how large or diverse my collection is. In larger collections, I might have to go with creature, but in smaller collections, I'd rather have AFM.

#28 7 years ago

The OP probably should have asked, "Should I get a $4500+ CFTBL or a $7000+ AFM?"

If all things are equal, opinions are going to swing toward AFM. However, this isn't a "Which is better?" question, this is a "Which should I buy?" question. Makes a big difference.

#29 7 years ago

You can't go wrong on either choice. It depends on your finances. Both are excellent games.

#30 7 years ago

It would definitely help to know the machines in your collection already.

The more unique and challenging game is Creature. The easier and more standard game is AFM.

AFM while maybe technically deeper, is also much much easier. Pound on the middle, over and over again. Start multiball with an easy return shot, over and over and over again, and eventually everything will be ready for RTU (if not, start MB a time or two more and it will be...same shot that returns to the flipper). Standard MB where you complete the shots and there's a moving SJP. Then you continue to beat on the middle over and over again to Attack Mars. It has killer sound effects and voices, great humor, and is a very enjoyable game. But because of the repetition and return shots, it got stale really fast in my collection. (I also owned MM for 9 years, prior, which didn't help). I would get to RTU almost every session I played, and more often than not, you RTU when you get there. The roving shot on SJP, and the 5-way combo are about the biggest challenges it offers.

CFTBL is much more a sure shot oriented game. You have to hit the right shots at the right time, or nothing really happens for you score wise. You can't just beat on it until Multiballs rain from the sky. And the multi is a 2-ball only, very challenging. The Creature is in the different spot every time, and while Rescue and JP are easy enough, the SJP is difficult as is the maximum multiplier with the left ramp Swamp shots. Achieving 5x SJP is more difficult than any achievement in AFM. The art is gorgeous, fun 50's music, which rotates every day to keep from getting too stale, and a layered theme which is just perfectly integrated.

Again, it really depends on your collection. If you do not have any of the standard fan layouts, then AFM will be a lot of fun for you and your friends. It's not nearly as frustrating as Creature. If you aren't hitting your shots, then Creature will just spit you out dry....while AFM will still let you destroy a couple saucers and probably still start a MB or two. If you already have SM, MET, MB, MM, etc...any of those, then I'd go with Creature (and save $$).

Good luck!

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Actually 5 mb modes.

Regular, Martian, Total Annihilation, Strobe....and?

Are you counting RTU?

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Regular, Martian, Total Annihilation, Strobe....and?
Are you counting RTU?

Yes y wldnt it count?

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

It would definitely help to know the machines in your collection already.
The more unique and challenging game is Creature. The easier and more standard game is AFM.
AFM while maybe technically deeper, is also much much easier. Pound on the middle, over and over again. Start multiball with an easy return shot, over and over and over again, and eventually everything will be ready for RTU (if not, start MB a time or two more and it will be...same shot that returns to the flipper). Standard MB where you complete the shots and there's a moving SJP. Then you continue to beat on the middle over and over again to Attack Mars. It has killer sound effects and voices, great humor, and is a very enjoyable game. But because of the repetition and return shots, it got stale really fast in my collection. (I also owned MM for 9 years, prior, which didn't help). I would get to RTU almost every session I played, and more often than not, you RTU when you get there. The roving shot on SJP, and the 5-way combo are about the biggest challenges it offers.
CFTBL is much more a sure shot oriented game. You have to hit the right shots at the right time, or nothing really happens for you score wise. You can't just beat on it until Multiballs rain from the sky. And the multi is a 2-ball only, very challenging. The Creature is in the different spot every time, and while Rescue and JP are easy enough, the SJP is difficult as is the maximum multiplier with the left ramp Swamp shots. Achieving 5x SJP is more difficult than any achievement in AFM. The art is gorgeous, fun 50's music, which rotates every day to keep from getting too stale, and a layered theme which is just perfectly integrated.
Again, it really depends on your collection. If you do not have any of the standard fan layouts, then AFM will be a lot of fun for you and your friends. It's not nearly as frustrating as Creature. If you aren't hitting your shots, then Creature will just spit you out dry....while AFM will still let you destroy a couple saucers and probably still start a MB or two. If you already have SM, MET, MB, MM, etc...any of those, then I'd go with Creature (and save $$).
Good luck!

Weird i beat creech alot in the time i owned it and have yet to beat afm and have put alot more games on afm. The center shot in afm is very dangerous and normally leads to a drain which is what makes it difficult. That and any missed shot seems to drain bc the game is so dang fast and brutal. Maybe its just my afm but i have yet to see anyone do well on it where as my non pinball playing friends did well on creech.

#34 7 years ago

Two of my favorite games. I love walking up to either of these and pressing start!

#35 7 years ago

Which of the following is the most realistic?

A) $4500 CFTBL and $7500 AFM = CFTBL
B) $4500 AFM and $7500 CFTBL = AFM
C) $4500 CFTBL and $4500 AFM = AFM
D) $7500 CFTBL and $7500 AFM = AFM

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Which of the following is the most realistic?
A) $4500 CFTBL and $7500 AFM = CFTBL
B) $4500 AFM and $7500 CFTBL = AFM
C) $4500 CFTBL and $4500 AFM = AFM
D) $7500 CFTBL and $7500 AFM = AFM

I'm gonna go with C. I paid 5k for my AFM earlier this year.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm gonna go with C. I paid 5k for my AFM earlier this year.

So if the OP can find a $5k AFM, that should be his choice.

#38 7 years ago

I prefer Creech.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

So if the OP can find a $5k AFM, that should be his choice.

Exactamundo. Or even a 6k AFM. Or 7...or 8...

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Exactamundo. Or even a 6k AFM. Or 7...or 8...

Agreed i got a beautiful one for below 7k with lots mods. Also had another friend recently get one similar to mine for less than 6500. Deals are out there and its well worth the wait to find a decent deal on one imo.

#41 7 years ago

I love creature- a great game but AFM is imho the best pinball game probably. Just an unbelievable game.

#42 7 years ago

I enjoyed Creech when I had it, but could never figure out what that third ball was for.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Agreed i got a beautiful one for below 7k with lots mods. Also had another friend recently get one similar to mine for less than 6500. Deals are out there and its well worth the wait to find a decent deal on one imo.

Just for fun: was the seller of your game a regular on Pinside, or did your deal originate off of Pinside?

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Just for fun: was the seller of your game a regular on Pinside, or did your deal originate off of Pinside?

I rarely buy off pinside bc its usually the highest price place for anything lol. Most people ive meant and delt with are on here tho.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I enjoyed Creech when I had it, but could never figure out what that third ball was for.

Apparently it was supposed to have a 3 ball mb but they decided it was to much for the cramped playfield....

#46 7 years ago

Don't think you can go wrong with either. Creech has my nod on looks.

#47 7 years ago

I started doing the math when I decided to sell my AFM. Sold it and got a Tri Zone, Old Chicago, Cybernaut and Jet Spin and took a nice 3 day vacation with rge wife. Gonna get some new tower speakers and sub for the surround sound and still gonna have about $3500 left to buy more games.

Is AFM a good game? Hell yes. Is it as good as having 6 or 7 other didferent games? Debatable.

Nevertheless, I still miss it sometimes. Luckily there are lots around to play.

#48 7 years ago

I have owned both for years. As a collector nether will leave my collection . As a player . Creature from the Black Lagoon has been played more over the years than my Attack from Mars . Hard choice . Good luck .

100_0033 (resized).JPG100_0033 (resized).JPG

100_0364 (resized).JPG100_0364 (resized).JPG

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I started doing the math when I decided to sell my AFM. Sold it and got a Tri Zone, Old Chicago, Cybernaut and Jet Spin and took a nice 3 day vacation with rge wife. Gonna get some new tower speakers and sub for the surround sound and still gonna have about $3500 left to buy more games.
Is AFM a good game? Hell yes. Is it as good as having 6 or 7 other didferent games? Debatable.
Nevertheless, I still miss it sometimes. Luckily there are lots around to play.

Definitely worth it when you have a full house and can only fit 8-9 pins max lol

#50 7 years ago

CFTBL has really been growing on me lately! I really love both games!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 24.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-or-afm-which-to-buy-opinions-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.