Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by saucerman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

At start up my creature starts popping looking for a missing ball, yet all 3 are in the return, any clue as to what might be happening here...just started out of the blue

appreciate any advice

#2 8 years ago
#3 8 years ago

Usually a missing ball is from a trough switch not registering. Pull the balls out. Put the game in switch test mode. Drop 1 ball at a time in the outhole and see what happens.

The first ball should trigger trough switch 3 - 2 - 1
Second ball 3 - 2
Third ball 3

or whatever the associated switches are. You get the point. See if one is missing.

#4 8 years ago

Looks light Left trough 58, center trough 57, right trough 56.

#5 8 years ago

thanks for the advice....i will check it out and let you know...thanks...much appreciated

#6 8 years ago

Okay, I placed the unit in test mode, it seems like the lower half of the playfield - the switches do not work, ball troughs, exit and return lanes on both right and left side...they all stay open....could this be a fuse?

#7 8 years ago

No, most likely a wire. You have lost all of the switches in column 5 of the switch matrix.

Game Off - Open the head, go to the CPU board. Locate connector J205 [near bottom] and check wire #5. It is a green wire with a black stripe. It is probably loose. Or the connector itself. First push the connector in and see if it was loose.

Then, with a small flat blade screwdriver like a jeweler's push the wire in so it seems seated.

Turn game on and do the switch test again. This is the easiest of the solutions since the IDC connectors stink and wires do come loose.

It could also be a broken wire going to the first switch in the chain and if something really bad it could be a failure on the CPU for the switch matrix (LM339 chip or something).

But don't panic. The wire is the most common problem.

#8 7 years ago

thanks for the insight....you are correct it was the entire column 5, green black wire....I could not find a break in the wire so it looks like the chip ULN2803, which is under a dollar and by chance I do have one....though my soldering skills are not fully up to par....I'll probably have a friend of mine do this for me. I'll let you know how it goes....probably get to it next week

again appreciate the help

#9 7 years ago

First do a continuity check from the J205 plug wire 5 to one of the switches where the wire attaches. That let's you know there is no break.

Also do a continuity check from the J205 pin 5 to the chip leg it is supposed to go to. I've had torn traces under a poorly replaced header that didn't cause problems for year.

Yes it could be the 2803 but it also could be a LM339. I'd have to check the schematics to get more specific. Either way clip the cheap chip out and remove clean without damaging the board. Don't try and remove the entire chip at once since you are tossing it anyway. Solder in a socket so you don't heat damage the chip. Double check socket and chip for direction.

Good luck.

#10 7 years ago

Any battery corrosion on the MPU board? If you are not sure, you can post a picture for us.

4 months later
#11 7 years ago

It's been awhile but finally my pin is back up and running...it was indeed LM339...now everything is back to the way it was...

appreciated your help

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Boards
PinSound

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 27.95
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-missing-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.