10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by TomGWI
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mjwilliams.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I am hoping to get additional direction before I plunk down the cash for a new transformer. I've been chasing this ghost on and off for better than a month. The original problem resulted in having to replace the power driver board. After I put the new board in and replaced all the Molex connectors that connected to the new board, the pin would randomly reboot after a couple minutes of play. I figured out that I had a GI problem. The machine behaves perfectly normal if I disconnect the connector going to J115, which is traces back entirely to the GI circuit off the transformer. I thought it was the board or one of the outbound connections from the board (J119,120, & 121) but those all checked out fine.

I finally thought to check the voltage coming out of the transformer. I checked the continuity of each circuit back to the 9 pin connector on the transformer. I made my measurements of the GI yellow white circuit by disconnecting the 9 pin connector coming right off the transformer. Three of the pins are only putting out 4.2 volts (those that connect to white/brown, white/orange, & white/yellow) while the other four pins are only putting out 1.3 volts (yellow, brown, green, & orange). I thought this was supposed to be a parallel circuit (in the transformer) so they all should be putting the out same voltage(?)

According to be schematic all the connections on J 115 are supposed to be a 6.8 V. I figure unloaded i should probably be seeing greater than 7V on the circuit, not the oddball voltages I measured. (I also checked it with my oscilloscope and the signal is clean and steady, just really low voltage.)

Any thoughts about something else I could be missing? I would appreciate any feedback!

#7 10 years ago

I have to check this out tomorrow because it's an 18 hour day at work today, but I will follow up with answers and a better description tomorrow night. Thank you for your help!!!

#8 10 years ago

Yay! (and Dangnabbit!)
tullster and TomGWI got it right, I mixed up the wires when I redid the MOLEX
At least I don't need to replace the transformer.

FYI it is a brand new Rottendog board
Now I am back to the original reset problem.
Off to pinwiki
Thank you guys!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

€ 24.00
$ 45.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mjwilliams.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-i-think-i-need-to-replace-my-transformer?tu=mjwilliams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.