Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7429 (resized).JPG
Capture_(resized).PNG
Capture_(resized).PNG
IMG_20160630_185408553_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
Fezzik_Creature_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rappelbox.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hi folks!

I'm planning on reviving the famous Hologram-Mod for the CftbL. I thought a lot about it and came to the conclusion that it's absolutely worth it!!!

It will include everything you need to install it directly into your Cab, except for the videos(for now)!
So you'll receive a ready-to-use set including monitor, power supply etc.

If everything works as I excpect it, it will also be possible to adapt this Mod to other Pinballs like AC/DC eg.!!!

Licensing of parts of the movie is very complicated and i'm still calling around the world, as no one seems to be responsible or has the actual rights for licensing or is willing to pick up the phone.

So if you are interested, keep an eye on this thread
If you have some interesting tips regarding features or other stuff feel free to drop me a line.

Actual state: Proof of concept is in the works, collecting prices for components and shipping.
Collecting number of interested users

Actual state:2016/07/05

Preorder is available from now on only on http://www.GermanGamingSupplies.com

Until my Mod is not in Stock, preorder price is 20 EUR lower than the normal price would be later.
The first 20 "Early Birds" using "Creature" as Kupon name also receive another 20 EUR DISCOUNT on top!

The cheaper parts are already on their way, but for Monitors/RaspberryPis in larger quantities I need your support/preorder.

Paypment is secured via PayPal.

Greetings from good old Germany,
Dom

#33 7 years ago

Thank you all for your support so far and so fast!!!

Well, there will be some videos on the device! these will be some basic water ripples and so on...
The systems allows it easily to use your own footage
More details on that will follow as soon as we finalize our concept.
Power supply will be provided via service supply, not through coin door and power board.

Time schedule:
• proof-of-concept within 1 week
• re-checking avaibility of parts, production cost etc.
• ready-to-ship product by the end of July +- some days

Just to make things very clear:
This is no Rip-Off of MikeD's work, it's just inspired by it!
I don't have his mod my hands nor do i have access to it...
Everything is programmed from ZERO

Greets,
Dom

#55 7 years ago

Screensaver-Mode works already...
Simple trigger test will follow today, together with a short video if I manage to get it working!

Greets,
Dom

1 week later
#67 7 years ago

Small Update:

Proof-of-Concept is working as excpected!
Video won't be posted until i made new clips without copyrighted material... Sorry, but this is for my own protection!

There will be 2 available options, w or w/o Screen. This should be in the interest especially from the overseas-countries to keep shipping costs and taxes etc. low The excact requirements for your own LCD will be provided as soon as the first prototypes are working!
And here comes a little problem. Actually, I don't have a creature here... cross your fingers that I'll get the one that was offered to me. I'm preparing everything I can, but excact measurements, test etc aren't meaningful at this time.
Maybe someone would lend me his machine?

Oh, almost forgot something...
You can easily import your own videos!
A layer mask will be provided for free, a tutorial for creating videos with a freeware tool (shotcut) also.
I'll add some stock videos to every device, so you don't have to mess with creating vids.

Greets,
Dom

#69 7 years ago

In the range as the old one was , but nothing final as long as i'm still prototyping

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Best of luck Dom, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thanks Mike!
You inspired me to do this...

Greets,
Dom

#82 7 years ago

On my testing rig there is a delay of approx 200-300ms and NO black screen, stuttering or other issues in that direction

Depending on how the machine will behave exactly, it looks very promising.

Greets,
Dom

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from nodder:

Hey Dom,
great news, finally. Please add me to the list!
For the sake of Creech, you can come and pick up my machine in Munich.
Alex

Wow, what an offer! Thanx!!! With a little luck i'll have access to 4 different machines.
2 for buying, 1 borrowed aprox 100km from me and finally yours... so many to choose from and what a hard decision...
I'm really uncertain what to do?!
I LOVE the Creech, but at this point blocking so much money by buying one?! Maybe i'll ramp up with a video artist, cutter, another programmer etc...
On the other hand, nothing is more satisfying than owning one little beast.
What would you do?

Greetings,
Dom

#92 7 years ago

A very generous guy not very far away from me lends me his machine! I can't tell you how happy I am that this all is happening so fast...

I already have different monitors to test, testing circuit is prepared, software is being improved within the next couple of weeks, including update function, copyright protection and so on...
Maybe I'll get support from a video artist I have absolutely no time for that
Plus a lot of other work to do including Pin2dmd sets soldering and shipping!

Despite that, my timing schedule is pretty stiff, but should be manageable.

Greetings,
Dom

1 week later
#94 7 years ago

Yes, good and bad:
Bad is that still a lot of tweaking is needed, some videos trigger when the shouldn't and player detection is not working as expected...
Good is, machine stands in my office and is accessible at any time!

I didn't expect it to work from the beginning, but progress is good.
Still no videos for you to show, but also no deposit or preorder needed

Greetings,
Dom

1 week later
#100 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

There needs to be a "base cost" on the unit addressed, as this mod is not cheap to produce now.
Gathering up all the components needs to be prototyped, which takes time.
I missed my window of opportunity the first time around, but there were not that many made.
If I commit, I buy.

You are right!
Before i can ramp up production I indeed will need indee some preorders including a payment.
Base components can be in store, that's not a big deal, but Monitors etc. are heavy money storage!
But I won't collect orders before I can't ensure that the units are shipped in an appropiate time window.
I don't want to be mentioned in the same manner as e.g. Hobbit pinball

#115 7 years ago

New testing monitor is on the way FullHd!!!
If my measurement is correct almost the whole screen is used.
There will be a option available without monitor, but I have to decide if this option also will feature a mount, as normally everything will be mounted together.

Last days I must admit have been a bit "lazy"!
With the new week, I can start with new motivation

Greetings,
Dom

2 weeks later
#130 7 years ago

Hey, this Thread is about the lcd Monitor mod
Not the replacement hologram
But anyways, I like both.
To speed up development I have teamed up with a hardware developer...
On Monday there will be a meeting with a video artist to check possibilities about using
Videos without violating copyrights and serving cool videos at the same time!

Greetings,
Dom

#134 7 years ago

I know the title of the thread, I created it

#136 7 years ago

Installation of your own videos is really simple:
There are several folders on the device.
Each folder represents a game state, like "shoot left ramp", " shoot right ramp", attract mode, creature found etc.

You can put your own videos in every folder and these will then be played randomly when the action happens.
How do I put videos in what kind of folder?
It's a provided usb-stick. Normal way would be to remove the stick from the device and put it in your pc. There you can copy your files.
2nd option is a wireless connection, which will be available optionally.

I made more progress, and the kit will be ready for preorder within the next 2 weeks.

Greetings,
Dom

#140 7 years ago

Preorder is available from now on only on www.GermanGamingSupplies.com

Until my Mod is not in Stock, preorder price is 20 EUR lower than the normal price would be later.
The first 20 "Early Birds" using "Creature" as Kupon name also receive another 20 EUR DISCOUNT on top!

The cheaper parts are already on their way, but for Monitors/RaspberryPis in larger orders i need your support/preorder.

Paypment is secured via PayPal.

Greetings,
Dom

Video size is 1080p, Format is *.mp4 (h.264)
If you create your own videos or get them from "somewhere else" please keep in mind that the content (not the video format!!!) has to be rotated 90° clockwise!

#142 7 years ago

In the works

#144 7 years ago

removed the option without monitor

#147 7 years ago

I think you misinterpreted my instruction above.
I was speaking about a discount for people buying an unreleased product + extra discount for the first 20 people!
There is no mention about a deposit.

Greetings,
Dom

#149 7 years ago

Réunion is added
International prices are without VAT, you'll see at checkout.

Greetings,
Dom

#152 7 years ago

After some small issues with US customers, it seems to be almost fixed.
PayPal has some issues with the address, state seems to be mandatory for the US, which is fixed now...

Only a few slots left for the "early bird" promotion

#154 7 years ago

Added

#156 7 years ago

Of course, if there's demand...

Greetings,
Dom

Edit: Done!

1 week later
#162 7 years ago

Yes,

Working on it

the higher resolution even on a smaller panel (1280x800 on 10inch for simplier testing)
is very promising!

Software is improved further:
-Update option via USB in a single file
-copyright protection, but simple restore if card or Pi is broken
-possible config file for your own likes
-Wifi option

Hardware:
-Powersupply connected to pinball main power
-no-soldering

Greetings,
Dom

#164 7 years ago

I love those people without own ideas.

Maybe you are right, maybe not.
No one was ever forced to preorder but the amount of people that already preordered prove that I'm right.
Besides that, preorders are needed to pay bills of video artist, hardware engineer, order parts, commence production and so on.
If you had ever produced something yourself you would know about that.

The reason I'm posting so few snippets and info is simple: it's not finished yet, and what I show is only a technical preview, not in terms of design and video. These infos won't show up until it's finished. The reason is simple: videos etc are provided, but not the center of the project, it is its capability, interchangeability to other machines and some other technical things.

If you want to "warn" people about that fact, feel free to do so, otherwise why just simply ignore my thread?!
If you are concerned about reputation, I have send more than 150 pin2dmd devices, parts, displays etc to most parts of Europe.

Just to let YOU know and the other guy from Bristol!

For all of my customers:
If I weren't sure I could do it, I'd never asked for preorder.
I'm not promising things I can't fulfill, nor am I ripping off someone's money or things like that.

Greetings,
Dom

Edit:
Dear rubberducks,
I remember that you were asked in the rgb dmd thread to help develop and test things out. Ever since then there was no single line of code from you, no constructive suggestion or similar things!

#167 7 years ago

No, I'm NOT reverse engineering!

I understand all the concerns and doubts about it.
I don't wanted to feed the troll and must admit that I hate these types of conversations.
J_m, I know what you are doing. People like you inspire me and help going the way I want to go.

The monitor is going to be 14 inch full HD

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Looks great ,
I believe you will be overwhelmed with orders

Thanks for support, but it's actually not my intention

Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

I am excited about getting one. Was waiting on MikeD's for about a year, and it sounds like this will be better.

Thank you, too!
Reviving is my main goal!
Because it is completely newly developed, I put in my own thoughts and ideas.

For all who doubt: I don't have one of mikes mods here, so i can't rip it off, even if i liked to.

Greetings,
Dom

OT:
In terms of money: it's none of YOUR business how i do MY business!
This doesn't belong here.
Like I said before, no one is forced to preorder.

#175 7 years ago

So, let's answer some questions:

-as long as there is demand I'm hopefully able to produce some batches of 20-30 pieces. But I can't guarantee that for now!
-Australia added already
-monitor will be 14 inch, only demo shows 10 inch for testing purposes.
-there will be a creature, but if it's "the" creature I can't say for now. This is part of copyright protected stuff and I have to figure out. Like I said before, there is always the option to add your own videos, or replace mine.

Greetings,
Dom

1 month later
#207 7 years ago

Hello folks.

At very first: I understand all your concerns and doubts.

The mod has to be delayed for personal reasons! Those will be explained later.
1. No money is lost. For those who preordered, i will fully refund if you wish, no excuse, waiting or something else.
All, who already paid will be informed separately via mail.

I'm NOT gambling with your money, on holidays or else. Everything is still in my account.

2. The Mod is not dead but delayed around 2 months.
The above mentioned delay of 2 months is mostly because of a slow down in my personal living. I cannot concentrate several hours at a time anymore. To prevent ALL my projects and products from being faulty, I had to make that decision.

3. It's still being developed!
That means in detail that whenever it's possible I work on it. Until my other big project (Sega 192x64 Display) is not in production state from manufacturer everything is going slow.
Actual state is that the firmware is being programmed with the mentioned features.
It is still under construction, but will be capable of beeing transferred to other pinball machines.

Why is everything so slow?
To explain: I quit my job last year because of mobbing and massive depression caused by that. Medicine and doctors helped making a good start from there, but unfortunately there are sometimes flashbacks I cannot bypass.
These moments make it very hard and I must admit that I was and am still working on too many different things.
I cannot fullfill the given time schedule I made myself and that makes it even worse!

So, if you feel you need to bash, ok, I asume I deserve it.

I had not announced this mod if I weren't sure it could be done again!
And I still believe in it.

Best regards,
Dom

2 weeks later
#216 7 years ago

I refunded all open cases for now.
Like I said, it's not dead but delayed.

And sorry again for bad communication.

Greetings,
Dom

7 months later
#223 6 years ago

I will make no more announcements until it's finished, but YES I'm still working on it!

Had some changes to do but wait what will come...

10 months later
#227 6 years ago

Coming...
Don’t buy other solutions before tpf

2 weeks later
#230 6 years ago

Well, let’s say it this way:

Im again working on it. I changed to a complete new system which gives me finally the ability and flexibility this mod deserves. The best thing about it is that you don’t need to tap into the lamp/switch matrix, no power surge from an already highly used low power line.

2 more things to notice:
1. the mod consists of 2 parts, a base unit with power supply and the monitor/mounting bracket.

2. I’m was in talks with swinks who may develop and produce a mounting bracket. I think he is the no.1 source for a real quality product and I’d be happy if he would work on it.

The most „delicate“ part are indeed the videos... I have complete access to a well known set of videos but I WONT use them in respect to the original creator.
And I need to make maybe a dozen more, if that’s even enough!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rappelbox.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-hologram-mod-revival?tu=Rappelbox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.