Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by NM
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Howzit guys, If there are any hologram experts please chime in. As I sit here in the middle of a hot day in a dark boarded up house, (im waiting for the two hurricanes to hit the islands in the next day or two) I decided to upload this video of my cftbl, the hologram doesnt work but I dont understand why. Im new to this. The light comes on, the mirror moves, the creature is there if I shine flashlight in coin door, but when I turn on test mode I dont see him. The only thing I can think of is the light is hitting the mirror in the wrong spot, is this possible? A video is worth a thousand words, please watch.

#2 5 years ago

Do you have an upgraded subwoofer speaker in your cabinet? It looks very large! It's blocking the light path to the mirror I think. Video is quick in that area but that's what it looks like to me.

#3 5 years ago

Ill go look Gnatty, brb.

#4 5 years ago

It does look like that woofer is blocking a lot of light, could be wrong but looks that way. With the PF down and running test, open coin door and look straight in, is light blocked? Peek around the mirror to see....

#5 5 years ago

Gnatty, i removed the subwoofer/speaker and still cant see it. You were right though, the speaker doesnt look stock. If you have any other ideas please let me know.

#6 5 years ago

Is the silver reflector plate there at the bulb socket or is it missing?

#7 5 years ago

Loosen the bolts on the mirror base, angle it back a little and see if the angle is off. Loosen then drop the playfield down and experiment with different angles. I added a couple washers to mine and it improved it dramatically. I also upgraded the light to an LED lamp. Is the Hologram bracket bent to a wrong angle?

#8 5 years ago

silver reflector plate? where/what is that? thanks for any help

#9 5 years ago

when I said plate, picture the chrome dish as if you are looking into the front of a flashlight, the dish that reflects the light forwards. Also as Gnatty stated check the angle of the light beam and at some point get a LED lamp, if you creature is a little blueish tint get a green LED lamp.

#10 5 years ago

I see possible two issues

- You have a faded hologram
- The Subwoofer "might" be blocking the light.

I would recommend that you install the Halogen lamp mod. If will add the needed punch you need to see it.

#11 5 years ago

ill be back in 30mins with a better video. where do i get lamp mod?

#13 5 years ago

ok heres a slower video. do think this bulb is a upgraded one? it looks new to me, the wire on it is very clean and white.

#14 5 years ago

I think maybe it's a combination of a few things, woofer blocking light along with weak incondescent bulb and a worn out dark hologram. Loosen the screw at the base of the mirror that attach it to the cabinet. This will allow you to pivot the assembly towards the coin door and adjust the angle a bit. See if that helps. Also, place a bright flashlight in the cabinet closer to the mirror and see if you can see the hologram through the playfield window. Be sure to put it at the same level as the existing one. Experiment a little with that to determine if the original set up is not bright enough, or off angle or getting blocked

#15 5 years ago

ok ill try some of that and see. If the woofer needs replacement, any particular kind i should buy? is it supposed to sit in the hole, or on top like it is? thanks

#16 5 years ago

are there replacement holograms?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Kahanaohana:

are there replacement holograms?

that's a loaded question.

#19 5 years ago

If you have the money just get the LCD upgrade from here on Pinside . It looks really awesome

#20 5 years ago

I'll try to upload a before an after halogen lamp upgrade so you can make a decision

#21 5 years ago

Before

#22 5 years ago

After

#23 5 years ago

Keep in mind, that your hologram will probably not look green but more like a dark blue whenever you light it up since it is faded

#24 5 years ago

I looked at your second video and you might have a halogen bulb already in place, i could not tell. If you already have the Halogen bulb then you might be up a creek unfortunately

#25 5 years ago

i think it is a aftermarket halogen bulb. does this mean the hologram is just too faded? I can only see him if i put a bright flashlight right on him.

#26 5 years ago

how much is the lcd upgrade?

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Kahanaohana:

how much is the lcd upgrade?

It will run around $500 by the time you are done and they are not available at this moment.

#28 5 years ago

Yea the upgrade is pricy but to find an original hologram is even more and that is if you can even find one .

#29 5 years ago

This might sound stupid but thought I'd throw this out there too, did you check the angle of the mirror to see if it is throwing the light up onto the hologram?

and Pinball Decals Inc has a repo hologram but they are expensive:

http://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/CFTBL_Page.html#

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

and Pinball Decals Inc has a repo hologram but they are expensive:

At that price I would wait for the mod remake.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

At that price I would wait for the mod remake.

absolutely!

#32 5 years ago

after looking at your 2nd video, I would check the alignment of the bulb inside of the light tunnel. when you panned towards it, it looked like the light was being directed towards the front right corner of the cabinet and not directly straight forward.

the angle might be off just enough that the mirror isn't picking up the light to direct it onto the hologram. additionally, your hologram looks on its way out since your creature shows up a dark blue (when hit with the full intensity of your flashlight).

I'll try and throw my machine back together this evening to the point where I can shoot a video of the hologram test mode and you can see how my bulb, light tunnel and mirror are arranged.

lastly, I would take a clean microfiber cloth and attempt to clean your mirror (be careful. it's made of plastic, not glass). like most routed machines, it looks like years of dust and grime have accumulated on it, which can also affect the light being directed towards the hologram.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

Do you have an upgraded subwoofer speaker in your cabinet? It looks very large! It looks like it's blocking the light path to the mirror.

I purchased a complete Pinball Pro speaker kit for CFTBL but installed it in TZ instead when I saw that the sub would have blocked the lamp for the hologram.

Quoted from DeathHimself:

Did you check the angle of the mirror to see if it is throwing the light up onto the hologram?

That's what I thought from seeing your video: it looked like the mirror angle was too vertical to shine much light up at the hologram.

#34 5 years ago

thanks guys, ill do some tweeking of components today and see.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I purchased a complete Pinball Pro speaker kit for CFTBL but installed it in TZ instead when I saw that the sub would have blocked the lamp for the hologram.

I have a Pinball Pro in mine and it works just fine. I did upgrade to an led spotlight and all works fine.

#36 5 years ago

A hologram that has deteriorated to the point where it's still blue during gameplay with factory lighting will appear perfectly green in sunlight as shown in the link below.

Since yours is black during gameplay, but when you hit it with a flashlight it's blue instead of green, hope I'm wrong but my guess would be it has deteriorated beyond being usable--but obviously try the suggested green-up kit/mirror adjustments to see if an image is produced.

You might also see how yours looks in sunlight just for a direct comparison to below, but I'm thinking your flashlight was probably sufficient.

http://www.iobium.com/creature_hologram.htm

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside