P1080715 copy.jpg
347173-i.jpg
59Cad4Dr01.jpg
tail light mod 2.png
tail light mod.png
P1080641 copy.jpg
P1080643 copy.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I am pretty stoked about this one and went through many revisions over a number of months doodling ideas, moddling 3 different designs, and settled on what I think is cool. I was stoked to get the package today and get some photos but first a little fun.

Hint 1 - page K of the manual
Hint 2 - won't obstruct the view of the playfield
Hint 3 - has 2 globes in it

screen-capture-7.pngscreen-capture-7.png

#2 9 years ago

here are some install shots and I got 3 different colour bodies, but there are about 8 to choose from.

from the playfields point of view there is no obstruction of view and since it is fastened down with one screw it can pivot or be located elsewhere.

one photo sort of shows the **shininess** of the pure silver tail light with the others having the flash on takes the bling away from it, but it does look very cool.

P1080645 copy.jpgP1080645 copy.jpg
P1080644 copy.jpgP1080644 copy.jpg
P1080643 copy.jpgP1080643 copy.jpg
P1080639 copy.jpgP1080639 copy.jpg

there is one lens inside the mod but 2 bulb holders so one for the bullet tail light lens and one for the tall tail light section.

on the weekend I will do the wiring and hook up the bullet to "move your car" and the tall lens section to parking ok.

please excuse the worn condition of my creech, is being over hauled in the near future.

P1080651 copy.jpgP1080651 copy.jpg
P1080641 copy.jpgP1080641 copy.jpg

#3 9 years ago

golden globe trophy?

#4 9 years ago

movie reels?

#5 9 years ago

nice idea but no.

Hint 4 - high quality shiny polished pure silver (metal) but custom designed and made, no off the shelf items

#6 9 years ago

Car lights

#7 9 years ago

could be - what sort?

Hint 5 - ties in with 2 inserts near the snackbar hole #@#

#8 9 years ago

Pink Caddy bullet taillights

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_erie:

Pink Caddy bullet taillights

Dam Close pinball_erie , thanks for playing

CFTBL - Tail Light Mod

Basically my own vision of a tail light with grabs from different cars. The bullet shaped globe can be hooked up to a playfield globe and then the tall tail brake light can be hooked up to another globe. Very simple install, 1 screw to fasten it to a post and one other screw to close it up. Also there are 2-3 posts in the game so a few options for installation.

I tried to design it so it looked clean, **shiny** and not obstructing the playfield nor too much of a particular plastic. Yes I have one of the car mods with tiny leds but you lose some playfield view which just bugged me.

More info to come, I just got to find time to hook it up......

mystery mod ;).jpgmystery mod .jpg Tail Light Mod - 2 lenses.jpgTail Light Mod - 2 lenses.jpg Tail Light Mod - red.jpgTail Light Mod - red.jpg Tail Light Mod - yellow.jpgTail Light Mod - yellow.jpg
#10 9 years ago

Looks really good, get some install pics up soon !!

#11 9 years ago

I forgot to take a photo of the how the body fastens to the silver tail light - 1 single screw hidden at the front. The additional hole is for the wiring to come out of and tucked away to it's power source.tail light mod 2.pngtail light mod 2.pngtail light mod.pngtail light mod.png

#12 9 years ago

Cool idea and nice looking fins.

#13 9 years ago

Cool. Can't wait to see more.

#14 9 years ago

Like the idea - yellow looks very cool.
If possible I would make the body a bit longer to look more like this and mount to the lock nut position

59Cad4Dr01.jpg59Cad4Dr01.jpg 347173-i.jpg347173-i.jpg
#15 9 years ago

My original idea was longer and actually had a slight recess in it like the chevy fin to have a sign decal "Tail Fin Park" in it but when installed the size was just too over powering. Since you need to cater for lights, thin walls and interlocking parts, fasten down points it was quite a challenge to maintain a balance in the design and still look balanced in the game. To some the body may not look right but from the players point you see the bling, the lights (once connected) and some of the body but you can still the plastic above the targets with the fin on it as well.

Once I get it hooked up with lights I will do a video to show different perspectives and the bling.

#16 9 years ago

I like it needs to come in pink and turquoise.

Ken

#17 9 years ago

the bulbs I wanted to use didn't work so switched to leds (1 x white and 1 x red) and everything working well. I will have to make some slight upgrades to the design (insides only) to better accommodate the leds but am very happy with the design.

P1080715 copy.jpgP1080715 copy.jpg

#18 9 years ago

I love it, very nice jady

2 weeks later
#19 9 years ago

these will be available soon only via Shapeways as a Do It Yourself mod.

Simply purchase the parts, tap one hole to suit the small screw that you choose to use, wire up 2 x 5mm leds (I will provide a little manual of how to do this) and assemble (no painting just assemble). I will open up the parts in a few days time but the difference is that I modified the internals so only 3 parts instead of 4 required to be printed. I will also do a video of the mod during game play as it works well to light up 2 features, as a ramp tends to hide 2 inserts. I also added a split in the body near the wire exit point so wiring can be slipped in and out so you can change out body colours easily. The lens has 2 led holders incorporated into the design with slots for install and removal.

Will post links in a few days time.

CFTBL Tailfin 1.pngCFTBL Tailfin 1.pngCFTBL Tailfin 2.pngCFTBL Tailfin 2.pngCFTBL Tailfin 3.pngCFTBL Tailfin 3.pngCFTBL Tailfin 4.pngCFTBL Tailfin 4.pngCFTBL Tailfin 5.pngCFTBL Tailfin 5.png

#20 9 years ago

Jady,

What is this gonna cost?

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Jady,
What is this gonna cost?

still have to finalise the shapeways uploads as the design has gone through some changes, so not sure but all 3 parts around the $150-$160 as the bumper is silver and a bit of it - is what it is - but still reasonable given the semi precious metal and their manufacturing process. The leds, resistors and some short lengths of cable from the electronics shop would be under $5. Then just 30-60 minutes of your time to do some basic soldering and install. Overall reasonable price for a high quality mod and it can be synced with 2 insert features.

I tried the first version in stainless steel as the price was really good but the quality was not good enough (a lot of steps in the print and in my opinion not worthy) as was hoping to chrome plate.

When they print a semi precious metal part they produce a wax mould first at a much finer print tolerance and then pour the silver, brass etc in and then hand polish the part and it does look awesome.

You could opt for a white plastic bumper and chrome paint it but not sure on the print quality as could be similar to the SS quality but at least you could sand it easier - I will make the white plastic a option but it would be for your experimentation.

#22 9 years ago

video of some game play showing the 2 lights synced with "Parking Ok" and "Move your car" and a shapeways link for those interested.

the cost will vary on what materials you select and I will work on a how to wire up manual very soon - relatively simple if you can solder.

Note: I am totally cool with someone buying parts and on-selling completed kits to others, I just thought it would be too expensive to ship here to Aus and work on and then ship again to the US.

Enjoy if you choose to get something unique.

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=creechtail

#23 9 years ago

How about selling a turn key product, no assembly required?

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

How about selling a turn key product, no assembly required?

regardless of buying from me or from shapeways there will be some basic assembly required.

the best I can do is for people out there that are interested can buy the mod directly from shapeways as freight will be much cheaper and apart from tapping one hole is a very basic assembly.

Once someone buys the mod they can contact me and I can make the 2 leds with leads wired in to 2 led circuit board sockets. This cuts out soldering and sourcing parts but it would be cost plus a little bit for my time with postage being very reasonable - at a wild guess of $20-$30 USD total including postage.

I am not interested in buying the shapeways parts and shipping here to tap a hole and then resend as freight costs alone would be over $32 total as opposed to $5 from shapeways to you and the leds and leads in a padded bag for about $7. Once you order send me the shapeways receipt as proof of purchase and I will aim for the led kit to get to you around the same time as the shapeways parts.

best I can do.

1 month later
#25 9 years ago

I have looked into doing this differently and could have another option through casting and completing them as kits ready to plug and plug.

Who would be interested if the price is right?

Also what colours would people like the body to be, as considering getting 2-3 colours if the price is right?
- light yellow
- light pink
-
-

The goal is that none of these parts will be 3d printed.

EDIT - I couldn't find a company that wanted to make the metal / chrome fin so only available as a shapeways order unfortunately.

4 months later
#26 8 years ago

Shapeways has brought in a new feature for the designers to trial 3d printing and colouring. The 3d printing hasn't changed but the colouring is new and being trialled.

For this design I can now select any colour as well as raise a logo and colour it differently. I would of done a car logo but the tail light is my own design and not like a known car.

So will be doing 2 trial prints where the outer colour is similar to the speaker panel, aqua and a light pink. I have added a "custom" logo in a old school car emblem font given it a silver / grey colour and then coloured the inside all black but with the logo white on the inside in the hope that the logo will glow.

custom_aqua.pngcustom_aqua.png

custom_pink.pngcustom_pink.png

#27 8 years ago

added 2 more designs to the mix to finish a set of 4 custom fins.

creech green with a black emblem

custom tailfin - creech green.pngcustom tailfin - creech green.png

and also a rat rod grey with a red emblem. I created this one so if people wanted to get the cheaper option bumper component like stainless steel this option might look cool, also thought it could be a fun way to customise mods to peoples tastes.

custom tailfin - RR grey.pngcustom tailfin - RR grey.png

I will be getting a few samples to see how they look and also try chrome painting a plastic bumper as then it could be an affordable mod. If it looks good I can make a small mixed batch of customs and people can buy when available.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

€ 24.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-guess-the-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.