(Topic ID: 82128)

CFTBL Found photo of original model used for hologram. Need your HELP!!

By creaturemonster

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 199 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Capper96
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF2316.jpg
creature.jpg
displaycase.JPG
IMG_1137.jpg
Creature Nice Body shot.jpg
creature ricou underwater.jpg
DSCF1520.JPG
creature_prototype.jpg
Ben_suits_Westmore.jpg
P1010926.JPG
Ben_Julie_holds_head.jpg
006.JPG
005-134.JPG
004.JPG
003.JPG
002.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#146 9 years ago

Anyone smart enough to make these should also be smart enough to set up a sham overseas ebay acount and blow them out in short spurts of 30-50 at a time and then go into hiding for a few months.

Plenty of ways to operate in the grey and make it not worth the time of those that want to chase you

#151 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

good one Hilton ... I guess advocating that people break the law if they can't have their way is the moral high ground ...

Nothing moral about it. Sometimes it is worth it to break the law. I am not making these nor would i care to take the investment risk for the likely small reward, but if i was i know i would not be paying a crazy high license fee to do so.

Pretty easy to hide stuff overseas and meet the needs of the consumer if the IP is not willing to come up with a reasonable number or make sure the job is done right the first time.

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Thought about this too, but I believe the model was custom made by Bally employees so it's Bally art.

Fortunately that actual art/ model is no longer owned by Bally or a License holder. It is the personal property of a select few people that have the models. I am all for them making a sweet green holographic picture. License holders would surely attempt to go after them but would not have much of a leg to stand on. The owner/new holographic creator could expect to see a C&D letter as that seems to be the MO from the big boys that try to toss their weight around, but it would never go much further than that.

I would feel slightly bad for Henrik since he genuinely tried to make a good product, but he also priced himself out of the market with an inferior end product.

#164 9 years ago

correct about the cab screens, but this is different. Screens are the medium to reproduce the IP.

The owners of the creech model can do whatever they want with it. If they want to produce a creature hologram in similar dimensions and characteristics to what was in games but put it in a frame and sell it as framed art for Creature they could very easily do so with very little rebuttal from Bally IP holders. If a buyer of that framed art opts to remove it from the frame and use it in their pinball machine they can do so after they buy it. The Creature image itself should be a rather easy to pay universal for as they seem to give it out pretty cheap based on the amount of stuff it is found on (toys and other crap). I would think the Bally IP owners would have a pretty tough time even getting a case accepted if they tried to raise one.

Either way I think it is a moot point as unfortunately Rick likes to toss his weight around but also was unable to ensure the henrik remake was of the quality needed to sell. Seems pretty obvious what the motives of the IP holders were on this project >> let Henrik take the risk and spend his effort/time, pay the IP fees, and then no real protection or insurance that he was going down the correct path or will recoup his investment. Also sounds to me like others have found very viable alternative methods to making a new holo which would not cost very much, yet the current reproductions are sitting unsold at crazy prices... Tells me something is off base with how this project all went down...

Luckily the TV screen mod is pretty damn cool as a replacement for those that have a dead hologram.

#166 9 years ago

I am guessing the Bally copyright is on the original hologram and/or use of a hologram in a pinball game? As noted, it is difficult to even recreate the original holo regardless of what model you use, but the actual model/s itself appears to have never been owned by Bally so they can't lay claim to it.

#168 9 years ago

so they are not allowed to sell photos of the model if they got rights from universal due to it being of creature?

#188 9 years ago

no matter what the legality, given the limited quantity these will sell at in total (maybe a couples hundred) the best option is to make them and then sell them at shows in parking lots (second hand >> i.e. you "bought them from someone else a long time ago and are uncertain of origin") and also dump short bursts on ebay via an overseas shell account.

Plenty of ways to stick it to the man when he is unwilling to get the job done right the first time

#196 9 years ago

If someone wants to get this project done and can really get these made for a reasonable cost and accurate to originals then let me know and I am happy to help you get these sold under the table.

When the "man" is keeping you down, sometimes he needs to get kicked in the junk. Plenty of ways to get these sold and let him chase down deadends to try and protect his rented IPs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-found-photo-of-original-model-used-for-hologram-need-your-help?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.