(Topic ID: 82128)

CFTBL Found photo of original model used for hologram. Need your HELP!!

By creaturemonster

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 199 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Capper96
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF2316.jpg
creature.jpg
displaycase.JPG
IMG_1137.jpg
Creature Nice Body shot.jpg
creature ricou underwater.jpg
DSCF1520.JPG
creature_prototype.jpg
Ben_suits_Westmore.jpg
P1010926.JPG
Ben_Julie_holds_head.jpg
006.JPG
005-134.JPG
004.JPG
003.JPG
002.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Why would Rick go through all that headache if he could have just grabbed it? If anyone would have access to such a thing he would.

Exactly ,,, a road that has been well traveled and has lots of dead ends ... the holograms that are out will satisfy most, and for better or worse the business proposition of doing yet another one would be beyond dismal ...

#35 10 years ago

Guys ... I can always be wrong but ... live with the hologram that you have why?

- the ability to get the original statue is near zero
- if one were to get the original statue, then the ability to transport and take the risk that it would be lost or destroyed would limit where anything could be done (not Europe)
- if one were to get the original status and then get it done in a safe location, then the costs would still be very very high (I spent alot of time talking to the 'experts' in the US on this)
- then if that all above were to happen, then there are few buyers as the existing hologram has already been sold and there is not enough demand now due to that.

Given the inability to do that, Henrik reversed engineered with a competant sculpters to recreate a 3D image from an existing hologram - can you imagine how difficult (and expensive that is?), and then to re-image that to another hologram at which point you will see if there are any differences (due to the perspective, three dimensional aspects, etc). Then only when the hologram master is created (and the major about of the hologram cost) will you see if there are any differences - and if so, you would need almost go back to square one and modify the sculpture and then re-image the hologram ... so Henrik was already in over his head $-wise on this and took a big risk to do what he did and I feel that is what should be appreciated - we will have a hologram that is very good and is designed to not fail in peoples closets over time (and they have no recourse to get their money back).

my views.

[email protected]

#37 10 years ago

There is always a curve as to what people would pay on ebay - if one sells on ebay for $900, then the next couple would sell for way less, and then more for way less than that, so $900 is not the average price, as well as even with the ones that we have there is a little demand, so now there is very little demand. Doing a hologram is probably $10K+ to do and the cost per hologram is very high (i'm not sure why but they are), so it takes alot of them to sell to make back that money ... i.e. it's not gonna happen. I expect there will never be a 100% identical reproduction, so with that I'm spending my time on other topics. Pre-selling this type of item on firm committments is a mirage in pinball parts ... so I'm putting the topic to rest ... sorry, I wish things were easy as people think but they are not in this case.

1 month later
#128 9 years ago
Quoted from creaturemonster:

Ok anyone who interested in a exact hologram. I talked to Zebra Imaging and they could make a monochrome hologram (would look like the original) if we order 100 copies or more they would image the creature statue free. So the cost would be around $50 each. They could do a color hologram for $75 each. I would be in for one of each if this happens. The hologram would last for many years. They advise to keep hologram out of direct sunlight to last longer. So he said they should last 10 to 20 years for our situation.
The PROBLEM:
1. Rick informed me I would need to obtain a license to have these made. Not sure if he would give a license to
make these and how much added cost for each hologram?
2. Obtaining a original model. If we can borrow one of the five models out there to make this. I tried to contact ultimategameroom but never heard back. As of a couple months ago John Trudeau still has his model in the closet. The added cost to scan,paint and make model.
If anyone out there wants to sell there original hologram model let me know first. I would be willing to purchase your model. I am not in this for money so the model would be use to make another original hologram for the holy grail owners.

First, I would be really skeptical to make an original same resolution, same color for $50. I've talked with most hologram places in the US and that is not consistent, so we would end up with another 'cheap' version (like IPB's lenticular version, etc).

Second, there would need to be permission from WMS licensee (us) as well as Universal, so that costs alot of money in terms of royalties and pre-payment and I doubt that is going to come, especially paid before the product is made.

Third, there is a suitable product out there, so the interest and demand will not materialize (if ever) for years to be able to sell a certain number that makes any business model work.

Sorry to put water on the parade, but I doubt I will see a proposal that satisfies the above topics which would be required to get me interested ...

rick

#136 9 years ago

The supplier on this attempted to do exactly what is being done here ... make as close to original, and invested ALOT of money and time for which has not been recovered. I'm really not inclined to roll the dice on another 'try' and submarine the existing product and bury the supplier's investment - sometimes things just work out that way. Imagine you take a risk and invest, and then we were to just say let's make another one ... I want these suppliers not to learn that we undermine their investment in parts as otherwise we will have less of anything ... sorry. When we get rid of the bulk of these holograms we can try for something better ... but it's not as easy as just creating another hologram - IPB did exactly that and look where that ended up ... it's just not that simple nor are these 'prices' including all of the costs that it takes to make something real ... rick

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Anyone smart enough to make these should also be smart enough to set up a sham overseas ebay acount and blow them out in short spurts of 30-50 at a time and then go into hiding for a few months.
Plenty of ways to operate in the grey and make it not worth the time of those that want to chase you

good one Hilton ... I guess advocating that people break the law if they can't have their way is the moral high ground ...

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from Hobbypinball:

God this project pisses me off.

there is no project to get pissed about ... the project was already done, Henrik spent about a year on it and provided the best that he could (and likely anything else will just come with a different set of 'issues'). I'm certainly (as I said before) not going to undermine a supplier who spends alot of money on something just because there 'might' be something a little better ... that's just the way the dice roll sometimes. When Henrik gets his investment back on these and we have run out then it may be time to think about another one, but the last iteration seemed to only build up a little demand in 5 years, and then you also have the mods, which lower the potential anyways.

Last post I will do on this topic, moving on to projects that have not been done ... yet

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-found-photo-of-original-model-used-for-hologram-need-your-help?tu=pps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.