(Topic ID: 82128)

CFTBL Found photo of original model used for hologram. Need your HELP!!

By creaturemonster

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 199 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Capper96
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF2316.jpg
creature.jpg
displaycase.JPG
IMG_1137.jpg
Creature Nice Body shot.jpg
creature ricou underwater.jpg
DSCF1520.JPG
creature_prototype.jpg
Ben_suits_Westmore.jpg
P1010926.JPG
Ben_Julie_holds_head.jpg
006.JPG
005-134.JPG
004.JPG
003.JPG
002.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Hobbypinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#56 10 years ago

I'm still not getting the math on this one. Seems very cost prohibitive, but then how did it ever fly in the first place. Could 350 of these be sold at 100$ each? There's $35,000 there. Honestly, I appreciate Henrik's efforts, but I'm still struggling with the cost of the holo's. Think pinball ninja posted in one blog that "at the time" the holo's were going for under $50?

My holo is blue, but for the cost of the current replacement, I'll shut up and make due. $100 a piece and I'll buy 2 no hesitation - maybe even 3.

Where does the cost come in - to get it made overall or the incremental cost to "print" them off. Guess that's what I'm struggling with. I'll support the costs to get it made, incremental cost (ie $300 a pop), someone needs to rationalize that better to me.

#65 10 years ago

I believe Henrik if he indicates he had heavy up front costs. So would it be cheaper for him to run a new production off the real model based on lessons learned from the current venture? Think alot of his costs were the actual artists re-rendering of the existing holos? Whats the cost to take the actual model, scan, manufacture the holo?

So whats a reproduction based off the original model worth to most? I'd still struggle at $300 a pop unless its something like $300 with a lifetime warranty or 20 years whichever comes first. At 300$ for that buy in the manufacturer could store the replacements for me and still make money. Should only have to store at max another 3 per registered buyer. I send in my failed holo and they send me back a replacement after receiving the failed one from the registered buyer. Could cut down on market flooding with re-sales etc, and protect the manufacturers investment.

Or just charge the $100 a pop and run the risk of being undercut by the aftermarket sellers. But really how much of a problem is reselling on all the other $100 parts we buy?

I'm all for someone doing this and making a buck and it being reasonable for the buyer. If that simply can't be done (as Rick suggests) then I guess let it die I guess and we all go to LCD mods. Someone making a buck vs pocketing hundred fold markup per holo - ya I guess let it die if that's the only way for someone to do this.

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from creyes82:

Warranty on a hologram, really? $300 is a good price point I think for people who intend on keeping it and not flipping it.

Sure it is if it lasts 20 years. $300 is alot for a mod period. Even good ones.

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from NM:

A 20-year warranty?
I don't know about Canada, but even the biggest purchase in one's lifetime--a new home--only comes in the USA with usually only a one-year warranty on everything, a three-year warranty on the plumbing and electrical--and a 10-year warranty on the foundation.
I'd be just be ecstatic to support this project to reproduce a 100% likeness of the original hologram--and appreciate any warranty the manufacturer feels is reasonable.
Thanks for coming forward with your input Ultimategameroom!

Like i said the $300 is a trade off for the assurance a registered buyer has a holo thats gonna stand the test of time. If the individual ones fail, they get a replacement. If the cost to the holo's is not to manufacture them but to do the initial design and run on them and not the "printing" then what's the big woop. The seller gets $300 for a holo and buyer gets the knowledge his holo will last the same amount of time as the original. So use 10 years then. Point being for 300$ it should last longer than some of the other ones that were done that turned red. Dropping $300 should get you a holo that lasts as long as the original and the manufacturer should be willing to stand behind it with something. Any different and I'm out and I'd warrant it gives others hesitation too. Wanna sell them in volume, drop the price and guys won't care if they burn $100 and it lasts only 5 years, wanna sell them at a high price then sell em with a warranty. pretty simple to me.

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from creyes82:

I remember going to a few galleries back in the day in the malls and all they sold were holograms. These pieces of "art" did not come with a warranty, whatever happened to it once it left the gallery was your problem.
I have a friend who has one of the holograms that was reproduced a few years back, his is still green as can be because he took it out of the bag (which was supposedly the problem) and mounted it in the machine as intended.

That's nice. If you prefer to base the business model for this off of something you experienced in a mall back in the day then all the power to you. For me, the price point has to be low enough that I see it as a consumable item, or if its coming at a premium then I want something in return to cover my investment. By going with another option of high cost with no assurance means I personally am out - you are in. We'd probably equally represent the Creature owners out there. My model leads to more holos being sold and the project going forward, yours potentially cuts the buyer base in half putting the project in question.

I've been wrong lots before though. So in closing I'll just leave it as me personally would be out at a high price with no assurance. Think about it though. I just bought a FG topper on which the "cost" was $100. The actual cost to me here in Canada including shipping is $180 upon which I'm still going to pay 5% tax (I'm in Alberta so lucky - other areas of Canada are %13 or more), then I'm likely going to have to pay some shitty brokerage fee. My $100 topper is now at least $200. Not going to pay $400 to get a holo to my door that I have no assurance of its staying power. That's just me though. I like the hobby, but not going to pee away my money on this particular venture.

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Your ultimate point seems to be "I'm not paying more than $100 for this product," which is your right. But it doesn't follow that just because that's all you'd be willing to pay, that someone can make and sell the product at your price point.

Nope - as clearly stated my underlying point is

"For me, the price point has to be low enough that I see it as a consumable item, or if its coming at a premium then I want something in return to cover my investment. "

Unlike other add on's, mods, aftermarket replacements, Holo is unique in that it can degrade to a useless state just by sitting there in the game. I can't limit its use or treat it with kids gloves or not put it in a harsh environment. Ya there are things that can contribute to early failure, but a bad repro sitting in a basement on a HUO machine can go red (or some other color) or fade if the repro is not done to quality standards. So if someone will not stand behind their repro and say with confidence (and thereby back it up with something substantial - like a replacement for x number of years) that it will last as long as the original, then the price needs to drop. Or charge the premium but then stand behind it somehow. I don't care how - I gave a suggestion to try and limit the market flooding with re-sales that would damage the profit margins of the manufacturer. It was one option only though. Someone have a better idea to protect both the manufacturer and purchaser than step up. To suggest that this should cost $300 per holo because the manufacturer doesn't want any headache or risk leaves me out of the buying equation........and likely other Creature owners as well.

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

so if you think a $300 item should have a 20 year warranty, how long is the warranty *you* get on a $5,000 pinball machine, or a $30,000 car? If it costs that much, you say you have to have a warranty so that you know you'll get another one if it goes bad.

Originals lasted 20 years did they not? I do not see the big deal here. If the guys doing the repros INSIST they match the quality of the originals then charge the $300 and stand behind them. If they don't want to stand behind them and are still charging $300 then they lose me as customer. No problem except I think based on previous discussions I'm not alone. If i'm going to sink $300+ then I'll look at one of the LCD mods where I have a better idea on the life expectancy. On a 5000 pinball in a huo environment I would expect and know it to hold up as machines from 20 years ago are holding up. Meaning they are still running. Many are still running well after being through some serious abuse. On a $30,000 car I know the expected life span based on "how" I drive it and the number of miles I put on it. I certainly don't expect it to fall apart if its just sitting in my garage. Not sure on the relevance of your question though.

Wish someone/anyone all the best of luck should they venture forth on this project - regardless of where they decide to price it and stand behind it. Just count me out based on the current price point is all, and my humble opinion suggests other would be out as well.

1 month later
#120 9 years ago
Quoted from creaturemonster:

Ok anyone who interested in a exact hologram. I talked to Zebra Imaging and they could make a monochrome hologram (would look like the original) if we order 100 copies or more they would image the creature statue free. So the cost would be around $50 each. They could do a color hologram for $75 each. I would be in for one of each if this happens. The hologram would last for many years. They advise to keep hologram out of direct sunlight to last longer. So he said they should last 10 to 20 years for our situation.
The PROBLEM:
1. Rick informed me I would need to obtain a license to have these made. Not sure if he would give a license to
make these and how much added cost for each hologram?
2. Obtaining a original model. If we can borrow one of the five models out there to make this. I tried to contact ultimategameroom but never heard back. As of a couple months ago John Trudeau still has his model in the closet. The added cost to scan,paint and make model.
If anyone out there wants to sell there original hologram model let me know first. I would be willing to purchase your model. I am not in this for money so the model would be use to make another original hologram for the holy grail owners.

That's more like it - at $50 each - give another $25 to whoever holds the rights. $75 charge to me - put me down for 2 heck 3. As per the previous attempts at $300 (and my previous posts) - I'll take zerio - unless it is "exactly" like original and comes with 15 year guarantee

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Second, there would need to be permission from WMS licensee (us) as well as Universal, so that costs alot of money in terms of royalties and pre-payment and I doubt that is going to come, especially paid before the product is made.

So when the topic of if MB will ever be a remake, people say why not - "the rights are cheap". "Look at all the monsters paraphernalia out there"

But every time a holo repro comes up its "expensive" or as you've said "costs a lot of money". So what is it? I call BS so here's my opinion - The more I come to read about this project and why it never gets off the ground or we end up with a half baked result is it seems to simply boil down to someones greed and or politics vs actual cost and technical challenges.

But hey - its all about Karma at some point. So best of luck to all those involved with the rights and the models. This has become such a joke. With all the other parts, repros, bloody entire games being rebuilt - Its completely stupid to think the reason this project hasn't gotten off the ground is related to any other reason than politics, greed, or combination there of. Its a damn foil hologram. Same technology thats stamped onto every credit card or pack of sports cards out there.

rant for the day done

#144 9 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

Exactly. It may only truly be "worth it" if the machine itself is reproed (unlikely), because doing that, using Aurich's example numbers, it'll cost $200+/- for the license pr machine but additional spare parts could somehow get worked into the contract at little to no cost through some special wear and tear replacement part clause or something. Now those hologram replacements could be sub $200 instead of $400+.
This is one of the reasons why some replacement parts WMS once supplied were cheaper then what reproductions supply now.

Its a foil. its not a reproduction of a part - no manufacturing. Kind of like saying to get a poster you'd need to incorporate the cost of the manufacturing of the printer. No - you just need to allow for the ink and the operators mark up of creating the print. I'd imagine the original poster that tracked down the numbers and got quotes for the foil printing allowed for that.

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

There's a big difference between the markup and what you can charge for an entire pinball game, vs a piece of film.
Let's say the rights are $200 a machine, just for the sake of argument. That's not that bad, you can absorb that in the cost of $6500, or $8000 or whatever the remake might cost. If you have a hologram that normally needs to retail for say $200, and now it's $400 instead? That's a big deal. I'm making the numbers up, but you see my point I'm sure.
The people who won't pay over $300 will walk away and you're left with an expensive investment.

Why would it cost any more to secure the rights to print the creature holo from Universal or whoever any more than these?

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Monsters-Creature-Lagoon-Action/dp/B00DI7CHWQ/ref=sr_1_7

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Select-Toys-Universal-Monsters/dp/B007TT9DVC/ref=sr_1_4

Yes - there would need to be additional rights paid to who holds the model, but should it be hundreds of dollars or tens? That would be up to them to decide I guess, but it all takes me back to my original thought. Politics and or greed are the only things in the way of making this successful. Someone is trying to get rich off of this along the way - and i'm not sure its the guys that are trying to reproduce it. It hasn't worked at charging $300+ per holo - maybe someone should try a different tact and they might make some money. In my mind it is simple - you cannot hold someone hostage to a $300+ holo and not give a 15 or 20 year assurance the holo will last. If someone will sell me one that looks like the original and will stand behind it for the same amount of time as the originals have lasted then I'll happily fork over my 300. If you will not stand behind the product then we're back down under the $100. And that's where the BS kicks in. The rights owners (PPS and the model owner in this case) would appear to want to make a wack off of money off the rights they own AND assume no risk. They reap all the reward. The guy taking on the printing is assuming all the risk along with the buyer while doing all the work. So again - politics and greed. God this project pisses me off.

#158 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

there is no project to get pissed about ... the project was already done, Henrik spent about a year on it and provided the best that he could (and likely anything else will just come with a different set of 'issues'). I'm certainly (as I said before) not going to undermine a supplier who spends alot of money on something just because there 'might' be something a little better ... that's just the way the dice roll sometimes. When Henrik gets his investment back on these and we have run out then it may be time to think about another one, but the last iteration seemed to only build up a little demand in 5 years, and then you also have the mods, which lower the potential anyways.
Last post I will do on this topic, moving on to projects that have not been done ... yet

And as I said - you get to decide which of these projects see the light of day and which don't............i get to choose where to spend my money. Whether that be a holo - or a repro game(s).

#169 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

correct about the cab screens, but this is different. Screens are the medium to reproduce the IP.
The owners of the creech model can do whatever they want with it. If they want to produce a creature hologram in similar dimensions and characteristics to what was in games but put it in a frame and sell it as framed art for Creature they could very easily do so with very little rebuttal from Bally IP holders. If a buyer of that framed art opts to remove it from the frame and use it in their pinball machine they can do so after they buy it. The Creature image itself should be a rather easy to pay universal for as they seem to give it out pretty cheap based on the amount of stuff it is found on (toys and other crap). I would think the Bally IP owners would have a pretty tough time even getting a case accepted if they tried to raise one.
Either way I think it is a moot point as unfortunately Rick likes to toss his weight around but also was unable to ensure the henrik remake was of the quality needed to sell. Seems pretty obvious what the motives of the IP holders were on this project >> let Henrik take the risk and spend his effort/time, pay the IP fees, and then no real protection or insurance that he was going down the correct path or will recoup his investment. Also sounds to me like others have found very viable alternative methods to making a new holo which would not cost very much, yet the current reproductions are sitting unsold at crazy prices... Tells me something is off base with how this project all went down...
Luckily the TV screen mod is pretty damn cool as a replacement for those that have a dead hologram.

ya what's off base is the greed and politics part. All these challenges will magically disappear when it's time to repro Creech. So don't worry guys - you want a new holo, you'll just have to wait and graciously give Rick your money for a whole new pin to get it. It'll be fine to step over Henrik then cause at that point Rick will "be interested" as he's said himself. So wait for the repro or vote with your dollars now and take a pass on the repro's. I'll wait for the right holo at the right price or guarantee or wait for the next run of the lcd. Assuming Rick doesn't try and poo poo that too.

#172 9 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Depends on the company. I've purchased concept sketches for films that weren't produced with the clause that while I may own the original art piece, I don't own the right to reproduce it for another commercial product, such as a book or prints.

No you wouldn't but that is not what whysnow is saying (I don't think). I believe what he's saying is that the model owner could go to universal and pay a license fee to recreate the model image onto a foil holo to be displayed as art on your wall. This removes Rick from the equation as it's not being sold to go into a pinball machine but does maintain the relationship with universal and the model holder. Where someone choses to display said art (on a wall or inside their pinball) would be up to them and thankfully Rick wouldn't need to to spend time worrying about that. That also means Rick wouldn't have to be persuaded to "be interested" as it would have nothing to do with him. He could spend his valuable time focusing on the logistics, justification$, and "be interested" in other areas around his rights he controls.

#174 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Reread this thread from the beginning. Someone in here it states how Bally created the original model/mold, used it to cast 5 other models before the mold broke, then used one of those models for the hologram. This was not something they purchased off the shelf. If it was something they purchased then they would have had to pay license to whomever made the original models.
Here is the quote from the second page of this thread:
" own one of the original 5 models. I purchased it from John Trudeau in march 2004. He emailed me info after i inquired about the models after buying some jumbo/ large creature promo patches from him. He said he had 4 of the original 5 models. #1 was painted in shades of grey for the hologram shoot at Polaroid. This went back to the artist/ sculptor Jerry Pinsler. Another was painted by john and he said it was on his fireplace mantle(at least it was in 2004). One of the other 3 was sold with a creature pin by John in early 2004. I purchased 1 in march 2004 leaving one more either still in Johns posession or sold to ??? Mine is unpainted and signed #5 of 5 John Trudeau on on the bottom of one of his feet and Doctor Flash inside a lightning bolt under the other foot. He told me the original mold fell apart after 5 castings were made. It had originally only been planned to make 2 models total."
Jerry Pinsler was either an employee of Bally/Williams or a contractor at the time this was made.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1996-05-29/news/9605290090_1_design-career-design-resources-lung-cancer

So Rick holds control over the existing models as they were created by bally? Interesting. Oh well there's still the lcd mod.

#176 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Or if someone had a ruined black hologram, you can make a master from it and make more:
http://www.nli-ltd.com/publications/hologram_counterfeiting.php

Man you guys keep proving my point!

#190 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

This blow back on the IP protection b.s was inevitable. This is a hobby and hobbyist will always try to make the games better and no one can't stifle that spirit.

Rick's got a better idea though. Just wait for the repro and everyone can have their holo. It'll just cost you 8 large is all

#193 9 years ago
Quoted from creaturemonster:

Well here is what we learned so for on this project. There are five models out there 1: one model John Trudeau. 2: one model ultimategameroom. 3: one model Jerry Pinsler. 4: one model pinball factory. 5: one model another pinsider unknown. A company here in the USA that could make a quality hologram. The cost to make a hologram even imaging the model at a decent price. I believe the best chance within the last 20 years to make a exact original hologram with all the information we learned with this trend. Probably will never get made.
I felt from all of PPS statements made in this post the real issue was going to be getting permission to make these. As I stated in a earlier post number one problem receiving a license to make these. I felt with all the models out there one of them would be willing to help us with this project. If you go back and read everything than you can see it all falls into place. PPS talked about the cost would be very expensive to image the model and make each hologram even if you could find the model to use. Which isn't as bad as he said it would be. Next was the cost to get a license and royalties another very expensive process. Which I believe isn't as high as they want you to believe it is. As I posted earlier what would it cost for a limited edition run. Which Rick could make his money off this since he holds the license to these parts and universal would get there cut. So this would be legal and everyone gets what they want. Just would like to know how expensive this would be. Than decide if it worth the risk.
I guess what makes me mad. This hologram that is out there now would of been researched better than it was we wouldn't be in this situation. Before this post Rick and Hendrik had no model or picture to make there hologram. Since there was no model in Williams stockroom they went and talked to a professor. I am no rocket scientist but I would of called John the designer to hear what he new about the hologram. Mistakes happen. We are making another mistake from the last mistake. So we all lose again.

I appreciate all your efforts on this. I wish it would all come together, but mark my word, there will be no sanctioned repro holo until it all magically comes together for CFTBL-repro machine. Then suddenly all these challenges will disappear as Rick will "be intere$ted". Holo's will be available then, but they'll still be $300+ with no assurance to their longevity. Personally I think there is a way to move the hobby forward while still making some money. My take away from watching Rick's posts closely since the MMr announcement is that his business acumen and stance is more aligned with the $ side of all this. That's his choice - he owns the rights. But personally I've come to the realization I just can't support him. At some point the customer is always right though, so I'll take some solace in that.

Off to play WOZ. peace out

#195 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Rick isn't doing this "for the love of pinball"?

Nobody does it just and only for the love. I wouldn't either. When good things aren't happening due to politics and or greed though then things are out of balance. But as with all things out of balance there'll be a correction at some point.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 24.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Hobbypinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-found-photo-of-original-model-used-for-hologram-need-your-help?tu=Hobbypinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.