You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

right_coil.jpg
coil.jpg
20140124_235653.jpg
20140124_235554.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yonkiman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 10 years ago

I just read through this thread quickly but don't recall seeing this mentioned - maybe you have the hold coil and the power coil reversed at the lugs. Take a photo of your coils as installed on your CFTBL, then measure the voltages on the 3 terminals of the coil with the flipper energized and let us know what the voltage on each terminal is with respect to the terminals shown in your photo.

This almost has to be the problem - it's the only way the game could be playable with a known good fliptronics board and still have coils overheating.

#52 10 years ago

Sorry...that looks correct. I'll re-read the thread and see if I can find something we've missed...

#53 10 years ago

Based on what you've said you swapped, I only see two remaining scenarios:
1) CFTBL coils just get hot under normal operation, or
2) Your wiring harness is incorrectly swapping hold and power coils. That's very unlikely, but you can check the wires on J907 and J902 and make sure the colors match the schematic below.

But if the left and right coils are behaving identically...maybe the heat's just normal? Would still be interested in the coil voltages when the flippers off and energized. Also you could remove J902 and measure the resistance between the top (common) winding and the power and hold terminals. To eliminate any possible effects from the diodes, measure the resistance one way, then reverse the ohmmeter leads and measure it again. If the readings are different (they may or may not be depending on your ohmmeter's characteristics), the higher reading is the correct one.

right_coil.jpgright_coil.jpg

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from rygar:

On AFM it was impossible to make the light lock shot after playing the game for 10 minutes so you can imagine that the gameplay was no fun at all after 10 minutes

And ultimately you found the root cause to be the transformer? I've seen lots of unexpected things in electronics, so I can't say that's impossible, but it's hard to understand how a failing/bad transformer could cause a coil to overheat. I guess if there were somehow shorts in the primary making the number of effective windings lower, the output voltages would be higher. I'm very interested in this because I love an (electronic) mystery, and this certainly seems to be that.

It is interesting that my AFM has plenty of power for that light lock shot, but my HS2 only barely makes it around the back and up the ramp to lock a ball. They both use the same coil and have rebuilt flippers. I don't think it's a coil heating issue (it has the problem when I power on), but thanks for reminding me to revisit it! I need to check the power supply under load...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 27.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 24.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yonkiman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-flipper-coils-overheating?tu=yonkiman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.