(Topic ID: 145930)

CFTBL Flashers Flash with Coils Firing Help!

By ngoett

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Tuukka
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20151205_191358.jpg
#1 8 years ago

So been stuck on this problem for a while and decided to reach out and see if any of you have had this problem. Finishing up a CFTBL HE and whenever ANY coil fires the flashers flash. From my observation it is any flasher on the Purple and Brown strands. Blue and Black flasher strands do not have this problem. Simply cannot figure it out. It is not a board problem as I have tried a Rottendog and Original Driver Board. Its beginning to drive me mad because I want this game to be done. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! Video below..

Edit: Note that it also does this with incandescent bulbs so its not just a ghosting problem.

#2 8 years ago

bump. i'm at a loss, too

#3 8 years ago

Are all those LEDs?

#4 8 years ago

Everything else work OK? Switches, lamps, flashers when tested?

(nice looking pin!)

#5 8 years ago

Yes, all LEDs.
Everything else works 100%.
In fact, when you test each individual flasher, they all work perfect with no interference with the coils.
But in coil test each coil seems to "backfeed" into the purple and brown flashers.
It really has us stumped and don't really know where to go next.

#6 8 years ago
#7 8 years ago

A bad diode on a solenoid or a faulty blocking diode on the PDB could cause this in a single case, but unlikely to occur in so many instances.

Make sure the ground side of the solenoid circuits and the flasher circuits on the PDB have good connections to ground with no resistance. Also make sure all of the PDB mounting screws are installed and tight.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I would try adding a diode across the first or last flasher in circuit? Use clips until you know the correct orientation. Make sure not to short anything in the process.

I'm not getting what that would achieve. Plus if the diode was installed backwards across the flasher it would risk blowing the fuse, or worse a component. Same thing that happens when someone installs a diode backwards on a solenoid.

#9 8 years ago

Did it start after switching to LEDs?

#10 8 years ago

Tried installing a diode on the first and last flasher of the strand [band toward the thicker wires] and made no change in symptom.

Unfortunately, we didn't test it before we just tore it down completely for a new playfield and decals, etc. We played it a couple times before but didn't notice if the flashers did this, but wasn't specifically looking for it, either.

All screws on driver board are tight and have tried a repaired coin-op cauldron driver AND a brand new rottendog driver and both exhibit the same behavior. Pretty sure it's not a board issue.
Also made sure my outlet was grounded and properly wired [reaching for straws]

#11 8 years ago

Can you make a picture of the powerdriverboard with everythinhg connected ?

#12 8 years ago

20151205_191358.jpg20151205_191358.jpg

#13 8 years ago

Some connectors are difficult to see but all seems correct.

Quoted from dgoett:

and have tried a repaired coin-op cauldron driver AND a brand new rottendog driver and both exhibit the same behavior

I thought there was a compatibility problem with rottendog concerning sol#23 and #24. Could you disconnect J125 and J126 and see if the problem stays or leaves.

#14 8 years ago

Have you tried another CPU and/or ASIC?

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

I'm not getting what that would achieve. Plus if the diode was installed backwards across the flasher it would risk blowing the fuse, or worse a component. Same thing that happens when someone installs a diode backwards on a solenoid.

My bad sorry! I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express before but that was a long time ago.

#16 8 years ago

jwj - have not tried a different CPU. Can do that on Monday as the other 2 WPC games here both have rottendogs.
zaza - with j125 and j126 disconnected, the problem remains.

7 years later
#17 4 months ago
Quoted from dgoett:

jwj - have not tried a different CPU. Can do that on Monday as the other 2 WPC games here both have rottendogs.
zaza - with j125 and j126 disconnected, the problem remains.

Did this ever get resolved? I have just restored a creature - received it completely trashed so never played it, now after resto its flashing every time a coil fires!

#18 4 months ago

Are you using LED flashers? Try regular flashers first. If it works there.... get better flashers.

My theory on this is that the inductive kick that coils give up when collapsing their magnetic fields, while blocked by the diode, can cause spikes that get picked up by other wiring. This might be enough to light LEDs but not enough for the normal flashers.

As for a fix, no idea other than isolating the wiring as much as possible, which would be difficult since both flashers and solenoids share the same harness.

#19 4 months ago

The game was designed to use #906 and #89 bulbs for flashers. Not LED's. Install the correct bulbs to clear problems.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 24.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-flashers-flash-with-coils-firing-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.