IMG_0500 (resized).jpg
IMG_0498 (resized).jpg
IMG_0433 (resized).jpg
IMG_6548.jpeg
IMG_4535 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4533 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4534 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4531 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#984 7 years ago

Hey all! Just joined the club a few weeks ago; really loving the creature, although the one I got needed a shop job, bad.

I tried to install a super-bright LED for the hologram but it apparently either doesn't work at all, or is somehow the wrong voltage.

Anyhow - right now I am working on the hologram motor - BOTH the mirror and the holo motor were working yesterday, then both suddenly stopped working simultaneously. I turned it on yesterday afternoon and suddenly neither worked.

I checked the F111 fuse which I believe is the common fuse for those, but it appears good. There's no way both motors burned out at the same time... any other ideas on what to check? Could it be something on the board?

thanks

Also.. I am looking for the snack bar mod and / or the speaker panel mod if anyone has them (for less than $400 like at PB Decals! )

1 week later
#1010 7 years ago
Quoted from ellray:

I picked up a CFTBL this past weekend, and it looks like the hologram is in good shape (still green), but the motors seem to both be frozen or need rebuilding (the mirror motor makes noise and runs a bit with a push but then stops again--the hologram motor doesn't even make noise, but I haven't checked the fuse).
Is it worth trying to keep the motors running? My inclination is to configure it at a nice angle (with the motors are disconnected), so the creature just shows in a static pose when the light comes on. Thoughts?

This happened to me a week or so ago, and the machine had been working PERFECTLY before that. I had had a long conversation with another pinsider about how it is "never, ever ever 'just a fuse'." Well, it was. It was a couple of fuses, to be exact, but I replaced one (I can't remember which, one of the solenoid fuses), and everything sprang back to life. I couldn't believe it. Cost me maybe 8 bucks after I replaced *all* the fuses.

3 weeks later
#1051 7 years ago

Quick question for the other owners -

In our Creature, when I activate Unlimited Millions, then go up the left ramp... is the game supposed to do something? I get no points, nothing changes, and eventually the mode times out. The ramp switches appear to function in test mode and I get 100,000 points for hitting the left ramp during normal play... any ideas? I know it's Unlimited Millions since it appears on the DMD

Also, I've noticed the wrong lamps are lighting on the mode cards - e.g. Mega Millions lights when it's Creature Feature, and none of them seem to be correct. This points to a wiring mismatch somewhere (no clue to to start on THAT one), but not sure if it's related to the above.

My game is a re-import, if that makes any difference.

#1053 7 years ago

That topper is OUT-Standing! I assume you made it/had it made? The topper looks like that halloween 'grave walker', but where did the background come from?

#1057 7 years ago
Quoted from RGman:

It sounds like the switches for your left and right ramp may be flip-flopped. I had a similar issue on mine and simply swapped the switch plugs underneath the playfield.

Rock and roll! I never would have thought of that. It wouldn't be the first thing that's flipped in this game. I'll try it!

1 week later
#1085 7 years ago

I was looking for one a few months ago, and the only source I could find was some Brasilian website - motor was $100... Make sure you exhaust all your options first!

3 weeks later
#1108 7 years ago

Creature fans -

I just replaced the tiny light bulbs in my ramp and the swamp bowl with LEDs, and I am noticing that several of the sockets are not lit. I know it is not the bulbs, as they work in other sockets, but I'm curious if anybody has an idea of how to clean or re-set those sockets so the damn things work. I do not believe this is an issue of weak solder, as they are well connected the board... before I disassemble anything, is there an easy way to clean those things; maybe they're just corroded?

TIA

#1110 7 years ago
Quoted from scottmaggie:

Some of those lights are not on all the time. Run test mode to make sure they are all working.

Yep - that's what I was doing when testing. I'll try it again though - thanks scott

3 weeks later
#1142 7 years ago

How do you all actually level the bowl? Just with washers or something? It doesn't look to me like the bowl is set up to just sit on the screws themselves. I've gotta be missing something.

Nothing in the manual either.

#1145 7 years ago

^^ That looks great - I always thought of the WOZ crystal ball as sort of a successor to the creature in a way. Would be awesome to get a mod together that... oh wait..

2 months later
#1173 7 years ago

The snack bar mod made by swinks is a really really good upgrade - looks a million times better in the game and is just all class in terms of being well made and visually appealing.

There aren't a ton of great mods for the creature though - I added the drive-in movie sign mod which looks good from afar but IMO isn't very well made. You can add a shooter rod if you like..

Another huge improvement is adding the proper LEDs around the ramps. Makes the game pop even more than usual

#1176 7 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

By proper leds around the ramps, can you link me to the right ones? Thanks!

Sure:

http://cointaker.com/products/86-led

#1179 7 years ago

I did the paint thing for a while - it looks cool for sure, but boy did replacing those bulbs get OLD. I switched to the LEDs and haven't had to replace on in a long long time...

#1181 7 years ago

I did my ramp in green and the bowl in purple - have others tried different combos?

I really wish I could somehow make the ramp flash green during normal gameplay but switch to purple for multi ball!

#1183 7 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

May all your wishes come true
» YouTube video

That. Is. Amazing.

1 week later
#1193 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

May I ask where you got those bowl decals from, they look really nice.
Thanks.

I can't tell exactly - but aren't those the stock decals?

#1195 7 years ago

Good luck, Jim! Soon you'll be swearing at the GD 2-ball multiball like the rest of us!!

#1204 7 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Is there a reason not to use the original voice calls? I find the replacements jarring.

In pre-DCS games, the audio quality of the clips was extremely low resolution, which is actually jarring in a different way; they are noticeably crappier than the music/SFX. thewool chose to re-record them to avoid that. I do VO work too, and definitely prefer the old announcer style callouts ("Shocking! Amazing!") but these sound way better in terms of quality.

#1211 7 years ago

thewool: don't forget to post this mix to the PinSound forums!

1 week later
#1239 7 years ago

Question, I was replacing the lamps around the ramp and bowl with the green led's from Comet and I have a few random ones that will not light. I tweaked the sockets a bit so the lamps fit securely and are making good contact still nothing. Didn't get the meter out yet but I was just curious, are these sockets known to fail? Simple Marco part? Looks like the solder is fine didn't seem like cold solder joints. If they are known to have bad sockets I'll just swap them out. Thanks!

Mine has a couple like that too. First you have to make sure they are -truly- not lighting at all, watch the light show in multi ball because some of the sockets light at different times.

I thought I had a whole bunch out, but after looking closely it's only 2, and the rest light when they are supposed To. I have one light in the bowl that I can't figure out why it doesn't light well, occasionally it pops on but mostly it's off. I have one on the ramp that won't light but it is in the back so I've never bothered to fix it.

1 week later
#1253 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Mine is also rapid, I think you have to nail it on the fly.

Confirm - it's supposed to be like a loop

#1255 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

So planning a colordmd led screen for my CFTBL. I already have the pinsound in there. Any idea if I have to ad an additional power supply for my screen? And If so what power supply is recommended.

I started to get resets once I added the ColorDMD, and I don't have a PinSound in there as well.

if you have an original hologram light in there, you may consider upgrading to the Halogen kit, AND getting a replacement LED bulb which fits. This will lower the overall pull on the game and you hopefully won't get the resets.

Rob Kahr's daughterboard is helpful in this case, too, in the event you are drawing too much power overall. It will pull some voltage from the 12V if the 5V is dipping - The ColorDMD does pull a lot of power.

Creature is one of the toughest games to add a lot of mods to because of the two under-playfield motors, when those and the light come on, it pulls a *lot* of power all at once.

#1260 7 years ago

I love how you guys keep improving on the design even though the DMD tech itself is basically the same. Dammit that reminds me I need to order a new display for my doctor who!!

4 weeks later
#1281 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Came across this video - » YouTube video
Anyone of the members here have that Mix for CFTBL?
I Would also love to do the taillight mod, any still for sale or ideas how to start that?

I don't know if that's the same mix but there is on posted on the PinSound forum that sound very similar. Good luck finding the taillight mod (I assume you mean for the speaker area?)... this has been super hard to find for a few years now. I believe pinball decals has it for $400, but the quality is reportedly not that good. You may check the thread "warning! This thread may cost you money" about a possible solution down the road, maybe as soon as Allentown.

#1284 7 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

I do not own a Creech but have been watching prices over the last 2 months & they have seemed to go up. 2 months ago I saw a really nice one go for 6K with the video mod instead of the hologram. Now I am seeing what I would categorize as 'not as nice' with no mods and people asking tons more. Simple question, Why?

answered your own question:

Quoted from hawknole:

2 months ago I saw a really nice one go for 6K with the video mod instead of the hologram

#1286 7 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

So you are saying the hologram is that valuable? I like the video mod, even though I would like to edit some of the video...

I am not saying that - although that mod is now impossible to find. I have seen it sold for $1000 out of a machine. Anyway, prices jump up like that - when one very very nice machine is sold for a high price, you always see a bunch of other ... possibly less quality machines that all of a sudden have their prices jacked up.

IMO Creature is an *awesome* machine - it still gets the most plays in my collection, and I have a TZ, MB and Doctor Who. It's not a 'quest' machine like LOTR or TH but I still think it's fun when the pressure is on with the multiball. But 6K? man even I can't agree with that.

Also there's a new mod in the works- you should check that other thread

#1288 7 years ago

Keep your eyes peeled, one will come available for 4500 eventually. Also watch this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hologram-mod-for-creature-from-pinballsp-is-under-development

#1297 7 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I'm a huge fan of mods. Honestly, there's so much great looking stuff in this game you don't need that much for this. Mine has a color DMD, chrome trim, lit pop bumpers, pinbits holo lamp, a lit up classic car for the kiss lane, and an led-ocd. Shoot, that's still kind of a lot haha. It's your game, go nuts and have fun with it!

That's the exact same set of mods mine has. I quite like the drive in billboard mod but honestly it doesn't add much to the game - still a cool add on though! My favorite mod is the lit pop bumpers - hardest one I did but it really makes the game look great, especially in that dead unit area near the lanes. I never quite bought into the "he's supposed to be in the trunk so it should be dark" argument.. I am changing mine out to the teal Color though - the orange is a little overwhelming

#1317 7 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Mine came with the lit bumpers, I do very much like the teal. I presume swapping out the pop bumpers themselves is much easier than installing the lights? I'd love to do the bumpers and paid plastics i teal. I also REALLY want the pinsound, is there a preview link for wool's mix?

If you replace the skirts, then you have to completely disassemble everything, including unsoldering the lights. I installed mine with leads from the lightning bolts, which makes them flash when the bolts flash and are easy to remove. But if you just replace the top of the bumper then yes that's pretty straight forward, just removing the ramps is kind of a pain

1 week later
#1359 7 years ago
Quoted from Flowst:

Hi folks,
As a new Creech owner, I am looking for advice on where to get the best mods. 28 pages of posts are hard to get through on limited time.
I very much want to upgrade the speaker panel tail light area, as well as replace the apron detail cards.
Is the pin-sound upgrade or a speaker upgrade worthwhile?
I will be visiting the Allentown show and could pop by any table of course.
Thanks in advance. Ill post some pictures later.

Pinsound is AWESOME, the wool's mix is really great. Color dmd is a must on this game. Other than that... there is the drive in movie sign and car mod that lights when "move your car" starts. And swinks' snack bar mod is a requirement.

The lit speaker panel is very very hard to find, as is Mike's tv mod

#1366 7 years ago
Quoted from Flowst:

Thanks for the update. I have the colorDMD and agreed, its perfect. My table is in good shape, but needs some cosmetic tune ups.
PinballDecals has the tail light mod on their website. They seem pricey, is it worth it in your opinion?

I saw there's a thread around about it - it's $400 for a bunch of wood and wires.. I seem to recall it basically did what the original mod did, but wasn't put together super well and didn't quite match up in terms of effect.

1 week later
#1396 6 years ago

Yep it just plays the once after a agame

#1398 6 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

I believe on mine it will keep going for as long as the game is on. About once every half hour or so. Some times I will be doing something across the room when it is very quiet and out of nowhere it scares the s%&^t out of me.

Twilight zone does this to me when I leave it on and the ball drain music plays out of nowhere!

#1400 6 years ago

Yes the one for the speakers I'd like to get. I saw one in person and it looks great.

Did Dan post pics of the CFTBL mod yet?

#1406 6 years ago
Quoted from Cyrus:

If I had better skills with solder I would but right now I'm tapped at soldering wires onto switches and solenoids. So, I'm asking around to see which board repair gurus out there are willing to take a stab at it, because I fear I'd hose it up for good. I asked Marcos if they might have a few and they said they have not had a source on these like boards for years. I suspect perhaps the diode went, because otherwise I tested continuity on all the solder points with my FLUKE, and there are no broken connections. This game...every time I fix one problem, another crops up! Well, i wanted something to do in retirement.

This also happened to me on the "F". Do check if there is a crack in the solder. You can probably just hold an iron against it and get it to re flow. It's less work than fixing a a coil

#1412 6 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Question,
I have a creature and when the ball drops in the swirl bowl it makes 1 or 2 turns before it falls down. I leveled, adjusted but no better result. I played a creature recently in an arcade and the ball just kept swirling, 6-9 times. What could I do to enhance mine, buy a new bowl? Wax the bowl? New Balls? Steeper ramp? Any suggestions?

You can apparently also level the Bowl itself (though I do not understand exactly how - spacer, I suppose)

Also, many Creature fans have replaced the switch with a magnetic reed switch, which has no moving parts and causes no friction. Or you can nudge the game to keep it swirling

3 weeks later
#1423 6 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I tried activating the Video mode tonight with the glass off. It never lights up. I rolled the ball into SLIDE and KISS over and over again and nothing. For Slide it just cycles through the modes repeatedly and skips Video each time. I tried a Factory Reset on the game tonight as well. Same issue.
I'm thinking it's been disconnected, but how? Under the playfield?
[Right ramp triggers video mode. Back to the drawing board. Will test and report back.]

Was just about to post its right ramp that triggers it (6 times I think) but you obviously figured it out...

2 weeks later
#1434 6 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

The reed switch sounds like a mod worth doing. Do you have a URL where this reed switch may be purchased?
Thanks.
Gord

Seconded - those reed switches have been hard to find...

#1437 6 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

I got two second hand out of a star wars trilogy.
I'm not familiar with SWT but I believe they are out of some sort of cannon assembly.
They are $30/40 each if you can find them.

Thanks - I just found this:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10601

Says it's heavier duty than most but not sure if it would work?

3 weeks later
#1461 6 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

Cheers thanks I'll check that out I do notice if I make a slow shot up the middle lane the ball comes back down and straight between the flippers.

That's like half the shots in the game

#1464 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I had to install my "flower pot" rubber upside-down in order to work correctly.

There's a fat white plastic washer that should sit underneath it. do you have that?

#1469 6 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

Cool thanks for that so they left the factory with that rubber design?

You can buy that from Marco and (I think PBL) and im sure from other pinball stores. It is called a "tapered rubber" and comes in yellow or black. CFTBL shipped with yellow.

There is also a white plastic spacer you should have as well - it goes on top of the rubber, which Alex has installed upside down

#1472 6 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

That all seems wrong. Here is mine

that is the correct installation

#1473 6 years ago

Probably leaving the club on Monday... with extreme mixed feelings. I need to take some pictures before she goes!

#1476 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

At first I did install mine "correctly", but still the balls kept on going sdtm... so I inverted the rubber and guess what? Much better now... And I didn't notice any difference on shooting for the scoop! Anyway, it works fine for me the way it is now!

Perfect! Hey it's your game! Mine goes SDTM if you miss as well

#1478 6 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

Thanks guys found one here in Australia

Is this the spacer?

Yep that looks right

1 month later
#1517 6 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Anyone recall several years ago when Pete Townshend got caught in about the same set of circumstances? Seems Pete was just "researching for a book" or something and it sort of went away. We'll see how this plays out.

Quoted from teekee:

Don't be ridiculous... go tear down a confederate statue today instead. It will make you fell better!
Crazy people all around us!

HOW is that in any way the same ? Two reprehensible things that we should all learn from and move on from? Actually, I guess you're right!

2 years later
#2667 4 years ago
Quoted from acidburn:

Joined the club yesterday [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Good on you. One game I really miss from the lineup. Had no idea how great it was at the time

1 week later
#2674 4 years ago
Quoted from Tjohejsan:

Now to the bowl. Ill bet It has been up for disscusion before here.
How to make it go more loops and register on switch?
Pleas give me some advice!
Now i have at best 2 regestred loops.

Get the reed switch!

#2695 4 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

I have the ones for MM and AFM, they are way to dark, even when lit.
Others have posted the same thing.
I will not be buying any more.

Yep. Same with TZ. They look pretty nice but they are so dark you have to go nuts re-LEDing your backbox with super brights

1 week later
#2703 4 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

Here's a side by side comparison I did for a Pinside member: new Mirco playfield on the left, old playfield on the right. The new Mirco is beautiful...the colors are deeper, richer, and really pop, especially the hot pink and the teal around the bumpers.
However, the clear looks like it may not hold up. The post had been in for 2 weeks before I decided to change the post colors. The last photo shows how the star post has sunk down into the clear. This may explain how my playfield mysteriously "fixed itself" in my previous post...it looks like the clear may be soft. The old playfield with 84,000+ plays on it has cut into the clear and down to the wood on the side opposite of where the ball hits the post. That's to be expected on a game with that many plays, and the other side of the playfield under the post looks great. What I don't like is that the post has cut into the clear on a new playfield that hasn't even been played yet.
I've placed some nylon washers under a few posts but I'm nervous that this will just push damage to the clear farther out into the playfield. I'm going to watch this closely...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Sorry to say this is what Mirco has apparently been producing lately, even for the big manufacturers. The clear (apparently) does not adhere properly to the ink on the wood, and it interferes with the curing process. It may be worth it to wait a month or two before doing anything further

#2716 4 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Anyone got a mirrored version speaker panel theyd part with? Willing to over spend lol

Didn’t know these existed- who made them?

4 weeks later
#2750 4 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

I have a question for my friend’s creature, he has a pinsound board in it, game was playing great. Then the sound just went out. Reloaded the file on the flash drive. You can hear the pinsound board doing its thing through the speakers with it’s loading music playing. Once the files are ready, total silence. We swapped the pinsound board into another pin, and it worked perfectly. So it’s not the pinsound board. Would it be something on the CPU board that just frapped out?
Thank you

Reseat your ribbon cable

2 weeks later
#2762 4 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Hey Creech fans. I am looking to trade into a Creech soon. Any common issues I should be aware of? Also looks like some decent mods out there, any have to haves on the list? TIA.

Swinks’ snack bar mod. All Cliffy protectors.
Full stop. That’s really the major ones.

There’s also a supposed video screen under the lagoon which can replace the creature hologram, but it’s been “coming out” for 2 years And still not available so who knows.

3 weeks later
#2793 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Couldn’t help myself. Had to buy this beautiful new book from Easton Press. I think spfxted would appreciate it.
https://www.eastonpress.com/prod/769/3611/HORROR-CINEMA
[quoted image]

that book is EXPENSIVE, damn. I also stumbled onto John Landis' book "MONSTERS in the movies" the other day. Pretty damn good - has interviews with Joe Dante, John Carpenter, a host of other directors. Each chapter is a different type of monster (e.g. robots, aliens, vampires, werewolves, etc) He has comments about many of the movies good and bad. The comments are usually hilarious. Sort of similar in structure to Ted's books. Hey! spfxted where's my Volume 4!

2 weeks later
#2808 4 years ago

On the hunt for the Creature again... let me if know if anyone’s looking to exit the club..

#2826 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

That's so crazy. Obviously we dont know the details but why can Monster Bash....with the CFTBL right there on the art with the rest of the crew....be created but CFTBL on it's own cannot. Maybe the licensing issue is for CFTBL specifically......I dunno.

May not be Universal that’s causing the problem.

On the other hand, they just scrapped their new Dark Universe plan (WHY they didn’t call me I have no idea) so they may want to be laying low for now.

3 months later
#3034 3 years ago

Definitely a game I regret selling... sold to another great Pinsider, maybe one day I can buy it back!

3 weeks later
#3103 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Smart. I wonder why the mod community hasn't figured out a way to use this insert? Perhaps have it light up when the tilt bob touches? Anyway, thanks.

I think it's more because you'd never see it since it's under the apron

4 months later
#3266 3 years ago

That figure isn’t out quite yet - supposed to be in First quarter next year

2 weeks later
#3271 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I've used JB Weld metal epoxy in the past which is great, haven't tried their wood version. I think pre-drilling the screw hole is a good idea so not to stress/damage the filler and it's binding to the timber.

KwikWood should be totally fine for this - it is super strong as long as you let it cure for a few days without messing with it. Looks like you're in good shape. It does sand, but it is kind of a pain yes.

#3274 3 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Thanks. The laminate on the face of the board didn’t stick to the kwikwood, so it still puffs out a bit. I tried to get some superglue down in there to secure it but that failed too. Honestly, I’m not that worried about it though.
I’ll post again once it’s drilled and screwed. I have a long ways to go with the game, almost all underside mechs have been rebuilt. On to the topside next.
I assume based on what I’ve read that I won’t be able to find a replacement motor / gearbox for the mirror / hologram. One of mine is dead and the other makes awful noises. And if I’m reading correctly, the mods for it are NLA. Frustrating...

It is REALLY hard to find that motor, yes. Swinks may be still doing the snack bar mod, which far more than the others, is a must-have.

Also check out Compy86's mod for the Twilight zone backboard. Even if he doesn't plan on making one for CFTBL (I bet he is, but he has not said so), it could be easily adapted to the game, with almost trivial changes to the code.

1 week later
#3320 3 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

I'm going to hold off for now, seems like Soren is going to do a write up on the change, but I'm not sure we can update MikeD's code to read the lamp matrix differently, so I think we may be stuck on L-4 code.

Temporarily

8 months later
#4045 2 years ago
Quoted from Captain-Flint:

Sorry all, but I have to say it... for $449.00 juz pinball mods killed the LCD Creature mod market! Best bang for your buck, Poor Man approved!!!
https://juzpinballmods.com/product/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-video-mod/
If you are not a fan of our show we do a silly podcast that promotes the Poor Man Pinball life style (I am joking already, shits expensive af right now) while drunk (usually). However we did a quick video of Juz Pinball Mods LCD mod because honestly for half the price of Mike D or even JSPinballs mod, this is a worthy alternative.
Again, we were drunk when we did this video (and our podcast... lol) It is all in fun people!

I’m still having a hard time understanding why one would get this mod which doesn’t sync with gameplay, when the Pinballsp mod *does* sync up, and for about the same price. …And that Compy86 may be coming out with a mod as well

#4048 2 years ago
Quoted from Xerxes:

Hmm... wonder if anyone could think of a use for this:
https://lookingglassfactory.com/portrait
First time I've seen this and I have to admit it looks pretty impressive, it can run in stand-alone mode as it has a built-in Raspberry Pi 4.
There's a great video of what it can do on Linus Tech Tips:

Whoa! Well, we are
Building a Star Wars themed gameroom, and I’ve been researching how to do a Princess Leia hologram with my R2D2 (mostly done with him). I have a holo fan, and was looking into an acrylic pyramid.

This wasn’t quite what I had in mind but it will do the trick nicely! R2 will stay in the game room, I only remove him very occasionally, (he’s heavy as hell) so I can just mount this to a location in the room. Done!

#4053 2 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

If you're looking to replace your non-working hologram *and* get better sound at the same time for a reasonable price and a bit of DIY this works great : https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-creature-holo-mod-for-cftbl
Starts out as a pure holo replacement, further along I describe how to combine it with a TiltAudio sound card so it all runs on a single Pi.

What monitor and bracket did you end up using?

#4061 2 years ago
Quoted from Zee:

That's a darn good price. I remember paying over 200 back in the day...

Crap, $23? buy it ASAP

1 week later
#4074 2 years ago
Quoted from nlrobert:

I finally completed my CFTBL restoration project. It came out really well and plays great. Thanks to everyone's input and assistance along the way. Especially Stumblor for assisting me with recreating two new lamp boards that were missing. They work great!
My original hologram was toast, so I added the new holomodsp. It looks and integrates amazingly with the game. I also added a complete pinsound system and have the wolfy content loaded. I love the additional audio content and these upgrades make it play like a newer game!
Here's a summary of the restoration and upgrades, as well as a few pictures.
- New cabinet from VirtuaPin
- New cabinet decals
- New playfield (extra layer of clearcoat added)
- New holomodSP
- New Pinsound system (pinsound plus board, speakers, shaker, and enhanced audio content file)
- New DMDLux board
- New MPU board (5.0 Rom)
- New mirrored backglass
- New ramps
- LEDs throughout
- New side armor, legs, and lock down bar[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Where did you get the light baffles in the backbox? I thought those were unobtanium?

Look fantastic BTW. I so regret selling this game.

#4080 2 years ago
Quoted from nlrobert:

Yes...I just liked the rib-less look better than the ribbed.

Mine came with legs like that - they were mismatched heights. I could never figure out why it wouldn’t level, until I measured…

2 months later
#4214 2 years ago
Quoted from slippifishi:

Anyone rocking a PIN2DMD in their CFTBL running my colour project should look into getting the new version I just uploaded to VPUniverse - upgraded to 64 colour with a lot of sparkle and sexy dithering, and fixed all those nasty bugs. Now with full 4 player support, overall it's a much more polished experience. You will need to be running v4+ firmware, any problems getting onto VPU then reach out and I'm sure I can provide an alternative link.
[quoted image]
Thanks for all the kind comments and support over the years from everyone who reached out, especially in relation to this game. I hope you all enjoy this much needed update - stay cool, daddy-o!

I am sure this is as amazing as your other colour projects. HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommended!!

#4216 2 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Where do you order the color2dmd from? Is it cheaper than color dmd.coms?

I'm not sure what color2dmd is, but if you mean Pin2DMD, it is more or less a homebrew solution you can order at VPUniverse (there is a link up above). It is more complicated than installing a ColorDMD, more steps, but it has the capability to surpass it. The new CFTBL uses a huge array of colors you can't get on a ColorDMD job, as nice as those are. However, it's a lot more steps to get there. Hit up VPUniverse (which is mainly for virtual pinball emulation, but you're in the right place) and read about it there.

#4219 2 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Thanks, that’s what I meant. I’ll go to vpuniverse to see how to get one and cost

Here’s a Pinside thread with a LOT of
Info:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-led-color-dmd-user-colorization-projects

lucky1 is THE. MAN. In terms of Pin2DMD. Dude is on fire

#4237 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Yeah the irony... We spend tons of money to upgrade our DMDs, whereas we actually seldom watch them during gameplay (and this is even more relevant on modern games with LCD screens and fancy animations, which I never get to see since I'm the only one playing and I never watch the screen except when it's quiet !!)
OK, I might be slightly exagerating, but you see my point

one of the things I love most about this game is the way the game stops for a few seconds when you start multiball. The movie starting and the music is just so captivating

1 week later
#4262 2 years ago

Never knew the ink was UV sensitive either! Wow

#4273 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball13:

Looking at joining the club soon. The game has a blue hologram. I know that is not how it should look. Is there a fix for that and how much does it hurt the value or resale of the game. Also, not seeing many for sale recently. Any ideas on current value for a very nice example with no fade? Thanks

If you can find one that's a "very nice example with no fade" they've been trending in the $7s lately. It's crazy. And no, there's no fix for the blue hologram. You can TRY to get a colored bulb, but it doesn't work all that well. One thing that does work is finding a very strong LED bulb which fits in the halogen socket. It will add more white light to the image and not make the blue quite so prominent

#4275 2 years ago
Quoted from 2pupPinz:

Has anyone heard about the progress of 86pixels lagoon video display?

I think he backed off a bit since the other solution seemed to be happening, and focused on other things

#4277 2 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I don't think he's backed off. It just hasn't happened yet. The other solution is in the $800 range, so there is definitely still a market here for something more simple, like a regular hologram even

That would be great; the twilight zone solution is around $400, and is almost identical to what CFTBL would need. I’ll ask Jimmy

#4281 2 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I have the mirrored and think it’s really good. My experience is the mirroring is more obvious when off/not lit but I still prefer it.[quoted image]

This is consistent with my experience with the TZ glass. Looks very nice WAY up close and in person (and while off). Kind of hard to tell the difference when it's on. The CFTBL looks better IMO. Ugh I miss this frickin game

#4292 2 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Nice, but I was looking at creating a real hologram, the old fashion way.

https://www.integraf.com/resources/articles/a-using-your-own-laser-to-make-holograms

3 weeks later
#4302 2 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I'm surprised that no one has come up with a transparent flexible gasket to fit around the window and reduce/eliminate the gap between the window/playfield
it's only a very slow moving ball that seems to be impacted by the gap, but reducing its size could improve the game's playability a little bit

It's funny, when I bought a replacement plastic for my Monster Bash lagoon, it actually DID come with a (rubber, I think) gasket in the shape of the lagoon. So a larger one for CFTBL / Congo doesn't seem too much harder

5 months later
#4516 1 year ago
Quoted from Ive:

A previous owner had added it so I’m afraid I have no idea. It does look good , I suspect someone made a small run of them a few years ago ….. I couldn’t see anything online.

swinks makes these:
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=swinkscftbl

The parts (and a lot more) are reflected on that page. PM him for details

#4522 1 year ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I don't think swinks makes the stand up sign.

aah, sorry, I was looking at the wrong mod/photo. I meant this: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-creature-movie-poster-mod

The lit Starlight sign with the arrow does look like a LightedPinballMods mod

9 months later
#4999 1 year ago
Quoted from hAbO:

RIP Ricou Browning who played The Creature From the Black Lagoon in the original 1954 film, has passed away at the age of 93. I met him a few years ago for a pic and autograph at a local show.
https://www.mystateline.com/news/last-original-universal-monster-creature-from-the-black-lagoon-actor-passes-away/
[quoted image]

Came here to post this. Thanks for beating me to it.. AWESOME, very nice guy. spfxted introduced us at a horror convention a few years ago. Got him to sign some posters for me, and I know Ted got a killer interview with him. Sad to see him go, he was the last living star from that film. Ricou played the Creature in all the underwater scenes, and a different actor, Ben Chapman played him on land.

1 week later
#5016 1 year ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I'd really like to try this mod. The only thing that turns me off about it is the black masking tape. I wish there was an alternative. I understand why it is needed, but I am a little too obsessive with looks and wouldn't be able to cope with the randomness of it. The potential residue left by the tape is also a turn off.
Does anyone have any reviews of the mod that they can share? Any ideas for alternative masking?

I mean, try the other mod. Or design (or pay someone) a different frame which doesn't require masking, and 3d print it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.95
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

€ 24.00
$ 27.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-fans-and-members-welcome?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.