IMG_4535 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4533 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4534 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4531 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6490 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6280 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikespinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2583 4 years ago

Excellent job! Also it's very bright and you can see it clearly as most holograms are originally a bit dim.

6 months later
#2850 4 years ago

Okay, only my opinion, but I don't like warm white in the GI's, too old style. Cool white along with color matching in areas looks good (match colors that highlights the plastics that are above them). I agree too much color on only one color is too much, but a good mix I feel makes the machine pop and modernize the machine. That is what I have done with mine.

20190802_155446 (resized).jpg20190802_155446 (resized).jpg20190923_135919 (resized).jpg20190923_135919 (resized).jpg20190825_130702 (resized).jpg20190825_130702 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#2929 4 years ago
Quoted from NJNeil:

Question - I am looking to add a mod to my CFTBL that requires power from the main board (Swinks Snackbar Mod RGB controller for neon strips). I bought a Mezel Mod power tap that goes into J116. I bought my CFTBL heavily modded and upon inspection it looks like there is already not one but two power tap splitters there already for mods (including the color changing speaker panel mod and something else that I cant quite tell). Is there any risk to daisy chaining a third power tap into that sequence so I have somewhere to plug in the RGB controller? I read elsewhere that the number of splits on one particular slot (in this case J116) does not matter but the total draw on the board is what matters. I already have a no-reset board that has perfectly dealt with my reset issue (happened almost every game). Should I be cautious to plug in the RGB controller or as long as daisy chained its fine? I put the new mezel mod power tap into J116 and put the existing daisy chain into that and turned on the game (without adding the RGB controller) and everything ran fine, including existing mods. Just checking w the forum before taking final step and plugging the actual RGB mod to it. I'm probably being a wimp but in the lockdown not getting a pinball tech over any time soon to fix any *real* problems I create so thought I would solicit opinions first. Thanks all

I too have had added alot of lighting mods to my Bally/Williams 90's machines. After two to three added plugs to J116, J117 and J118 thought like you it was time to remove the additional power to a separate source. My Twilight Zone looked like a mess in and around the area in the head. Did some checking and read of this company Mypinballs Electronics Mod Power Expander Board for WPC and WPC-95 Games https://mypinballs.com/electronics/store.jsp made a board specifically for this. I purchased two of these, one for my Creature and Twilight Zone. I mounted it in the lower left side of the bottom cabinet and added a separate 110V power source from the main power supply (that switches on/off with the cabinet switch). This got the mess out of the head and gave me peace of mind that I am not over loading the power driver board. This board is a bit expensive, but worth it.
Good luck....Mike

#2932 3 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Curious about this board... did you get the board that has power for 5V outputs too? How many mods can be connected to this board? Do you happen to have a picture of how yours is configured? From the main power supply to the expander board. Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your time.

Hi gac,
Good questions, here are the answers.
Yes, I did purchase the expander board with the option of 5V and 12V. This way I can choose either one by simply by where the wires are configured on the plug on the mod being plugged in.
There are 8 plug-ins on this board for mods. 8 12V or 8 5V or a combination of both, but 8 total.
Buying this board comes with it's own power supply that plugs into 120V AC. I modified (added to) the out going connection by the transformer the line for the power supply. The cable that comes with the kit has different colors than what we are use to here in the USA. That's because this company that makes this expansion board is out of our country. By some diagnostic work I was able to figure (see picture) that green was ground, blue was white (neutral) and brown was black (hot). In the long run I was just wanting a 120V power source that turns on/off with the cabinet switch.
Also you can see that I mounted this expansion board in the lower left side of the bottom cabinet. I did this mainly to eliminate more wires in the head and that most of the added mods are on the playfield.
I chose this board because it expanded the same style of plugs off the driver board j116, j117 and j118. Also because most of the mods people make plug into these plugs.
Hope this helps, ask me for any more help and I will answer the best I can. Good luck....Mike

20200421_081622 (resized).jpg20200421_081622 (resized).jpg20200421_081638 (resized).jpg20200421_081638 (resized).jpg20200421_081803 (resized).jpg20200421_081803 (resized).jpg20200421_081905 (resized).jpg20200421_081905 (resized).jpg
#2941 3 years ago

You said you "modified" and "...in the long run I was just wanting a 120v power source that turns on/off with the cabinet switch." This is ideal. How is the expander board normally powered on? You said it has its own 120v AC. Does it have its own switch that has to be powered on separately from the game?

Okay let me see if I can clarify this. When you purchase this kit you get the board and a power transformer with a power cord for powering the transformer along with a second cord that runs from the transformer to the board. The power cord is to be connected to a 120V power source of your choice.

I wanted to be able to power this board on/off without having to plug it in every time I wanted to play as the kit doesn't come with an on/off switch. So I like a clean look. Note: There is a power cord/outlet usually by the lower right side of the inside of the cabinet. This power source usually does not turn on/off with the underside cabinet switch and is usually used for a power source for your soldering iron.
So I found where the incoming 120V power source that does turn on/off with the cabinet switch at the plug connection by the transformer. I removed the two pins (one white/neutral and black/hot) and added the power cord connection there along tapping the ground wire on the side of the cabinet.

Once this is installed by turning on the cabinet switch you also turn on the power for the transformer that powers the expansion board.

I know this is not a plug in play and someone could make a connecting plug adapter for this 120V connection for those who would want it. I just did it for my self.

20200421_081803 (resized).jpg20200421_081803 (resized).jpg
#2942 3 years ago

Most customers wouldn't be able to modify the way you did, but a plug 'n' play cable wouldn't be that expensive to provide for WPC(95) users, correct?
When customers are leery about buying mods in fear of putting strain on their power supply, I'd like to be able to provide them with smart options.
If you're willing, I'd like more details on that outgoing connection by the transformer. It's unused, correct?

Yes, an adapter/plug connection at the transformer would not be too hard to make and not very expensive.
The connector where I plugged my power source for the expansion board transformer in is used as this is the connecting spot for power to the main pinball transformer. It was just an easy location to catch 120V that turned on/off with the cabinet switch.

#2944 3 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Thanks for all of the information Mike. How do you know which plug-ins are 12V or 5V? You say it's 8 12V or 8 5V or a combination of both?? I'm not understanding how this works.

I attached a picture of part of the installation instructions that comes with the expansion board. Yes, like others noted on the 3 prong connector (its 4 prong, but only 3 being used) has both choices for voltage on them. The far left as 5V next plug being GND (ground) and the third one 12V. The four one is not used as it's a pin plug so that you don't plug the connector in backwards. Take a look at the picture lower left. Hope this helps.
20200422_084048 (resized).jpg20200422_084048 (resized).jpg

#2945 3 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Hi Mike - You say you added a 110V power source. The board does not come with a power source? I would want something like you have in the picture that I could plug into the auxiliary outlet on the main power supply of the machine. I would not want to have to make a molex connector... just a regular grounded plug to go into a regular outlet. Thanks for your input. EDIT: I see that you said in your first post that the board comes with the a 120V power supply. This is what I would want ... with a normal outlet plug. Please confirm I'm thinking correctly. Thanks again.

Yes, it does come with its own power transformer and cord for power it. I don't remember, but I don't think it came with a 120V USA power cord end plug. I think just loose wires at the end as you will need to add a cord plug because this kit does come from the UK.

#2959 3 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Can the power cord that attaches to the power transformer be detached? In other words, can the power cord provided (with the loose wires) be unplugged from the transformer? If so, couldn't a regular cord with a normal three prong plug (like a computer power cord) be inserted into the tranformer and the three pronged plug be plugged into the service outlet?

Yes, I believe so that would work. The only difference is the one you get with the expansion board has just the wires loose at the plug-in connection for powering plug of your choice.

#2960 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Hi everyone, after many years of trying, I may be finally getting a Creech.
I would like to get one of Thompson's LED Speaker Panel mods for this. I was wondering if anyone else was interested? I am going to start putting a list of people together to hopefully get one last run of these done. I don't even know if this is possible. I just want to see the numbers before I pursue this.
LED Speaker Panel mod;
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-run-of-cftbl-led-speaker-panels#post-3954346
If interested, PM me your first, last name, and qty.
Thank you!

I would be interested in adding my name to the list.

7 months later
#3336 3 years ago
Quoted from Darkfader:

Hey guys a new Creature owner here, I just made a video on my new to me cftbl, Did some cool mods to it...please give it a watch!

Great video and enjoy it very much, well done! Welcome to owning a Creature.
Note: on a couple of things. LED lighting, I never buy the kits due to you are limited to what they send you. I always buy many different colors to make my own choice. Frosted LEDs work best in the upper GI playfield lighting due to the glare factor back at you during game play.
Your machine has many more mods than you showed. Would like to hear about the other's installed.
The video showed you putting LED's in the Creature ramp and whirlpool (individual), but are LED strip lighting in the video at the end. What did you do to make the change? How does it work with the control board?
Would recommend removing all parts on the playfield before cleaning that includes the metal lanes, star posts and posts. Clean these all separately and replace star posts as needed. Works better on a complete shop out job.
None of this is meant to be critical, but hopefully helpful.

#3388 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I tend to avoid kits. They tend to be made to the tastes of someone else and I'm a picky son of a bitch. I have to get what I want. Flex heads are always on my pins.

I agree, I bought the kits in the beginning, but as you found out I too am very picky and want my own choice of LED colors to work with. I have made up my own collection of LED choices when I do a machine. Probably have too much invested do to the many different colors, but I like options!

20201201_182132 (resized).jpg20201201_182132 (resized).jpg20201201_182146 (resized).jpg20201201_182146 (resized).jpg
#3399 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

This is the PinballBulbs kit I bought a couple of years ago. I really like how it doesn't clown puke the GI with an oversaturation of green and purple. The only lamps that haven't been changed are the ramp and whirlpool lights.
That being said, I'm done buying kits, like Mikespinball I want to make my own choices. Even though I had a pretty good selection already, I couldn't resist the Black Friday special at Comet and bought a ton of bulbs.
[quoted image]

To me I do use a bit of color in my GI circuits in the above playfield. Usually I use some color along with white so that I don't make rainbow puke usually matching to the playfield plastic that's above the light socket.

When I did a refurbish on this machine I also changed out the red pop bumper caps to blue and lit them as if you look at the playfield art work in that area it is a under water scene. Also the pop bumper area of the machine originally is very dark. I also added about 10+ more GI lighting in that area other than lighting the pop bumpers themselves. Here are a few pictures of my machine.

20190924_131712 (resized).jpg20190924_131712 (resized).jpg20191220_174835 (resized).jpg20191220_174835 (resized).jpgoutput-2 (resized).jpgoutput-2 (resized).jpgoutput-6 (resized).jpgoutput-6 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#3619 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Debating on chrome shooter housing - to balance with the chrome on the megaphone part of the decal near the start - or go black?

Sorry, but not the Creature.....I had chrome on my TZ first, but changed the shooter out to black to match the rest. Again I think either way works (looks great) as it's a personal choice.

20201030_162611 (resized).jpg20201030_162611 (resized).jpg20210202_174433 (resized).jpg20210202_174433 (resized).jpg
1 year later
#4446 2 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

I have a similar issue, color dmd images go on the fritz and coils randomly go off. There's tons of mods on mine. So guessing it's a power issue. Was thinking of getting an accessory power board. Saw one for 99 bucks on pinside market. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1233-arcade-upkeep/03718-dual-voltage-mod-power-supply-kit
Anyone have experience with this?

Yes I have. I had to put a mod expander board on my TZ, TAF and CFTBL due to too many mods. I purchased the Mod Power Expander Board for WPC and WPC-95 Games from My Pinballs: https://mypinballs.com/ I like the way the board looks and the power source is small. I just added a 120V plugin in the cabinet so it turns on/off with the game switch.

1 week later
#4456 1 year ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Where can I find a replacement board for the Unlimited millions?
A-15666, Marco is out.
Anyone have one to sell?
Thanks,
[quoted image]

Let me check I think I have one.

2 weeks later
#4487 1 year ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

Any photos? I considered black mirrors

Here is my Creature with regular mirror blades.

20190924_131712 (resized).jpg20190924_131712 (resized).jpg20210812_065034 (resized).jpg20210812_065034 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#4501 1 year ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

For those of you with leds, what did you go with for the ramps and bowl? Mine came with green, but I'm considering changing to cool white. Going for cool white with green and purple rubbers and posts

I did green on the main ramp and blue on the whirlpool.

4 months later
#4694 1 year ago

They are dimmable by an adjustment on the board itself. Have these style of LEDs on all my machine's and really like the look.

1 month later
#4770 1 year ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

OK, so I'm fixing up a Creech which is a well-routed old trooper.
Here is the state of the Snack Bar Scoop Hole.
Any advice as to fixing this back up as well as I can?
Planning to install Mantis or Cliffy over it but obviously need to fix the hole up first.
Thanks,
RussMyers
[quoted image]

I watched a repair on a Monster Bash pit hole that had a similar hole damage as yours. It was on a video that was made from This Old Pinball (Norm and Saggy). http://www.pinrepair.com/top/
They used JB Weld. I have done this on many repairs since watching their video and it works great.

2 weeks later
#4806 1 year ago
Quoted from AJC3030:

Anyone added an external power supply to creature ? I'm installing the Hollomodsp and the directions they gave for the power supply make zero sense to me

I have done this on a number of my Bally/Williams machines. PM me and I will help walk you through it if you want.

7 months later
#5174 9 months ago

Just got back from Oregon Power Coating my CFTBL legs, cabinet side trim, lock down bar and head brackets. Had them all done in black hammered. I like this look as it makes you focus on the side art work and not what I had plated. It turned out very impressive.

20230703_135336 (resized).jpg20230703_135336 (resized).jpg20230703_135343 (resized).jpg20230703_135343 (resized).jpg20230703_135356 (resized).jpg20230703_135356 (resized).jpg20230703_135410 (resized).jpg20230703_135410 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#5225 8 months ago

Just picked up this mod. I like the addition to the machine.

IMG_0145 (resized).jpegIMG_0145 (resized).jpegIMG_0146 (resized).jpegIMG_0146 (resized).jpegIMG_0147 (resized).jpegIMG_0147 (resized).jpeg
#5230 8 months ago

Here is a link to contact him on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1017312555443636/permalink/1614559542385598/?mibextid=W9rl1R
I contacted him through Facebook to purchase it.
It was $255.93 EUROS which included shipping.

4 weeks later
#5263 7 months ago

Would you be adding the chase lights to this too?

2 months later
#5461 5 months ago

Looks great. Question: what paint did you use and spray equipment? I am looking to pass on spray paint and move to an airless gun with water clean up paint.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 27.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 24.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikespinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-fans-and-members-welcome?tu=mikespinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.