IMG_0500 (resized).jpg
IMG_0498 (resized).jpg
IMG_0433 (resized).jpg
IMG_6548.jpeg
IMG_4535 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4533 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4534 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4531 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deleenhe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3691 3 years ago

After a couple of years of trying I am happy to say I am now a member. I bought a machine that looks fantastic but I need to troubleshoot a couple of problems to get it up and running. One question right off the bat, I thought that my left ramp was broken as it has a gap in the left side but looking at photos of others I think it is supposed to be this way. I am just curious how the ramp is supported on the left side as it is just resting on the sheet metal bracket at that point and it can just float around vs. being screwed down. Photo attached, please advise if this is correct of if something is missing. I am also curious if the playfield is original, it looks absolutely perfect which had me thinking it was a reproduction but then i saw the Jan 1993 stamp on the edge and I am having second thoughts, perhaps this has never seen an arcade? I have attached a photo of that and the barcode on the playfield, if anyone has clues as to origin I would love to know. Thanks!

IMG_4562 (resized).JPGIMG_4562 (resized).JPGIMG_4565 (resized).JPGIMG_4565 (resized).JPGIMG_4566 (resized).JPGIMG_4566 (resized).JPG
#3695 3 years ago

Thanks Fifty , I will line those up (I did wonder what those holes were for on my Diner!). Here's some more shots. The cabinet is new with vinyl graphics vs paint but looks amazing. It has the Mike D hologram mod but I have taken it out, it is not getting power and the flippers are not working so I think there is a broader electrical problem to figure out. I'm sure I will have some questions on that. Another question (one of many), the black sockets in the backbox are mostly empty, not sure why, are these different than the white ones? Thanks.

IMG_4571 (resized).JPGIMG_4571 (resized).JPGIMG_4573 (resized).JPGIMG_4573 (resized).JPGIMG_4575 (resized).JPGIMG_4575 (resized).JPGIMG_4576 (resized).JPGIMG_4576 (resized).JPGIMG_4577 (resized).JPGIMG_4577 (resized).JPGIMG_4578 (resized).JPGIMG_4578 (resized).JPG
#3704 3 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

The PinballMikeD holo mod and The Snackbar Mod v1 both use 12vdc and both of these bring the machine close to it's limits otherwise will pop a fuse.
Was the el wire still working on the Snackbar Mod? The small el wire inverter may also be at the end of it's life. I changed the Snackbar Mod to GI powered edge lit light blades from the v2 and onwards so not as power hungry if coupled with PinballMikeD's mod and a ColorDMD.
Also by the way, very nice looking game.

Hi, if you mean edge lighting, no, it was not working. The red light on top was working but not the lighting around the edge. I haven't tried to look at that yet or even if it is connected properly (theres a bundle of wires and a little box all zip-tied together). I will disconnect it for now until I get further. I have another thread on the go to help diagnose the problem (no success yet...) https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-flippers-but-work-in-test-menuwpc#post-6135882

#3760 3 years ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

Thanks fifty , I will line those up (I did wonder what those holes were for on my Diner!). Here's some more shots. The cabinet is new with vinyl graphics vs paint but looks amazing. It has the Mike D hologram mod but I have taken it out, it is not getting power and the flippers are not working so I think there is a broader electrical problem to figure out. I'm sure I will have some questions on that. Another question (one of many), the black sockets in the backbox are mostly empty, not sure why, are these different than the white ones? Thanks.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I am happy to say I am now up and running with a beautiful machine! I thought I would share my troubleshooting experience with the VUKs. When I got the machine, the flippers were dead and the lower VUK was firing continuously, balls wouldn't load at the bottom or eject into the shooter lane, lights were out in the backbox. After fixing a couple of broken wires and reseating all the connectors, the remaining problem was then whenever the lower VUK fired, the machine would reboot and sometimes blow fuse F5. After swapping the wires on the VUKs, the problem remained with the lower one. I took the coil out, it looked new. I decided to order another and when I checked the manual I realized that the upper and lower coils were in the wrong place, ie the upper one was AE-26-1200 and the lower was AE-23-800. The manual says they should be opposite. On closer inspection I found that due to the bigger diameter of the yellow -800 coil, it was such a tight fit in the metal housing of the VUK that it was rubbing on the housing and over time had worn through the paper and wire insulation and was shorting to the bracket when it fired, hence the reboot and blowing fuse. I temporarily taped the coil while I order a new one, installed them in their proper locations and everything is working perfectly. The photos below show the -800, it's damage, and the green -1200 now in the correct spot with lots of clearance to the bracket. Thanks to everyone in the other thread here ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-flippers-but-work-in-test-menuwpc) who pointed me in various right directions through the process. Now to get the Mike D mod reinstalled and tested...

IMG_4624 (resized).JPGIMG_4624 (resized).JPGIMG_4627 (resized).JPGIMG_4627 (resized).JPGIMG_4637 (resized).JPGIMG_4637 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#3796 3 years ago
Quoted from WinterMillennium:

Greetings folks,
What's occurring here? I've tried changing the DMD board fuses, more in hope than expectation, but no joy... board gone?

I had a similar problem, check the wires on connector J604. I had a bad connection of wire J604-2 to the pin and it was causing tons of "static" on the display and eventually the display periodically going completely blank.

1 week later
#3810 3 years ago

Hey Folks,
Every time my pop bumpers fire, I am getting a burst/pop of static through the speakers. It's volume follows the sound volume of the machine, ie. if I turn the volume up, the static is lounder, down it is quieter. I have only had the machine for a few weeks and not sure if I didn't notice it before but I can't unhear it now. Is this a common problem?

#3817 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Sounds like you're getting some phantom voltage back through the speakers. Maybe one of the diodes has gone bad on the lightning board?

I checked the diodes, they seemed fine. I eventually disconnected that board altogether and it made no difference. Each pop bumper makes a slightly different sound as well, the one on the right being the loudest. After a bunch of messing around I have found that I get a similiar but fainter static sound when the sling coils fire and nothing from the flippers, outhole or the VUK's. I also noted that none of the coils have diodes across their terminals, I don't know if this is normal or could contribute. Any ideas?

2 months later
#3909 2 years ago

Does anyone have info on the proper factory parts for the playfield trunnions on the Creature? A previous owner has jury-rigged mine but it's pretty poor, some rubber that is zip-tied to the pins. I can't find anything in the manual explaining these parts so I would appreciate any insight into the right parts and hopefully where I can find them. Thanks!

IMG_5231 (resized).JPGIMG_5231 (resized).JPGIMG_5232 (resized).JPGIMG_5232 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#3954 2 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

Whaddy’all think? I think it’s coming along nicely, I’ll do the siderails in the evening and start prepping the insides tomorrow. Might need to scavenge more grounding braid from somewhere…
[quoted image]

For the inexperienced like me, where do folks get the artwork for reconditioned cabinets? That one looks amazing!

1 week later
#3983 2 years ago
Quoted from Zee:

FYI it's pretty easy to make your own wire ball gates out of stainless steel welding wire. A couple pair of needle-nose pliers and off you go...

Bicycle spokes have worked pretty good for me.

1 week later
#4008 2 years ago

As I was tinkering with my machine tonight, I noticed a small (~1/2"long) metal spacer screwed to the underside of the ramp that exits at the left inlane (the "right ramp"). It is just under the swimmer sticker on the whirlpool ramp. It is just suspended in space and doesn't screw to a post or anything else (see photos). Is this correct? That ramp is supported at the entrance and at the exit but is unuspported along its entire length. Everything works great, it just seems odd. Thanks.

IMG_5317 (resized).jpgIMG_5317 (resized).jpgIMG_5318 (resized).jpgIMG_5318 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#4022 2 years ago

Here’s a question for the pro Creech players. How do you stop or control the ball coming down the right inlane? I can’t stop it and just have to try a moving shot and hope for the best. Not a successful strategy so far…

2 weeks later
#4055 2 years ago

I am having an intermittent problem, when I first turn on the game, often the PAID rollover lanes do not register anything. I have tried manually activating all 4 of the switches and nothing happens. If I end the game and start a new one, all the switches work. If I power down and restart, typically they all work as well. All the switches work fine in the test menu. Thoughts?

1 week later
#4085 2 years ago
Quoted from Paseb:

anyone has a CFTBL for sale in NY ? ideally close to Quebec border.

One came up in Ottawa on Kijiji, check it out here:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-toys-games/ottawa/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-pinball-machine/1580233356

1 month later
#4170 2 years ago

I am having a strange problem with my Creature, today when I turned it on, it made a sound like a ringing telephone that lasted for about 10 seconds. It froze and was unresponsive. I cycled the power and this problem happened several times and then it booted and played normally. Now it is booting but still making the ringing noise. Any idea what this is?

1 week later
#4177 2 years ago
Quoted from stumblor:

First things first - reseat the ribbon cables, specifically the CPU to sound card one.

Mission accomplished - thanks. Before I reseated the cables, after the telephone ring it was like the sound was playing at about 20% speed for other sound and music, very weird.

#4178 2 years ago

On the subject of lighting, is there a way to achieve proper dimming of GI LEDs on this game and maintain the chase light function of the ramps? I like the brightness of the LEDs but not the flicker when it is dimming. Reading about OCD boards it seems like they will kill the chase light effect but maybe it's been solved. Thanks.

4 weeks later
#4209 2 years ago

I downloaded the latest .zip file but the date on the pin2dmd.pal file (which I think is what I have to copy to my SD card) says June 22, 2019. Is this correct or am I somehow getting the original file? Thanks so much for this work, I love the original and can't wait for this update!

UPDATE! I was looking in the wrong place (twice!), the correct file is here:

https://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/7707-creature-from-the-black-lagoon-64-colour-real/

Now to get it installed...

#4213 2 years ago

Thanks for the update, Slippi, it looks amazing!

#4222 2 years ago

For folks in Canada, see Dino here:

https://www.pinballrevolution.com/threads/pin2dmd-replacement-colour-led-dmd-panels-128x32-smaller-de-128x16-panels-and-larger-192x64-also-available.9685/

I got my display from him, plug and play with excellent install support.

#4243 2 years ago

I am having a problem with the left flipper sticking "on". I think I have traced it to the spring around the shaft shown in the photo, I think the coils of the spring are locking up when it is compressed (I think there may be two springs on top of each other). Checking the manual I don't see any spring in the diagram or parts list yet it is present on both flippers and also on my Diner machine. Is a spring needed in this location?

IMG_5764 (resized).JPGIMG_5764 (resized).JPG
#4253 2 years ago

I'm looking for some electrical troubleshooting help. I was having some spontaneous game resets (when flipping both flippers) that I was previously able to temporarily fix by reseating connectors J101 and J114. That was no longer working so following the Pinwiki guide, I replaced the header pins on those two connectors and repinned them with trifurcon pins. The pins on J101 were really rough looking. The reset problem is gone (yay!) but when I connected everything back together, I noticed that the GI lighting under both of the slings is not lit. I was tracing wires around and noticed a white-violet wire running to J119. When I touched J119 (which is on a bit of a jaunty angle like the header pins are bent downwards), both VUK's started firing. I was able to repeat the problem by wiggling J119. The GI lighting did not come back on (or flicker). I'm trying to figure out if there is any relationship between these two problems. I am thinking at minimum I need to replace header pins on J119 and repin that connector but I'm hoping for some thoughts on whether this relates to the GI lighting somehow. Note that my machine had Mike D's video mod which introduces a bunch of stuff down by the coin door interface board which J119 apparently feeds. Any advice out there?

#4254 2 years ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

I'm looking for some electrical troubleshooting help. I was having some spontaneous game resets (when flipping both flippers) that I was previously able to temporarily fix by reseating connectors J101 and J114. That was no longer working so following the Pinwiki guide, I replaced the header pins on those two connectors and repinned them with trifurcon pins. The pins on J101 were really rough looking. The reset problem is gone (yay!) but when I connected everything back together, I noticed that the GI lighting under both of the slings is not lit. I was tracing wires around and noticed a white-violet wire running to J119. When I touched J119 (which is on a bit of a jaunty angle like the header pins are bent downwards), both VUK's started firing. I was able to repeat the problem by wiggling J119. The GI lighting did not come back on (or flicker). I'm trying to figure out if there is any relationship between these two problems. I am thinking at minimum I need to replace header pins on J119 and repin that connector but I'm hoping for some thoughts on whether this relates to the GI lighting somehow. Note that my machine had Mike D's video mod which introduces a bunch of stuff down by the coin door interface board which J119 apparently feeds. Any advice out there?

Update - I replaced header pins and put a new connector on J119 which fixed the VUK problem. As I was plugging everything back in I found a broken wire on J120 which has now fixed the GI lights. The broken wire was from a previous repinning job someone did and they way over-crimped the pin, maybe with pliers, and did not capture any insulation in the outer part of the crimp. I am getting the feeling I should just repin all the connectors and be done with it but I would miss out on all the troubleshooting fun.

52B15526-85B5-4DFE-A10A-19E3F63CCE31 (resized).jpeg52B15526-85B5-4DFE-A10A-19E3F63CCE31 (resized).jpegA4B2B0D5-748A-47C4-A42C-C4E1D4B90B77 (resized).jpegA4B2B0D5-748A-47C4-A42C-C4E1D4B90B77 (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#4328 2 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

The Pin2DMD version has it correct. I was leaning towards a ColorDMD, but Pin2DMD was a better deal and @slippyfish has done a fantastic job on the re-coloring of his original final. It's absolutely outstanding!

I vigorously agree, with the latest Pin2DMD firmware to 256 colours the animations are amazing and the bugs of previous versions have been fixed.

1 month later
#4351 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Decided to do some much needed upgrades to my Creature with cleaning, lighting, and installing some mods I've bought over the past couple years before my game moves into the Northwest Pinball Collective space in Seattle for my peeps to play. Thought's on the exposed switch on the whirlpool? I got a sticker for covering it with either the Stumblor or Swinks Snack Bar mods, but what is the best option for covering it? I saw this Swinks cover: https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZHPRRKHSF/cftbl-pinball-whirlpool-bowl-cover-for-mrs-switch
But it's kinda textured and I can't see the Whirlpool sticker sticking to it too well. Has anyone tried this? Or is there a clear plastic alternative that works better? I mean, anything is gonna look better than nothing, but I wanna know my options. Thanks!

Do you have the MRS (Magnetic Reed Swtich) from Sonic installed or are you trying to cover the original microswitch. The MRS is so small I didn't see the need for a cover (see below) although you still see the connector for the lights on the bowl. I'm not sure the Swinks cover will work on top of the microswitch as it looks like it needs to fit flush with the top of the bowl where the microswitch would mount.

IMG_6771 (resized).JPGIMG_6771 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#4376 2 years ago
Quoted from MThompson:

Awesome. Try replying to soren's post and offer him the use of your MikeD mod. Hopefully he'll respond and take you up on the offer. Finger's crossed. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-williams-and-bally-software-upgrades/page/15#post-6813929

I am using the v5 ROM with the Mike D mod and it seems to be working normally. What behaviour are others seeing?

1 month later
#4441 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Thx
found some rechargable Li-Ion batts as well but wonder if 720mAh (€7,-) is ok or need rather a 1500mAh (up to €50,-) or are the ones installed non rechargeable... what's best to use in the long run ?
I will require a bit of soldering but that's ok.

If you are good with soldering go with an NVRAM, get rid of the batteries for good!

#4447 2 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

I have a similar issue, color dmd images go on the fritz and coils randomly go off. There's tons of mods on mine. So guessing it's a power issue. Was thinking of getting an accessory power board. Saw one for 99 bucks on pinside market. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1233-arcade-upkeep/03718-dual-voltage-mod-power-supply-kit
Anyone have experience with this?

Check out connectors J119, J120, and J115. I had problems with low voltage resets and with the VUK's firing spontaneously and redoing these connectors solved all the issues. I am running the Mike D video mod but nothing else.

4 weeks later
#4497 1 year ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

Anyone know where I can get a color dmd for creature? Everywhere seems to be out. Also where do you get your mirror blades?
Just ordered the upkick replacement holo!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Contact @dzorbas, he supplies PIN2DMD displays, I have put one in my Creech and AFM and they are awesome. He is very responsive and provides great after sales support for install etc.

It's an amazing upgrade to this machine, the latest animations and colour of the display are fantastic.

11 months later
#5100 11 months ago
Quoted from Pinbarclay:

Hi all,
My wife wants to get me a Creature upgrade/mod for a birthday present. It's my first machine and she knows how much I love it. She's asked for suggestions, and I've come up with ColorDMD, Pinsound, LED light package / Pinstadium. Any suggestions? If I were to request LED lights, I'm not even sure where to start.

ColorDMD or PIN2DMD- amazing in this game.

5 months later
#5440 6 months ago
Quoted from damadczar:

I've been meaning to do this mod. I like the purple too. I might do the two top ones purple and the lower one teal.
Just for variety.
How do folks like tying them into the pops? I'd honestly rather just tie them into the GI to get constant light back there.

I went right down the middle with purple caps and green LED rings and I think it looks awesome when the game is on or off.

IMG_9996 (resized).JPGIMG_9996 (resized).JPGIMG_9998 (resized).JPGIMG_9998 (resized).JPG
3 months later
#5601 83 days ago
Quoted from Tortelvis:

I have the mikeD mod too and generally I really like it, but the drawback with it is that it doesn’t function with the roms Soren made. I wish someone smarter than me could figure out how to make them compatible.

I have the Mike D mod and it works fine with the 5.0 ROM on my machine, maybe I just got lucky?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 9.95
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.95
€ 24.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deleenhe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-fans-and-members-welcome?tu=deleenhe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.