IMG_0500 (resized).jpg
IMG_0498 (resized).jpg
IMG_0433 (resized).jpg
IMG_6548.jpeg
IMG_4535 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4533 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4534 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4531 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobwiley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2296 5 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

I used this without the glass shelf for my creech topper. I even wired up the headlights to flash during move your car too
amazon.com link »

Do you hsppen to have a picture, or better yet a video of the shelf with the lights flashing?

1 year later
1 year later
#4265 2 years ago

If anyone in the midwest has a spare Creature machine they would like to rehome let me know. Hoping to join the club!

Added over 2 years ago:

A local pinsider reached out to me and was kind enough to part with his Creature so my wife and I can play our favorite machine!

#4267 2 years ago

Thanks, the only two machines I've ever really wanted to keep forever were Hook and Creature. Been saving and picking up extra hours when I can for quite some time.

#4270 2 years ago

DB62 sent you a PM.

#4279 2 years ago

Super excited to finally be a part of this club! I set up the machine last night right before going to work after bringing it home, and only had enough time to play one ball...meanwhile while I was working all night my wife was plugging in her initials for high scores.... sigh, just once I'd like to have a shot at making high score!

My machine is just gorgeous, but I have a snag. When we moved it, I don't think the translight was locked, so the speaker panel, dmd panel and translite were on the glass when we went to lift up the head. The translite got scratched in a couple of places. Normally I'd just leave it, but it's quite noticeable because the rest of the machine looks so good.

So have many Creature fans seen the mirrored backglass by CPR now? How does it look? I'd like to have more traditional incandescent warm lighting behind it rather than white or colored LEDs. Does it look more natural and better with the deep blacks and silver in real life than the photos? I love the look of the stock translite, so hate to spend more if it doesn't have that same vibe and tone of the original.

If I go with a repo translite, are all sellers equal?

And swinks I've daydreamed and drooled over your snackbar mod since V.1. It is even more amazing in person! Great job man!

Finally, thanks to everyone reaching out and keeping their eyes out to find a Creature!

Thanks!

2 months later
#4317 2 years ago

Okay, call me crazy, but wouldn't it make sense if you got the hot dog award when you hit the snack bar the hit dog target would light up? let the pretzel be a filler, but gimme lit targets for ice cream ,soda, hot dog and popcorn! =p

Mod idea for the artistic bunch: the playground plastic would be great if it was standing up vertically and had a 3d printed slide or something. Would be helpful for newbies for visuals and look cool

Also, the color dmd for the kiss scenes drives me crazy, the 3d glasses are supposed to have one lens blue and the other red for the couple. the color dmd is really really nice, thanks to everybody who put in work to get that made!

Swinks snack bar mod with Stumblor Pinball's neon lighting kit is just gorgeous!

3 months later
#4445 2 years ago

I have a similar issue, color dmd images go on the fritz and coils randomly go off. There's tons of mods on mine. So guessing it's a power issue. Was thinking of getting an accessory power board. Saw one for 99 bucks on pinside market. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1233-arcade-upkeep/03718-dual-voltage-mod-power-supply-kit

Anyone have experience with this?

3 months later
#4611 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball13:

Question regarding power for the Lighted Speaker Panel. Purchased the panel and when I test it the LCD Color DMD does not work. Currently the game has Stadium Lights and the Color LCD running without issue. I am obviously in need of more power than is available to add the speaker panel but wondering if anyone else has had this issue or has suggestions how to run all 3 of these adds at once. Thanks

I'm having issues! I have lighted speaker panels, color dmd, pinsound, lighted side rail lights, stumblor's snackbar addition to swinks snack bar mod, the cabinet woofer amp, and I recently added stumblor whirlpool light ramp. Once I put it the whirlpool ramp light board I got power issues where the color dmd display was being all wonky and the flippers would be weird (sticking up, randomly flipping or unresponsive). People posted I need to get an external power source, which I plan on doing. I just wanted to figure out where to put my leads to test the voltage going to the flippers and various additions to make sure that's what it is and not something else as well, like my main power or something going bad. Been sort of short on time, but would like it sorted out this week. I'm going to order the solderless xpon rectifier board for my paragon this week as my connector pins are burnt up, so just seeing if theres anything else i should put on the order... Are you having flipper issues too? That's my big issue, now my color dmd is going fine but both flippers will randomly stick up, or flip on their own or not flip....

#4613 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Hey mate so this is almost certainly the 12v rail getting overloaded (the chase echo is powered via that 12v source) colour dmd same. Not sure about your other mods but more than likely 12v. Without getting deep into the schematics I can't say why this is affecting your flippers but prob related (someone else chime in?).
Getting an external PSU when running lots of mods is always a good idea, and that would be my advice here. More info on how to do that here
https://stumblorpinball.com/blogs/news/adding-an-external-psu-to-a-pinball-machine-wpc
Feel free to PM any questions

Thanks for the info!

2 months later
#4762 1 year ago

Just an update for anyone who experiences a similar problem. My creature has quite a few accessories. Color dmd, rev A2 (which is the led version to my understanding, so 12v), swinks snack bar mod, stumblor move your snack bar lighting mod, pinwoofer, pinsound, and stumblor chase echo board. Everything was working fine, the last mod I added was the chase echo board. After that was installed, I started to have the flippers sporadically flipping. I figured it was too much demand on the power supply so I got arcade upkeep's dual power supply board to see if that resolved the issue. It did the trick. Although I have the dual supply power plugged in the outlet by the coin door which I think stays on all the time... I haven't looked at it, but I noticed the color dmd display stays in for a second or two longer when I turn the game off and it looks like the pinwoofer amp board red led is on after I shut the game off.

In other news, my hologram light lights up, the mirror shots, but the hologram does not, so I need to look into that. I really wish I had good art and programming skills. The Looking Glass Portrait looks like the perfect platform to do something for the playfield window. It's a holographic display eith a pretty good viewing angle. I k ow a previous pinsider mentioned it awhile back. Like if mikeD or the holomodsp could use that, and at least do the creature scen in 3d it would be amazing.

#4775 1 year ago

The hologram is supposed to move as well as the mirror correct? Might need to get a brighter lamp. Mine isn't lit very well and the hologram is stationary.

#4778 1 year ago
Quoted from j_m_:

yes, there are 2 motors for this assembly. one that moves the mirror (side to side) a bit and the 2nd which drives a cam that [flexs] the middle, separated section of the hologram a bit. I believe the desired effect was supposed to distort the hologram as if the creature was underwater.

Awesome, thank you. Was curious how it was supposed to move and look!

#4781 1 year ago

Honestly a write up of comparisons for the two routes of original hologram alternatives would be really nice.

In the static image route we have:
1. reproduction holograms, which to my understanding are different from the original
2. light up figurines/action figures
3. acryllic etched image of the creature

In interactive replacements we have:
1. MikeD mod (no longer in production)
2. Holomodsp
3. Someone I thought was going to make one like the MikeD mod but stepped aside when holomodsp was announced...correct? Any word on that?

Anything I'm missing?

Me, I'd dig a Looking Glass Portrait mod, where it's a hologram frame that can display pictures and videos. That would take some (a lot!) of work, but would fit the needs of both camps, holographic AND interactive. https://www.blendernation.com/2022/01/04/looking-glass-portrait-review/

Has anyone had both the MikeD mod and the holomodsp? What's the vote on traditionalists vs. fancy screens? Anyone switch from one side to the other regret it?

1 month later
#4885 1 year ago

Okay, get ready for a slew of help posts over the next few days. My creature when turned off resets to factory settings and after a game or two the flippers stop working. Batteries are good. I can press the buttons and they might wiggle but won't full flip. Also, sometimes the sound stops working. It's a pinsound board. The game previously worked fine, but has lots or mods (lights, sound, color dmd, etc). I have the color dmd running on a separate power supply, albeit its electricity is coming from the outlet in the cabinet and I unplugged the whirlpool aftermarket board to reduce draw. Any starting tips would be greatly appreciated!

3 weeks later
#4955 1 year ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Okay, get ready for a slew of help posts over the next few days. My creature when turned off resets to factory settings and after a game or two the flippers stop working. Batteries are good. I can press the buttons and they might wiggle but won't full flip. Also, sometimes the sound stops working. It's a pinsound board. The game previously worked fine, but has lots or mods (lights, sound, color dmd, etc). I have the color dmd running on a separate power supply, albeit its electricity is coming from the outlet in the cabinet and I unplugged the whirlpool aftermarket board to reduce draw. Any starting tips would be greatly appreciated!

Okay, ya'll were spared of my slew of posts! Here's the update, the voltage was low at the flippers and coming out of the board. Turns out the fuse was causing the voltage drop! So I lucked out. Just really crazy that the fuse was still "good" but when current would go through it it would drop the voltage. Everything is working like it should/was. Oh, and there was the slightest hint/film of corrosion on one of the battery terminals, so that was causing the factory restore. Thanks to everyone for there tips. They led me trouble shoot in all the right areas!

Also, I got a hold of a looking glass portrait. I really think this has the potential to be the solution for what people are looking for. The looking glass portrait plus the system Robert Goebel
Pinshakers LLC came up with could do the trick. I need to measure it out, but basically its a hologram display where we could have a moving creature hologram, or a static one that would play during multiball. If someone really wanted they could do it up like the miked or holomod sp units, but someone would need to render up images. Let me make sure it fits first. But maybe we could all pool our talents together and make ideal hologram replacement.

1 month later
#5056 1 year ago
Quoted from FantasticPinball:

Has anyone done a Creature playfield swap and thus have a worn playfield for sale? I have a client doing a retheme that wants me to print a custom playfield for them. It does not have to be pretty because it will be sanded bare.
Fantastic

Interesting. What's the retheme? I gotta say, this is one of the few pins I'd wanna do a retheme on, the art and theming really are what knock the game outta the park! I dunno if the game would be a keeper for me unless the art and theme integration are at the same level... I would be interested in updating/adding more dmd animations (in same style) and if I had the money at least customize the car speaker cover to feature the cars my family has had and our favorite cars through the years... but then that would take it outta the 50's for period accuracy. good luck, keep us posted!

1 month later
#5106 11 months ago

I concur, all those mods are great. I would have a hard time ranking them. I guess maybe go off what your family is into. If you love music, the pinsound board is fantastic. If your family doesn't play it much, but just has it on to look at the backglass/art, the tailight mod is wonderful. The color dmd is great, and the swinks snackbar mod legit should be standard on every game.

#5107 11 months ago

Repair update: A while back I had posted I have having what seemed to be some power related issues. My audio would go out, display would freeze or go out, weak or non-functioning flippers and occasionally the game would reset. I did find some very slight corrosion on the battery contact which was causing the settings to reset. I added a secondary power supply to handle the colordmd and I still was having issues.

The final fix was sending it to ChrisHibler He repaired the driver board (a-12697-1 )and the MPU. It was fantastic. Works great now, his communication and turnaround time was awesome. He even sent me a video link of my board repair. He replaced some parts and put the nvram replacement in so I don't have to worry about batteries. My only regret was not sending it out sooner since I was dealing with intermittent problems for months. Thanks to everyone for helping me narrow down where to look for the root of my problems!

#5117 11 months ago

I'd really love to make a playground slide that holds a sign over there. So many times I have to point out that shot to people!

3 months later
#5248 8 months ago

I have the looking glass portrait I'm gonna try demoing in the fall winter. I really think that will be slick, even if it's just a still frame. Combine that with Mike's animations or do the renderings of the holomodsp it would be the grand slam mod that might just get close to being as awesome as the snackbar mod!

1 month later
#5349 7 months ago

If you do the mod, my only hesitation is travel time I think. If you manage to compare how long it takes for the ball to go from point a to b that would be really useful info.

#5355 7 months ago

Honestly, if you were to redo the ramp, forget the whole go left then back up around parking and snackbar. Just swing it around snackbar. Opens up the playfield visuals more and makes the game quicker. I'd probably be game for that.

1 month later
#5467 5 months ago

It's beautiful! Just don't let me thouch any restored pin, somehow I always wreck things!

#5468 5 months ago

swinks your snack bar mod is just amazing. When you're bored and feeling creative, take a gander at the slide shot. That area is barren of signage, newbies don't get that shot. They forget it's there. Maybe a light up playground sign or a 3d metal slide that highlights the award. I dunno, if I were a real estate developer, I would say that's prime real estate to be developed!

2 months later
#5596 84 days ago

So now that the holomodsd has been out for awhile, how does it compare to the MikeD mod. Is it the difference of someone preferring Coke vs. Pepsi, or is the MikeD mod significantly better? The art on the holomodsd seems pretty good, I remember thinking the MikeD mod saying "shoot the left ramp" was pretty neat... I still have an idea with the Looking Glass hologram frame I need to test out too.

4 weeks later
#5651 54 days ago
Quoted from rogerdodger:

Hi Guys:
I need some speaker/sound system advice, please.
I would like the sound to be a little better than factory, so answers to the following would be appreciated from those who have added these to their CFTBL:
1 Upgraded speakers... Any point in upgrading stock speakers considering we have a 30 year old soundtrack? If yes, please suggest what brand of new speakers to install.
2 Pinsound and Pinwoofer... I'm trying to avoid spending $400 to $600 on the Creature sound if possible but would consider it if it makes an incredible difference. I'm not looking to download new speech or music but just wanting the factory sound to be as good as it can be.
If just upgrading the current factory speakers makes a noticable improvement, then that would be good enough for me.
Opinions from those who have upgraded would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Roger

I can't speak to speaker upgrades, but as a general "purist" I am in love with the pinsound board. There are mixes with the original call outs and then the actual artists recordings of the songs. Hands down is amazing. It doesn't take away the charm or anything of the game having the full songs on. Pinsound at least let's you do the original files or your own custom if you want to go back. I just figure if you're going to switch to a pinsound board, you're straying from the keep it stock, so at least try the mixes. But yeah, pinsound works with original sounds, but I wouldn't say it improves the original mixes if that's what you are going for.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 45.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
€ 24.00
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 9.95
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobwiley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-fans-and-members-welcome?tu=bobwiley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.