IMG_0500 (resized).jpg
IMG_0498 (resized).jpg
IMG_0433 (resized).jpg
IMG_6548.jpeg
IMG_4535 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4533 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4534 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4531 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bakerhillpins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4153 2 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

[quoted image]
New playfield! It’s so beautiful…

Mirco? Did you install it as delivered or aftermarket cleared?

#4154 2 years ago
Quoted from Mellow:

Anyone know where I can get a quality Creature from the Black Lagoon Apron Decal as pictured in the USA? Or the high-quality artwork to have printed? Thanks!
[quoted image]

Quoted from stumblor:

Yep I've got these. Send me a pm ill send you one. No charge.

Piling on here but does this offer still stand? I'd love to get a new one... thanks

#4168 2 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Just gave it a good long rest to cure up and installed it, or had it installed in this case!

Great thanks, I'm on the fence with getting a new PF or working over the OEM.

Where did you pick it up?

1 month later
#4198 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Yesterday i swapped my film lamps to green LEDs and when starting up again I got continuously 2 balls in game, nice to get
Did a switch test and left through switch stays open, with ball on it or triggered by fingers.
Never had a defective switch.... Can this be measured with a DMM ?
Soldering is fine.
Or maybe the diode is RIP ?
Suggestions?

Before you start debugging a single switch grab the manual and test other switches in the suspected switch's row and column to make sure that you don't have a bigger switch matrix issue.

Use the switch edges test and the manual to test at least one switch that shares that switch's row and column. If other switches work than start to look at the switch itself.

#4204 2 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Hey guys I am doing a CFTBL mini-restore, that is in very rough shape. Most connections are pulled from the boards, and I want to request some assistance. Can someone please post up some detailed pics of the various connections for the boards? I am seeing several z-connectors and that greatly adds to the confusion of where things might plug. Most are intuitive, but a few are throwing me.
Many thanks.

The manuals (https://www.mamechannel.it/files_free/arcade_manuals_unpacked/cftbl_l4.pdf) have a section that details the connections in the backbox (on each board). There is an image with connector labels followed by listing of which are used and the associated wire colors for each pin. You can use this to match up the connectors to their proper location. Section 3 "Game Wiring and Schematics". Here's an example from the manual.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#4244 2 years ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

I am having a problem with the left flipper sticking "on". I think I have traced it to the spring around the shaft shown in the photo, I think the coils of the spring are locking up when it is compressed (I think there may be two springs on top of each other). Checking the manual I don't see any spring in the diagram or parts list yet it is present on both flippers and also on my Diner machine. Is a spring needed in this location?
[quoted image]

The manual is correct, there is no spring installed on the coil plunger on CFTBL. The smaller outer spring (on the crank) is all that's required to return the flipper.

Diner (attached image) has the previous generation flippers which do use a coil plunger spring, but no smaller outer spring.

pasted_imageddd (resized).pngpasted_imageddd (resized).png
1 week later
#4256 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballPirate:

I have this image in a bigger size (677KB).
If anybody would like me to send it to them, just shoot me an E-mail.
I reckon you could print it onto vinyl and stick it over the existing mural behind the rollovers.
That's what I plan to do with it.
[quoted image]

FYI, the OEM mural that's back there is not a simple print. The leaves are Phosphorescent paint and glow under black light. The cab decals are the same. Off hand I can't recall all the parts of the game that glow under BL. I'd advise not doing anything that would harm the OEM mural if you do decide to put something else up there.

#4258 2 years ago

Is that true!?! Or are you gonna make a fool of me when I go out and buy a black light tomorrow?

More glows on that image than I recalled. Lots of Black Light glow on a CFTBL... (Hard to get good images right now as sun is coming directly into the game room)

IMG_8880 (resized).JPGIMG_8880 (resized).JPGIMG_8881 (resized).JPGIMG_8881 (resized).JPGIMG_8882 (resized).JPGIMG_8882 (resized).JPGIMG_8883 (resized).JPGIMG_8883 (resized).JPGIMG_8884 (resized).JPGIMG_8884 (resized).JPGIMG_8885 (resized).JPGIMG_8885 (resized).JPG
#4263 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Never knew the ink was UV sensitive either! Wow

Several games of that era have phosphorescent elements... I also have an AFM and T2 that have quite a bit of it.

2 weeks later
#4295 2 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I have a local company that can make holograms the old fashion way but I need the figure so that is why I am looking at the 3d printed version. I have a 3d printer here so will start that up.

My recollection is that's where all the effort came into play in the previous reproductions... simply trying to figure out the statue and positioning of the subject in the OEM capture. Wasn't as easy as it sounded to get the look correct.

4 months later
#4408 2 years ago
Quoted from AndyC:

I tried using the tool to no avail ended up taking the board out and used a small flat head screw driver. I just couldn’t seem to get any movement of the rom using the tool.

Yea, the longer they've been in there the more stuck they seem to be. I believe there's a bit of oxidation that you have to break through to get them to start moving.

The real issue with using a screw driver to remove ROMs is resisting the urge to pry up on the chip by placing the tip of the driver on the PCB under the chip since most sockets are open in the middle. Doing so places the blade of the driver on the surface of the PCB and can cut/short the traces which run under the ROM (or any other socketed chip). This is an easy mistake as most folks will either slide the blade across the PCB or lift up on the driver while the tip is on the PCB surface in an effort to pry up on the chip. Both of these actions damage the traces.

The other issue folks have when the chip is in close proximity to other chips is they accidentally put the tip of the screwdriver under the socket and pry up the socket too.

It takes a bit of practice and a steady hand to slowly work up on the chip. I typically work the chip out by sliding the driver tip between the socket and the chip just inside the legs. Since most sockets are open in the middle, you need to apply pressure between the socket and the chip and that's going to be just behind the pins on each side. Sort of a wiggling/wedging operation that uses the inclination of the driver tip to push up on the chip and down on the socket. I work each side a little bit at a time, switching back and forth. The most difficult portion is at the end when the chip wants to tip up like a hinged lid and you can end up bending the crap out of the last few pins on both sides.

5 months later
#4642 1 year ago

At risk of sounding like an idiot,
Can somebody explain what a sound Rom is and how it differs from the CPU rom?

The CPU and Sound boards in a WPC game both have their "Program" stored in ROM chips. The CPU board has a single ROM chip that you change out to upgrade, Sound boards have multiple ROM chips that must be upgraded when a sound board upgrade is necessary. Open up your backbox and check it out.

Sound ROMs typically don't get upgraded -They have less updates in general and you don't always have to update them. You MAY need to update them though so it's always advisable to check what Sound ROM version is required for any CPU upgrade you perform.

1 month later
#4764 1 year ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

OK, so I'm fixing up a Creech which is a well-routed old trooper.
Here is the state of the Snack Bar Scoop Hole.
Any advice as to fixing this back up as well as I can?
Planning to install Mantis or Cliffy over it but obviously need to fix the hole up first.
Thanks,
RussMyers
[quoted image]

WOW, that's the worst I've ever seen. Personally, this all boils down to how much work you're willing to do. I wonder what the rest of the PF looks like because it would seem that a replacement PF (used would be a step up I bet) would be the easiest solution.

If I was going to repair that, I'd pull the PF and strip it. Probably start by using a template and a router bit to cut the hole out clean. Then I'd be in there with say a 1/8" slot cutting blade and I'd start cutting in different depth stepping notches. Cutting in from the edge of the hole. I.e. cutting out the different core layers (plys). Deepest in the middle and step out shallower towards the top. Cutting these notches at least 1/2 way around the outside of the hole. I'd even cut most of the way to the back of the hole. I'd cut custom wood pieces the width of the blade and oversized for the OEM hole and glue them in. Starting with the middle lathered up with titebond and work my way out in one go. Clamp it up tight. Then you could cut in the OEM hole again and clean up the edges. If the back side needs work then perform the same a 2nd time but this time for the back.

Once you've got a clean bond you can fill any cracks, sand and seal. Then decal/paint or whatever.

I really don't see how you'd fix that any other way but I'd love to hear of other ideas.

1 month later
#4845 1 year ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

I'm the main fixer at home so it'll probably fall to me to get it nice although she says she'll pay for the parts and try to do what she can.
I'm overwhelmed as I really didn't want this project.

I'd say that most of what's going on in there is that's it's just filthy and missing parts. So it probably looks more difficult than it is. It's just going to be a lot of time to tear it down and clean it up. You don't have to fix the cosmetic issues to play the game, just clean and get the mechanics up to snuff and that's relatively easy but time consuming.

No hologram and I'm not sure what is going on with the hologram gear? ( The mirror in the photo is just sitting there) I have never looked under a creech so no clue how it works.
My main issues were the hologram missing and the wear to the two S Inserts (see the picture).

As you say you've never looked inside a CFTBL I thought I'd mention that the hologram is attached to the underside of the PF. But it's also in your face if you lift the PF so you probably would have noticed that.

The mirror is supposed to be attached to the bottom of the cab on the left hand side (2 machine screws into T-nuts) by a bracket that has the motor attached. This causes the mirror to wiggle back and forth. I see the connector for the motor in your pic so I figure the whole assembly is there but not screwed down correctly. It's possible that they just unscrewed it from the bottom of the cab to use with those figurines?

#4848 1 year ago

Anyone know what this is and did it come from the factory attached here? I don't have one in my game and it seems odd that someone would add it zip tied to the wiring harness.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4849 1 year ago

The manual lists 15 starposts, but in photos I see double star posts near the pop bumpers, yet I can't see these listed in the manual.
Is the manual incorrect?
[quoted image]

I just assume that all the manuals have errors. I typically tear down the PF and then inventory for parts orders.

#4853 1 year ago
Quoted from dmacy:

It’s the hasp to hold down coin box.

Huh... is that like supposed to be in every WPC game? Cuz I've never seen one. Of course I don't think any of my games have even come with coinboxes.

#4859 1 year ago

Thanks for the info on the coinboxes guys!

#4862 1 year ago

DaveTheTrain

I've seen worse, and worked on worse. Honestly, take lots of pictures because I would bet that it's never been taken apart and it will make reassembly so much easier. Take MORE pictures than you think you will ever need. Every time you remove a ramp or a bunch of plastics. Not just overhead pics but pics from angles/sides. Digital images are cheap and you can never have too much info on reassembly.

Don't make a final judgment on the PF until you strip it down and do a through cleaning. Unless you're going for concourse resto there's lots of ways to clean up parts of this and make it look good without breaking the bank.

Good luck and post up when you need help.

1 week later
#4910 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

As matt_adams posted it looks like the right most vertical line on the DMD has failed. You can go into display test mode to verify although being the end column it'll probably be hard to confirm. Typically DMD failures aren't repairable and most people will simply replace them - I think you can still get plasma displays if you like the classic look (certainly easy to pick up 2nd hand ones) or you can go for a modern replacement either LCD or LED options are available.

There is a "step" mode in the display test that allows you to walk one line at a time through the display. You just need to use one of the center switches to change from auto to manual step.

I've fixed several displays that have rows/columns out. It's not difficult but it takes a steady hand and some soldering skills to get it to setup correctly. Then you dab some silicon/caulk on it to hold everything in place. [edit] Assuming it's a broken flex connector!

#4916 1 year ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

Thanks for all the Help
Try the test mode and check the flex. let you know if i am able to fix the problem. Lucky i would have a spare DMD but if i can fix it great.

Some pics from a previous repair job..

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
2 months later
#5035 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinbarclay:

I think that sticker says "warranty void if sticker removed" Is this a prank? Haha
Also, I've done some further testing on my bad left flipper. It seems like it only falls out of place when the game is running, i.e., the flipper is supplied with power. I ordered a rebuild kit but maybe that's a clue to someone who knows more than I about where the failure lies. See below:

Would love to hear any expert opinions

Honestly, as everyone has pointed out, start with a rebuild of the flippers. Did you order flipper bushings as well? (I don't think they come with the kit) The only other thing it could be is that the flipper paddle (white part) is actually broken loose from the steel shaft.

5 months later
#5253 8 months ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Hi all,
I'm picking up a Creech on Friday, and it will need some cabinet touch-ups. Does anyone have any suggestions or links to paints that match the cabinet colors well... especially the green and purple?
I did a word search for paint in this thread (and in others) and only saw one guy showing pics of his touched-up cabinet where he used "glass paints", but there was no mention of color names or brand names to try and locate, and now he's an inactive member, so I can't contact him.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The cabinet decals are printed with florescent inks. Matching those colors may be very difficult.

3 months later
#5516 4 months ago
Quoted from NYP:

Anyone know where I can find one of these apron decals? Only place I could find was Ministry but they are closed, anyone in the U.S maybe?
[quoted image]

I believe stumblor made/had them at one point? I'd like to get one.

#5518 4 months ago
Quoted from Fifty:

It's best to message him directly.

I did, he said he'd send it but it never arrived so I just assumed he got busy with life. At the time he was sending them for free so no complaints. I didn't feel pestering him over it was necessary. None the less, I'd still like to get one so if they are out there...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.00
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bakerhillpins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-fans-and-members-welcome?tu=bakerhillpins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.