IMG_4535 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4533 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4534 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4531 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6490 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6280 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3261 3 years ago

With regards to pinball center, it's really "meh"... My CFTBL is fitted with one ( bought it at a retailer about two months ago, and he had it replaced), and the size seems odd, ie it seems small compared to the window size.

It does have a hologram effect though.

Brightness is a problem however, but that could be the lamp setup (I have not yet checked the light path, mirror, etc). For that matter, if anyone has a suggestion on what to check I'm interested.

I have one question: the right vertical ejector for letter "M" sometimes get stucks, ie the ball does not reach enough velocity to eject in the ramp and fall back in the ejector. And it does so in loop, quite annoying.

I checked the coil mechanism, and nothing seems out of the ordinary. So before I replace the coil completely, someone suggested that it might miss a small piece of rubber on top of the coil axis, where the ball sits, to increase slightly the height. Could someone send me a picture of this ejector so I can check whether it's missing on my unit ?

Also, if someone in Europe is parting with their snack bar v1 to v4, I would be interested.

On a sidenote, for those interested into ressurecting MikeD mod, it's actually available in some sort, see this thread here for those who might have missed it:
https://go-dmd.de/produkt/tiltaudio-cftbl-bundle/

Beware though... it's not for the faint of heart. It requires to replace the audio board with TiltAudio board (it does have the side benefit of allowing you to change the audio mix, just like Pinsound), which you need to solder yourself (and there are SMD components there...). And then you need to figure out the fixture mechanism, add all necessary components (secondary RPI for the display, etc). So be sure you know what you're getting into with this mod . There seems to be an alternative if you have a Pin2DMD, but I have not checked it yet.

As for me I'll make the jump. Just need to figure out how to mount the display.

regards

#3264 3 years ago

I cleaned the sleeve, but did not replace it yet (did not have one handy ^

That said... I'm pretty sure I don't have the cup outlined in your diagram. Thanks for the pointer!

I wish I had the 3d model as I could very easily print it using my resin printer (although I can pro ably recreate it if I can see how it's mounted on the coil axis)

3 weeks later
#3282 3 years ago

May I have a pointer to this new rom, and what it's supposed to bring?

Regards

1 week later
#3340 3 years ago

I would like to switch my CFTBL ROM to English (currently in French, horrendous translation as always), I have the ROM code, I have the programmer, but I would welcome the ROM chip reference (I could probably get it by opening the backbox and removing the sticker, but my wife keeps playing it )

Thanks !

#3362 3 years ago

Good morning,

Time to do a little bit of renovation on my CFTBL. The usual plastics are broken (snack bar and KISS plastic), but I realized taking a closer look that the scoop entries are "really" higher than the plastic. So much that I fail to see how it can even be mounted without breaking in the first place. Could someone please post pictures of these two area with the plastic mounted ? Did you have to bend the scoop entrance ?

Alternatively, I kind of wonder, I have access to a metal shop, I think it might be a good alternative to manufacture a metal plate and screw the plastic on top of it, thoughts on this ?

Regards

#3377 3 years ago

Well, this is a picture of my kiss scoop, as you can see it will take more than a washer or bending.... The previous owner did a nasty looking plastic fix (well sort of), but to be fair I fail to see how he could even install a plastic here in the first place

20201201_080815 (resized).jpg20201201_080815 (resized).jpg
#3403 3 years ago

Ah crap, my "Slide" VUK is not playing nice again. I had replaced the coil and the sleeve and it's been working very very smoothly for a few weeks, and yesterday the ball was again stuck in several occasions (ie the kicker does not propel the ball with enough velocity so that it can escape, and the ball falls back).

What should I know check ? Would the transistor powering that coil explain this behaviour (insuficcient amp) ?

#3406 3 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

check the coil lug as it is very close to the shooter rod when you lift the playfield and known to catch and crack the lug of the coil - worth a look and was the issue when I first had my CFTBL

So it resulted into the coil not getting enough amp ? I resoldered it about one month ago, I would hope that the lug would be fine (if by lug you mean the connection of the coil to the wire - I'm fluent in english but this one kind of eludes me)

#3408 3 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

yes that is correct
when I first had got the CFTBL it had problems, one of the wires to the coil connector was bad because the connector had broken and was still connecting at times due to pressure

Unfortunately not that. The first coil I replaced had perfect soldering. And so does the one I put in place.

#3412 3 years ago

Thanks for that link, super interesting read. Unfortunately it deals primarily with "no power at all" to the coil, which is not my case (since there is power, just not enough)

Quoted from PeterG:

can you make any slow-mo footage of the vuk. Maybe it is something else blocking the way out? If that ball is launched incorrect it can rattle back and never gets out.

Ah that would have been possible before I changed the coil, since the issue was pretty much every time. More difficult now, the issue appears about one out of ten. But good idea, I'll look into it.

#3414 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

ashram56 I just put two and two together and realized who you were. Welcome!

Indeed, that's me. At least I keep my alias consistent between websites

I'll perform this test next week. Thanks for the suggestion. That said, I checked on the schematics, there is a rectifier bridge (BR3) which is driving the high voltage. I've exchanged on Facebook on this subject with some other french enthusiasts, and one was saying that a bad rectifier bridge could result into a lower voltage, anyone seen this ?

#3418 3 years ago

Checked mechanically, nothing odd. I'll have to check the rectifier bridge. That said, I'd like a pointer that would explain how a defective diode in a rectifier bridge can lead to lower voltage.

1 week later
#3474 3 years ago

Anyone would know where this wire should be connected (see picture, the dangling black wire from the connector, in front of the ribbon cable - not the best picture I admit). Since it's black I assume it's a ground trace, but where in the world should it be soldered?

For that matter, it's very odd that there would be such a connector with a single wire, I wonder if it was added by the previous owner and for what purpose

Thanks

20201216_174240 (resized).jpg20201216_174240 (resized).jpg
#3476 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

It's a ground wire. Mine is the same way. It's dumb looking but that's the way it is supposed to be. There are a few grounds sharing this wire if you trace it around.

That's what I suspected, but just to clarify my very bad picture : this wire is currently disconnected , it's dangling in the air. It seems to have been torn, hence why I'm asking where it should be connected

Regards

#3479 3 years ago
Quoted from freegame450:

The wire goes on the bottom of J103, see picture.[quoted image]

Thanks !

Really an odd way to route a ground wire... Anyway, I'll plug it back in it's place

#3484 3 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Sound board rebuild today. The panavise and desoldering gun made this job a lot easier. No through holes were damaged. Yeah!
[quoted image][quoted image]

May I know the brand and reference of your board holder and your desoldering gun/pump? I've been struggling to choose one

Regards

2 weeks later
#3522 3 years ago

ah crap, I would need advice (although I already made some progress, but if anyone has experience with the symptoms I have it would be nice)

My Creature is encountering multiple failures, at least partially. Sound is gone, so is Pin2DMD. Flashers/inserts/coils seem to work, at least partially.

What I checked:
- Voltage input on J501 should be 20VAC according to the schematics, straight from the transformer, I have 10V DC (!): I suppose I have something odd in my transformer ? How is it even possible to get 10V DC on a transformer 20V AC output (unless I misread my multimeter, but I checked a few times as I was super puzzled)
- Voltage output on J118 (which I use for powering Pin2DMD) should be 12V, I have zero. I have checked the fuses, they are all OK. I have yet to trace 12V generation (I suppose there is a regulator somewhere with a rectifier)

What is odd is that 20VAC failed first (ie sound was failing, so I started to look into it - I have a TiltAudio - and I noticed the TiltAudio board was not powering up, so I checked 20VAC input first, it was gone), but rest was functional. Then all of sudden 12V disappeared.

So:
- Has anyone experienced transformer failure, is this common ? I mean, to lose 20VAC is a pretty rare occurence I would think
- How is 12V generated ? I can check the schematics but if someone already has that info that would save me some time
- Would anyone has the pinout of the transformer connectors ? I can't find it in my Creech manual

Thanks and regards

3 weeks later
#3622 3 years ago
Quoted from stumblor:

I just built one for you, cos I'm a nice fella (and to see if I could!).
https://oshwlab.com/stumblor/5768-13260-00-creech-bulb-pcb
Open all in editor > Fabrication > PCB Fabrication File > Yes > Order at JCLPCB
It's around 8 quid posted to UK for 5 blank boards, not sure the cost to the states. You need to supply the diodes and headers and do a bit of soldering, but that's part of the fun!
Untested at present - I've just ordered a couple for myself to test, but it's such a simple board you can be pretty sure it's going to work.[quoted image]

I don't need it, but just love it when community folks step in and offer a solution which turns out to be super cheap... Thanks for that !

#3625 3 years ago

May I suggest an additionnal design that would be useful for afterglow users and WPC89 owners: an adapter board sitting on J501 (on the sound board) to draw power from the 20VAC and provide 18V DC (for afterglow) along with 12V (for PIN2DMD) and 5V (for anything else).

Requires a fuse, a bridge rectifier and a few big capacitors, and three voltage regulators, but that would be very useful IMO

Cheers

#3628 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

What is Afterglow? @ashram5? Also I don't want to speak for him, but I think stumblor has no shortage of projects on his plate. I am saying Just being conscious of his time, but I could be totally wrong

Oh well I'm sure he has a lot on his plate. Just making a suggestion (and yes I know stumblor , we are exchanging on other topics )

#3636 3 years ago

Electronics is definitely easy (SPI screens are cheap and easy to program with just a standard Arduino), but the anesthetics is another matter altogether.

I'm not an artist, so can't figure out what would look best. Electronics mods tend to look good on sci-fi themed pinball, but on a Creech it's slightly more difficult to integrate.

Conceptually you could have video trailers playing on a small size screen at the back, that would fit well (and I believe swinks has a nice manual on this), but the signs are more difficult aesthetically speaking

#3653 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

if you're talking about the mod that I started on about 3-4 years ago, it's this
[quoted image]
the thought is to replace all of the playfield plastics with 4D smart LCD panels, light up & animate the appropriate sections when a mode is running.
I've continued to pick this up, work on it a bit and then shelve it multiple times. the coding has been complete for triggering everything for a while so I reached out to stumblor for assistance on producing the boards to replace the original lamp boards.
if I do end up completing and marketing it, the mod will be plug and play and completely reversible, however the cost will be kind of pricey due to cost the amount of materials involved and the time that I've invested in it.

Nice overall design, but I have to ask... Why a 4D display ??? Given the amount of pixel change between each frame, an SPI screen would do just fine, no ? And they are way cheaper, and can be controlled by an Arduino. You can add to it one optocoupler, a few diodes and resistors for triggering on insert status.

Am I missing something ?

#3657 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

why?? because that's what I chose. when I started working on the project (over 4 years ago), I saw them and thought that I could do something cool with them. additionally, with the 4D displays I was able to do this with one piece of hardware per signpost (other than the pcb to interface between the 4D display and existing wiring harness. plus, this was originally meant as a project for my machine and mine alone.
yes, the SPI displays are about $15+ each (about 25% of the 4D display cost for the same size/resolution), but you still need to add in the arduino and interface everything together. with an arduino solution, if it fails, then everything fails. with the 4D displays, each is independent but yes, each could fail (just as each SPI display could fail). pluses and minuses with each.

Thanks for the explanation, I was thinking there might be a technical reason (SPI screens framerate are limited because of the SPI speed interface for ex). Apologies if my question might have sounded rude, that was not the intent (lost in translation one would say). Indeed for a one-off 4G displays are rather a nice solution. But boy are they expensive. I managed to snag a uoled-128-g2 at 25 euros on ebay, but official price list is more in the range of 50 euros for that model (at least on Mouser in Europe).

Fortunately things have improved on the SPI side of things, with an atsamd51 at 120Mhz I'm able to achieve 8FPS for mjpg type video decoding at 240x240, I hope to be able to achieve 10FPS and more on ESP32 (80ms are taken for screen SPI update). That's for pure video content where each pixel in the frame is updated at each cycle. With content where a differential pixel update can take place (since SPI displays have their own frame buffer), I would assume you can achieve much higher frame rate (at the expense of engineering investment though).

Which size / resolution did you find was required for that sign ?

1 week later
#3728 3 years ago

And it's back

My dreaded "damn ball won't exit the Slide VUK" issue

Here's a video:

I've cleaned up the sleeve, replaced the coil, checked all mechanics, and this issue appears once in a while. Sometimes it works fine for a few days, then fails on one launch, sometimes it fails consistently (as in the linked video, I had to remove the glass to catch the ball).

I'm starting to think the control circuitry is at fault. Checking on the schematics there is a control transistor, has anyone experienced a failure on a control transistor of that nature ?

#3730 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

What's the condition of the coil stop and coil stop end of the plunger? Is the any mushrooming - post some pics of them. I'm thinking a mechanical issue and would check/replace the coil sleeve (they are cheap) and potentially the coil stop and plunger. Just as an FYI to save you some $$ in the future, coils don't wear out and only need to be replaced if the coil wire breaks or the coil gets burnt out (this happens when a drive transistor fails).

I'll post pictures, but I did check the coil stop and also changed the sleeve (actually that was the first thing I did before even replacing the coil).
Can you define "mushrooming", not sure I've seen this term before

Thanks

#3733 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The plunger tip can become deformed from striking the coil stop, this is referred to as mushrooming and the plunger can drag or stick in the coil sleeve causing reduced power such as you're seeing. Some people will file off the burs on the plunger or you can replace it. If the plunger is damaged, I'd be replacing the coil sleeve as this won't be smooth anymore and the coil stop.
It may or may not be the issue but definitely worth checking

Thanks ! I'll take a look

#3736 3 years ago

So I checked the plunger, nothing odd (plus I don't see how mushrooming can happen on this part)

The plastic cup is fine

I took a scope shoot of the coil (this is the pin that is driven to ground when activating), as you can see no specific issue (less than one micro second, 70v - there is an attenuation of 10 on my probe otherwise I exceed the max input of the scope so the scope shoot shows 7V)

I'm puzzled....

20210217_170917 (resized).jpg20210217_170917 (resized).jpg20210217_193139 (resized).jpg20210217_193139 (resized).jpg20210217_193223 (resized).jpg20210217_193223 (resized).jpgCFTBL VUK (resized).jpgCFTBL VUK (resized).jpg
#3738 3 years ago

As of now, it happens pretty much all the time, regardless of how long it has been on. I have a ball stuck in the vuk and left pinball off for a few hours, turned it on, and vuk cannot eject.

I realize that I should have taken a scope shoot of the other pin of the coil, in case there is a drop of voltage at the same time as other pin being driven to ground , I'll try that tomorrow

On the coil sleeve, I'm definitely not sure, I'll check.

At first look, would you say the plastic cup is at the correct height? When the ball is un the vuk, what should be it's default position?

#3740 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Yup - my bad, I didn't double checking the type of mech it uses.
Did you try manually moving the plunger up & down with you finger? Was there any resistance - also try rotating the plunger into different positions and test plunging again in case the plunger is catching when it is in a certain position

I did test manually when I replaced the sleeve and the coil. There does not seem to be any resistance. I tried to look top down on the plastic cup when it tries to eject the ball, I did not see anything odd.

Only thing I can think off now is to check the opposite pin, check the sleeve, check the length of the plunger and the position of the plastic cup. Maybe add a washer?

#3744 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

[EDIT] The coil sleeve is in backwards.

I will echo what ashram56 said. I had a WH2O that did this as well. I had the upper PF clearcoated and that threw off the alignment of the VUK wireform just enough that the ball would come back down into the VUK again. I had totally forgotten about this. I remember it vividly now though. It was a huge pain in the ass when you sent two balls into the VUK. One ball would pop into the wireform and the second ball would roll into the VUK while the first was falling back down so you'd end up with the VUK trying to send two balls through the wireform at the same time. Man that was a piss off. Especially if you got 3 balls line up in there.

What is odd is that if I reverse the sleeve, it sticks out at the bottom, thus actually creating a stop for the plunger and reducing it's movement range. I checked the PN provided, and it's supposed to be a 52mm sleeve, which is actually slightly longer than mine (51mm on paper, will check it's real lenght)

I'll try to adjust the wireform on top, although I did not see anything obvious when I checked the ejection of the ball

Man this issue is a real pain to debug

#3747 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Do you have any extra coil sleeves? You could always cut one a bit shorter and give that a try.
If the VUK to the right inlane the same? You could compare the two VUKs and see if there is anything different between the two.

I checked the movement of the plunger, the way the sleeve is mounted on my original picture do not interfere at all with the movement (since the plunger is blocked by the metal plate at the rear anyway).

I disassembled, added a small 2.5mm thick (3D printer to the rescue) washer below the plastic cup, attempted to realign the wireform ramp (although impact was not obvious). So far so good, the ball ejected directly at power up.

That said it did work in the past, so i'll have to play quite a few games to determine if the issue is solved

[EDIT] And of course it did not solve it...
Man I'm getting crazy with this issue

Only option left now is measuring the voltage swing on the second pin (in case there is a drop), and measure current during power up of the coil. As a reference, would anyone have the coil resistance (in ohm) ?

#3749 3 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

Could this problem have anything to do with the optics that trigger that VUK being dirty?

At this stage I would be ready to grasp any straw, but in all honesty I would be surprised, since the opto essentially act as a trigger to energize the coil, and my problem is not that the coil does not start, it's that it does not have enough power

#3751 3 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

What’s the driver transistor? If it’s a TIP102, you should be able to ground the metal tab to see if it’s possibly an issue with the transistor itself. Or just ground the wire at the coil, if you know which side to ground...
I suppose a cold solder joint could be at play, restricting current flow? Or a partially failed transistor. Or some added coil resistance? All seem unlikely, but I suppose anything is possible.

I've taken a oscilloscope shoot (above), and the transistor does switch. What I don't know however is the current draw, that was going to be my next step (need a current probe for my scope), and the reason why I was asking for the reference ohm resistance of the coil, if anyone has it. Should be around 3.5/3.7 ohms.

#3775 3 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

"noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

I must ask... What is this MRS switch?

Also, mine only does two or three rotations max, so I'm interested into guidance to improve.

Regards

#3782 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

MRS is a Magnetic Reed Switch and is used to replace the micro-switch on the bowl - given the MRS does not interfere with the ball's momentum (unlike the micro-switch) you can get more rotations.
As to setting up the improve the rotations the most important thing is that the bowl is relatively level

Thanks, I'll try to adjust the bowl level. But I must say I'm interested into this MRS device, any pointer on how to install and where to find it?

Regards

2 weeks later
#3801 3 years ago

Back on my VUK ejector coil issue after a two weeks break (reminder: my right ejector does not have sufficient power to eject the ball correctly in the wire ramp).

I've performed a few measurements:
- Measured resistance directly from the power board: 4.3 Ohms
- Measured resistance directly at the coil: 3.9 Ohms

Since the coil is new I have no reason to believe this would be incorrect, plus the value seems rather in line.

I measured simultaneously using a Picoscope the waveforms of both end of the coil, directly at the coil connections, here's what I get (I'm applying a ratio of 10 on the probe to match the scope input, so it's measuring 70V)

The very nice inversed square waveform is the drive signal
The not so nice signal is supposed to be the power line, which should be kept at 70V

So from that measurement, I would be tempted to think the issue is that the voltage drop of the 70V line is causing a drop of the voltage difference, especially after 5ms.

However I lack comparison points, and it could be that this is a perfectly normal curve, so I would welcome any feedbacks you can share

Thanks

Capture CFTBL (resized).jpgCapture CFTBL (resized).jpg
#3802 3 years ago

I replaced BR3 rectifier and C8 capacitor, no luck, same measurement, same behavior.

This is driving me crazy...

#3805 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

You're beyond my troubleshooting ashram56 I wish you the best of luck.
Not to detract from your post(s), but just curious if anyone has hooked up a 8" sub woofer to their Creech? Was it worth it? What settings are you using? I have a PSW8 I've been thinking of wiring up.

Adding an external powered sub is the best thing you can do sound wise. I've done it on my Tron and my Star Trek, this is so much better than any speaker upgrade. And it's cheap, as in top of it you can use a single powered subwoofer for multiple pinball machines (with a mixer table)

#3806 3 years ago

So back to basics:
- Can someone share the part number of the coil for the VUK, so I can check if mine is identical ? After all, I reordered the same coil on the basis of what was installed, it could be that a different one is needed
- Can someone take a resistance measurement at the coil ? I'm getting 3.9 Ohms, this sounds in line, but even a .5 Ohms can yield a huge difference

Thanks

#3808 3 years ago

Just checked it, it's identical: AE-23-800, reference resistance according to the link above is 4.3 Ohms (I have 4.2 Ohms as measured from the power board).

I'm running out of ideas.

#3812 3 years ago
Quoted from Gizmata:

Based on that voltage plot, and that you already changed the Bridge Rectifier, I would chase the PCB wiring associated with the rectifier. The plot shows the low side of the coil being grounded, but the power side fluctuating like the AC power isn't being rectified properly to keep the 70v supply up.

As it turns out, I did a simulation of the circuit. The voltage curve is actually pretty normal when taking into consideration the low value of the capacitor (150uF), and the very high current draw. I just did not expect it.

Now I'm back to square one, since it's not electrical it has to be mechanical, but can't figure out what. I did realign the wire ramp just above, kind of randomly since I have no way to determine the proper position, and it's working much better, but I have no clue why.

1 week later
#3846 3 years ago

Just out of curiosty, on my CFTBL the "Move your car" ramp is a killer if the ball fails to go through it all the way to the bumpers, and goes back down, it's a guaranteed drain between the flippers.

Is this a normal behaviour ? Can I reduce it somehow ?

Regards

#3851 3 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

that is where you need the flower pot shaped rubber to the left of the snackbar hole as this deflects the ball so it doesn't go down the centre

I would welcome a pointer on this, I'm not sure I quite figure out what this is exactly

Quoted from Fifty:

The flower pot rubber will save you often, but not always. If you brick that shot then get ready to save your ball. I swapped out the nylon lock nut for one with a lower profile. It's the lock nut that holds the switch that the wire gate triggers. Located practically on top of the snackbar hole. It helped me a little, but ya, you need to get the aim down.

Likewise, I'm not quite sure I understand what it looks like... any picture / pointer ?

Thanks

2 months later
#3913 2 years ago
Quoted from paragon07:

Received my Pinballsp holomod and installed it recently. I replaced a good hologram on my Creech home so this was a luxury mod for me. Have to say, it’s worth it. My scores have tanked. Because I’m watching the videos instead of the ball. That should change once I’ve seen all of them. Installation was quick and easy, using the games 12 v supply with no problems.
To the naysayers,pfffft. To those who have one coming, I think you will love it. It makes a Classic game better!

I must say many did not have high hopes of this mod seeing the light if the day, including me, we are proven wrong. His design is interesting, I bet he's using sound commands (he's hooked it to the ribbon cable between cpu board and sound board). In some respect, very similar in principe to what Tiltaudio could achieve, except that it's a PnP mod.

Does he provide SW update with new animated content?

#3921 2 years ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Yeah I'm not convinced this is the right way. As Manny65 points out, you effectively need to replicate the game code in your logic to ensure that your videos are playing when they are supposed to, in response to switch inputs. Take the left orbit switch for example. On a plunge, it can be worth anything from 1 to 4 kiss lights - how is your code going to know which one of these it is? Likewise the top lane rollovers, which only count when not lit, and move based on the flippers - how will the code know when you actually hit one thats not lit? And how will you know when the girl is found, since it's a random assignment between 1 of 3 switches? This doesn't even cover the potential for rule variations between rom versions and game settings.
I'd be very surprised if it's only switches.

Exactly my point, I'd be curious to see a video of the animations when multiball is available, when it starts, when the first ball of the multiball drains and you need to hit the snackbar, etc. I don't see how you can recreate the game logic with just switches/inserts (well maybe you can, but it's a lot of work, and I'm sure there are loopholes)

2 weeks later
#3940 2 years ago
Quoted from Captain-Flint:

Anyone use this video mod???? Any video... seems like a cheaper option although it doesn't sync up to modes or anything... Just wanted to see how it looked in person.
https://juzpinballmods.com/product/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-video-mod/?fbclid=IwAR22BVhXO80hiKKwCJED12VtDLD1Alc62OsuzoKItPmTWSCVCKXkogZ36As

There is a gameplay synchronized mod, although it's full DIY... Use TiltAudio, and you can control the display according to gameplay event. Not really PnP though, needs a little bit of knowledge (soldering, etc)

4 weeks later
#4033 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

I Tell the wife it’s good for my rehab not sure she believes me lol.

Easy, don't ask her that's how I ended up with... 7

3 weeks later
#4105 2 years ago
Quoted from nlrobert:

Thanks!!! I went to my buddies today and took measurements from his Creature. I'll check those against these as well to make sure everything lines up.

Could you confirm if the measurements were in line with the 3D model ?

2 months later
#4226 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Got a Creature in last weekend. Just ordered a Pin2dmd and looking into other mods.
2 questions:
1) Unfortunetly Holo is RIP, considering the alternative from Pinball center, used by somebody, worth the money ?
2) My speaker grills are grey painted (circles) without the Mic or Creature signs in it. Can't find these anywhere... suggestions where to get them ? Or maybe somebody as a framework/design of it so I can paint it black manually ?[quoted image]

I have Pinball Center holo. It does the job but that's it. It does not have the same depth than the original (the creature is taken from farther away, and the hands do not reach out to the player as I've seen in others machines). But it's much cheaper than the original, and most importantly... available...

#4227 2 years ago
Quoted from slippifishi:

Just to be clear, the real pin files can be downloaded from the following URL.
https://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/7707-creature-from-the-black-lagoon-64-colour-real/
Definitely don't use the vpin files; it won't do any harm, but it won't work either You need to replace both the pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.fsq files on your SDCARD with the same two files from the zip. Sorry for the confusion/not including the link earlier - there was a slight delay getting the files approved.
Should also mention that if any of you are lucky enough to be using an HD (256x64) panel, I also have a one-off special HD version with a new title screen that fixes the auto scaled title text. It won't work on standard displays so it is not currently publicly available to avoid people using the wrong files on their machines - drop me a PM and I can send you that version if needed!

But if I understand correctly, these 256x64 HD panels require a modified speaker panel, right ?

[EDIT] Of course they do, seen the message from stumblor
Oh well, guess I know what I have to do now...

#4236 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

I’m running it on the rev5 rom and haven’t noticed any issues so far. That said my games have been short as I’ve been watching the animations

Yeah the irony... We spend tons of money to upgrade our DMDs, whereas we actually seldom watch them during gameplay (and this is even more relevant on modern games with LCD screens and fancy animations, which I never get to see since I'm the only one playing and I never watch the screen except when it's quiet !!)

OK, I might be slightly exagerating, but you see my point

#4251 2 years ago
Quoted from stumblor:So I've had a bit of a look through the schematics, and there's really not that many components that could be the cause of it. I still have a suspicion its one of the fuses (might be worth checking these again), otherwise the only thing it could be is the the bridge rectifier at BR3 or the cap at C8. My guess is the bridge rectifier.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Low_Coil_Voltage

Few questions:
- Did you measure idle voltage at the coil (ie not energized)
- can you measure resistance of the entire circuit taken from the power board connector. There's almost nothing between the power board and the coils, you should see a value of a few ohms (careful with the direction, the flyback diode can affect the reading). A typical coil is about 3 to 4 ohms. A higher resistance will result into a lower current, thus reducing the magnetic effect. Likewise a lower voltage than expected (should be 70V) decrease current for a fixed resistance value

If your voltage level is too low, issue is likely the rectifier (but then all coils on the same power rail should exhibit the same behavior)

If your resistance is too high, there 's something in circuit raising resistance. Check solder connections and wiring, especially at the connectors

Control transistor might also be bad, although to be fair I'm not quite sure I understand how a transistor could' partially fail (ie switching, but limiting current)

1 week later
#4260 2 years ago

Makes you wonder, why didn't they add black light then if they took the pain of printing it in BL sensitive ink ? Or is that a coincidence ?

Makes me want to actually add blacklight inside the cabinet itself, need to find the right trigger for it (and where to put it)

2 weeks later
3 months later
#4401 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

ebay.com link: itm

Shoot, no European reseller. It doubles the price because of shipping... For a small ROM that would fit in an enveloppe. Aren't they selling elsewhere ?

Not that it's a lot of money either way, just that in principle I'd rather pay the developer than ebay, post office and customs

By the way, how much different is this from the competition ROM that floated around a little while ago ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 24.00
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-fans-and-members-welcome?tu=ashram56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.