IMG_4535 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4533 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4534 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4531 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6490 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6280 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sonic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#607 8 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

The Creech came to play some pinball

20151125_154522.jpg

What's the "Spooky House" artwork above the Creech?

2 months later
#701 8 years ago
Quoted from pitpit:

Hi,
Look next to Marty in "Back to the future III".
The action takes place in a drive in theater.
Does it remind you something ?

Capture_d’e?cran_2015-12-20_a?_22.56.21_(resized).png

It reminds me that Marty calls himself Clint Eastwood in BTTF3 and that Clint was in both Revenge of the Creature and Tarantula....

#711 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

hehe... and what about that avatar of yours???

My wife! She doesn't even know I use this as an avatar....

4 weeks later
#737 8 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I just added this to the Pinsound thread but here it is just for info.
It's a WIP with some work today but so far the 50s music fits the game like a glove. Also adding some of the movie's fantastic score and upgrading some sound fx:
» Vimeo video
Please let me know what you think. Cheers!

Fantastic job!! If you want any help with song selection in your work - please reach out. I'm a musicologist and do a syndicated radio show centered around the music of this era (1954-1955 when the Creech would've been at a drive-in) AND I own a drive-in theater of all things....

3 weeks later
#872 8 years ago

I own a drive-in...and Creech...and am a huge universal monsters fan....it's a slide as our friend from Ottawa (where I frequently travel for work I may add) indicates....

1 month later
#956 7 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Ok having some issues needing help resolving. My GI in the lower part of the playfield, slings area, is out. In addition to this my MikeD LCD mod has stopped working. I assume they are related because they seemed to have happened at the same exact time. I just rebuilt my j121 connector because there was one that looked burnt, it didn't fix anything. I also noticed on my driver board that LED 3 was on, in the manual it says that it shouldn't be. I have the colordmd installed though and I know that LED relates to the high/low voltage so thought it may have something to do with that. Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tommy - the LEDs are marked D19-21...D19 should go off...D20 blinks and D21 should stay on (this is 5V)....doubtful the problem is at the CPU - likely the driver for GI or possibly at the transformer itself - look at those connections....has Wart gone over your driver? If not, I cannot recommend enough having him bulletproof your driver board - it's worth the cost. I've gotten out of the board fix waste of my time and let John do his thing - I never have to touch the boards again after he goes through them.........

#958 7 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Yep he did my driver board less than a year ago. The LEDs on the CPU were all correct, it was LED 3 on the driver board that was on, and in the manual it is listed as should be off. I'm not sure if that LED is impacted by me not having high voltage to the dmd since I have a colordmd installed or not.

My bad...not CPU....driver board....that LED isn't anything - ignore it...but take a look at the transformer....but I think it's the driver again...

2 months later
#1000 7 years ago

Here's the one I own....The Skyline Drive-In.....

13537538_10153599267456283_3548442947659768289_n_(resized).jpg13537538_10153599267456283_3548442947659768289_n_(resized).jpg

#1008 7 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Well it looks like Creature is going to need a playfield swap.

Censor: I’m sorry, Mr. Cross. I am the censor and I will not allow this.
Frank: Why not?
Censor: Well, specifically, you can see her nipples.
Frank: I want to see her nipples!
Censor: But this is a Christmas show!
Frank: Well, Charles Dickens would’ve wanted to see her nipples then.

3 weeks later
#1026 7 years ago

Good to see my very own original mod still being applied after all these years!!!

#1028 7 years ago

I bought my first pin (Creech) in 2004 and almost immediately had the idea after watching 2-3 spins in the whirlpool...I had a spare MRS laying around, put it in (it was quick and easy) and just loved it...still love watching that damn thing spin around....mine does about 8-9 spins before she drains....

#1030 7 years ago

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album440/DSC07244

It's not my Creech, but Chris did do my Creech before this one...and yep, still have it....I'm Matt!

#1032 7 years ago

Glad you asked! The trick is the MRS to start - easy to install...then lift the bottom of the bowl 'up' (front to back) to be as level as you can (meaning you can still slide the glass on/off) - you are 'countering' the pitch of the machine....see? Then you simply make sure left to right is level.....and finally make sure the rail coming into the bowl throws the ball in smoothly.....my argument has always been, had the MRS been developed at WMS when this game was developed - they've used it....so screw that stupid micro-switch....plus I'm like a cat - love watching that ball go round and round!

#1037 7 years ago
Quoted from scottmaggie:

Here is a pic of the reed switch installed on my Creech. Got to level the bowl still...

You can actually put it below where you have it to better register spins...it's so light and small about anything from double-sided sticky tape will work to hold it in place....

4 weeks later
#1105 7 years ago
Quoted from scottmaggie:

It's only 2 wires green and white and the replacement switch is also green and white. Easy.

And don't worry about the diode, a diode is integrated already into the MRS....so just green to green and white to white and done!

1 month later
#1143 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

How do you all actually level the bowl? Just with washers or something? It doesn't look to me like the bowl is set up to just sit on the screws themselves. I've gotta be missing something.
Nothing in the manual either.

Right...anything you have to level it left to right...and then anything to bring the front of the bowl up high enough to slide the glass on and off...that axis will never be level so you are looking to counter as tilt much as you can...most use the post rubbers so you can tweak depending on the tightness of the bolt due to the sponginess of the post rubber.....

2 months later
#1203 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Final WIP of my Pinsound mix, apologies for the audio quality...
» Vimeo video

Good job Kris - I forgot we worked on this a while back....what did you end up doing for a songlist (beyond what's in the video) like the Video mode and such....

#1208 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Hey Sonic, I'll post a list of songs soon. I think I basically went with all your recommendations, and gave you thanks in the release notes for that
The voice overs were kindly provided by wdpvideo, they take a bit of getting used to but I like them. You can easily swap back in all the original samples by downloading the sample pack from the Pinsound community pages.
Yes you can add your own voiceovers, Pinsound uses wav files so just replace what you want.

You know Kris - this is inspiring me greatly to get the Pinsound (over getting a colordmd!) for my Creech - you did a fantastic job....

#1221 7 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

Installed NVram on my Creech tonight. No more batteries for 30 plus years! This is the first one I've ever had with no acid damage somewhere! Someone, someday, will thank me!

Just did mine too! After first having my TFTC done, my CFTBL, JY and Shadow quickly came thereafter....

2 months later
#1375 6 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

You should sell your design to PinGraffix.

Agreed!

2 weeks later
#1414 6 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Question,
I have a creature and when the ball drops in the swirl bowl it makes 1 or 2 turns before it falls down. I leveled, adjusted but no better result. I played a creature recently in an arcade and the ball just kept swirling, 6-9 times. What could I do to enhance mine, buy a new bowl? Wax the bowl? New Balls? Steeper ramp? Any suggestions?

Just go to FIND POSTS IN THIS TOPIC at the top...type in the keyword "Bowl" and from Pinsider "Sonic" and you'll see what to do.......

1 month later
#1443 6 years ago

Hello all.....I haven't tried this one, but others have and it worked.... https://ksarcade.net/stn-180-5145-xx.html

You may have to cut off some of the tabs, but otherwise it's the same as the WMS version....

#1446 6 years ago

Reading all you guys do this mod makes me so happy! When I created it back in 2004 all the purists had a fit and just blasted the idea - now everyone is embracing it...makes it so much more fun/rewarding watching that ball go around like it does...love it!!

#1448 6 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi UL and Sonic,
Would either of you post a photo of the reed switch installed on your CFTBL? Also, I cannot really tell from the photos, but does the reed switch come with molex connectors pre-installed? Is anything else needed for the installation of this reed switch into my CFTBL?
Thanks.
Gord

I'll try and find a good pic (or take another), but you just solder wire to wire - no need for a Molex and no need for a diode either...and I've seen folks put it in different places, but I put mine right below where the current microswitch is - or underneath that lip on the bowl and right up against it....I get about 9 spins...but it took me many many hours to accomplish that feat....

1 year later
#2193 5 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Replaced my old bowl and switch with a flat one and wow
What a game changer, gives me so much more time to manage one ball. Installed titan rubbers, did the pop bumper mod and teal posts
[quoted image]

Forget that switch...put in an MRS and be mesmerized with the rotations!

3 months later
#2303 5 years ago

I've long had the lit speaker-panel mod in my Creech but decided to add ColorDMD finally - they both point to using J116 - what did everyone else do just further tie into J116 or move the speaker panel mod to J117? Thanks!

#2305 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

J115, 116 and 117 all tie to the same 5v
you can pigtail off of the same one connector or just use another, however CftBL is a game that is known to have issues if you attempt to run too many extra "features" (aka mods) at the same time

Thanks man!! I moved ahead and all is well....got to say..colordmd and lit speaker-panel looks amazing

Resized_20181221_134605 (resized).jpgResized_20181221_134605 (resized).jpg
#2307 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

J115, 116 and 117 all tie to the same 5v
you can pigtail off of the same one connector or just use another, however CftBL is a game that is known to have issues if you attempt to run too many extra "features" (aka mods) at the same time

Until I tried to play a game....damn't J_M_....apparently with the speaker panel mod and the colordmd (all tied to J116)- the flippers hardly flip at all....J116, J117 & J118 all are 12VDC.....J117 sends 12v (& 5v) to the DMD Controller Board....J118 sends 12v to the Chase PCB under the playfield ....and J116 powers the flipper opto switches AND coin door interface board - in one giant loop....and presumably having the speaker panel mod on there and the ColorDMD and I've got no flippers......WTF...how the heck are all these Creech's having both with no problems?

1 week later
#2328 5 years ago

Back in biz! I re-pinned J114 and J101 and replaced the J101 connector....put in an EZSBC 5V regulator and removed a few Z-connectors in the back box while I was in there.....so far so good....re-set free.....those regulators are fantastic....

1 week later
#2350 5 years ago

Anytime I don't see an MRS on the bowl - I weep (that's because I created it...but that's besides the point)

#2352 5 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

What is this you speak of please tell me !

In 2004, I got my first pin....Creech (still have it - eventually sent it to HEP - love it)...well before I sent it for restoration - I learned everything I could about fixing, modding, unobtainium parts and all of that - well one of the things that struck me first was the stupidity of having a Cherry switch on the bowl - I wanted to see that thing go...3-4 times around sucked - so I figured out how to tweak it by setting it's x & y axis properly - and then realized that a few years later - Williams came up with MRS's to replace physical switches - and realized - had the Creech been built in 1996 - it would have had one in the bowl - so I put one in and shared the knowledge.....now it's almost everywhere it seems - I also put one in the toilet bowl on my Junk Yard - and so on.....I get about 8-9 spins on my whirlpool....

3 weeks later
#2369 5 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Where do you put the reed switch? Pic please

Look at post #1042 for a pic

1 month later
#2381 5 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

MRS? Is that the leafless switch mod you're talking about?

Oh but it is......magnetic reed switch

#2383 5 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

I'm sure you've got a link somewhere.....

So therein lies the problem - the original WMS MRS' have become unobtanium over the last few years....I don't know anyone that has them short of private parties.....https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-10293

#2386 5 years ago

If folks can be patient - and my partner is going to kill me - just wait a big longer and your wish will be reality.....it just takes time...

5 months later
#2561 4 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/59#post-5051521

Posting a little on the late side...long story short is I've began remaking the infamous Williams Magnetic Reed Switch (follow link above).....I've sold all but 1 of the 1st lot I've built over on the RFM owners group - (most bought in groups of 3 as that is the quantity on RFM) - however I ended up with 1 left that would be perfect for the whirlpool mod...I won't be making any more until November - so if someone wants this one just shoot me a PM....hopefully after all the tooling and tuning and what have you - come November I'll be able to crank out more of these little hand built devils....

#2565 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

message sent, but guessing I might of missed out already

Swinks was the winner for the last one, but I've got tjprice and fiberdude on the list - and now the rest of you know for when I go back to making more....stay tuned!

#2589 4 years ago

Just cleaning up the work station - thought I'd snap a pic...an original WMS MRS, an original DE MRS and an original M&M Creations MRS.......more to be built again soon, I promise...
20190828_165421 (resized).jpg20190828_165421 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#2617 4 years ago

Alright Creech fans , I have to admit I never thought that 15 years after I dreamt up the MRS bowl mod - that I'd end up making a proper MRS to achieve that goal - here is the very first one - I just put it together - I have a lot of work to do before I have more than just this one....so more will come by Thanksgiving.....anyway from my notes tjprice222 was next on the list to receive one - after him it was fiberdude120 .....so hey guys - hit me up on PM (it's easier to track all the interest to be honest) - and this one is yours.....the MRS fits the contour of the bowl, has a 13" inch lead (like the current switch does) and has a light duty adhesive to stick on the bowl...can't be any simpler!

Bowl_mrs (resized).jpgBowl_mrs (resized).jpg
#2619 4 years ago

What y'all think?

15690259299341261965783 (resized).jpg15690259299341261965783 (resized).jpg
#2622 4 years ago
Quoted from 2pupPinz:

I have a question...is this MRS to take the place of the switch at the bottom of the bowl? Is that switch known to have issues?
Thanks!

One pic - thousand words! The switch on the bowl's issue is it is a silly application, but all Williams had in 1992......but by 1996 - they had other options!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2626 4 years ago

First one in green!

15691734751091185920001 (resized).jpg15691734751091185920001 (resized).jpg
#2636 4 years ago

Wanted to pass along the kind words from GRB1959 - I have to add, that's one hell of a high score....holy cow!

Hi Matt,

Just to give you a quick update on how the new MRS is performing. See the URL below for a short YouTube video clip and you can see my new high score on CFTBL compared to my previous high scores which were prior to installing the MRS.

Now that I can max out the playfield multiplier in the Creech whirlpool bowl with 2-3 balls I then find the creature, rescue the girl, light the Super Jackpot, collect the Super Jackpot and then lather, rinse and repeat. I collected 3 Super Jackpots in my high scoring game which when multiplied by the max playfield multiplier of 4X accounts for a crazy high score almost 6 times higher than my previous high score.

Granted, I play it smarter now and try to max out the playfield multiplier prior to finding the creature, rescuing the girl and collecting the Jackpot and Super Jackpot. Previously I would be lucky if I could get a 2X playfield multiplier prior to draining a ball during multi-ball.

Anyway, this game just got a whole lot more fun in large part to your MRS which really opens up scoring as it makes it obvious that you shouldn't collect the major playfield bonuses prior to maxing out the playfield multiplier.

Gord

#2640 4 years ago
Quoted from 2pupPinz:

How much are they?

$30/unit + $4.50 domestic USPS 1st class

1 month later
#2723 4 years ago

I'm back to making bowl MRS'.....took a 4 week hiatus through October......got 3 done....we're hoping to mass-produce them, but it takes time.....remember to send a PM to get on the list...

2 weeks later
#2742 4 years ago
Quoted from rockymtn:

Installed the Creature Bowl MRS Mod and very happy! This is excellent in many ways...fits flush with the bowl (pun intended), looks great with the grabber green color, easy to install (its worth spending an hour to completely remove the bowl and apron so the wiring is routed nicely). You actually don't need glue or adhesive because of the way it fits. Thank you Matt.

Fantastic! I'm on to making original MRS' (the ones that are stock in 7 WMS pins) for a bit - then I'll be back to making more Creech MRS'....

1 week later
#2752 4 years ago

It looks like I'll have 2 Creech whirlpool MRS' unclaimed before I take a hiatus for the holiday's....if interested...PM me!

82fcd15503ade0b5f6a7363d6aab865f8caac938 (resized).jpg82fcd15503ade0b5f6a7363d6aab865f8caac938 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2756 4 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

The MRS' arrived today. They look great. They are truly plug and play and I installed the black MRS tonight and it works great.
Thanks again for updating the form factor of this MRS to hug the Creech bowl.
Gord
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Thanks for the kind words Gord! I've been through the waiting list and everyone that has asked has been notified....that said, I have 3 bowl MRS' left from this latest batch (1 in green and 2 in black) ....I'm going to shift over to building regular MRS' over the next month....so first come first serve on the 3 bowl MRS' - send me a PM...they ship same day as payment! Thanks....

1 week later
#2772 4 years ago

I've burned through the MRS-CFTBL (bowl mod) wait-list and have just one left on the bench - shoot me a PM if you want it!

creech (resized).jpgcreech (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2774 4 years ago

Got a few orders in for more bowl MRS' - so I'm whipping up some black ones - PM me if interested!

creech (resized).jpgcreech (resized).jpg
#2780 4 years ago

1st pin I ever bought - last pin to ever consider parting with - it's just my kind of perfect...

3 weeks later
#2798 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

First off Way awesome upgrade and the quality is top notch!!! Thank you. Installed as noted but at random times now during game play the MRS switch is triggering? I cleaned the bowl real well before install but still randomly triggers during game play. Is there something to adjust or simply something that happens. Not a huge issue just odd to hear it now.

Depends on where you installed it...can you share a pic...also I know you indicated random, but did you notice any pattern at all? If you can, go to test mode - tap on the bowl, wave the pinball around it - see if you can find a pattern.....one thing I've worked on is tuning the sensitivity down some - you always want to go 'to 11' it seems when you build something but yours may be too sensitive....if it still persists - just shoot me a PM (you have my address) - and I'll swap you another one for yours.....

#2800 4 years ago

The potting material is irrelevant to the sensitivity - its' simply there to hold everything in, insulate and protect.....it doesn't have to be completely filled....sensitivity is a little more tricky to adjust for the end user (you have to have the parts...)....

Dave, what pics are you referring to? Is it below where the original Cherry was...over by the whirlpool wire ramp or by the wire ramp that dumps the ball to the right inlane?

#2807 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I ran the dmd screen diagnostic and it stated I had a Ram Address Error - what is involved in fixing?

Typically - and you can research this further....U24 on the controller board needs to be replaced....it's a couple dollars in parts - but it is a multi-pin chip - and you want to socket it......you may get lucky by reseating the ribbon cables at the DMD, DMD Controller and MPU....but that 6264 could be bad...

#2817 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

reseating the ribbon cables at the board and dmd did not change anything, nor the MPU
I checked out the U24 chip and it appears to have a socket there already and a different chip compared to the rest of the board's chips.
Any ideas what I have?
Do I just hunt down a 6264 Ram Chip?
Does the Chip need any programming or is it a simply remove this chip / board and insert the new chip?
ps - ignore the led night blur
[quoted image]

Fascinating - somebody used an NVRAM for it already....but it's not the usual suspects NVRAM product at first glance....part of me says the next step is to reseat the chip but do me a favor - reach out to @barakandl @borygard or @johnwartjr first - I think it simply may need to be replaced - but it's not a 'brand' if you will - that rings a bell for me....

#2821 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

just because it is on the pin out adapter board does not make it a NVRAM device. whoever installed it may have only had surface mount 6264. i would try a new ribbon cable between mpu and display board before trying to replace the chip if you have another WPC game to borrow ribbon cable from. any 6264 chip will work here. it does not need programmed.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alliance-Memory/AS6C6264-55PCN?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt9mBA6nIyysDfDw0vDQxSwL3Jgh6owPVw%3D

I'm not the OP, Andrew, but good to know information!! It threw me a sec....when I first saw it...

1 month later
#2876 4 years ago

Thank you a fellow pinsider had one!! Thanks, Pinside!

I made him buy our Taxi, Diner and Cactus Canyon bowl MRS' in trade : )

1 week later
#2896 4 years ago

The thing that turned me on most......the MRS in the bowl!!!!

: )

1 month later
#2989 3 years ago

Hey Creech folks! Need some help here. So I am in the process of putting the bowl back together in my restore and something ain’t right. See my photos below,.. it would appear one of the posts is supposed to be longer than the other, but I know these are the right posts?
Cheers
[quoted image][quoted image]

They indeed are different lengths Brady.

#2991 3 years ago

Well shoot now I have no idea which posts I swapped

Update: Brady and I found out they are indeed 1-3/16" in length on my original - thus the same - so either his bowl is 'off' or his posts - we will await his findings!

#3000 3 years ago
Quoted from BigMo:

Hi all
New to this group and want to say thanks to all as all these posts are awesome help to me.
Like many, with the lockdown approaching I bought a Cftbl pin to occupy my time. Got it fairly cheap as it needed help and planned to do some minor restoration.
When I got it I found it in a very sad and unloved state so started a full tear down and complete rebuild. I decided to go with as much new parts (playfield, ramps, plastics, boards, colorDMD, Speaker panel, targets, all switches, screws, nuts, posts, etc) as possible to give it another 27years+.
So far I am in at just over £3.5k not including the actual machine and about 120+ hours including rebuilding the bottom of the cabinet which had water damage.
Lots and lots of photos and learnings to share and lots more to learn but also so much more fun to be had in rebuilding this great game
A few before and after photos attached but will do a full write up soon as my eagerness means I may well finish sooner than planned
Cheers
Mo
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Don't forget the MRS for the whirlpool! : )

1 week later
#3014 3 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

What's one of these worth now? MikeD TV mod under the playfield, ColorDMD, LED lit speaker panel mod(flashing car taillights,moon,Diner sign), Swinks Snack bar mod, CT premium LEDs in all inserts/GI/Flashers, leds in some star posts, NVRAM, Cliffy's colored posts, Cliffy's snack bar and kiss hole protectors, lit pop bumper mod, MRS whirlpool magnetic switch mod, target decals, Pinbits plastic protector kit.[quoted image]

The MRS alone is a $500 value : )

2 weeks later
#3033 3 years ago

My first..... And after all these years... Still my favorite..... It'll never leave.....

#3038 3 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

The drive-in movie theme is absolutely timeless and the artwork for this game is the best. The long curly ramp that is available only during multi-ball is one of the best ramps in pinball.
Years ago when I saw that the multi-ball is only 2 balls I was initially a little disappointed, but now after owning a Creech for 9 years I can honestly say that the 2 ball multi-ball is amazing as it allows you to trap one ball on the left flipper and then shoot the big curly ramp to maximize the playfield multiplier thanks to the MRS on the whirlpool bowl provided by sonic.

Thanks Gord! In fact, I just shipped Fifty his MRS a few hours ago!

#3041 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Holy shit. Did you get one for free or something? That was one of the best product-placement sponsor moments I have ever read on here.
All in good fun ; ). It genuinely did make me LOL.

Hey - speaking of MRS' - how has yours been working Jeremiah?

1 week later
#3056 3 years ago

But does that Creech have an MRS?

#3059 3 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

And thats just one side of my office

Hmmm......I dont know what that is?

Well then...let me tell you! Take a gander back (or do a search for MRS in this forum) and you'll see testimonials and pics and such.... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-fans-and-members-welcome/page/56#post-5364241

It's a contactless switch replacement for the whirlpool - in effect, it allows the ball to spin around more in the bowl without getting slowed down by smacking that cherry switch lever...most folks go from 3-4 revolutions, to 7-9 (mine gets 12 or so - I also leveled the bowl).....

2 weeks later
#3105 3 years ago

How did the MRS work out?

matt

2 weeks later
#3167 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I managed to install the missing hex standoff, and also install my magnetic reed switch (MRS). Pictures are forthcoming. Thanks to everyone on helping me get the parts figured out for the standoff.
My 5 second review on the MRS. I like it. I purchased mine in green. The colour blends well and the fit is perfect. I didn't end up using the 3M tape to apply it to the bowl. The fit was so perfect on my machine that I was able to wedge it between the molex connector for the whirlpool bowl and the hex standoff. Once I post photos it will make it easier to understand. I was a little worried about rotations in the whirlpool. I had read some of you are getting 6 or 7 rotations. I thought this would make it a little too easy to max out the scoring, but mine gets only 2-3 rotations. I consider this normal and I'm very happy it doesn't get more than that. I have the rear feet extended all the way and the front ones all the way in so the angle is very steep. I would say the only thing I didn't think of is that with the regular switch the rotations only happen in one direction. The ball comes down from the habit trail and rotates counter clockwise in the bowl hitting the cherry switch in one direction. With the MRS, the ball is able to trigger the switch counter clockwise, but if it doesn't have enough oomph to get around again it sometimes falls backwards to the exit hole in the bowl and the MRS will count it as another rotation. This is really not a big deal, like I said I'm getting 3 switch triggers at the most. If I was getting 7-8 then I'd probably try to for better placement elsewhere on the bowl.
swinks Now that I have my MRS installed. I know you were considering making decals. Might I suggest a decal to cover the location of the old cherry switch, and at the same time one that goes on the right sling. I saw your design for the right sling, but I was thinking that maybe a more appropriate design for those locations would be just extending the whirlpool stickers or using elements from the main lagoon window on the sling plastic. Like this;
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Thanks for the review Tim! As you noted - you can 'adjust' your rotations by also adjusting the leveling of the bowl itself as well as it's entry from the wire ramp into the bowl. On mine, because I wanted to push the envelope - I can get more than 10 rotations....but can be adjusted for less.....this is a good segue into an announcement I'll be making tomorrow in regards to a limited-time discount on the Creech MRS....look for that tomorrow! Matt

#3169 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

10 ?!?!?!?!?!?
HFS.

Yeah, I got a little too obsessed about it once.....folks that come over get such a kick seeing it because they think it's an electromagnet (ala Getaway) making it rotate like that....

#3171 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

10 is nuts. I would feel guilty getting that many rotations!

I have been known to go to confession after playing!

#3174 3 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I'd be interested in seeing how you spaced your bowl to get that many rotations. I've tried spacing mine and get maybe 3.

It's pretty straightforward.....it starts with the MRS - I don't see you on my list - so you may not have one. Once installed, make sure the bowl front to back is as level as you can make it whilst still being able to slide the glass on/off....bowl side to side needs to be level - I made a wood jig to fit in the bowl and that allowed me to rest a bubble-level on it....then lastly , through trial & error, adjust the wire ramp so that the ball rolls into the bowl smoothly.....

#3176 3 years ago

Summer Special @ M&M Creations!!!

We are offering the Creech Whirlpool MRS for $20 (plus shipping) from now until July 22nd. Simply PM me. That's $10 off the regular price - sale ends noon (EST) on 7/22.

Thanks!

Matt & Dan
M&M Creations

4 months later
#3310 3 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Just received the new CPU ROM ver 5.0 and about to install, here we go.......

Same...but you'll beat me to install I think....

#3357 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I would love to replace these with reed switches. The two ramp switches with their grey covers are the only ugly things on this entire machine.

Oh....we are working on it....stay tuned!

#3381 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I would love to replace these with reed switches. The two ramp switches with their grey covers are the only ugly things on this entire machine.

Tim asked...we deliver.....we now have a RIGHT RAMP only MRS solution - the Move Your Car lane will take a little more R&D as there is a lot of metal in the lane...but the right ramp was workable....as you'll 'see' in the pic - the MRS simply adheres underneath the ramp and is predominately hidden by the decal...it becomes largely invisible...we improved upon the universal RAMP MRS recently and because of the size reduction have found more versatility in it...

Either way - just PM me if interested!

Thanks
Matt & Dan
M&M Creations

MRS_CFTBL_Rramp (resized).jpgMRS_CFTBL_Rramp (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3449 3 years ago

Finally! Got around to installing my movie poster mod! I picked this up in Texas 2 years ago for $25 bucks. I'm not huge into toys and mods on a PF because most of the time they block the site of the ball and effect game play. Since this was so cheap and it looked like it mounted in a place that was already somewhat of a dead area and out of the way I gave it a shot. Well I really like what it adds to the playfield! Just scrolls through old movie posters. Pretty neat when the creature poster comes up it will say "now playing" and the others say other days of the week. Used 12 and 5 volts and the harness it came with I was'nt a fan of. So I made my own custom harness with molex connectors to remove it nice and easy if needed. The wires were really short and they just wanted you to drape it over the back of the PF. I snuck all the wires out of the flasher behind it and under the PF into the wire loom. I get a nice reflection off the mirror blades as well.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Put an MRS in that bowl!

#3457 3 years ago

what da F is that!? Link me!

Simply search this forum by my handle Sonic or by the keyword MRS - you'll see tons of pics & testimonials......otherwise take a look at this particular post.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-fans-and-members-welcome/page/56#post-5378644

2 months later
#3772 3 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

I took the MRS switch off as I got so many rotations I felt like I was cheating lol. Put the factory switch back on and I always get 5-6 rotations with a nudge here and there I’m happy with that

"noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

#3778 3 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

Sorry mate It’s now in another creature being enjoyed

"Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssss!"

2 months later
#3883 2 years ago

Nope - you did good...placement can be crucial - in particular you want to watch your leads to ensure they don't run near any coils - they can pick up EM pulses from those coils....and same for the coil itself (like the sling) to the business end of the MRS..it typically doesn't take much movement to make a difference....but what you experienced is rare.....next point, you bought that MRS a LONG time ago - are you seriously getting around to installing it now!! LOL!

Matt
M&M Creations

9 months later
#4353 2 years ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

Do you have the MRS (Magnetic Reed Swtich) from Sonic installed or are you trying to cover the original microswitch. The MRS is so small I didn't see the need for a cover (see below) although you still see the connector for the lights on the bowl. I'm not sure the Swinks cover will work on top of the microswitch as it looks like it needs to fit flush with the top of the bowl where the microswitch would mount.
[quoted image]

And the new version is half that size!!

Matt
M&M Creations

#4355 2 years ago

Sonic wait, new version, say it ain't so...

Yep....it's much smaller.....in fact all of our bowl MRS' are the same, smaller size now....

Matt

2 years later
#5664 42 days ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Weird that it would just stop working.

Agreed...his is 3 years old now - but until I can get my hands on it...we will see!

Matt

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

€ 24.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sonic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-fans-and-members-welcome?tu=Sonic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.