IMG_0500 (resized).jpg
IMG_0498 (resized).jpg
IMG_0433 (resized).jpg
IMG_6548.jpeg
IMG_4535 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4533 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4534 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4531 (resized).jpeg
There are 5,701 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 115.
#4701 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

yes, I am in the Newcastle area just north of Sydney - where are you?

Based on his profile, he's on the NSW south coast near Tathra. Ya practically neighbours ... give or take 1000kms

#4702 1 year ago
Quoted from MT45:

Love mine!
[quoted image]

Great photo!

#4703 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Based on his profile, he's on the NSW south coast near Tathra. Ya practically neighbours ... give or take 1000kms

Not even, only 5 or 6 hundred k’s, I reckon.

Probably about the same distance to Melbourne.

But yes, 5 minutes from Tathra. Had lunch at Tathra pub today. Saw whales.

#4704 1 year ago

A5F736A8-2486-4F26-88C5-464BABECE557 (resized).jpegA5F736A8-2486-4F26-88C5-464BABECE557 (resized).jpeg Welp, time to put this sucker back together I guess!

#4705 1 year ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

[quoted image] Welp, time to put this sucker back together I guess!

Looks great. I need those corner metal leg decal protectors on mine, but I keep procrastinating on it.

#4706 1 year ago

I'm thinking of fixing this. I haven't bothered yet because well, honestly I forget it is there. It's really the only thing that needs to be fixed on my pin though so it's probably time.

I was going to glue a dowel into the hole, sand it and then re-decal the entire front. Is there an easier way that will look just as good? Curious to know how others would repair this.

Thanks.
creech (resized).jpgcreech (resized).jpg

#4707 1 year ago

If you can find a small 1 or 2oz tube of wood filler it would work better. It will sand much easier than a wood dowel, and fill the entire area easier. I place a piece of tape on the rear side of the hole and then smoosh in the filler so that it fills in nicely. If you don't get it nice and smooth, an outline of the drilled hole will still stand out behind the decal.

#4708 1 year ago

Fifty your on the right path. I would suggest a combination of a dowel and wood filler. Also, just an fyi, Dowels actually sand easier than wood filler does. You might be able to get away with masking the surrounding area, then filling the hole and sanding. If your ok with paint could try to touch up and get as close as possible.

If you mess up, then you can just go full decal replacement, and obv that will look the best… cheers

#4709 1 year ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I'm thinking of fixing this. I haven't bothered yet because well, honestly I forget it is there. It's really the only thing that needs to be fixed on my pin though so it's probably time.
I was going to glue a dowel into the hole, sand it and then re-decal the entire front. Is there an easier way that will look just as good? Curious to know how others would repair this.
Thanks.
[quoted image]

I’d fix that quick and cheap with a black carriage bolt and nut/washer on inside of cab. What little bit of damage may show around it can be touched up with a sharpie

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=Black+carriage+bolt

99CF3CEA-824A-4C28-8E3E-B5E70442D21D (resized).png99CF3CEA-824A-4C28-8E3E-B5E70442D21D (resized).png
#4710 1 year ago

Does anybody have a spare one of these decals?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4711 1 year ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

If you can find a small 1 or 2oz tube of wood filler it would work better. It will sand much easier than a wood dowel, and fill the entire area easier. I place a piece of tape on the rear side of the hole and then smoosh in the filler so that it fills in nicely. If you don't get it nice and smooth, an outline of the drilled hole will still stand out behind the decal.

Quoted from Soulrider911:

Fifty your on the right path. I would suggest a combination of a dowel and wood filler. Also, just an fyi, Dowels actually sand easier than wood filler does. You might be able to get away with masking the surrounding area, then filling the hole and sanding. If your ok with paint could try to touch up and get as close as possible.
If you mess up, then you can just go full decal replacement, and obv that will look the best… cheers

Quoted from MT45:

I’d fix that quick and cheap with a black carriage bolt and nut/washer on inside of cab. What little bit of damage may show around it can be touched up with a sharpie
https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=Black+carriage+bolt[quoted image]

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the ideas. I'm not sure which way I want to go with this fix, but you've given me a few things to think about.

#4713 1 year ago

The balls quite often gets stuck under the plastic ramp at the KISS-lane, does anyone else have the same problem and does anybody have a good solution?

246EF37B-E3C2-4EB2-AA5E-3E1FC113C872 (resized).jpeg246EF37B-E3C2-4EB2-AA5E-3E1FC113C872 (resized).jpeg
#4714 1 year ago

Hi all, it is time to replace the glass on my CFTBL. I would like to hear opions and recommedations.

Also I want to get a cover, any reccomendations there?

#4715 1 year ago
Quoted from Mellow:

Hi all, it is time to replace the glass on my CFTBL. I would like to hear opions and recommedations.
Also I want to get a cover, any reccomendations there?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-hd-vs-invisiglass-vs-pdi

#4717 1 year ago
Quoted from fschlau:

The balls quite often gets stuck under the plastic ramp at the KISS-lane, does anyone else have the same problem and does anybody have a good solution?
[quoted image]

I assume that it’s getting stuck on the way back out of the KISS scoop. If so, then maybe a slight adjustment to the scoop hood would help, altering the angle the ball comes out of there. In the photo it looks a little higher on the apron end of the scoop, so maybe a little push down on that corner might help.

#4718 1 year ago
Quoted from fschlau:

[quoted image]

loosen the lock nut and move the plastic over a smidge.

#4719 1 year ago
Quoted from fschlau:

[quoted image]

I also agree with 2pupPinz. Your scoop is way too high. Take it out of the machine and bend it back down so when it is reinstalled in the game the top of the scoop sits just below the tail light plastic. I had to bend both scoops on my game several.years ago. They came that way from the factory and I went thru two sets of plastics because the scoops were too high and that stressed and broke the plastic that was covering the scoops.

scoop (resized).jpgscoop (resized).jpg
#4720 1 year ago
Quoted from Devilsmuse:

I also agree with 2pupPinz. Your scoop is way too high. Take it out of the machine and bend it back down so when it is reinstalled in the game the top of the scoop sits just below the tail light plastic. I had to bend both scoops on my game several.years ago. They came that way from the factory and I went thru two sets of plastics because the scoops were too high and that stressed and broke the plastic that was covering the scoops.
[quoted image]

Yeah, it's way too high. Something is definitely wrong there. I'm not sure how it would even get this out of whack. It needs to be corrected.

#4721 1 year ago

I'm leaving the club due to new (to me) pins coming in and no place to put them.

Been struggling with the decision to sell it; listed it last week and pulled the ad within the same hour.

If anyone knows someone looking for a very nice CFTBL feel free to message me. Thanks!

#4722 1 year ago
Quoted from 2pupPinz:

I assume that it’s getting stuck on the way back out of the KISS scoop. If so, then maybe a slight adjustment to the scoop hood would help, altering the angle the ball comes out of there. In the photo it looks a little higher on the apron end of the scoop, so maybe a little push down on that corner might help.

No, the ball gets stucked shooting with the flippers up to get KISS, gets stucked under the plastic ramp

#4723 1 year ago
Quoted from crazypinballguy:

I'm leaving the club due to new (to me) pins coming in and no place to put them.
Been struggling with the decision to sell it; listed it last week and pulled the ad within the same hour.
If anyone knows someone looking for a very nice CFTBL feel free to message me. Thanks!

PM sent.

#4724 1 year ago
Quoted from fschlau:

No, the ball gets stucked shooting with the flippers up to get KISS, gets stucked under the plastic ramp

Wow! Really?!? Is it airborne when it leaves the flippers or catch air when it makes the turn?

Maybe need to adjust the ball rail leading up to the KISS hole is my only guess. Really didn’t think it would do that from the flipper.

#4725 1 year ago

Can you video it happening?!?

#4726 1 year ago

Level your lagoon window.

#4727 1 year ago

This has been a long strange trip and while I won’t say this game is all the way there I’m pretty happy with where is it.

Picked this game up from a pin buddy 4 years ago (post 1647) as a basket case reimported project. Shopped it out and played it for a while and then another pin buddy did a PF swap for me (post 4148) and then I decided the old thrashed cab just wouldn’t do. So yet another pin buddy of mine did the cab work and decals (post 4704) and then finally we puzzled it together over the last couple weeks and finally here we are!

168B74CA-4B83-4C3E-B3C2-49FBA21C5428 (resized).jpeg168B74CA-4B83-4C3E-B3C2-49FBA21C5428 (resized).jpeg
721C36A8-009D-48E6-B12E-46031C1A9AEB (resized).jpeg721C36A8-009D-48E6-B12E-46031C1A9AEB (resized).jpeg2B56BB7A-AB0D-4F06-B1ED-7D592DE95283 (resized).jpeg2B56BB7A-AB0D-4F06-B1ED-7D592DE95283 (resized).jpeg

Huge thanks to all my pin buddies who helped with this game, it really was a community effort with people hooking me up with parts and help and support.

I’m so excited to finally have this project “done” and to have a beautiful example of this beautiful game!

Oh it could use a better hologram BTW… so if anyone has a good used one (maybe because they upgraded to an LCD mod) please let me know and maybe we can work a deal!

1 week later
#4728 1 year ago

Just added this forum, although I've had CFTBL for several years now.

The pin was in storage for a few years. (Have to rotate 'em In / Out, as space is always an issue. I've never been willing to turn the residence into an arcade . . . . ) Anyway, upon the recent rotation, I discovered that this pin had alkaline batteries in the *stand-off holder* -- something I normally avoid, but in this case was an oversight -- and that *one* of those batteries had leaked. I cleaned out the green gunk residue with a brush, as best I could, although perhaps not completely enough. I replaced the three batteries with Lithium ones. But now I'm finding that Settings and High Scores do not stick; turning the game on immediately shows a reversion to Factory Settings message, which is annoying. I've heard tell of *a possibility* of acid damage traveling outward along the wiring. What do I need to look for or test ? What is my next move . . . besides cleaning out any (small) remaining trace of the green residue with isopropyl alcohol ? The game seems to be operating normally, apart from the above issue.

A secondary question: How do you go about deleting / replacing High Scores from a previous owner ? Whatever is going on, *those* seem to have survived.

#4729 1 year ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Oh it could use a better hologram BTW… so if anyone has a good used one (maybe because they upgraded to an LCD mod) please let me know and maybe we can work a deal!

I don't know whether it is still on the market, or whether it was any good , but I seem to recall seeing a mod available that would replace the standard hologram with a video clip. (Presumably this was derived from one of the CFTBL movies ? There was at least one sequel, BTW.) My hologram remains more than satisfactory, but I'd be curious to learn whether the aforementioned mod was considered any good by owners who tried it, and if there is any current market status info for it.

#4730 1 year ago

Sorry to hear about the dreaded “acid damage”. Lots of advice on investigating and neutralizing acid (search MPU acid damage). For sure check that out and take care of it asap as the acid left behind can continue to do damage. My guess is that at the very least, the acid has damaged the contacts in yours since new batteries aren’t holding settings. Make sure the +/- ends are installed the same as when you took them out as well (I’ve done them backwards before).

To reset high scores find “H.S.T.D” in adjustments menu to reset (link to manual on ipdb:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/588/Bally_1992_Creature_from_the_Black_Lagoon_Full_Operations_Manual.pdf

As far as the video option based on your time frame you most likely are referring to the MikeD mod, which if you search is great, but no longer made and virtually unobtainable. There is another version if you search by someone in Europe that some have installed (bit pricey and involved for me).

Link:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hologram-mod-for-creature-from-pinballsp-is-under-development

#4731 1 year ago

Creature was my first real restore quit a few years ago.
I love this game! I've changed my ways alot over the years and now going to do a full restore again with a new cabinet although my cabinet is really nice. I like to custom things - alot!
Currently I have all black ripple powdercoat on my game but have decided on full chrome look now as too many games of mine have black trim and I want to focus on the 50s vibe... I already have quite a few mods but some need modifying...custom topper I designed, translite, speaker panel, fix snack bar lighting etc. I've had all versions of the lcd holo and didnt like them at all so did a custom 3d creech instead. I also have the repro holo which is a great alternative to the original imo but I'm sticking with my guy..video below if you haven't seen it.

I'm not keen on some of the mods out there as they are too much visually for me to enjoy, or just don't appeal.to me, but have some more custom stuff planned of my own.

The only thing I'm stuck on is the cab art decisions. I've seen the purple version out there which is not for me. I was thinking b&w theme..but have done that already now on a few pins, 50s iconic themes, but still undecided. The front cab decal I dislike the most to be honest, side art is ok but lacks alot of detail I feel...back box I think is cool. Would love to see any custom ones you all have seen or done yourselves? Thanks!

#4732 1 year ago

Really like the creature mod. Are you taking orders?

#4733 1 year ago
Quoted from JBtheAVguy:

Really like the creature mod. Are you taking orders?

Yes. Very cool holo mod. Mine is totally black. Taking orders ?

#4734 1 year ago

I'd feel bad taking peoples money for that mod...allthough I know others wouldn't! Most mods are stupidly overpriced for what they are. Don't start me on toppers lol....

Very simple, source a Creech Diamond Select Bust bank, bit of aquarium seaweed, 12v light strip off ebay and off you go. I also added some inetractive lighting so you get a glimpse of him more often....you could do this by a piggy back off a light insert or I used the awesome relay out mode of my pinsound setup.

#4735 1 year ago
Quoted from KJS:

I'd feel bad taking peoples money for that mod...allthough I know others wouldn't! Most mods are stupidly overpriced for what they are. Don't start me on toppers lol....
Very simple, source a Creech Diamond Select Bust bank, bit of aquarium seaweed, 12v light strip off ebay and off you go. I also added some inetractive lighting so you get a glimpse of him more often....you could do this by a piggy back off a light insert or I used the awesome relay out mode of my pinsound setup.

This is why I love this hobby. That’s so clever and simple and it looks great!Thanks for sharing!

#4736 1 year ago

What's a nice example worth with MikeD mod, speaker panel tail light mod, snackbar lighted mod, chrome trim, color DMD, and full LEDs. Playfield is in excellent shape, just some minor wear around flipper buttons.

269978322_10220325715320393_850770318927891133_n (resized).jpg269978322_10220325715320393_850770318927891133_n (resized).jpg270748468_10220325716000410_6963633637745471247_n (resized).jpg270748468_10220325716000410_6963633637745471247_n (resized).jpg

#4737 1 year ago

In Australia about 11-12k

#4738 1 year ago

Any idea where to get the mirrored backglass in the EU?

#4739 1 year ago

Xianek.eu ?

#4740 1 year ago
Quoted from KJS:

Xianek.eu ?

Ok I will try him. Thanks.

#4741 1 year ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Ok I will try him. Thanks.

I think he does not do the mirrored ones but many other types

#4742 1 year ago
Quoted from KJS:

A couple years ago, I recall seeing a (home-made; sculpted ?) creature topper, with red eyes that lit up, which was being sold on eBay. Generally speaking, I tend to go thumbs down on most game mods. Someone local who seems to be pretty competent doing most of his own repairs put in some CFTBL mod -- it may have involved the speakers ?, or some display feature between the backglass and scoring panel ? -- and this ended up vying for electric power, to the detriment of some standard game functions. I've heard that this is not an uncommon result. And that has added to my being leery of the whole mod idea, which can easily cross over into distraction and overkill. (I expect there could be exceptions to that, case by case.)

One game that I bought had had a couple mods done by the previous owner, but they were not the type to run afoul of anything.

#4743 1 year ago
Quoted from 2pupPinz:

Sorry to hear about the dreaded “acid damage”. Lots of advice on investigating and neutralizing acid (search MPU acid damage). For sure check that out and take care of it asap as the acid left behind can continue to do damage. My guess is that at the very least, the acid has damaged the contacts in yours since new batteries aren’t holding settings. Make sure the +/- ends are installed the same as when you took them out as well (I’ve done them backwards before).
To reset high scores find “H.S.T.D” in adjustments menu to reset (link to manual on ipdb:
https://www.ipdb.org/files/588/Bally_1992_Creature_from_the_Black_Lagoon_Full_Operations_Manual.pdf
As far as the video option based on your time frame you most likely are referring to the MikeD mod, which if you search is great, but no longer made and virtually unobtainable. There is another version if you search by someone in Europe that some have installed (bit pricey and involved for me).
Link:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hologram-mod-for-creature-from-pinballsp-is-under-development

Thanks. In case it was not clear, the batteries were in a separate battery holder, removed from any boards. I'm going to have my regular tech check that situation out.

Would like to find more info on that MikeD mod, for reference, even if it's no longer available. The price on that European one does not necessarily deter me . . . but I'm basically allergic to the idea of major surgery: whether for the person, or for something mechanical. If it ain't seriously broke . . . .

#4744 1 year ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Any idea where to get the mirrored backglass in the EU?

Mirrored backglass is from CPR. They deliver.

#4745 1 year ago
Quoted from jake35:

What's a nice example worth with MikeD mod, speaker panel tail light mod, snackbar lighted mod, chrome trim, color DMD, and full LEDs. Playfield is in excellent shape, just some minor wear around flipper buttons.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Depends on your location. $8000 in Canada is average. MikeD mod seems to gain more interest. Backglass is a $400 add-on, but doesn't necessarily add to the value. The one in your pics has the Swinks Snackbar mod which is one of the best mods out there and a ColorDMD. It doesn't seem to have the mirrored speaker panel. The MikeD Mod, Color DMD, and Swink SB mod add value in my opinion. That topper detracts value for me.

#4746 1 year ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Depends on your location. $8000 in Canada is average. MikeD mod seems to gain more interest. Backglass is a $400 add-on, but doesn't necessarily add to the value. The one in your pics has the Swinks Snackbar mod which is one of the best mods out there and a ColorDMD. It doesn't seem to have the mirrored speaker panel. The MikeD Mod, Color DMD, and Swink SB mod add value in my opinion. That topper detracts value for me.

thanks. the topper is just sitting up there, not mounted in any way so it doesn't affect value one way or the other really. i wish there was a factory topper for it but they weren't a thing back then apparently. I added the backglass, guy I bought it from years ago said it had MikeD TV mod under the playfield, ColorDMD, LED lit speaker panel mod ,, Swinks Snack bar mod, lit pop bumper mod, MRS whirlpool magnetic switch mod. It's a pretty fun game.

#4747 1 year ago
Quoted from jake35:

i wish there was a factory topper for it but they weren't a thing back then apparently.

White Water and the Addams Family would disagree with you as well as a bunch of others.

#4748 1 year ago
Quoted from Fifty:

White Water and the Addams Family would disagree with you as well as a bunch of others.

As well as Fish Tales

#4749 1 year ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Yea forgot about those. Wonder why some were omitted?

#4750 1 year ago
Quoted from Fifty:

The White Water animated waterfall one has to be one of the most attractive I've ever seen. Reminded me of a similar effect animated beer sign that you'd see at some bars, back in the day. There were several of those using the same theme, but one of them really stood out over the others. Can't remember the brand.

Incidentally, and more CFTBL-oriented, I am liking the hologram mod for it that is being sold in the Marketplace here,

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1032-lighted-pinball-mods/04567-creature-from-the-black-lagoon-pinball-hologram-topper.

(I did not care to go mucking around in the guts of the machine, so I went with the hanging Wall Art portion of the kit, rather than the topper one. It's great that a choice exists.) Some of the video clips seen so far are better and more detailed than others, but you can acquire other clips for other games in various ways. I'm trying to find out what the maximum clips resolution might be. This is already seemingly well beyond the tech of a few years ago, but I think it may have more potential still.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 9.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

€ 24.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,701 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 115.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-fans-and-members-welcome/page/95?hl=flipper_mcgavin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.