New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 79267)

CFTBL- Fans and members welcome!!!

By vilant

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,365 posts
  • 367 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 57 minutes ago by PinballPat
  • Topic is favorited by 206 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,123 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image2 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
6C6BCAE0-FDF7-4301-B2F3-8689B6F53F2D (resized).jpeg
hotdog3 (resized).jpg
C44A5A6B-2591-4A3E-B04B-D4A8C1D99DE2 (resized).jpeg
11 (resized).jpg
1A6F3801-5204-4D72-B8D2-CF8786DC9B86 (resized).jpeg
1A1BA092-093B-4540-B451-ECE7D4C5D6B0 (resized).jpeg
EC478E3B-65C6-453F-8111-C560A32A8ECE (resized).jpeg
CFTBL - Snackbar Mod v2.2 (resized).jpg
68576001-9D16-4A37-90C0-B3B9A1FB5E06 (resized).jpeg
65E37A38-F0BD-44DC-80E2-412F2D6E9FF7 (resized).jpeg
94D46F4B-66DE-4097-A86F-CAE62B52ABE7 (resized).jpeg
552081FA-23A8-43D3-9182-00086DFAF53B (resized).jpeg
016872AB-0A2A-4AE7-9DC4-BAD271EF5A20 (resized).jpeg
933512B6-90E4-417E-92F9-9DB178F88976 (resized).jpeg

There are 3365 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 68.
#3251 50 days ago

You’re welcome glad you got it working!

Thanks swinks I’ll check mine when I get home, it may be a v1 with EL wire. I think I may have a spare set that came with it...

#3252 50 days ago

Could someone learn me a trick ?
If I've the two flipper coils FL-11629 and FL-11630 in the hand, without wraps ? How can I know which one is the 629 and which one is the 630 ?
I don't have to solve this problem, but I want to upgrade mi knowledge understanding the differences.

#3253 49 days ago
Quoted from Marco1973:

Could someone learn me a trick ?
If I've the two flipper coils FL-11629 and FL-11630 in the hand, without wraps ? How can I know which one is the 629 and which one is the 630 ?
I don't have to solve this problem, but I want to upgrade mi knowledge understanding the differences.

Measure the resistance of the coils (note flipper coils have 2 windings) and compare to the below table
Flipper Coils (resized).JPG

Here is a link to the resistance table for all pinball coils https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

#3254 43 days ago

This morning my machine worked fine. When I turn on my CFTBL this evening the speakers crackle and I get these errors and buttons have no power.

Any pointers to want could be the problem?

IMG_0258 (resized).JPGIMG_2078 (resized).JPGIMG_4231 (resized).JPGIMG_6168 (resized).JPG
#3255 42 days ago
Quoted from AmishPinball:

This morning my machine worked fine. When I turn on my CFTBL this evening the speakers crackle and I get these errors and buttons have no power.
Any pointers to want could be the problem?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those errors aren't associated with a particular row or column

CFTBL Switch Matrix (resized).JPG

I'd initially try reseating your cables

#3256 42 days ago

I checked the cables but still got errors. I checked the fuses and ended up replacing F115, F901, and F902 and it resolved the errors.

#3257 42 days ago
Quoted from AmishPinball:

I checked the cables but still got errors. I checked the fuses and ended up replacing F115, F901, and F902 and it resolved the errors.

Hhmm it blew 3 fuses, well that explains why there was no single correlation with the symptoms. Wondering though what caused all 3 to blow given it was fully working earlier in the day

#3258 42 days ago

I just added the machine to my collection a few days ago and i don't have too much history on it. I don't think the machine was played much. Thanks again for your suggestions.

#3259 41 days ago
Quoted from jk:

Anybody know much about the pinball center Creature Hologram?
Anybody using it? Any reviews? Thanks [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have been wondering about this as well . Has anyone bought one of these from Pinball Center ?

#3260 36 days ago

Does anyone want a broken A-13088-2 "TRIAC DRIVER BOARD"? Some basic repairs were attempted (reflowing joints, replacing resistor, piggy backing a trace with a wire), but I ultimately just got a new board. Just cover shipping ($10?). PM me, thanks!

#3261 33 days ago

With regards to pinball center, it's really "meh"... My CFTBL is fitted with one ( bought it at a retailer about two months ago, and he had it replaced), and the size seems odd, ie it seems small compared to the window size.

It does have a hologram effect though.

Brightness is a problem however, but that could be the lamp setup (I have not yet checked the light path, mirror, etc). For that matter, if anyone has a suggestion on what to check I'm interested.

I have one question: the right vertical ejector for letter "M" sometimes get stucks, ie the ball does not reach enough velocity to eject in the ramp and fall back in the ejector. And it does so in loop, quite annoying.

I checked the coil mechanism, and nothing seems out of the ordinary. So before I replace the coil completely, someone suggested that it might miss a small piece of rubber on top of the coil axis, where the ball sits, to increase slightly the height. Could someone send me a picture of this ejector so I can check whether it's missing on my unit ?

Also, if someone in Europe is parting with their snack bar v1 to v4, I would be interested.

On a sidenote, for those interested into ressurecting MikeD mod, it's actually available in some sort, see this thread here for those who might have missed it:
https://go-dmd.de/produkt/tiltaudio-cftbl-bundle/

Beware though... it's not for the faint of heart. It requires to replace the audio board with TiltAudio board (it does have the side benefit of allowing you to change the audio mix, just like Pinsound), which you need to solder yourself (and there are SMD components there...). And then you need to figure out the fixture mechanism, add all necessary components (secondary RPI for the display, etc). So be sure you know what you're getting into with this mod . There seems to be an alternative if you have a Pin2DMD, but I have not checked it yet.

As for me I'll make the jump. Just need to figure out how to mount the display.

regards

#3262 33 days ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

I have one question: the right vertical ejector for letter "M" sometimes get stucks, ie the ball does not reach enough velocity to eject in the ramp and fall back in the ejector. And it does so in loop, quite annoying.
I checked the coil mechanism, and nothing seems out of the ordinary. So before I replace the coil completely, someone suggested that it might miss a small piece of rubber on top of the coil axis, where the ball sits, to increase slightly the height. Could someone send me a picture of this ejector so I can check whether it's missing on my unit ?

The manual will show you all the various parts (you can download the manual from https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=588)

Typically you don't need to replace coils however did you replace the coil sleeve (#11 in the diagram)? This can cause sluggish action

As to the ball popper cup (#8 in the diagram) here's some pics and suppliers
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8561
https://www.pinballshop.nl/playfield-parts/flipper-and-plunger/ball-popper-cup-williams-vuk-vertical-up-kicker-03-8561/?sl=en

CFTBL Slide Ball Popper (resized).JPG
#3263 33 days ago

maybe someone can take another stab at making a hologram using this figure from mondo
14-Universal-Monster-Creature-Black-Lagoon-Scale-Figure-Green-swim_1024x (resized).png

https://mondoshop.com/collections/universal-monsters/products/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-1-6-scale-figure

grayscale variant
https://mondoshop.com/collections/universal-monsters/products/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-1-6-scale-figure-silver-screen-variant

#3264 32 days ago

I cleaned the sleeve, but did not replace it yet (did not have one handy ^

That said... I'm pretty sure I don't have the cup outlined in your diagram. Thanks for the pointer!

I wish I had the 3d model as I could very easily print it using my resin printer (although I can pro ably recreate it if I can see how it's mounted on the coil axis)

#3265 32 days ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

I cleaned the sleeve, but did not replace it yet (did not have one handy ^
That said... I'm pretty sure I don't have the cup outlined in your diagram. Thanks for the pointer!
I wish I had the 3d model as I could very easily print it using my resin printer (although I can pro ably recreate it if I can see how it's mounted on the coil axis)

You must have that cup or it will not work correctly.

#3266 32 days ago

That figure isn’t out quite yet - supposed to be in First quarter next year

1 week later
#3267 22 days ago

The rebuild begins. This thing was a re-import, and I didn’t catch it until I got it home. This game has seen a lot of play...but will clean up nicely.

The backboard is damaged where the metal “lift ramp” screwed into it. Any ideas on how to fix it? Seems like wood filler would crumble.

Here’s a pic of the playfield after novus and a coat of wax. Getting there!

8BB54BC0-DC50-4067-BCA7-94238260300F (resized).jpegD85A09F5-A300-4592-820B-399B2ED49437 (resized).jpeg
#3268 21 days ago
Quoted from PinJim:

The rebuild begins. This thing was a re-import, and I didn’t catch it until I got it home. This game has seen a lot of play...but will clean up nicely.
The backboard is damaged where the metal “lift ramp” screwed into it. Any ideas on how to fix it? Seems like wood filler would crumble.
Here’s a pic of the playfield after novus and a coat of wax. Getting there![quoted image][quoted image]

You could use an epoxy filler which is better at binding over a standard wood filler and would have the strength to be screwed into.

Alternatively replace the backboard (depending upon what tools you have available)

1 week later
#3269 13 days ago
Quoted from Manny65:

You could use an epoxy filler which is better at binding over a standard wood filler and would have the strength to be screwed into.
Alternatively replace the backboard (depending upon what tools you have available)

Thanks, I used kwikwood to fill the void. I haven’t drilled it yet for a screw, we’lol see how it holds up.

It doesn’t sand well, and it looks better in person. The game is players condition....so I’m not that concerned.
F73CB326-E20B-4415-AF1A-94C445352C94 (resized).jpeg5A8FD0E7-C999-4658-8D7B-DD39BC71DC25 (resized).jpegEFEACC40-1E46-42E1-B5FF-921C65964349 (resized).jpeg

#3270 13 days ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Thanks, I used kwikwood to fill the void. I haven’t drilled it yet for a screw, we’lol see how it holds up.
It doesn’t sand well, and it looks better in person. The game is players condition....so I’m not that concerned.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I've used JB Weld metal epoxy in the past which is great, haven't tried their wood version. I think pre-drilling the screw hole is a good idea so not to stress/damage the filler and it's binding to the timber.

#3271 13 days ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I've used JB Weld metal epoxy in the past which is great, haven't tried their wood version. I think pre-drilling the screw hole is a good idea so not to stress/damage the filler and it's binding to the timber.

KwikWood should be totally fine for this - it is super strong as long as you let it cure for a few days without messing with it. Looks like you're in good shape. It does sand, but it is kind of a pain yes.

#3272 13 days ago

Came out pretty good. I wouldn't have thought to use wood epoxy.

#3273 13 days ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Came out pretty good. I wouldn't have thought to use wood epoxy.

Thanks. The laminate on the face of the board didn’t stick to the kwikwood, so it still puffs out a bit. I tried to get some superglue down in there to secure it but that failed too. Honestly, I’m not that worried about it though.

I’ll post again once it’s drilled and screwed. I have a long ways to go with the game, almost all underside mechs have been rebuilt. On to the topside next.

I assume based on what I’ve read that I won’t be able to find a replacement motor / gearbox for the mirror / hologram. One of mine is dead and the other makes awful noises. And if I’m reading correctly, the mods for it are NLA. Frustrating...

#3274 13 days ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Thanks. The laminate on the face of the board didn’t stick to the kwikwood, so it still puffs out a bit. I tried to get some superglue down in there to secure it but that failed too. Honestly, I’m not that worried about it though.
I’ll post again once it’s drilled and screwed. I have a long ways to go with the game, almost all underside mechs have been rebuilt. On to the topside next.
I assume based on what I’ve read that I won’t be able to find a replacement motor / gearbox for the mirror / hologram. One of mine is dead and the other makes awful noises. And if I’m reading correctly, the mods for it are NLA. Frustrating...

It is REALLY hard to find that motor, yes. Swinks may be still doing the snack bar mod, which far more than the others, is a must-have.

Also check out Compy86's mod for the Twilight zone backboard. Even if he doesn't plan on making one for CFTBL (I bet he is, but he has not said so), it could be easily adapted to the game, with almost trivial changes to the code.

#3275 13 days ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Can the motors be rebuilt? I have a couple grindy ones too.

#3276 13 days ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Can the motors be rebuilt? I have a couple grindy ones too.

Not sure. If someone knows, I’d love to hear about it. My working one sounds like it has sand in the gear box...

#3277 12 days ago

Progress! Only posting it here because my wife and coworkers are tired of hearing about it, ha ha.

933512B6-90E4-417E-92F9-9DB178F88976 (resized).jpeg
#3278 12 days ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Not sure. If someone knows, I’d love to hear about it. My working one sounds like it has sand in the gear box...

Not sure. I don't think they are sealed units. They should be able to come apart.

#3279 12 days ago

check this thread out for leads on the motors

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-the-infamous-cftbl-motors-repro

and reach out to him - he may still have a few

#3280 11 days ago

If anyone buys the new ROM please post a review. Reading about the update is not the same as hearing from someone who has played it. I'm curios to see just how much of an improvement it is.

#3281 11 days ago

I'm also curious if the new ROM would break the Mike D mod in any way. I know it reads switches or lights for status? So if the code changed those in some way perhaps it wouldn't work?

#3282 10 days ago

May I have a pointer to this new rom, and what it's supposed to bring?

Regards

#3285 10 days ago
Quoted from mavantix:

I'm also curious if the new ROM would break the Mike D mod in any way. I know it reads switches or lights for status? So if the code changed those in some way perhaps it wouldn't work?

I'm curious about this as well.

#3286 10 days ago

Unless the code change involves something that would normally trigger the Creature I don't think it will have any negative effect. I don't recall reading about anything like that in the update. I'm curios about the new changes so I went ahead and ordered the new ROM and will report back after I install it.

#3287 10 days ago

Figured I’d give the new rom a try, will let you all know if I notice any weirdness with MikeD mod.

#3288 10 days ago

Seems pretty cool. I'd be interested to see how it affects LEDs in the matrix.

I'm also interested to see what the left inlane scoring features are it is talking about. I guess I never noticed this.

Can someone elaborate on the Snack Attack bug?

#3289 10 days ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Seems pretty cool. I'd be interested to see how it affects LEDs in the matrix.
I'm also interested to see what the left inlane scoring features are it is talking about. I guess I never noticed this.

It has driven me slightly nuts trying to figure out how to obtain the lit inlane awards. Didn't know there weren't any! The new ROM is worth the price of admission just for that.

#3290 9 days ago

I have 2 creature motors spare.. I will plug them
In and see if they work..

#3291 9 days ago
Quoted from Fifty:

This is from Tilt Forums however I haven't been able to reproduce it (so maybe the below procedure is not quite right however I have heard of this bug occurring):
The CFTBL snack attack bug is to start snack attack (typically 4 right ramps), do NOT collect it, then start multiball instead (helps to be lit before starting snack attack). In order for the bug to occur, you need to drain directly from multiball to bonus (actually I believe you can drain during the restart timer as well because modes are resurrected yet). On your next ball, snack attack will restart, with the hurryup value starting at ZERO. This causes an underflow to 9.999B, so you have to wait long enough that your score + hurryup doesn’t go back OVER 10B, otherwise you have basically subtracted points from your score.

#3292 9 days ago
Quoted from Manny65:

This is from Tilt Forums however I haven't been able to reproduce it (so maybe the below procedure is not quite right however I have heard of this bug occurring):
The CFTBL snack attack bug is to start snack attack (typically 4 right ramps), do NOT collect it, then start multiball instead (helps to be lit before starting snack attack). In order for the bug to occur, you need to drain directly from multiball to bonus (actually I believe you can drain during the restart timer as well because modes are resurrected yet). On your next ball, snack attack will restart, with the hurryup value starting at ZERO. This causes an underflow to 9.999B, so you have to wait long enough that your score + hurryup doesn’t go back OVER 10B, otherwise you have basically subtracted points from your score.

Yeah I dont know about this. I have gotten the snack attack when it was in the billions and it never gave me or took away anything.

#3293 9 days ago

Ordered. I'll report back once I've had time to really test it out.

#3294 9 days ago

It has been a few years since I have replaced a CPU ROM in one of my pinball machines so I just want to confirm a few things prior to installing the upgraded CPU ROM chip on my CFTBL.

1. I assume that any custom settings will be lost and I will need to reset them manually once the new CPU ROM chip is installed.
2. Will high scores be reset and if so is there any way to manually enter them once the new CPU ROM has been installed?

Thanks.

Gord

#3295 9 days ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

It has been a few years since I have replaced a CPU ROM in one of my pinball machines so I just want to confirm a few things prior to installing the upgraded CPU ROM chip on my CFTBL.
1. I assume that any custom settings will be lost and I will need to reset them manually once the new CPU ROM chip is installed.
2. Will high scores be reset and if so is there any way to manually enter them once the new CPU ROM has been installed?
Thanks.
Gord

All settings will be back at factory default, as far as it goes for scoring you can set the defaults to be whatever number you wish but I don't believe you can set #1 for example to xxx,xxx,xxx - DAD - . So you'll just have to put those numbers up again with the new bug free code

#3296 9 days ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

All settings will be back at factory default, as far as it goes for scoring you can set the defaults to be whatever number you wish but I don't believe you can set #1 for example to xxx,xxx,xxx - DAD - . So you'll just have to put those numbers up again with the new bug free code

Thanks for confirming what I thought to be the case.

Gord

#3297 8 days ago

I wish that riveted plastics came....riveted. The snack bar plastic I bought from Marco didn’t have the red dome attached. Here’s my cheapo riveting set up and the results. I may have got it too tight, but nothing appears cracked or spidered.

I put three layers of painters tape over the exposed side of rivet to protect it and used a thick piece of metal set on the concrete floor as solid surface to take the brunt of the hits.

All in all, I’m happy with it.

552081FA-23A8-43D3-9182-00086DFAF53B (resized).jpeg94D46F4B-66DE-4097-A86F-CAE62B52ABE7 (resized).jpeg016872AB-0A2A-4AE7-9DC4-BAD271EF5A20 (resized).jpeg
#3298 8 days ago

Does someone have a picture of this area? Clearly something is not right with the setup for my snack bar plastic. When I got the game, the plastic was snapped in two. I assume I’m missing a hex post or something here?

68576001-9D16-4A37-90C0-B3B9A1FB5E06 (resized).jpeg65E37A38-F0BD-44DC-80E2-412F2D6E9FF7 (resized).jpeg
#3299 8 days ago

The plastic is prone to snap at the snackbar hole due to the flex over the metal guide of the snackbar hole - maybe a little heat to shape the plastic

#3300 7 days ago
Quoted from swinks:

The plastic is prone to snap at the snackbar hole due to the flex over the metal guide of the snackbar hole - maybe a little heat to shape the plastic

I bent both of the metal scoops down so they do not touch the plastics on my CFTBL after replacing both plastics.

The ball only goes in those holes.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 3365 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 68.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside