Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi everyone. I would appreciate any pointers on how to troubleshoot a problem I'm having. Please forgive me in advance for not having any technical skill, and I might not describe the problem using the right jargon.

So I just moved my CFTBL to Miami as part of a military move from New Jersey. Although numerous items were wrecked in the move, my creech only had two problems: (1) some cabinet damage, which I have touched up and (2) getting a factory reset each time I turn it on.

I removed the batteries and inspected the holder. There is no battery corrosion or anything, but it appears the the bottom of the middle terminal is missing a piece--the other two have a little silver disk, but the silver disk is missing from the middle one. I think it may have fallen out when I removed the batteries (I have not been able to relocate it).

So I went ahead and got a no-solder remote battery holder, which would enable me to ignore the middle terminal. But no luck. I tested the batteries, and installed the holder correctly (I think -- black negative terminal at the top right, silver positive terminal at the bottom left). I made some changes to the adjustments and shut it down. Started it up... and no difference. Still getting a factory reset.

So what the heck am I supposed to do now?

#2 6 years ago

Take a meter and see if power is getting onto the board. Then you'd know which way to go next.

LTG : )™

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Take a meter and see if power is getting onto the board. Then you'd know which way to go next.

Thanks. Please bear in mind that I fried the last two meters I bought because I don't know how to use them. (I really meant what I said about having no technical skill.) But are you suggesting I contact the meter at the positive and negative terminals of the battery holder on the board? Or am I supposed to contact a different place on the board? Sorry but I need to ask specific questions because I have no idea what I'm doing.

#4 6 years ago

I just found a good guide on how to test the batteries here:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Battery_Issues

Gonna try this later this week and see what I can find out.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from gwarrior:

I fried the last two meters I bought because I don't know how to use them.

Youtube - lots of short how to videos.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Ok. So using a rudimentary meter I hooked up the first lead to the negative terminal on the battery holder, and the second lead to what I think was pin 28 on the RAM chip (the lower right pin on the lowest socket chip), and it showed a current. I also put the second lead to diode D2, and it showed a current. I also put the second lead to diode D1, and got no current. I tried putting the second lead in other places as well to see if I got a current, just to check if this was a fluke or I was doing something wrong, and I got no current.

So this tells me power is getting to the board...I think.

I pushed on all the socket chips to make sure they were seated as well. Still getting factory reset.

If power is flowing from the battery pack to the board, then something must be wrong on the board. But how can it be isolated? Should I just replace the whole board? I could get a new Rotten Dog Board ( http://rottendog.us/MPU089.html ) and re-use the chips from my current board, but is it possible that the chips are the problem?

#7 6 years ago

I'd test D2, or replace it, before getting a new board.

#8 6 years ago

Might try buying a nvram chip. http://lockwhenlit.com/anyPin.htm You might want one anyway for later if it does not fix your problem.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd test D2, or replace it, before getting a new board.

How do I diagnose D2? I can go out an buy a legit multimeter this weekend and give it a try.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from legotech1:

Might try buying a nvram chip. http://lockwhenlit.com/anyPin.htm You might want one anyway for later if it does not fix your problem.

Aren't these extremely hard to install on a Williams board?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from gwarrior:

How do I diagnose D2?

You have to remove one leg from the board so it isn't in circuit. Then check with a meter that has a diode setting.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside