Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by netminda
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider netminda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hello-

I installed a color DMD in my CFTBL last evening. Everything went great, played a few games and shut it off. Just turned it back on earlier and it fired right up...then I heard a coil firing over and over again from the other room and now the color DMD is not working. Don't see any burned fuses and now when I power the game on I get one coil fire and the DMD is not working.

Any ideas on what may have happened and where to start troubleshooting this?

Thanks, Rob

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for the quick responses. F116 didn't appear to be blown, but it was. Replaced it and the game is running perfectly. I have had zero issues with this game for 3+ years, but I recently added the MikeD hologram mod and the color DMD. I am thinking the extra 12v draw must be hitting a weak rectifier or capacitor. Probably time to send the power driver board to Clive for a going through.

Thanks, Rob

#6 9 years ago

Thanks for the response. Has anyone else run into this issue with their Creature's having too much load for the circuit while running the color DMD and the hologram mod? My Creature is all original, low play, HUO game, with matching boards that all look to be a great shape.

I don't have any other mods on my Creature...I see other Pinsiders with the backboard mod, playfield lighted cars, etc....plus the hologram mod and the color DMD. Do folks that have all of those mods have external power supplies or are they running everything off the PDB?

Both the hologram mod and color DMD are just incredible upgrades to my Creature. I need to pull the PD board out and do some testing and I am hoping it will just be a weak BR. If I need to run an external power supply I will, in order to keep both mods, but I am hoping it won't come to that.

Thanks again, Rob

2 weeks later
#8 9 years ago

Update...got my PD board back from Coin-Op Cauldron and my Creature is now running perfectly with the hologram mod and Color DMD. From the report from Coin-Op, my PD board definitely needed some work. Thanks for the responses!

Rob

#10 9 years ago

I tested my PD board prior to shipping it out and I believe the main cause of the F116 fuse blowing was a bad 12v bridge rectifier. Here is all of the work Coin-Op did to my board and why I wanted to have it fully serviced vs. replacing just the one bad bridge rectifier...well worth the $88 +shipping:

Williams WPC-1 Power Driver board: C2 (100uf/50v/105c), C4 (100uf/16v), C5, C6, C7, C11 (4x 15000uf/25v/105c) and C8 (100uf/100v/105c) capacitors. BR1 and BR2 (2x GBPC3506) bridge rectifiers. U7 and U8 (2x 4n25) Opto-coupler ICs as standard. J101, J114, J115, J120 and J121 upgraded to high temperature headers. 0.33uf/35v military grade tantalum capacitor (C9). 10k 1/2 watt resistor (R260). LM323K 5 volt regulator (ST) plus sil-pad. +5 volt boost modification (12 ohms). Fuses removed and checked. Reflow. Board cleaned-up. Two-tier full functional testing.

#11 9 years ago

Well...I thought I had this problem solved, but even with my newly refreshed PD Board from Coin-Op Cauldron...the F116 fuse just blew again after my CFTBL ran in attract mode for about 30 minutes.

So I know it's not a PD board issue and it seems that with just the color DMD and hologram mod, it should not be too much load on the circuit. A few folks have chimed in on this thread that a running the same mods plus and are not having any F116 issues.

I have been running the hologram mod for several months and this issue just popped up when I installed the color DMD...could I have done something incorrect in the color DMD install to cause this issue?

Thanks, Rob

#14 9 years ago

I am kind of stumped at this point as to why the F116 fuse continues to blow. PD Board has been fully refreshed and just the hologram mod and the Color DMD shouldn't be enough to overload the 12v while in attract mode.

Not sure what else I can do other than remove the Color DMD until MikeD's Universal WPC Power Supply MOD is ready.

1 week later
#19 9 years ago

How is the larger fuse working out after a few days? Is that bad for the PDR and/or the game to up to fuse from 3a to 4a?

I ended up just taking out the ColorDMD and putting it in my WH2O. Since removing the ColorDMD from the CFTBL, I am not having any further F116 issues. I am just going to wait until MikeD's Universal WPC Power Supply MOD is available, then get another ColorDMD for my CFTBL.

The ColorDMD on the WH2O is fantastic...my plan was to just put it there until the CFTBL was ready for it, but now it looks like I am going to have to buy another one. So cool how easy it is to download the ROMs and swap between games.

Thanks, Rob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

€ 24.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider netminda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-dmd-issue?tu=netminda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.