(Topic ID: 96628)

Updated Colors/Pics*CFTBL Custom Painted/Cleared Legs/LB/SR - Whaatcha Think?!

By Jesterfunhouse

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Whattcha Think!!!!!”

• Tacky! Should be one color.... 39 votes
    40%
  • Tacky! Should be Darker color 0 votes
  • I like the two tone (Blondtalls Choice) 15 votes
    15%
  • I would like it more if it matched the colors of the machine better... 7 votes
    7%
  • I think JESTERFUNHOUSE has lost his mind...AGAIN!... 4 votes
    4%
  • Maybe I would like my legs/siderails/lockdown bar custom painted and cleared also and I will PM Jesterfunhouse 2 votes
    2%
  • I don't have a creature but this gives me ideas for my own machine... 3 votes
    3%
  • Keep them the original color... 20 votes
    21%
  • I like to Troll the Polls.... 7 votes
    7%

(97 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 38 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20140901_131640.jpg
20140901_131814.jpg
20140901_081614.jpg
20140901_081528.jpg
20140901_131827.jpg
20140901_081551.jpg
20140901_081424.jpg
DSC00572.JPG
DSC00585.JPG
DSC00584.JPG
DSC00583.JPG
DSC00577.JPG
DSC00575.JPG
DSC00573-928.JPG
DSC00574.JPG
image-715.jpg

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

Flash Off
20140823_103841.jpg

#52 5 years ago

Flash On
20140823_103824.jpg

#53 5 years ago

Personally, I think the original gunmetal color is the best looking on creature. These purple legs might would look good on CV though. But in the end, it is your game, so do what ever you like!

#54 5 years ago

It's hard to see the pearl bits, but I know it's hard to photograph things, especially LEDs and paint colors. I'm not judging the colors as to how it looks on whichever game, because that's all personal preference anyway, but I really like the color and finish. I've always liked the glossy candy colors, and think this is a very nice purple.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

It's hard to see the pearl bits, but I know it's hard to photograph things, especially LEDs and paint colors. I'm not judging the colors as to how it looks on whichever game, because that's all personal preference anyway, but I really like the color and finish. I've always liked the glossy candy colors, and think this is a very nice purple.

Thanks for the feedback and I agree photographing is hard to show as you can see it looks totally different depending on the lighting. The cool thing is I have sat in his shop and flipped through hundreds of color options. We could do this basically in ANY color from Black to white and anything in between including two tone.

#56 5 years ago

Jester...

Although I prefer the depth of color and finish liquid paint provides, powder is a less expensive and more durable option for pins.

As a pro with over 20 years in the biz too, there is no way I would begin to paint trim as a business for others, as most consumers do not understand the mechanical properties of liquid paint and would be constantly coming back asking for warranty/repair issues.

Liquid paint is designed to chip to the primer layer to protect the substrate, given that, the area where the leg bolts are tightened down, the edges of the legs, and the edges of the lock down bar all will chip easily in all but the most pampered environments. That said, if folks understand that up front, are willing to ante up for the increased cost of liquid paint (materials and time), and you and your brother need an extra income stream, go for it!

Nothing rivals the depth and beauty of a nice liquid paint finish, but damn, for the money and durability, powder it tough to beat.

cheers,

rody

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from Rody:

Jester...
Although I prefer the depth of color and finish liquid paint provides, powder is a less expensive and more durable option for pins.
As a pro with over 20 years in the biz too, there is no way I would begin to paint trim as a business for others, as most consumers do not understand the mechanical properties of liquid paint and would be constantly coming back asking for warranty/repair issues.
Liquid paint is designed to chip to the primer layer to protect the substrate, given that, the area where the leg bolts are tightened down, the edges of the legs, and the edges of the lock down bar all will chip easily in all but the most pampered environments. That said, if folks understand that up front, are willing to ante up for the increased cost of liquid paint (materials and time), and you and your brother need an extra income stream, go for it!
Nothing rivals the depth and beauty of a nice liquid paint finish, but damn, for the money and durability, powder it tough to beat.
cheers,
rody

^^^^ This. Powder can't do what paint can do in the hands of a skilled craftsman but it's way more durable and has tens of thousands of color options. That split down the middle candle purple / green is accomplished with powder as well.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from Rody:

Jester...
cheers,
rody

Thanks for the advice I really do appreciate it. To be honest we are doing this because it is fun and if we make some extra bucks that is great. I think this is definitely for the personal home market. I would be happy to report any chiping etc but so far no issues with the legs. We are experimenting and have given some people really good deals to let us show what we can do as an option and to get feedback on how it looks and holds up. People that have contacted me are looking to do something different to make it stand out or make it POP.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I didn't insult anyone? In any event the nudging it was does it. The friction coupled with carpeting causes wear. Think when 2 cars rub together. Paint transfer occurs due to the friction.

paint transfers when rubbed, but it does not repaint the other item. There is no, for lack of a better term, "absorption" of the transferred paint. It can stick but that's all surface and not a stain.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Here is the latest. My Brother did a Custom paint job for a customer on Pinside of all the outside metal parts in "Creature Purple". This is done with car paint and cleared just like a custom car paint job. My Brother has 20 years in the business. I put the side rails and lock down bar on my Creech to get a feel of the end result.

20140823_070813.jpg 121 KB

20140823_065701.jpg 104 KB

20140823_065730.jpg 117 KB

20140823_065739.jpg 150 KB

20140823_070006.jpg 108 KB

20140823_070054.jpg 133 KB

Am I the only one who thinks the hinges are gonna chew the paint off the rails the first time the head is folded?

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Am I the only one who thinks the hinges are gonna chew the paint off the rails the first time the head is folded?

What have people experienced with Powder Coating? I know people have had their side rails and hinges painted. Any issues?

#62 5 years ago

What have people experienced with Powder Coating? I know people have had their side rails and hinges painted. Any issues?

Good powder prepped properly doesn't flake.. it definitely scuffs though. Neither are infallible but paint isn't as durable on items that are going to be constantly exposed to things like skin oils.

#63 5 years ago

PC is way more durable, paint will scratch off full and flake easily if the hinges rub it, same for the end of the rails under the lockdown bar.

#64 5 years ago

I custom painted my SM several years ago using automotive paint and clearcoat. I got the paint from a well known automotive paint seller. He gave me a sample book and told me if I didn't find the color I wanted he would mix it for me. On my SM after I base coated the legs, side rails, hinges, lock bar, coin door, shooter housing, speaker panel and apron with blue (same exact color as my truck!!) I got other colors from him and custom painted details on the separate pieces then cleared everything. Last year I got a Metallica, and my husband wanted it custom painted also...so I did the same with it. Only different colors (the base color which had gold flake silver flake and mother of pearl in it was not cheap either) and I couldn't find a purple that suited me for details so my paint guy made it for me...he calls it Metallica Pinball purple. Just this Summer I got a CSI, and have already custom painted it as well. The automotive paint holds up great so far. I have had my games to several shows (and they will be going to Expo in Oct.) with little to no wear, the hinges do not rub on the side rails so no issues with that. The only issue I have had is when my husband goes to lower the PF and it isn't straight, and he hits the side rails and nicks the paint... after yelling at him! I just get out the touch up bottles I had mixed and touch it up. and it is good to go.

Phoebe
P5260004_01.JPG
P1010024.JPG
P1010012.JPG
P7230007.JPG

#65 5 years ago

That CSI looks slick! Nicely done!

#66 5 years ago

Finish looks good , people will have their opinions on color that's fine let people choose their color if they like it and it's done well that's all that matters . To protect the legs get these http://www.pinballlife.com/index.phpp=product&id=2517
and send them with your trim . or you can go to hardware store and get nylon washers for cheaper but the washers from pinballlife are thicker and I think a superior product to the washers I've found at hardware stores . Is automotive paint as durable as powder , No . But you can do so much more with the liquid automotive paint . Also I personally have a game that has parts painted with automotive paint that I took to 2 shows a year 3 years in a row . So it was being taken apart 2 times a year, transported , and played by many people . Although most people at shows are very respectful , you do get some that just don't care how much time someone has into game and don't treat the game as you'd hope , Anyways its a good test and the automotive paint has held up just fine .

#67 5 years ago

Remember...whether liquid or powder, the key is proper surface prep and thin application. Done correctly, neither should have interference issues.

r

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from Rody:

Remember...whether liquid or powder, the key is proper surface prep and thin application. Done correctly, neither should have interference issues.
r

To be Honest I know ZERO about painting but my brother is a car painter by trade not as side work. He definitely knows his stuff and does the prep work right. He is helping me tinker around with this for fun but it is not like he goes and buys a bunch car paint. He is doing it in the body shop with full access to colors and clear. I think these will hold up well just like your car.

#69 5 years ago

I think these will hold up well just like your car.

Unfortunately, no.

The more edges you have to work with, the greater the potential for chipping due to the lack of surface tension. Cars are big and fairly flat so distribute the external stresses well across a broad area. The thin edges of many pin pieces will release liquid paint under stress for two reasons; the first is that paint/powder tends to thin under application due to the shape and lack of surface area of each edge, the small profile of the edge does not distribute the mechanical force well which facilitates release of the top layers from the primer layer.

You and your brother should definitely continue to experiment and provide a service to the community at a hobby level with liquid paint...it is certainly durable enough for home use when properly cared for and gives an exquisite finish.

For rugged durability, powder is the way to go.

For the best attributes of both, it's time to look at ceramic...remember, you heard it here first

Good luck and have fun,

rody

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

All hinges (should!) have a thick washer between the body and the hinge so the hinge should never touch the side rail. There is a few MM gap between the two.

rd.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

All hinges (should!) have a thick washer between the body and the hinge so the hinge should never touch the side rail. There is a few MM gap between the two.
rd.

They shouldn't touch, but when dropping the head down most people are on one side of the machine which can lead to the head torquing and it can rub. I'd just be more concerned with paint than powder, paint is so much more easily damaged. the hinge would act like scissors if it made contact just shearing off large flakes of paint. even rings on someones hand can be an issue.
That being said, I'm not doing either to my machines. I just put it up as a potential issue to watch for.

#72 5 years ago

Just got all of my creature parts back from jesterfunhouse and I am very impressed! Jesterfunhouse is very easy to work with an he kept me updated during the process. Everything came back to me organized and packaged very well. I chose to go with all purple and these parts really pop. Even if you don't like my color choice, you can't deny the magnificent craftsmanship. Remember Jesterfunhouse is able to do many different colors, one that I would love to see is a BSD with all the metal done in blood red! The purple has a ton of depth and in person you can really see the pearl. The camera doesn't do the paint job justice. I have a couple of cell phone pics to share now and I will post more tomorrow with everything installed

#73 5 years ago

image-614.jpg

#74 5 years ago

image-26.jpg

image-966.jpg image-715.jpg
#75 5 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

Just got all of my creature parts back from jesterfunhouse and I am very impressed! Jesterfunhouse is very easy to work with an he kept me updated during the process. Everything came back to me organized and packaged very well. I chose to go with all purple and these parts really pop. Even if you don't like my color choice, you can't deny the magnificent craftsmanship. Remember Jesterfunhouse is able to do many different colors, one that I would love to see is a BSD with all the metal done in blood red! The purple has a ton of depth and in person you can really see the pearl. The camera doesn't do the paint job justice. I have a couple of cell phone pics to share now and I will post more tomorrow with everything installed

Thanks for the kind words!!! I should be picking up the GREEEN ones that people have wanted to see and I hope to have them installed this weekend. Can't wait to see your machine all PURPLEXED!

#76 5 years ago

I finished installing all of my fresh creature purple parts and snapped a few shots to share. I also added purple super bands on the flipper bats and super bands purple post sleeves to the play field. The purple accents really look nice on the machine. I have a smaller collection, 3 pins right now and i never have above 5 at one time. My creature sits next to a tmnt which has a lot of green, that aided in my decision to do creature in purple. The clear is so shiny that in one of the pics of the side rail, you can see Pinbots reflection!!! I am 100% satisfied with how creature turned out! I am in the process of modding this machine out and having jesterfunhouse paint and clear everything on the outside was a great start to the process!

DSC00573-928.JPG DSC00574.JPG DSC00575.JPG DSC00577.JPG DSC00583.JPG DSC00584.JPG DSC00585.JPG DSC00572.JPG
#77 5 years ago

Shit ! did you put the painted levelers on your game ? Well there goes your carpet , might as well start looking for a new house .

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Shit ! did you put the painted levelers on your game ? Well there goes your carpet , might as well start looking for a new house .

Lol, I did. I don't think it will be an issue, if it is I will have a good excuse to lay new carpet in the basement arcade!

#79 5 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pictures athenspin. Looks very nice!

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

I finished installing all of my fresh creature purple parts and snapped a few shots to share. I also added purple super bands on the flipper bats and super bands purple post sleeves to the play field. The purple accents really look nice on the machine. I have a smaller collection, 3 pins right now and i never have above 5 at one time. My creature sits next to a tmnt which has a lot of green, that aided in my decision to do creature in purple. The clear is so shiny that in one of the pics of the side rail, you can see Pinbots reflection!!! I am 100% satisfied with how creature turned out! I am in the process of modding this machine out and having jesterfunhouse paint and clear everything on the outside was a great start to the process!

DSC00574.JPG 216 KB

DSC00573-928.JPG 201 KB

DSC00575.JPG 226 KB

DSC00577.JPG 222 KB

DSC00583.JPG 256 KB

DSC00584.JPG 259 KB

DSC00585.JPG 201 KB

DSC00572.JPG 182 KB

Wow that looks great I am happy you like the results! Thanks for sharing the pictures of the Finished machine. I should be Sharing pictures of the GREEN Version later today.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from creaturemonster:

Thanks for sharing the pictures athenspin. Looks very nice!

Thanks I appreciate it.

#82 5 years ago

Very nice looking! Compliments!

(think, this with the bi-color legs would finish it off )

#83 5 years ago

The purple looks great! I'm not usually a huge fan of colour on BW pins but that does look good.

rd.

#84 5 years ago

Here are the Finished Green Side Rails/Lock Down Bar/Legs. This is with the flash on for the most part.
20140901_131814.jpg20140901_081614.jpg20140901_081551.jpg20140901_081528.jpg20140901_081424.jpg20140901_131827.jpg

#85 5 years ago

20140901_131640.jpg

#86 5 years ago

I appreciate all of the positive feedback, going all purple was risky but I think it came out great too! The green really looks nice as well!

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The purple looks great! I'm not usually a huge fan of colour on BW pins but that does look good.
rd.

Thanks for the nice feedback "RD" aka "The Legend from Down Under"...

#88 5 years ago

I don't like color on games but that looks good.

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

I don't like color on games but that looks good.

Thanks. A friend of mine wants a Blue color for his Addams Family...that will be our next test subject!

#90 5 years ago

Thanks for the nice feedback "RD" aka "The Legend from Down Under"...

** blush **

The green looks ok too, but I prefer the purple ...

rd.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside