(Topic ID: 96628)

Updated Colors/Pics*CFTBL Custom Painted/Cleared Legs/LB/SR - Whaatcha Think?!

By Jesterfunhouse

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Whattcha Think!!!!!”

• Tacky! Should be one color.... 39 votes
    40%
  • Tacky! Should be Darker color 0 votes
  • I like the two tone (Blondtalls Choice) 15 votes
    15%
  • I would like it more if it matched the colors of the machine better... 7 votes
    7%
  • I think JESTERFUNHOUSE has lost his mind...AGAIN!... 4 votes
    4%
  • Maybe I would like my legs/siderails/lockdown bar custom painted and cleared also and I will PM Jesterfunhouse 2 votes
    2%
  • I don't have a creature but this gives me ideas for my own machine... 3 votes
    3%
  • Keep them the original color... 20 votes
    21%
  • I like to Troll the Polls.... 7 votes
    7%

(97 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140901_131640.jpg
20140901_131814.jpg
20140901_081614.jpg
20140901_081528.jpg
20140901_131827.jpg
20140901_081551.jpg
20140901_081424.jpg
DSC00572.JPG
DSC00585.JPG
DSC00584.JPG
DSC00583.JPG
DSC00577.JPG
DSC00575.JPG
DSC00573-928.JPG
DSC00574.JPG
image-715.jpg

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Lets try this again and have the full poll...

My Brother is a Professional Car painter and we have been experimenting with custom painting pinball legs/side rails etc. Here is our latest creation (See pictures) and I was looking for some feedback on how they look and what people think. We have basically unlimited options on colors and he has 20 years experience so is talented enough to do two tones as he did in this case and other crazy options for all different machines.

I know that this being PINSIDE that my Pinball brothers and sisters (BLONDTALL!!!) will have no problem giving critical honest feedback so feel free to be as honest as possible and have fun! I may create a poll and TROLL if you must but real feedback is more productive!

#3 9 years ago

Pictures..........

#4 9 years ago

pics

#5 9 years ago

Top View...20140703_210052.jpg20140703_210052.jpg

#6 9 years ago

Side View 20140703_210152.jpg20140703_210152.jpg

#7 9 years ago

Underside...

20140703_210208.jpg20140703_210208.jpg
#8 9 years ago

On the Game View...20140705_182420.jpg20140705_182420.jpg

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Pictures..........

PATIENCE!!!! My Brothers!

#10 9 years ago

...and Sisters (Sorry Blondtall)

#12 9 years ago

I like them. Now if you can do the bolts the same way.

#13 9 years ago

I like them? What are your ideas for a Funhouse? price?

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I LOVE FUNHOUSE! I think I would do blue on both sides but maybe some rainbow stripes down the middle or is that WAY too tacky!

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I like them. Now if you can do the bolts the same way.

Bolts and feet are no problem I make sure to just do the heads as I found out the hard way they wont screw in if you paint em LOL.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Another thought what about a rich color blue with multiple color sparkles mixed in....

#17 9 years ago

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. ;-

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. ;-

Ohhh Mr. Kelly come on I want to experiment in the mad scientist's lab....can I have the keys...

#19 9 years ago

They look great, would love to have a set for my creature. Price?

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

Hey Send me a PM and we can work something out. It all depends on if you want new legs or want to send me your legs. Also we can do the side rails and lock down bars to make everything match and do it however such as the just purple or just green.

#21 9 years ago

Looks like I have a deal with another pinsider to do legs/side rails/lock down bar/bolts Hot Rod Red and Gold stripe...for his IRON Man. I will post how they come out in case anyone is interested in doing the same

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

Thanks for your PM looks like we can work this out do to the solid Purple! Anyone else interested or have some ideas?

#23 9 years ago

I don't know how well automotive clearcoat will work on lock down bars from a durability stand point. I want to say I read here that it doesn't hold up well.

#24 9 years ago

These would look great on a CV!

#25 9 years ago

I see we finally got thread 2.0 going.

Yes, I approve of more/bigger/brighter color and the 2 tone, especially on cabinets that are primarily 2 colors like Creature. I haven't ventured into powdercoating/coloring any of my pins yet, other than spray painting Spiderman's legs since it was in a fire before we got it. Now I kinda want something to match my T Rex, but sadly none of my pins are hot pink.

image-726.jpgimage-726.jpg

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I see we finally got thread 2.0 going.
Yes, I approve of more/bigger/brighter color and the 2 tone, especially on cabinets that are primarily 2 colors like Creature. I haven't ventured into powdercoating/coloring any of my pins yet, other than spray painting spiderman's legs since it was in a fire before we got it. Now I kinda want something to match my T Rex, but sadly none of my pins are hot pink.

image-726.jpg 158 KB

Just say the word and we will HOT PINK all of your JP metal!!! That would be AMAZING! I have a JP myself great game!!!

#27 9 years ago

I think you could paint the bolt heads purple on the green legs, and green on the purple legs to add some more contrast.....

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from 82Trooper:

I think you could paint the bolt heads purple on the green legs, and green on the purple legs to add some more contrast.....

How exactly would that work when the outside of the leg is both colors?
And this looks more CV than Creech (if this was a good idea at all)

1 month later
#29 9 years ago

Here is the latest. My Brother did a Custom paint job for a customer on Pinside of all the outside metal parts in "Creature Purple". This is done with car paint and cleared just like a custom car paint job. My Brother has 20 years in the business. I put the side rails and lock down bar on my Creech to get a feel of the end result.
20140823_070054.jpg20140823_070054.jpg20140823_070006.jpg20140823_070006.jpg20140823_065739.jpg20140823_065739.jpg20140823_065730.jpg20140823_065730.jpg20140823_065701.jpg20140823_065701.jpg20140823_070813.jpg20140823_070813.jpg

#30 9 years ago

I approve of the 'purple people eater' Creature color.

#31 9 years ago

I just don't like all the colors put on these machines. It makes them look like children's toys instead of the machinery they actually are. The chrome looks the best or stainless. IMOA.

#32 9 years ago

The purple may not be my first choice....I can see it on CV, but what a beautiful job!

I think when its all done, it will be amazing!

#33 9 years ago

I am with fiberdude120 with chrome looking the best but if I had to paint the parts I would have them painted in the light green the creature. Great job! You couldn't ask for a better finish on all those parts.

#34 9 years ago

If he paint this silhouette in black on green legs that would be nice.

cftbl.jpgcftbl.jpg
#35 9 years ago

Word to the wise.. Don't use those leg levelers. Unless you want your carpet to be permanently purple.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The purple may not be my first choice....I can see it on CV, but what a beautiful job!
I think when its all done, it will be amazing!

Thanks Art! The color was the choice of the customer. He really wanted it to be purple but my brother can do just about any color. Its hard to see from the pictures but it is purple with a little sparkle of pearl in there and clear coated. We also reapplied new double-sided sticky tape to the side rails like the original that is just peel and stick.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

I don't know how well automotive clearcoat will work on lock down bars from a durability stand point. I want to say I read here that it doesn't hold up well.

Automotive paint and clearcoat is durable ,It's used on cars that are exposed to harsh elements that a pinball machine will never endure . If people have had problems with durability it is most likely caused by someone putting it on improperly . OP has said that his brother has 20 years experience and his work looks good I don't think Durability will be an issue .

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Automotive paint and clearcoat is durable ,It's used on cars that are exposed to harsh elements that a pinball machine will never endure . If people have had problems with durability it is most likely caused by someone putting it on improperly . OP has said that his brother has 20 years experience and his work looks good I don't think Durability will be an issue .

Lol you thumbs downed me about the levelers comment? It's a great idea to paint the piece of the levelers that touch the ground on a game that gets nudged. <sarcasm>

#39 9 years ago

Working on two units now went with a total different purple. I'll post soon so you can see it.

#40 9 years ago

Green is sweet alone.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Lol you thumbs downed me about the levelers comment? It's a great idea to paint the piece of the levelers that touch the ground on a game that gets nudged. <sarcasm>

I thumbed you down because I disagree with your statement . The paint is dry on those levelers , do you honestly believe that it is going to paint the carpet if nudged ? How about a friendly bet and a little experiment ? I will paint some leg levelers and put them on some of my games and we can give them a month on there (longer if you want). If they paint my carpet I will lose the bet , if they do not paint my carpet you lose . I'll keep it friendly (no money) I'll wager a LIONMAN t-shirt . Assuming you want to take this bet what would you like to put up(something around a value of $15 because that's what the shirt is worth) ? Cmon man ! Take this bet , It will be fun, friendly, and informative . and you may get a LIONMAN shirt out of the deal .
Cheers
Doug

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I thumbed you down because I disagree with your statement . The paint is dry on those levelers , do you honestly believe that it is going to paint the carpet if nudged ? How about a friendly bet and a little experiment ? I will paint some leg levelers and put them on some of my games and we can give them a month on there (longer if you want). If they paint my carpet I will lose the bet , if they do not paint my carpet you lose . I'll keep it friendly (no money) I'll wager a LIONMAN t-shirt . Assuming you want to take this bet what would you like to put up(something around a value of $15 because that's what the shirt is worth) ? Cmon man ! Take this bet , It will be fun, friendly, and informative . and you may get a LIONMAN shirt out of the deal .
Cheers
Doug

I'm not a betting man but 10 years of powdering experience and nearly 4000 games powdered I know it happens. Any game that is nudged around regardless of "dry" paint is going to cause problems. But again it's not my floor so I don't care. But please don't give anyone bad information on a hunch. And just because you mentioned that ridiculous lionman thing makes me cringe.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I'm not a betting man but 10 years of powdering experience and nearly 4000 games powdered I know it happens. Any game that is nudged around regardless of "dry" paint is going to cause problems. But again it's not my floor so I don't care. But please don't give anyone bad information on a hunch. And just because you mentioned that ridiculous lionman thing makes me cringe.

Op has stated that he is using automotive paint , not powder . You may very well be correct about the painted levelers permanently painting the carpet , I disagree .I'm willing to risk wrecking my carpet and put a LIONMAN shirt on the line to find out . All you are willing to do is insult me . That's fine I'll do the experiment anyways . I will start my own thread here on pinside to post pics and report my findings and I fully admit that my experiment may prove you right . I won't give people bad information based on a hunch . I will put the painted levelers on a few of my games and find out for sure what they will do . I will post the information and pictures on a thread I will start today , I won't be able to get levelers painted til Monday but I will start thread so I do not clog up the OP's thread with my comments .People will be able to whatever they want with the information I provide with my experiment .

#44 9 years ago

I didn't insult anyone? In any event the nudging it was does it. The friction coupled with carpeting causes wear. Think when 2 cars rub together. Paint transfer occurs due to the friction.

#45 9 years ago

The purple looks good.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I didn't insult anyone? In any event the nudging it was does it. The friction coupled with carpeting causes wear. Think when 2 cars rub together. Paint transfer occurs due to the friction.

Please post your comments on this subject to this thread that I started .
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-painted-levelers-permanently-stain-your-carpet-lets-find-out-together#post-1855310
Thank you
Doug

#47 9 years ago

Hey everyone I appreciate all of the feedback and I don't mind if people like or don't like it. Thats why I posted it to see what other people think. Lets keep it cool brothers and sisters

Just to clarify this is not powder coating this is custom car paint/clear done in a body shop with professional grade equipment and resources. My brother has been painting cars professionally for 20 years and the results on items he has done for me have been of the highest quality and finish. This is not taking a can of spray paint to the metal or home depot paints. We want to experiment and do high end paint jobs for anyone interested at a reasonable price. We both have fun doing it and making a little money on the side is great too. This paint will not rub off on your carpet but if there is concern don't have us paint the feet.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

you thumbs downed me about the levelers comment

It is sad to see someone whine about getting a thumbs down.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

It is sad to see someone whine about getting a thumbs down.

Considering you are the most thumbs down person on this forum and no one takes you seriously I can see why you would say that .

#50 9 years ago

To get this thread back on track (PLEASE stick to the topic FRIENDS and argue about petty things on your own thread)....

....ANYWAY I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR SOME MORE FEEDBACK/OPIONS on the paint itself...Do you like the colors, the finish, the quality, any colors you would like to see? For those who like the Green better I should be able to post samples in the next week or so. Here are close up pictures of the purple with the flash off so you can see the finish and quality and then with the flash on so you can see the pearl in the color.

20140823_103841.jpg20140823_103841.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-custom-paintedcleared-pinball-legs-whaatcha-think-1/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.