IMG_0319 (resized).JPG
IMG_0311 (resized).JPG
IMG_0310 (resized).JPG
IMG_0309 (resized).JPG
IMG_0764 (resized).JPG
IMG_0766 (resized).JPG
IMG_0765 (resized).JPG
IMG_0525 (resized).JPG
CFTBL Snack Bar Mod Signage Upgrade for v1 & v2 mods - rev1.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_0526 (resized).JPG
IMG_0525 (resized).JPG
IMG_0528 (resized).JPG
There are 299 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 8 years ago

I still don't have a CFTBL but I have your v1.0 mod. That's how much I'm a fan of this pin and I think it says a lot about how much I like your mod(s). For anything CFTBL I'll be as close to brutally honest as I can be without being a jackass. Constructive as possible.

I think your idea of bevelling one edge will help the look dramatically. Are you able to melt the edge of the light blade to round them on both edges or will that distort the light too much?

#52 8 years ago

Thanks for constructive criticism as it helps the end product be as good as possible.

My plan with a trial one this weekend is to linish the top and bottom edge at the front of a light blade to a slight round to lessen the impact of the square edge, but keeping in mind the acrylic is only 3mm think so tends to look bigger in a photo.

#53 8 years ago

Any time swinks. Your dedication to pinball and CFTBL is inspiring to me. Constructive criticism is the least I can do to help you improve your already crazy mad skillset. Enough of me patting you on the back though.

Please add me to the v2.0 list (or upgrade list from v1.0).

#54 8 years ago

thanks for the kind words, I just enjoy designing, love CFTBL - your on the list.

#55 8 years ago

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from citerne:

your added, thanks

#57 8 years ago

tested a few things today:

- sanded the front edge as well as rounding the same edge a little (top and bottom) which helps diffuse the light a little more and improve the spread of light
- in addition I made a slightly smaller diameter locator post in the middle of the light blade with the effect that you can now adjust the light blade in and out a little to gain that el wire less harsh look.

overall I think it is an improvement and makes the top light blade look thinner and a little more classic not modern and blockish.

the last 2 photos is of a 7 x led strip in a soft purple almost lilac from Comet in a attempt to give a more of a neon look. I am still positive that once I paint the top with it's finished colour the look and the light will soften a little.

thoughts as need to start ordering on Monday / Tuesday.

P1110165_copy.jpgP1110165_copy.jpg

P1110167_copy.jpgP1110167_copy.jpg
P1110168_copy.jpgP1110168_copy.jpg
P1110169_copy.jpgP1110169_copy.jpg

#58 8 years ago

Movie Poster Mod released here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-creature-movie-poster-mod#post-2796967

1.S&E(a1).jpg1.S&E(a1).jpg
625x465_3998548_12825357_1447451258.png625x465_3998548_12825357_1447451258.png

#59 8 years ago

Hi Swinks

What is the price of the snakbar mod & the movie poster mod with LCD screen?

Will you be doing a package deal

#60 8 years ago

Pretty cool stuff sir

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Hi Swinks
What is the price of the snakbar mod & the movie poster mod with LCD screen?
Will you be doing a package deal

Prices will be finalised for both in the next week and like the snackbar v1.0, I never ask for payment until ready to post out the next day.

I don't put a large markup so the snackbar would be at full price and would offer the poster mod with a small discount - yet to be determined?

I would look after any of the snackbar v1.0 guys who want to upgrade just their tops.

As for postage it is actually fractionally cheaper to send them seperately - Aus Post ??? head scratch
- the snack bar mod is just under 500grams so falls under the 0-500gm post category, the poster mod (estimating 300-400gm) packed in would tip it over the 0-500gram post to the 500-1000gram post category. It works out a few dollars cheaper to pack and send 2 boxes under 500gram than 1 box under 1kg - so no saving in postage.

#62 8 years ago

Even though I have v1, I may be interested in v2 especially if you can get closer to the EL/neon look.

(I may have another power problem as my EL wire is no linger lit, but haven't had a chance to figure out why)

#63 8 years ago

IMHO the white plastic on the sides is hurting the look/feel of this version. The original had teal colored sides I think. The white gives it a cheaper, plastic look compared to V1. Is this the final version, or are you going to add color to the sides?

#64 8 years ago

A few people have asked me about that elwire ice blue look. The el wire ones were actually white el wire and looked like a ice blue because of the aqua blue paint job. This same effect may occur again once the tops are final product printed and painted.

The final product will be solid laser bound nylon (no hollow home prints) as per the v1.0’s with 2 coats of under coat and 3 - 4 coats top coat (aqua blue) sanded in between.

The photos above are the development photos more to show the effect of the acrylic end lit lit blades and Comet Pinball have approx 6 different colour strips so a easy swap out of colours. I ordered white, purple and blue led strips to show the potentials look when I get a handful of final design tops made in Europe. So soon will be final painted samples so please bare with me.

Here is the link to Comet's new range as you can add brightness control and select different colour strips

http://www.cometpinball.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1871

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

(I may have another power problem as my EL wire is no linger lit, but haven't had a chance to figure out why)

I have in the last year about 5% of people with actual el wire / inverter problems and another 5% of people with snackbar problems that were actually power supply problems. Hence why I was not comfortable doing another run as it seemed like people with my v1.o snackbars even though pulling under 500mA is enough to crack the limit of power supply. I had a recent customer of the elwire snackbar have issues that took a little bit of effort to identify as he had a few other 12vdc mods and was popping a fuse and loosing the snackbar mod in which he was recommended to change the hologram globe to a lower wattage and his issues went away. If you have a screen mod instead of the inverter maybe the power is at the limit in which PinballMikeD has a power supply running off the mains and allows a few other mods to run off. For you first step is check the connections, check the inline fuse of the elwire version and then maybe disconnect the tail light mod or the lagoon lcd if you have them and see if the snackbar runs for over a hour - if it does it is the power supply is stretched.

#66 8 years ago

Can't wait for this mod and the movie poster mod.

#67 8 years ago

mod cost added to post 5

#68 8 years ago

pre-order list is up to date as of now - but if I sent you a message and you think the mod is too expensive that is ok, but I ask if you can please just reply with a quick message saying - "changed my mind"

thanks for the support everyone and as soon as the first 5 units arrive update wills be posted and always happy to answer any questions along the way. I will soon post a tweaked decal and will give a 1-2 days for feedback then I will have to order.

I looked deeper into joint packaging - snackbar and poster mod and there is a mild saving:

USA / Canada - $3
Europe - $4.50

If you want to buy both snackbar and poster mods but holding back due to savings in postage this may help you. My concern is the pre-order list of the 2 mods may not align but what I can do is the first package is sent at the correct full payment and the second is sent with the above $3 - $4.50 discount asap when it is your turn = equaling a joint postal cost

#69 8 years ago

Please add me to Snakbar 2.0 mod list. Thanks.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from PinBackpacker:

Please add me to Snakbar 2.0 mod list. Thanks.

send me a pm with you details as per request on post 5 otherwise can't reserve a spot.

thanks for support.

#71 8 years ago

ordered 5 tops for the proto batch with a few small changes and should get them at the very end of November so still on track to send them out by mid December and hopefully get to you guys before Christmas but have a feeling may hit traffic and not get to you until New Years ish.

Will wait for feedback and then launch in with orders for production runs.

#72 8 years ago

I own version 1.0 and absolutely love it. I posted a pic earlier in this thread (love the pink color). As mentioned above, I was blowing the 12V fuse when the creature hologram would come on. Simply replacing the creature lamp to a lower wattage took care of the issue. I think having this mod run off of a different power supply versus the 12V is a great idea. Whether you own version one or two, you definitely need this upgrade for your creature!!!

#73 8 years ago

I don't own a CFTBL (yet) but I already want this mod... very cool!

#74 8 years ago

Swinks,

Had you thought about making the snack bar 'roof' extend, on a left 90-degree angle, over the scoop hole?

It could say "ENTRANCE" above the hole, as in the entrance to the snack bar. Otherwise, that hole can be hard to notice in the game.

The lighted area above the hole could be an independent circuit, only lighting up when the shot is active.

-Brian

PS. PM sent. Get me on the list!

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from bstyles:

Swinks,
Had you thought about making the snack bar 'roof' extend, on a left 90-degree angle, over the scoop hole?
It could say "ENTRANCE" above the hole, as in the entrance to the snack bar. Otherwise, that hole can be hard to notice in the game.
The lighted area above the hole could be an independent circuit, only lighting up when the shot is active.
-Brian

Good idea!

#76 8 years ago

jady,
going back to fiftyquid's comment of it looking to "startrekky", have you considered changing the clear plastic of the blade from a flat vertical piece to something like this? that may help you achieve the retro "neon tube" look of the v1 mod

snackbar profile.jpgsnackbar profile.jpg

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from bstyles:

Swinks,
-Brian

Well I had to leave the computer and check the game out....

I hadn't considered that as originally I was planning on including the poster mod here but never 100% sold that idea to myself but the poster mod is now in the top rhs corner.

I will have a look but it means now that I have to do a new design - bugger - but I like the concept but it will affect the price ultimately due to the top getting bigger - maybe $15 or so. The "entrance" could be linked to the dome flasher via Comet's lighting products so doable.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

jady,
going back to fiftyquid's comment of it looking to "startrekky", have you considered changing the clear plastic of the blade from a flat vertical piece to something like this? that may help you achieve the retro "neon tube" look of the v1 mod
snackbar profile.jpg

- I have considered that but via a 3d printing option would be expensive,
- as well as the optic wire like in the Tron ramps but this would expensive as well

but that being said you just made me think of another option but a bit out of my abilities / time allowance is have a insert molded in a clear resin - I can definitely design it and have shapeways create a wax mold but will need to investigate if someone local can make this for me.

What are peoples thoughts on this (resin tube compoent) with the above Snackbar entrance over the scoop incorporated, still using the existing plate and locators.

Vote:
1. keep as is with acrylic blades
2. go for a resin mold which will make the mod a little / more dearer and cause delays

people might be thinking just go back to the el wire - the reason I don't want to is that it needs 12 vdc causing 5-10% of power drain issues for people and I did get feedback that people want brighter. Plus I want to go for the led strips as allows people to customise the colours easier and removes power issues.

#79 8 years ago

Now for the surprise.....

The price that I have listed for the v2.0 mod is for a fixed colour strip. The below video shows a different version that I am toying with and still having some issues with power and final lighting design so is not released yet but it is important in this conversation as it shows the potential of the acrylic light blades. The rgb is only 3 leds but intend to use 7-10 leds for a more even light spread.

It is a rgb strip with a remote to adjust and select one colour, or cycle through all colours, pulsing, strobing, with the ability to adjust the speed of colour and pulsing to a slow fade in one colour or through multiply colours. This will allow you to customise the final look.

Please note: the rgb version is not a sellable option at this stage but I am hoping it will be soon (no guarantees), so maybe with some changes as per above and this it could be available around early 2016.

I have 5 x v2.0 samples arriving next week but I am having a few days off with the family and then a week off before starting a new job so in that week I am hoping to paint these 5 x v2.0 and install with a v1.0 decals and see what people think and then possibly remain at the v2.0 or maybe a v3.0 with a entrance and resin tube with rgb lighting depending on feedback.

Enjoy and let me know what you think (note though this is a raw crappy 3print part with a decal slapped on for effect)

Jady

#80 8 years ago

a little update and some thoughts

- I have been sketching and doodling some ideas re the entrance sign / change in the snackbar top and it will partially block the led board behind it and starts to affect the locating pin (which I don't want to do as it affects the guys that may want to upgrade) as well as no longer has that sweeping look like the snackbar on the playfield which is my main inspiration and a priority of mine > so have decided to not go down that direction - sorry.

- I have done a bit of a search for a local maker to get a quote on a resin tube insert. No luck yet but I think it will make the mod more expensive and may be a challenge to get the perfect fit every time, but won't give up just yet but it will go on the back burner as want to give the perspex light blades a decent test and think once the top is painted, decalled and installed should look good.

- 5 sample snackbar tops came yesterday and probably some of the best tops from iMaterialise to date. The dome locking mech is perfect fit (so 2 less bolts for a cleaner look), light blades slide in nice (see after painting), and onto the second coat of undercoat today.

- this will be on hold for a few days after today as doing a quick trip down the coast.

P1110346.jpgP1110346.jpg

#81 8 years ago

Love your logo. Looks great!

#82 8 years ago

cheers, couldn't resist had to hide it in there

the curve in the corner near the S is for the led strip to run along and the notch in the curve is for a cable tie to restrain the led strip only if required. Other than the light blade design the external and 3 post locations is the same on the outside, more of a redesign under the hood so to speak.

#83 8 years ago

looking great so far. congrats on the new job!

#84 8 years ago

Love my Creech!!! and like your work! I will have to check into this! I am also looking for a speaker panel mod, you know where the tail lights light up and the marquee flashes, a friend of mine near Orlando scooped up one, R U doing anything like that? And another plug for ART, I just ordered a bunch of Matrix stuff, and have ordered things in the past from him, GREAT guy!

#85 8 years ago

nah won't be doing the speaker panel as that is someone else's mod and more on the electronic side of things.

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

jady,
snackbar profile.jpg

I like this orientation better.

478884.jpg478884.jpg

1 week later
#87 8 years ago

So as it turns out I finally installed my v1.0 snacker mod ... only to learn that a 2.0 was recently in the works. Oh well ... so v1.0 looks absolutely incredible to me. Fine work there Swinks. Here's a vid I created after the install. Incidentally, I had installed in about 20 minutes, including time to rivet the light dome in place. No need to remove the ramp; a 5/26 flat wrench and driver, along with a #2 phillips and hex (I think 2.5mm) was all that I needed.

Enjoy the vid ... and thanks again Swinks; top-notch work.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B045M7GFPx49aT

Brian

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

So as it turns out I finally installed my v1.0 snacker mod ... only to learn that a 2.0 was recently in the works. Oh well ... so v1.0 looks absolutely incredible to me. Fine work there Swinks. Here's a vid I created after the install. Incidentally, I had installed in about 20 minutes, including time to rivet the light dome in place. No need to remove the ramp; a 5/26 flat wrench and driver, along with a #2 phillips and hex (I think 2.5mm) was all that I needed.
Enjoy the vid ... and thanks again Swinks; top-notch work.
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B045M7GFPx49aT
Brian

thanks Brian and thanks for sharing, much appreciated and glad you like it.

#89 8 years ago

as for a update for v2.0 interested parties, still waiting on decals to be made and I was messed around by a laser cutter so getting another quote from another company.

I have 5 units painted along with lighting (thanks Art from Comet Pinball) ready so once some parts come in I will do a test fit, photos, look around video, manual and contact the first 4 people on the list. Then will touch base with everyone on the list and see if people are still interested and then start a production run.

sorry to the first group of proto testers it is not going to make it too you by Christmas, it will be January sometime - depends when the printer and laser cutter get back to me.

thanks for everyone's patience.

#91 8 years ago

I'm in. sent pm. awesome me

#92 8 years ago

thanks everyone for the interest and patience

the printer is trying hard to get the decals printed before Xmas as only open Monday - Wednesday this week.
been pleading with the laser cutter to do cutting before they close as well.

both printer and laser cutter will be cutting enough for 50 units so once it happens the ball will roll faster.

#93 8 years ago

on the day before xmas - I have 5 protos (which are really final product) finished and will do some lit install pics soon but need to help a local guy with his new game soon.

- the red domes now snap on to a locator lug inside with a small dab of hot glue to lock in place - this reduces 2 screws and gives a nice cleaner look on top as well as 1 other screw at the back removed as well.
- Comet's new 10 smd strip in place to light the light blades with a dedicated slot for extra security for a cable tie
- 2 x light blades lock in to a hidden tab as well as a post
- no power lead - should be a 5-10 minute install

more soon
P1110816_(resized).JPGP1110816_(resized).JPG
P1110818_(resized).JPGP1110818_(resized).JPG
P1110821_(resized).JPGP1110821_(resized).JPG

#94 8 years ago

Sweet!

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

Can I pay for it today on your sale?

curious on what sale ???? if shapeways I actually get the tops printed by iMaterialise in Europe as they give good discounts on multiple items and they don't have any sales. Shapeways for the top only is over $100 each sadly as everything is available via Shapeways.

I just need confirmation after the install pictures are posted later today from 16 people to warranty a production run - if I don't get it the project will not go ahead.

#97 8 years ago

Looks great Swinks. Like what you did with the hold down tie and the dome. I'm still not sold on the blades. I need to see them lit up and mock installed on a CFTBL. The power savings is still a huge selling feature.

#98 8 years ago

I'm in for this mod and I'm still looking for a nice cftbl.

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Looks great Swinks. Like what you did with the hold down tie and the dome. I'm still not sold on the blades. I need to see them lit up and mock installed on a CFTBL. The power savings is still a huge selling feature.

I think you will like it - just finished a little photo and video shoot (with white, blue and purple lighting and all brighter than the el wire), put it this way the el wire version is not going back in

Quoted from kklank:

I'm in for this mod and I'm still looking for a nice cftbl.

if keen just send me your details as per opening posts, will be averaging 10 a month and currently have orders for 28 units. No dramas as long as there is demand I will make these as a few less hassles and I am happy with the new version.

#100 8 years ago

now getting dirty looks from the family as 5.30pm Christmas Eve here so running out of time here are the photos and video will be in 4-5 hrs time lol

pinside update bug can't add photos to a current post

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

€ 24.00
€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 299 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-creature-snackbar-mod-v20/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.