You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Posters (resized).JPG
Bally - CFTBL - Poster Mod 4 (resized).jpg
4B9F2E98-8387-4552-AAA4-570808BD317A (resized).jpeg
FA5369B4-A116-429E-8266-28539030C8F0 (resized).jpeg
CFTBL Static Poster Mod - Manual rev5.pdf (PDF preview)
Gen4-Static_Poster-4A4_(resized).png
Gen4-Static_Poster-3A4_(resized).png
Gen4-Static_Poster-2A4_(resized).png
Gen4-Static_Poster-1A4_(resized).png
P1120271_(resized).JPG
P1120270_(resized).JPG
P1120267_(resized).JPG
P1120266_(resized).JPG
P1120079_(resized).JPG
P1120078_(resized).JPG
P1120072_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grb1959.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 8 years ago

Hi Jady,

This is really an ingenious mod for a great game. As was pointed out in a previous post by Pinsider 'pinnaf', the CFTBL theme is about being at the Drive-In and watching the 'Creature From The Black Lagoon' movie so a movie poster of coming attractions to the Drive-In fits the CFTBL Drive-In theme perfectly.

PM sent to get on the waiting list for the LCD version.

Gord

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Really cool mod, just an idea but a creature movie playing on that TV would be awesome too!

If you want that you can purchase the Sparky Pinball mod which does this already.

http://www.sparkypinball.com/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-mdm

Gord

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I've never liked the 4 large screws on the front of that mod. Why go to the trouble of doing up the artwork around the frame just to put 4 ugly screws through it. I'm sure they could have done hidden the screws.
Either way, this thread is for the MOVIE POSTER MOD.

Yes, I know what this thread is for and I hesitated even responding regarding the other mod as I didn't want to get this thread off-topic.

Gord

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

No worries. It's late where I am. Sorry for the ALL CAPS LOCK typing. That's not like me.

No problem at all, I think this is a pretty sweet mod by the OP.

Gord

1 month later
#59 8 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Now Showing
Now Playing
Coming Summer 1965 <---- This is the release year for Creature From The Black Lagoon
I think that covers it.
Nice work on the mod. Looks like you've eliminated the light bleeding out the sides.
My only critism is that the "on tonight" or whatever else you print out for the bottom of the sign needs a movie font or should all be in CAPS.
Do a Google Image search on "Movie Poster Marquee". All of them use CAPLOCK, some use CAPLOCK and a Marquee font.
Great work! It's fun following this along!

I believe that the movie CFTBL was released in 1954.

https://www.google.com/search?client=tablet-android-samsung&hl=en-US&oe=utf-8&safe=images&q=creature+from+the+black+lagoon&source=browser-suggest&qsubts=1452537043194&devloc=0

Gord

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

some photos of the static poster with back light photo print
flash
P1120072_(resized).JPG
no flash - really hard to capture as in person is very nicely lit, and not washed out as the camera is over exposing
P1120078_(resized).JPG
from the player perspective
P1120079_(resized).JPG

Hi Jady,

Wow, this mod is really, really nice and it fits the CFTBL Drive-In Theatre theme perfectly. What is the ETA on the mini-LCD version? I really want the mini-LCD version of this mod although the static version is also very nice.

Gord

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Thanks Gord
the lcd version ETA is hinged on when they release the new screen, hopefully I can test early Feb so available end of Feb ??? As for value for money, the lcd will be $300 AUD compared to $100 USD for the static. It takes 3mins to change out a static poster and it really does have a nice glow and is very clear to see.
cheers
Jady

Thanks for the update on the ETA. Whenever it is ready I will be a buyer.

Gord

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Although the movie was released in 1954, the game's "setting" actually takes place a few years later. I think I remember Trudeau at show was asked why the match feature had a car with a license plate of a later year (1959, I think?), and he explained that drive-in's often re-released movies during the summer from previous years, so the idea was to create that "feel" for the machine. To make it a few years after the release rather than a new release.
A little off-topic from the mod, but I thought that was interesting since it came up.

That is very true. I remember when our mom and her sister took all of us kids to the Drive-In in the late 60's (1966, 1967 or 1968-ish) to see "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" which was actually released in 1963.

I also remember going to the Drive-In in the early to mid-70's and the movies at the Drive-In back then were usually 'B' movies that had been released a few years earlier.

Gord

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

ok, we are back on, 4dsystems that supply the screen got back to me and showed me how to remove the glass screen (which voids the warranty) which is a touch panel and since the touch feature is not used this was ok.
= no glare now
they can supply the screen on special order with no touch glass (to maintain the warranty), so this is great but I might have to ask for people to prepay for the screen (when the time comes) only as I don't want to be lumped with alot of screens that can't be used for anything else, remainder would be paid when the mod is ready to be sent out.
I do have to modify the design to cover a bit of the raw screen now that the blackened part of the glass screen is gone but not a big deal.

P1120266_(resized).JPGP1120267_(resized).JPG

Very nicely done. Looking forward to getting one installed on my Creech.

Gord

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

It isn't going to fit height wise as is 33mm taller, though if I got rid of the coming soon sign it would be close but then it is wider and any wider and you start to lose view of the FILM plastic. Even though it is a empty corner it is a tight corner with the gate, plastic, top of the cabinet and very close to the backboard.
As for cost every bit counts and this screen size increases by 35% and then the black housing gets bigger and more expensive. $300 AUD was my limit and felt on the verge of being too much but any cheaper and just not worth doing it.
I will wait to early next week to see what 4D says.
thanks for your help.
As for the glare because the screen sits at a angle to suit the corner, gate and ball flow it catches light from the top lane guides and is bad enough that from the player perspective that you can't see the images clearly which is not good enough for me.

I can see that a lot of thought goes into the engineering process for this mod. Hopefully the LCD mod can still be worked out, but thanks for all your efforts just the same.

Gord

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grb1959.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-creature-movie-poster-mod?tu=grb1959 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.