You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Posters (resized).JPG
Bally - CFTBL - Poster Mod 4 (resized).jpg
4B9F2E98-8387-4552-AAA4-570808BD317A (resized).jpeg
FA5369B4-A116-429E-8266-28539030C8F0 (resized).jpeg
CFTBL Static Poster Mod - Manual rev5.pdf (PDF preview)
Gen4-Static_Poster-4A4_(resized).png
Gen4-Static_Poster-3A4_(resized).png
Gen4-Static_Poster-2A4_(resized).png
Gen4-Static_Poster-1A4_(resized).png
P1120271_(resized).JPG
P1120270_(resized).JPG
P1120267_(resized).JPG
P1120266_(resized).JPG
P1120079_(resized).JPG
P1120078_(resized).JPG
P1120072_(resized).JPG
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 8 years ago

I really like this mod, especially the changing poster pictures. I just wish I had a game it could go on. VERY nice work.

#52 8 years ago

For those taking the plunge, Shapeways has 20% code "CYBER2015" plus free shipping today.

2 weeks later
#53 8 years ago

a small update - 4DSystems sent me photos of the new proto lcd and drawings and I will model up soon and ensure that it works and if possible make the current design suitable for both as a few people have shown interest in either screen.

2 weeks later
#54 8 years ago

another small update - I just received version 2 of the parts for this mod and will be trialing in my machine in the next few days to ensure fit and look is better. Keeping in mind this revision is for the old screen with an adjustment for hopefully the new screen I hope but can't confirm that until I get a new screen when they are released in the next month. Please hold off buying the shapeways parts if you want to go for a lcd version if you want to go a Do It Yourself version.

I also received some samples of glare material to put on the screen to see if I can reduce the top lane reflection present on the screen and will hopefully test this in the next few days.

I have been finalising the Snackbar v2.0 manual and then will continue on the manual for the Movie Poster Mod and make available for people soon.

my apologies for the delay as some of it is out of my control.

#55 8 years ago

got details of the new screen so will model (this weeks mission) and finalise a universal main bracket to suit old & new LCD and static design as well as finish the static manual and get a good portion of the lcd mod manual done.

screen-capture-1_(resized).pngscreen-capture-1_(resized).png

#56 8 years ago

well had a chance today to play around and tried printing "coming soon" etc on gloss photo paper and when backlight looks great, so do not need overhead plastic at all and the designs come out nice, not washed out and the yellow "coming soon" just pops - really happy.

I revised the design and the final one (my 3rd print version) now at Shapeways will accommodate a 2015 screen, 2016 screen (still have to physically check but in my models fit nice) and a static poster option. So now people can get a housing and enjoy the static version and then simply get a programmed screen and power lead and enjoy the new mod.

Tomorrow I will have time to do install pics of the static as well as the 2015 screen with anti glare film and see what everything looks like. (though with a version 2 print with only differences on the inside to accommodate the new screen.

Once I get the static pictures I can finalise the manual which is all written up but just waiting on pictures.

Lastly with finished lcd kits I will supply a variety of "coming soon", "on tonight" on gloss photo paper cut to size saving you the hassle.

P1120054_(resized).JPGP1120054_(resized).JPG

#57 8 years ago

for the kits what would you like to have for the bottom back lit sign:
- coming soon
- on tonight
-
-
-

also suggest some colours and that way you can pick and insert, taking away the hassle of printing and sizing.

#58 8 years ago

Now Showing
Now Playing
Coming Summer 1965 <---- This is the release year for Creature From The Black Lagoon

I think that covers it.

Nice work on the mod. Looks like you've eliminated the light bleeding out the sides.
My only critism is that the "on tonight" or whatever else you print out for the bottom of the sign needs a movie font or should all be in CAPS.

Do a Google Image search on "Movie Poster Marquee". All of them use CAPLOCK, some use CAPLOCK and a Marquee font.

Great work! It's fun following this along!

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Now Showing
Now Playing
Coming Summer 1965 <---- This is the release year for Creature From The Black Lagoon
I think that covers it.
Nice work on the mod. Looks like you've eliminated the light bleeding out the sides.
My only critism is that the "on tonight" or whatever else you print out for the bottom of the sign needs a movie font or should all be in CAPS.
Do a Google Image search on "Movie Poster Marquee". All of them use CAPLOCK, some use CAPLOCK and a Marquee font.
Great work! It's fun following this along!

I believe that the movie CFTBL was released in 1954.

https://www.google.com/search?client=tablet-android-samsung&hl=en-US&oe=utf-8&safe=images&q=creature+from+the+black+lagoon&source=browser-suggest&qsubts=1452537043194&devloc=0

Gord

#60 8 years ago

cheers for the tips and extra words - but the "coming summer 1965" is too long and will look wrong sadly but that is the beauty of this mod as people can always customize by just using their printer - "Horror Night" or "Jim's Drive In" but I will provide with 4-5 different ones.

#61 8 years ago

here is a not to scale template that people can craft up custom prints

screen-capture-4_(resized).pngscreen-capture-4_(resized).png

this is a sample for when I do photos today - when you do a design leave a black border and slightly thicker at the top and bottom for a static poster version so not to see any white of the photo card

screen-capture-5_(resized).pngscreen-capture-5_(resized).png

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

here is a not to scale template that people can craft up custom prints

In inches please.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

In inches please.

what movie is that........ divide the number by 25.4

but I will supply a illustrator template for both and for the smaller lcd sign I will be giving each person half dozen different designs so they can mix it up

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

what movie is that........ divide the number by 25.4

#65 8 years ago

Thanks! I remember Googling it. I remember 1954. Then I totally checked out I guess.

Swinks, what about just "Summer 1954"? Just a thought...

#66 8 years ago

took some photos today of mods installed and the revised v2.0's are nice but v3.0's will suit a static poster, 2015 screen and 2016 screen - will post soon, but the glare plastic that I purchased did not work so some more testing to be done.

I will do a "Summer 1954" for you

I have a v1.0 proto for sale soon with the full static kit, note not suitable for either screen - selling as a static poster mod

and

I have a v2.0 proto for sale soon with the full static kit, only suitable for 2015 screen - selling as a static poster mod

each static mod will come with 3 posters as per below so people can swap out. I will offer up a price soon otherwise off to ebay.

screen-capture-6_(resized).pngscreen-capture-6_(resized).png

#67 8 years ago

some photos of the static poster with back light photo print

flash
P1120072_(resized).JPGP1120072_(resized).JPG

no flash - really hard to capture as in person is very nicely lit, and not washed out as the camera is over exposing
P1120078_(resized).JPGP1120078_(resized).JPG

from the player perspective
P1120079_(resized).JPGP1120079_(resized).JPG

#68 8 years ago

Dude, very nice!

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

some photos of the static poster with back light photo print
flash
P1120072_(resized).JPG
no flash - really hard to capture as in person is very nicely lit, and not washed out as the camera is over exposing
P1120078_(resized).JPG
from the player perspective
P1120079_(resized).JPG

Hi Jady,

Wow, this mod is really, really nice and it fits the CFTBL Drive-In Theatre theme perfectly. What is the ETA on the mini-LCD version? I really want the mini-LCD version of this mod although the static version is also very nice.

Gord

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi Jady,
Wow, this mod is really, really nice and it fits the CFTBL Drive-In Theatre theme perfectly. What is the ETA on the mini-LCD version? I really want the mini-LCD version of this mod although the static version is also very nice.
Gord

Thanks Gord

the lcd version ETA is hinged on when they release the new screen, hopefully I can test early Feb so available end of Feb ??? As for value for money, the lcd will be $300 AUD compared to $100 USD for the static. It takes 3mins to change out a static poster and it really does have a nice glow and is very clear to see.

cheers

Jady

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Thanks! I remember Googling it. I remember 1954. Then I totally checked out I guess.
Swinks, what about just "Summer 1954"? Just a thought...

Although the movie was released in 1954, the game's "setting" actually takes place a few years later. I think I remember Trudeau at show was asked why the match feature had a car with a license plate of a later year (1959, I think?), and he explained that drive-in's often re-released movies during the summer from previous years, so the idea was to create that "feel" for the machine. To make it a few years after the release rather than a new release.

A little off-topic from the mod, but I thought that was interesting since it came up.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Thanks Gord
the lcd version ETA is hinged on when they release the new screen, hopefully I can test early Feb so available end of Feb ??? As for value for money, the lcd will be $300 AUD compared to $100 USD for the static. It takes 3mins to change out a static poster and it really does have a nice glow and is very clear to see.
cheers
Jady

Thanks for the update on the ETA. Whenever it is ready I will be a buyer.

Gord

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Although the movie was released in 1954, the game's "setting" actually takes place a few years later. I think I remember Trudeau at show was asked why the match feature had a car with a license plate of a later year (1959, I think?), and he explained that drive-in's often re-released movies during the summer from previous years, so the idea was to create that "feel" for the machine. To make it a few years after the release rather than a new release.
A little off-topic from the mod, but I thought that was interesting since it came up.

That is very true. I remember when our mom and her sister took all of us kids to the Drive-In in the late 60's (1966, 1967 or 1968-ish) to see "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" which was actually released in 1963.

I also remember going to the Drive-In in the early to mid-70's and the movies at the Drive-In back then were usually 'B' movies that had been released a few years earlier.

Gord

#74 8 years ago

Cool. Nice work.

#75 8 years ago

nice background info guys, very interesting

#76 8 years ago

Static Poster Mod is complete but can't upload here as Pinside has turned off pdf uploads at the moment and a 19 page manual. Hoping J_M_ can come to the rescue for a link for me..... please

As for the lcd, have been in touch with another company for an alternative screen, on page looks good, cheaper, easier to upload images to and have a matt screen to avoid glare so bare with me "could" have a more affordable solution soon. So please don't buy any shapeways parts in the hope to upgrade from static version to the lcd version as the design could change a little.

#78 8 years ago

ok, we are back on, 4dsystems that supply the screen got back to me and showed me how to remove the glass screen (which voids the warranty) which is a touch panel and since the touch feature is not used this was ok.

= no glare now

they can supply the screen on special order with no touch glass (to maintain the warranty), so this is great but I might have to ask for people to prepay for the screen (when the time comes) only as I don't want to be lumped with alot of screens that can't be used for anything else, remainder would be paid when the mod is ready to be sent out.

I do have to modify the design to cover a bit of the raw screen now that the blackened part of the glass screen is gone but not a big deal.

P1120266_(resized).JPGP1120266_(resized).JPG

P1120267_(resized).JPGP1120267_(resized).JPG

#79 8 years ago

Swinks can you do some photos from the player's perspective?

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

camera just went flat so sometime tomorrow, the above photos are from the player view point but zoomed up, the ones the other day were half glared out but with no having a matt screen is great

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

ok, we are back on, 4dsystems that supply the screen got back to me and showed me how to remove the glass screen (which voids the warranty) which is a touch panel and since the touch feature is not used this was ok.
= no glare now
they can supply the screen on special order with no touch glass (to maintain the warranty), so this is great but I might have to ask for people to prepay for the screen (when the time comes) only as I don't want to be lumped with alot of screens that can't be used for anything else, remainder would be paid when the mod is ready to be sent out.
I do have to modify the design to cover a bit of the raw screen now that the blackened part of the glass screen is gone but not a big deal.

P1120266_(resized).JPGP1120267_(resized).JPG

Very nicely done. Looking forward to getting one installed on my Creech.

Gord

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Here you go, one with flash and one wish no flash. Camera zoomed up at 50mm = persons view point / scale

This design revision has to be tweaked to hide a little of the now exposed screen so don't worry about the white component. Also you can see the snackbar emitted light to be blue (light purple in real life)

P1120270_(resized).JPGP1120270_(resized).JPG

P1120271_(resized).JPGP1120271_(resized).JPG

#83 8 years ago

Beautiful!

#84 8 years ago

@ swinks

One thing that could use a change IMO is the font for 'coming soon', 'horror night' etc. It's a modern one and looks really out of keeping with the vintage posters and theme. I think one aping the style of those used in the 50s, 60s and 70s would tie in way better.

#85 8 years ago

nice, fits perfectly in the game, well done swinks.

#86 8 years ago

cheers guys for the feedback

I am open for any font suggestions, please post some names of correct era fonts for the coming soon etc

#87 8 years ago

Update
LCD version maybe cancelled as the company can not supply a regular screen with me removing the glass screen as this will void the screen warranty (as I would snip 4 wires for the touch function) which I am not prepared to do (void the warranty). I can order with no glass but requires a very large order which I just can't take the financial risk. I have notified them of this so waiting on a reply early next week to see what the future is.

So sadly the lcd maybe axed and only the static version being available. Will know more soon. If it is cancelled I will contact everyone on the list and let them know of their options.

Sorry everyone and valuable lesson learned - fully test and finalise before launching in a thread but I value people thoughts as it helps determine the end product which is part of the enjoyment.

The latest design at Shapeways will take a static prints, 2015 screen and 2016 screen based on drawings issued to me. Here are 4 pages with 16 designs to chop and change that will be available for a free download.

Below are 16 sample posters for the Static Poster Mod - hopefully I got some of the fonts and wording to everyone's liking, but this is the fun part as you can doodle around in a spreadsheet or art program and create your own.

thoughts?

Gen4-Static_Poster-1A4_(resized).pngGen4-Static_Poster-1A4_(resized).png

Gen4-Static_Poster-2A4_(resized).pngGen4-Static_Poster-2A4_(resized).png

Gen4-Static_Poster-3A4_(resized).pngGen4-Static_Poster-3A4_(resized).png

Gen4-Static_Poster-4A4_(resized).pngGen4-Static_Poster-4A4_(resized).png

#88 8 years ago

What about using the 35DT? It's only slightly larger and only about $20 more, and it's not touch, so no need to remove the glass. The 128-g2 and 160-g2 I use are not touch, and there's no glare whatsoever. You would probably only have to redesign the the frame slightly for size.

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

What about using the 35DT? It's only slightly larger and only about $20 more, and it's not touch, so no need to remove the glass. The 128-g2 and 160-g2 I use are not touch, and there's no glare whatsoever. You would probably only have to redesign the the frame slightly for size.

I am assuming those are 4dsystem screens as well.

I will have to check the size, as at my limit in height before fouling with things and crunch the numbers re price as all adds up

edit - did a search on those 3 screens are all appear 4dsystem screens, the 128 & 160 are too small and I really am after a rectangular screen for posters. The 35DT is 3.5" as opposed to a 2.8" so is too big plus it is a resistive touch so will have a glass screen so same problem unfortunately.

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

do you have a link, thanks for your help

Actually, it appears the 35DT is also touch. Is it the touch feature that's causing the glare? Have you removed the protective film when testing? Maybe it's the film causing the glare? No glare on the displays I'm using, but I notice a big difference in clarity when I remove the film.

I'm probably looking at the same website as you (4dsystems). I was thinking for gifs, the 43p would work, but it appears those are obsolete from the supplier I use in the states. . I'm sure there's a screen that's available that would fit size, price, non-glare, etc., especially if you're just using gifs.

Don't give up yet. This is a great idea/mod!

#91 8 years ago

From my chats with 4d as head design office is in Australia many of their screens will be changing in the next few months. It is the glare that is the issue and is is the resistive touch glass screen that is causing the issue, once you remove it it is 10x better and it still is a standard screen underneath but voids all warranty and support.

Talking to the guys the uLCD-28PTU is the best for size and function but not glare.

As for giving up I don't like defeat but this has been happening for a few weeks now and they sort of gave up last week but I made one last suggestion - see what happens. I have checked out many other screens but none have the small computer and sd card on the back. Video birthday cards were another option but when it came to questions they ignore the important ones and just don't want to use a bizzare unique hard to get screen - prefer something that would be reliable and available for a long time.

#92 8 years ago

The 43d is non-touch under $100 US. A little bigger than what you've been planning for, but still might fit in that corner , if you're willing to adjust for size. Getting the multiple poster art on the screen is not difficult. I haven't experienced the glare of a touch screen, so I don't really know what that looks like, but I know the non-touch doesn't have glare. If glare is the only issue, maybe the 43d could be a solution?

I know the mounting dimensions might be slightly different than a 43d, but I have a 43p that I can test in that corner to see if the screen size is okay.

#93 8 years ago

It isn't going to fit height wise as is 33mm taller, though if I got rid of the coming soon sign it would be close but then it is wider and any wider and you start to lose view of the FILM plastic. Even though it is a empty corner it is a tight corner with the gate, plastic, top of the cabinet and very close to the backboard.

As for cost every bit counts and this screen size increases by 35% and then the black housing gets bigger and more expensive. $300 AUD was my limit and felt on the verge of being too much but any cheaper and just not worth doing it.

I will wait to early next week to see what 4D says.

thanks for your help.

As for the glare because the screen sits at a angle to suit the corner, gate and ball flow it catches light from the top lane guides and is bad enough that from the player perspective that you can't see the images clearly which is not good enough for me.

#94 8 years ago

I hope the lcd comes through as this is the last mod that I really need for creech- I have everything else

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

It isn't going to fit height wise as is 33mm taller, though if I got rid of the coming soon sign it would be close but then it is wider and any wider and you start to lose view of the FILM plastic. Even though it is a empty corner it is a tight corner with the gate, plastic, top of the cabinet and very close to the backboard.
As for cost every bit counts and this screen size increases by 35% and then the black housing gets bigger and more expensive. $300 AUD was my limit and felt on the verge of being too much but any cheaper and just not worth doing it.
I will wait to early next week to see what 4D says.
thanks for your help.
As for the glare because the screen sits at a angle to suit the corner, gate and ball flow it catches light from the top lane guides and is bad enough that from the player perspective that you can't see the images clearly which is not good enough for me.

I can see that a lot of thought goes into the engineering process for this mod. Hopefully the LCD mod can still be worked out, but thanks for all your efforts just the same.

Gord

#96 8 years ago

'Summer 1954', 'horror night', 'next month' (king kong) & 'snackbar is open' fonts all look good to my eye. Significant improvement on the more modern looking fonts.

Re: warranty being voided by manual removal, I'd be willing to take the risk and I suspect other potential buyers would be too.

Have they mentioned whether their new products may be more suitable? I.e. non-glare

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

'Summer 1954', 'horror night', 'next month' (king kong) & 'snackbar is open' fonts all look good to my eye. Significant improvement on the more modern looking fonts.
Re: warranty being voided by manual removal, I'd be willing to take the risk and I suspect other potential buyers would be too.
Have they mentioned whether their new products may be more suitable? I.e. non-glare

cheers mate

the removal is alot easier than I thought as basically a 1mm bead of a silicon type glue around the outer edge to split open by using a small screw driver and popping it off - literally a 10 second job but the possible risk is slipping and piercing the soft screen but not if you approach the bottom of the screen as is a wider band.

the new product is more changing on the backside with no pins etc protruding past the body as they want to make all their products suitable for flush mounting. The glass screen that can be removed is the resistive touch so has 4 wires connected to it for touch function which I don't use. The soft screen is like many lcd screens, that matte finish found on many car gps's and tv's. I suppose now thinking I should try and re-programme to make sure I can as cutting 4 wires may cause other issues ????

I have asked if I can order standard screens and they remove the glass screen to maintain warranty as well as my ordering capacity.

lets see what happens.

#98 8 years ago

Well, like I say, I think the mod's good enough to take the risk of a mistake and additional cost being incurred. Also, dunno what consumer protection law is like in AU, but in EU they'd have no right to remove the warranty on that basis, unless it developed a fault related to the removal.

Hopefully the wiring isn't an issue.

#99 8 years ago

on a positive note found a great program for Mac to create gif's so quick and super super easy - GIFFUN. Simply drop images in a folder and create a file with a 240 x 320 setting and set the frame rate and gif file made so quickly.

#100 8 years ago

27-1-16 LCD option has been CANCELLED due to a few issues - the new housing with accept a 2015 screen and Gen 4 (2016) screen but due to warranty issues and long lead times and large orders required I am not prepared to take that risk. My apologies to those that I got excited and keen, sincerely SORRY. I will adjust the manual to explain how to remove the glass screen yourself, program and then people can contact me for the program and poster file if they want to do it themselves. People can also contact me for the poster pdf's to print off and use the message section if they go for the lcd option.

I will be in contact will everyone on the wait list to explain the details and there options - lucky no money involved.

From here people can go for a static poster option and just a matter of ordering the Shapeways parts, order some lighting from Comet and printing some poster - all for under $100 USD

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinkscftbl&sort=newest

I have tweaked the design so the holes to be tapped are slotted so should be easy to self tap.

If people want a bolt, allen key and poster set I can arrange those for a small fee and due to the size will be super cheap to send anywhere in the world.

Sorry everyone

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-creature-movie-poster-mod/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.