Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 32 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CFTBL Static Poster Mod - Manual rev5.pdf (PDF preview)
Gen4-Static_Poster-4A4_(resized).png
Gen4-Static_Poster-3A4_(resized).png
Gen4-Static_Poster-2A4_(resized).png
Gen4-Static_Poster-1A4_(resized).png
P1120271_(resized).JPG
P1120270_(resized).JPG
P1120267_(resized).JPG
P1120266_(resized).JPG
P1120079_(resized).JPG
P1120078_(resized).JPG
P1120072_(resized).JPG
screen-capture-6_(resized).png
screen-capture-5_(resized).png
screen-capture-4_(resized).png
P1120054_(resized).JPG

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

(CFTBL) Creature - Movie Poster Mod - is a new mod that captures some of the classic movie posters that you see displayed in poster cases when you head to the movies and in this case when you drive up to the drive-in (from the Shooter lane) and you can see what movies will be “showing soon”. I was going to keep it quiet but find people's feedback is helpful.

Post 1 - Below is reserved for the final product that will be available soon.
Post 2 - Reserved for the CFTBL Billboard Mod Manual
Post 3 - Reserved for the CFTBL Billboard Mod photos and video.
Post 4 - my other creature mods readily available.
Post 5 - mod development and after that your thoughts, questions and constructive criticism
Post 6 - further options later with sd cards.

Below will be a 112 image GIF file that will be on the LCD - coming soon (which will have a mix of car, hot girl, horror, super hero, alien posters - 11 categories in total plus some adds - snackbar menu, drive in speaker, drag events etc)

posters.gif

This mod will be available in 2 options both using the same universal main body panel.

Option 1 - is a DIY Static lit option where you can print your own mini posters, order the parts directly from Shapeways, get lighting from Comet Pinball and back light your mini movie posters and “coming soon” sign and enjoy.

Option 2 - is the LCD option. This lcd boots up on start up and runs on 5vdc. It will come preloaded with 112 images each showing for approximately 5 seconds.

EDIT 27-1-16 LCD option has been CANCELLED due to a few design issues - the housing with accept a 2015 screen and Gen 4 screen but due to warranty issues and long lead times and large orders I am not prepared to take that risk. My apologies to those that I got excited and keen. I will adjust the manual to explain how to remove the glass screen yourself and program and people can contact me for the program and poster file if they want to do it themselves.

This mod fastens to the backboard of your playfield to the right hand side and uses the fiLm plastic to fasten so is a totally removable mod with no permanent damage to your game. There are 2 tracks in the back to run lighting cable and lcd power.

There is a space at the bottom to insert your custom “Showing Soon”, “Coming Soon” banner or you can be creative and put in what ever you like.

I will supply a manual which will include sizing templates for the mini posters and “coming soon” prints.

The beauty with this mod is it is black and blends in the back of the playfield but adds some character to the game via with classic posters.

The lcd has a small processor on the back as well as a sd card slot so is totally self contained. If you know how to programme you will easily be able to swap out the posters gif file and install a new program, for the non programmer a little more effort but I will explain how it can be done in the manual. The screen is a reputable brand 4DSystems - uLCD-28PTU. “The uLCD-28PTU is a compact and cost effective Intelligent Display Module packed with plenty of features, ready to become the GUI for your target application, and capable of being an interface controller for a number of applications. “ and this is a touch operational screen as well but I am not that experienced so only using the slide show ability. Their software also allows for visual programming.

But a MASSIVE thanks to Pinsider J_M_ as he helped me by programming the slide show.

Shapeways preview

625x465_3998548_12825357_1447451258.png

Early version, final version cleaned up and easier to switch parts out and will be BLACK.

P1100985.JPG

#2 3 years ago
#3 3 years ago

This is a section for videos once the final version are totally finished.

#4 3 years ago

for those interested I have designed a few other CFTBL mods and available directly from Shapeways, in which for those in the US can get directly from Shapeways New York and only have to pay $5 USD.

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinkscftbl&sort=newest

in order of newest to oldest:

- Pinball Plunger Plate - Cadillac Bonnet
- Pinball Shooter Knob - Cadillac Steering Wheel (3 different sizes)
- Drive In Speaker Ramp Flap Cover
- Drive In Speakers on a post
- Drive In Speaker Keychain
- Replacement post for the Snackbar Mod v1.0 if yours is stripped, damaged or lost
- Tail Light Mod
- Playfield Spirit Level Bracket - Creech Green

in addition I also have a order mod - Snackbar Mod v2.0 which you can find information here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-creature-snackbar-mod-v20

#5 3 years ago

Ok to start off the first 4 posts are reserved for the final product to save you sifting through a truck load of posts to find the info you need.

The following posts are about the development of the this mod as I like to include the prospective buyers to a point through some design changes and make this mod cool. Many people know me for my engineering approach with the focus to make and supply a quality, reliable and long lasting mod.

So this mod is very close to complete with mainly waiting on final finished parts from Shapeways and believe it is almost complete in design. The power is via 5vdc from the boards in the backbox unless I determine a better location in the next few weeks.

If you interested please send me a PM:
Subject Line - Movie Poster Mod (LCD)
Details - full name, address and phone number

You PM will place you in order of priority and I do not ask for payment until your mod is finished, tested, packed. I am not the fastest as I believe in doing a quality job but will give regular updates. Alternatively you can get the all the parts from Shapeways ready for a upgrade but enjoy the STATIC option and then when ready I can ship out programmed lcd screen with a power supply lead.

The Static version should be ready for release mid December and LCD in Jan 2016 and those who have purchased a Snackbar Mod and want to purchase the full Billboard Mod kit from me will get approximately 5% discount.

cheers

Jady

#6 3 years ago

reserved announcement

#7 3 years ago

PM sent, me want!

#8 3 years ago

Do you have a ball park price range?

Thanks

#9 3 years ago

I will have prices for both the snackbar and poster mod in the next few days, sorry for the delay

#10 3 years ago

Cool idea. I would rather see clips from the Creature movies though.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

Cool idea. I would rather see clips from the Creature movies though.

cheers, though that is already done in another mod and don't want to clash with that one, this screen is a 2.8" (so is larger) and in the screen is in portrait mode but you never know it could possibly be done

#12 3 years ago

pre-order list is up to date as of now

thanks for the support everyone and as soon as the first sample unit arrives I will update this thread and always happy to answer any questions along the way.

I looked deeper into joint packaging - snackbar and poster mod and there is a mild saving:

USA / Canada - $3
Europe - $4.50

If you want to buy both snackbar and poster mods but holding back due to savings in postage this may help you. My concern is the pre-order list of the 2 mods may not align but what I can do is the first package is sent at the correct full payment and the second is sent with the above $3 - $4.50 discount asap when it is your turn = equaling a joint postal cost

#13 3 years ago

I am interested in buying a Movie Poster Mod (LCD). I send you a PM.

#14 3 years ago

samples leaving today for me but will take 7-10 days and then do a final check and do photos and video for people to check out and will finalise a manual and price then as well.

#15 3 years ago

a few extra photos to show the ease of removing the screw from the mod.
- remove one screw on top
- slide out the lcd retainer bracket
- lift the lcd out

and instead of the lcd and retainer there is another optional static poster retainer that fits into the same location for a static poster as a alternative / cheaper option

note - this test print was rough and with a portion removed as was finalising the screen fit.

P1110161.jpg
P1110162.jpg

1 week later
#16 3 years ago

more "showing soon", sorry the camera does not pick up the lit showing soon.

P1110269.JPG

P1110271.JPG

#17 3 years ago

In North America they use the term COMING SOON. I've never seen SHOWING SOON. Something you might want to consider in your design. Looks cool though!

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

In North America they use the term COMING SOON. I've never seen SHOWING SOON. Something you might want to consider in your design. Looks cool though!

thanks for that, will change before doing more pics - not sure where I got showing soon after doing a net search ??? - "coming soon" it is

and will do a black back ground with a yellow tinge to the lettering. But in the end this will be a easy mod for people to customise with their arcade name etc. Open for a few suggestions as each mod will come with a few options so people can mix it up a little.

coming_soon.jpg

#19 3 years ago

Still not the final product but keen to see the rough look, and had to use the flash as without it the camera would not pick up the images but to the player looks pretty good.

The final static version would have printed transparency film with piece of white paper behind it. Hoping to finalise the lcd screen over the weekend along with a quick video.

For the static version the power can be picked up from a GI using Comet's matrix components or again using the matrix components but connected to the back board FILM lighting with a adapter coupled with a flex socket so it flashes and stays solid with film is gained. The led strip behind the poster is a cheap strip and waiting on samples from Comet to complete the final version.

Overall the look is good as the black main housing blends in to everything with the coming soon and posters standing out simulating the poster at the entrance of the drive-in to advertise what is "coming soon".

P1110303.JPG

#20 3 years ago

I like this a lot

Did you have a price for this and the snakbar mod

#21 3 years ago

Looks great. PM me a price when it is available.

Thanks

#22 3 years ago

looks great!!

how did I not see this until this morning?!?

#23 3 years ago

do you have a price for this yet?

interested

like the movie poster (coming soon) theme better than the creature movie them... the pinball is more about drive in movie theatre stuff than it actually is about the movie Creature from the Black Lagoon

please shoot me a message or status

thanks and NICE WORK MY FRIEND!
Kenny

#24 3 years ago

Interested depending on price.

#26 3 years ago

thanks guys, I personally like both version static and video versions but on getting the samples the design needs a few little tweaks to tighten up the fit for the video version which in turn affects the static version as just want to have one design for both.

Jobs to do:
- (today) modify the design in a few places to suit the lcd as it is a tad loose.
- (this weekend) hopefully finalising the power supply for the lcd as there are a few options and just trying to work out the most user friendly location / option
- I can't finalise both versions lighting until I get some lighting from comet as want to use Art's matrix system for a easy plug and play lighting system.

#27 3 years ago

to separate the following from today's jobs,

As for LCD I inquired to 4DSystems about the screen for bulk purchasing options to reduce the price and they dropped the bomb that a new replacement version 2.8 inch LCD will be released in Mid January 2016 which will be a little different dimension wise (skinner) but the outer fastening frame will change which affects my mounting and they won't issue me with sketches until it's release, even after offering to sign a NDA.

They will still sell me the current version for another 6 months and can offer support and replacement for 6-18 months but only until stock and spares run out as so many companies use them.

Personally I would like to design for the new release version screen, as then the screen will be supported and available for many years (5-7 years) without any dramas which gives me and you all a bit of piece of mind. They are a quality screen with a small computer and sd card mounted on the back making it very compact and a complete package.

For those just wanting a static version I will finalise and make available today at Shapeways as then you can buy direct from Shapeways and start printing up poster options and swap out when you get bored, but I can't guarantee that the new screen will fit or be a good fit.

So on the pricing I can't issue that as I won't know until the new screen is released - sorry. That said I will be doing a manual or how to do it yourself (including how to program) to save a little bit but you will need to buying the programming lead.

Quoted from Pinhead1982:

I like this a lot
Did you have a price for this and the snakbar mod

The snackbar mod's price is listed and if someone buys the snackbar mod and then the poster mod they will get a 5% off the poster mod plus I will discount the postage a little on the second mod to simulate a joint post saving as these will not be going together due to screen changes which will mean a wait on screens and sample parts.

#28 3 years ago

timing - package just arrived here (Saturday morning) as they don't normally deliver on Saturdays but with Christmas they do so have a heap of samples from Art - Comet Pinball. (thanks heaps once again Art - you have been very helpful and supportive - very much appreciated).

#29 3 years ago

is the resolution of the new 2.8" screen changing?

#30 3 years ago

they haven't given me any specs and won't but apparently the same visually and still a 2.8" screen but will be slightly thinner screen and a slight change in width and height (outer mounting bracket), still has a sd card. Apart from that they wont' share anymore and that is from development team in Austria.

#31 3 years ago

Hi Jady,

This is really an ingenious mod for a great game. As was pointed out in a previous post by Pinsider 'pinnaf', the CFTBL theme is about being at the Drive-In and watching the 'Creature From The Black Lagoon' movie so a movie poster of coming attractions to the Drive-In fits the CFTBL Drive-In theme perfectly.

PM sent to get on the waiting list for the LCD version.

Gord

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi Jady,
This is really and ingenious mod for a great game. As was pointed out in a previous post by Pinsider 'pinnaf', the CFTBL theme is about being at the Drive-In and watching the 'Creature from the Black Lagoon' movie so a movie poster of coming attractions to the Drive-In fits the CFTBL Drive-In theme perfectly.
PM sent to get on the waiting list for the LCD version.
Gord

cheers Gord and pinnaf

That was my thought when I thought of it 18 months ago but the new mod location only came to me recently as I was intending putting it over the snackbar but it was too busy and was never 100% happy with it and I like the new location as it simulates the cars driving up to the drive-in entrance and seeing what will be "coming soon".

#33 3 years ago

lastly I won't be chasing and sending pm's to people posting here to send them pm's.

if you are keen please send me your details to get on the list as in the past I have wasted alot of time chasing people and found that the ones that are willing and trusting to send me their details are the keen ones.

I do not share these details with anyone and purely there to secure a position on the list and so I can finalise a final price for postage.

once the mod is finalised I will release the final price and be in contact with people on the list and if you are no longer keen your details will be removed off the list and deleted menaing others get bumped up the list.

hopefully a video by the end of the weekend for a look around the new mod.

cheers

Jady

#34 3 years ago

Tried a few different things today with the static mod, printing on transparency and then printing on paper. Printing on paper is better than on the transparency and then a small sheet of transparency can be cut to go in front of the print to gloss it up a little. The photos wash out the backlit images more than appears with your eye but it is quite effective. The "poster" & "coming soon" is linked to the "L" backboard insert and once you spell PAID it stays lit. The good thing thing is people can buy Comet's matrix system and do a easy plug and play to gi or a insert to get the effect you want. The static poster restraint houses the leds and you could choose any of Comet's strips or pads to get the look you are after.

P1110325.JPG
P1110329.JPG
P1110330.JPG

as for static poster, very easy to craft up your own, print up and slide in, swap a different set is under 1 minute. I will craft up a few and people can download and print and get the parts direct from Shapeways to save on my labour and double postage.

screen-capture-6.png

as for the lcd mod, it is good but not perfect. When I did initial tests in the design stage I left the protective film on the glass so not to scratch once removed (which I just didn't consider) shows a reflection from the top inlane guides so looses the clarity from the players point of view. From the lhs of the game say in front of a game next to your creech the screen looks great and captures the classic feel of photos at the drive-in entrance advertising what is on soon. It is 2.8inch lcd so not huge but any bigger and it won't fit. I will have to investigate to see if there is a film to place on the front to avoid the glare though when playing you are not really going to focus on the screen. As for position I can't really relocate due to width and height or looking out of place.

P1110343.JPG
P1110344.JPG

the housing has now been modified to cover a small gap around the screen but might still slightly expose the metal strip around the screen as is a nice contrast.

As for price
Static Poster Mod - version the shapeways parts would be around $75 plus $5 postage to within the US + maybe $5 -6 of parts from Comet for lighting and then a few colour prints at home = $85 USD
LCD Poster Mod - version with programmed screen etc realistically is going to be around $300 AUD = roughly $215 USD + postage. It isn't cheap so understand if people want to bail but the shapeways parts and lcd alone is about $150 AUD plus lighting, 5vdc cable, some labour and small margin.

So not sure if this still interests people and no worries if people want to bail. If so just send me a message if you are already on the list and just "sorry too much or to the like" - I won't be offended

#35 3 years ago

Nice, but I'd keep only Creature movie posters at all... anyway, your mods are cool man, but wow, so f*** expensive....

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Nice, but I'd keep only Creature movie posters at all... anyway, your mods are cool man, but wow, so f*** expensive....

unfortunately can't do much about the price and I only have a small margin on top of the actual costs - not sure why I am bothering really apart from sharing the joy.

the screen and 3d printed parts are $150 AUD alone before I account for postage and all the other bits, as a comparison the Sparky mini movie mod for a 1" screen I think it is with a small bracket and art perspex, is $122 - $142 USD = $170 - $197 AUD for a very small screen.

Also yes the pin is about the creature from the black lagoon but the game is also about the drive in experience so varied posters is relevant but it one that people can customise with their own posters.

#37 3 years ago

Shapeways is killing you. Do what Heighway did and just buy all the equipment to keep your costs down and keep manufacturing local.

#38 3 years ago

I'm still in for the LCD version. Maybe some anti glare matte film made for smart phones would reduce reflections? There's a ton of different kinds on EBAy and Amazon.

This website has some good information on different film properties
http://www.photodon.com/c/LCD-Protective-Films.html

Alternatively, maybe some kind of opaque or semi opaque plastic strategically placed between the in lane bulbs and the screen would do the job. Similar to how the bent plastic dmd glare guards work.

#39 3 years ago

It is cheaper to go to the US or Europe for 3D printing compared to Aus

The main body is large and hollow which is killing me on this mod and I don't believe in home printing as the quality is not there and it is hollow so subject to heat and deforming. Would love to do what Heighway is doing but big dollars, space etc.... so not feasible.

The screen alone works out at $92 AUD cost as it is a touch lcd with processors built in as well as a SD card and speaker (not that it is being used) so it some aspects a little high end and under used but I think it I went for multiple parts, and Pi, cabling and brackets it would be around the same price, and once the new model of this screen comes out it will be replaceable for many years giving peace of mind.

Or I have been considering stopping modding so this could be it as have alot of ideas but technology costs are against me for small runs.

I am hoping that price will come down a little and that the snackbar supporters will get 5% off that final price as well.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I'm still in for the LCD version. Maybe some anti glare matte film made for smart phones would reduce reflections? There's a ton of different kinds on EBAy and Amazon.
This website has some good information on different film properties
http://www.photodon.com/c/LCD-Protective-Films.html
Alternatively, maybe some kind of opaque or semi opaque plastic strategically placed between the in lane bulbs and the screen would do the job. Similar to how the bent plastic dmd glare guards work.

thanks for that I will investigate.

and for the static signs I will investigate and play around with different paper to reduce the wash out

#41 3 years ago

I like the entire mod with the exception of the "coming soon" banner. It appears to be warped or uncentered or just mushed into the tiny space it is supposed to occupy. At least it looks this way in the photo. There is also some light bleeding out just below the main screen. Maybe my eyes are just getting too old.

#42 3 years ago

it isn't your eyes and rightly so to point things out for a expensive item - at the end of the day I want it right especially for myself and I am my biggest critic.

yes that was a little slap dash on my part for the banner but this is totally customizable but I will improve on this - was getting late last night and mocked up a quick example.

as for the light bleed under the screen - the model at shapeways has been updated with 4 centring tabs for the current screen as well as a extra 1mm border around the front of the screen so will now hide that light bleed with the border at the bottom being extended up 3mm instead of 1mm. And the banner section is narrowed down by 1mm to match the poster.

I am in the midst of ordering another set to check and get right. 4dsystems have indicated that the screen should only be changing at the mount points so I have modified to suit old and new (hopefully).

#43 3 years ago

Really cool mod, just an idea but a creature movie playing on that TV would be awesome too!

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Really cool mod, just an idea but a creature movie playing on that TV would be awesome too!

If you want that you can purchase the Sparky Pinball mod which does this already.

http://www.sparkypinball.com/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-mdm

Gord

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

If you want that you can purchase the Sparky Pinball mod which does this already.
http://www.sparkypinball.com/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-mdm
Gord

I've never liked the 4 large screws on the front of that mod. Why go to the trouble of doing up the artwork around the frame just to put 4 large ugly screws through it? I'm sure they could have hidden the screws better.

Either way, this thread is for the MOVIE POSTER MOD.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I've never liked the 4 large screws on the front of that mod. Why go to the trouble of doing up the artwork around the frame just to put 4 ugly screws through it. I'm sure they could have done hidden the screws.
Either way, this thread is for the MOVIE POSTER MOD.

Yes, I know what this thread is for and I hesitated even responding regarding the other mod as I didn't want to get this thread off-topic.

Gord

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Yes, I know what this thread is for and I debated even responding regarding the other mod as I didn't want to get this thread off-topic.
Gord

No worries. It's late where I am. Sorry for the ALL CAPS LOCK typing. That's not like me.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

No worries. It's late where I am. Sorry for the ALL CAPS LOCK typing. That's not like me.

No problem at all, I think this is a pretty sweet mod by the OP.

Gord

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside