• Latest reply 3 years ago by stumblor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2n4403-pinout (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Shopping out a CFTBL- got to the bowl # 86 lamps. Noticed one socket is missing from board. Also one socket does not light up. Checked continuity on pins through traces to all bulbs and they check fine. Measured voltages at sockets and they are measuring 7.3 except for the socket that wont light which is 4.6 as well as the board traces where the socket is missing. Could it be the voltage is insufficient to light the bulb and the reason that this socket as well as the missing socket are reading 4.6 points to something wiring wise and not with the bowl light pcb itself? Just trying to figure out where to look. I assume I can replace the # 86 socket on this board?

#2 6 years ago

Run the actual Ramp Lights test towards the end of the test menu. The bowl only has 8 lights, of which only 6 can be on at any given time. If you put it into attract mode, the game will cycle the lights *sometimes*, so you may need to wait until the animation actually begins. Hope your bad lamp/socket comes to life!

#3 6 years ago

Thanks will try. I was testing in all lamps test while changing bulbs. Any ideas where I can find a lamp socket for the missing one?

#4 6 years ago

Thanks so much UFO- you're right the magical socket does come to life. Now if I can just locate a socket to solder onto the pads thats missing. Been looking around different electronic companies online. Not sure what to look for. I think the # 86 bulb goes into a T 1 3/4 socket for pcb. Hard to find a right angled one

#5 6 years ago

Glad to hear things are working! I remade the CFTBL chase board a few years back. I bought some T-1 3/4 sockets for a test PCB from Mouser, part number 560-2936. It's a PCB vertical mount, I'm thinking you want right-angled, so you may have to poke around until you find something compatible. Or, see if you can get the vertical socket to work with some creative soldering. Good luck!

#6 6 years ago

If you find the right socket, please post! I have a broken one as well.

#7 6 years ago

I have about 16 of these sockets now gunstar which i am going to salvage off old TZ clock boards. How many do you need?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

I have about 16 of these sockets now gunstar which i am going to salvage off old TZ clock boards. How many do you need?

Just one. PM'd

#9 6 years ago

Well I spoke too soon. Found exact replacement sockets and replaced my missing one. Ran ramp light test and only 6 bowl lights work. The two that are out are on same on trace. Continuity shows good wiring between sockets and the connect with the header pins. Dmm shows much higher voltage on this pin on wire connector.
Also noticed similar issue on main chase ramp. Smaller length board at end of ramp has 2 sockets out which are connected to each other.
Could this be a problem with the chase board? What should be testing

Thanks everyone

#10 6 years ago

Reflow solder on the chase board pins maybe?

#11 6 years ago

Test the corresponding 4403 transistors and triacs on the chase board for the traces that are out.

#12 6 years ago

Will check. Doubt it's connectors on the board. As o said it's getting voltage. It looks like it's getting too much when you measure the connectors at the lamps themselves. Testing transistors and triacs is not something i have done before. Is there somewhere I can read how?

#13 6 years ago

Here is a good explanation for triacs https://www.androiderode.com/how-to-test-a-triac-with-diode-mode/

Transistors https://www.androiderode.com/how-to-test-a-transistor-with-dmm/

the 4403 is a PNP, see here for pinout

2n4403-pinout (resized).jpg2n4403-pinout (resized).jpg

#14 6 years ago

UFO , since you have rebulit the board, perhaps you can lend me some insight as to what to check on the board . I am happy to order your board if I know that the issue

#15 6 years ago

Also asmig, I assume I just remove the board and check on the bench since its resistance we are measuring

#16 6 years ago

I rebuilt the board because my original board was cooked so badly that it was impossible to try and replace a component without destroying what was left of the board itself. The most I can tell you is if the rest of your curly ramp is lighting properly, and only the bowl has an issue, then it's not the chase board so leave it alone before you cause another issue.

There are eight large triacs on the board, four run the upper 2/3rds of the ramp, the other four run the lower part of the ramp and the CFTBL bowl lamps. Check the lower eight lights on the curly ramp and see if they mirror the problem you are seeing with the bowl or not.

PS: Be sure to test only when the ramp lights are actually chasing. If they're just lighting up and not chasing, then you will only ever see 6 of 8 lamps lit.

#17 6 years ago

The lower part of the curly ramp has two bulbs out which are on the same pin. It is identical to what is going on with the bowl. As i said earlier, when I put the dmm on the pins of the connectors all bulbs read fairly similarlypine but the pin that is controlling the bulbs that are out is about 4 times as high in reading

#18 6 years ago

Okay this morning i explored the board. Reseated the connectors and boom everything works. Doesnt explain the voltage issue but at least i know the issue is at the board. Will follow and reflow header pins if needed. Must be a temper-mental little thing

2 years later
#19 3 years ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

Well I spoke too soon. Found exact replacement sockets and replaced my missing one. Ran ramp light test and only 6 bowl lights work. The two that are out are on same on trace. Continuity shows good wiring between sockets and the connect with the header pins. Dmm shows much higher voltage on this pin on wire connector.
Also noticed similar issue on main chase ramp. Smaller length board at end of ramp has 2 sockets out which are connected to each other.
Could this be a problem with the chase board? What should be testing
Thanks everyone

Hi - apologies for the thread resurrection but do you remember where you got those replacement sockets from? Struggling to find some.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

€ 24.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-bowl-light-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.